NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
jdapplicant

Bronze

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Post by jdapplicant » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:00 pm

t14splitter wrote:What form is everyone referring to for aid? I submitted FAFSA and Need Access, but is there an additional NYU specific form?
I'm pretty sure that FAFSA and Need Access are the only two. I think Need Access is the "form" that people are referring to for aid.

Arrow4Christ

Bronze

Post by Arrow4Christ » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:Got my pizza box today, but no letter :? The paranoia continues...
i don't think there's any reason for doubt if you got the box :D
It's not that I doubt being admitted, it's that I'm paranoid that they included a scholarship offer with the letter and I didn't get it lol This law school admission process has had a curious effect on my thinking :wink:
Pizza box was your scholarship. :lol:
Haha apparently ;) Got the letter today. No scholarship, but I was relieved to receive it anyway. Back to my Need Access form...

BerkeleyMan5

New

Post by BerkeleyMan5 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Last edited by BerkeleyMan5 on Wed May 21, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:34 pm

BerkeleyMan5 wrote:Hey guys, glad to be a part of this thread! Congrats to everyone here.

Just based on reading what you guys have posted, NYU is a school that does require a need access form before you can be considered for any merit scholarships? My understanding is that this isn't generally the case for most schools, correct?
No, Need Access is not required. Send them an email saying you want to be considered for merit aid only. They will send you a link to a site with a different form to fill out. Note that if you want to be LRAP eligible you still have to provide your own financial info, but it is much less extensive than need access

Arrow4Christ

Bronze

Post by Arrow4Christ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:48 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
BerkeleyMan5 wrote:Hey guys, glad to be a part of this thread! Congrats to everyone here.

Just based on reading what you guys have posted, NYU is a school that does require a need access form before you can be considered for any merit scholarships? My understanding is that this isn't generally the case for most schools, correct?
No, Need Access is not required. Send them an email saying you want to be considered for merit aid only. They will send you a link to a site with a different form to fill out. Note that if you want to be LRAP eligible you still have to provide your own financial info, but it is much less extensive than need access
But we're still considered for merit aid regardless of whether the need access or merit only forms are submitted? Is submitting a Need Access with a low EFC still a good idea with high numbers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

But we're still considered for merit aid regardless of whether the need access or merit only forms are submitted? Is submitting a Need Access with a low EFC still a good idea with high numbers?
From info I have gathered I would do merit-only, if your EFC is >$10k

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Is there a link anywhere to RTK interview info?

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Got a phone call from an alum today. Personally I thought it was a lot nicer than an email and it gave me a lot of great information.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:23 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
I'm curious what the anecdotes were. How would they know they got a lower aid package because of this EFC threshold? Is this hunch due to people comparing offers with similar numbers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:27 pm

The NYU institutional form for merit-aid asks what schools I've been admitted to that I'm seriously considering attending. Should I wait a bit longer to see if I get into HLS and CLS (mylsn suggests that I'll get into both) so it seems like my options other than NYU are better?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:28 pm

politics89 wrote:Got a phone call from an alum today. Personally I thought it was a lot nicer than an email and it gave me a lot of great information.
On a Sunday? Interesting. No phone-calls here yet, other than the acceptance call.

kkdk

Bronze

Post by kkdk » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:34 pm

nothingtosee wrote:Is there a link anywhere to RTK interview info?
here you go: http://www.law.nyu.edu/publicinterestla ... cholarship

The 4 links at the bottom of the page are basically everything there is. The FAQ and Selection Process are especially helpful. Tried doing a forum search here but didn't find much on candidates discussing how the interviews went.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:10 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
I'm curious what the anecdotes were. How would they know they got a lower aid package because of this EFC threshold? Is this hunch due to people comparing offers with similar numbers?
In talking to current students I have heard of a few instances with nearly identical students who received different merit awards (no need based aid) with the only difference being their EFC. I think it's unlikely enough that you'll get need based aid that unless you're in a pretty low-income type situation it's more risk that reward if you do need access vs merit only.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:24 am

drawstring wrote:The NYU institutional form for merit-aid asks what schools I've been admitted to that I'm seriously considering attending. Should I wait a bit longer to see if I get into HLS and CLS (mylsn suggests that I'll get into both) so it seems like my options other than NYU are better?
That's pretty much what I'm doing. I'm waiting for Chicago and Harvard now.

residentemma

Bronze

Post by residentemma » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Hey guys... this is probably a really dumb question, but when I submitted my FAFSA, I couldn't find a New York University School of Law listed, so I just put New York University. Did I do it correctly, or do I need to add something else?

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:53 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:
In talking to current students I have heard of a few instances with nearly identical students who received different merit awards (no need based aid) with the only difference being their EFC. I think it's unlikely enough that you'll get need based aid that unless you're in a pretty low-income type situation it's more risk that reward if you do need access vs merit only.
So from rereading that financial aid email, it seems like if you're invited to interview for RTK or one of the other named scholarships, you're "encouraged" to complete NeedAccess prior to the interview. I wonder if not filling out the NeedAccess will affect the likelihood of being selected for one of the scholarships.

ShrimpToastMasters

Bronze

Post by ShrimpToastMasters » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
drawstring wrote:The NYU institutional form for merit-aid asks what schools I've been admitted to that I'm seriously considering attending. Should I wait a bit longer to see if I get into HLS and CLS (mylsn suggests that I'll get into both) so it seems like my options other than NYU are better?
What is the "NYU institutional form for merit-aid"? Could someone attach a link for it please? Thanks y'all!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:54 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
What is the "NYU institutional form for merit-aid"? Could someone attach a link for it please? Thanks y'all!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:57 pm

https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html

Note, this is only if you are doing merit-aid only as far as I know.

ShrimpToastMasters

Bronze

Post by ShrimpToastMasters » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:35 pm

lawschool22 wrote:https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html

Hmm - it does not let me log in...

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Did you request to apply for merit-only aid? You have to specifically do so by emailing the financial aid office.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:40 pm

Try a different browser. It didn't like my cookie settings in Chrome so I used Firefox and it worked.

ShrimpToastMasters

Bronze

Post by ShrimpToastMasters » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:44 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:

Try a different browser. It didn't like my cookie settings in Chrome so I used Firefox and it worked.
+1 - yup, it was a Chrome cookie problem :)

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:49 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
are you trying to say that a high EFC could mean less merit aid? If my parent's income is in the ballpark of $200k, should I not even bother with Need Access and FAFSA? Could it hurt me if i turned them in? Financial aid/merit aid is so confusing...ugh.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:00 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
are you trying to say that a high EFC could mean less merit aid? If my parent's income is in the ballpark of $200k, should I not even bother with Need Access and FAFSA? Could it hurt me if i turned them in? Financial aid/merit aid is so confusing...ugh.
Yeah that's what I'm saying, and it makes sense from an intuitive standpoint. Merit aid just means less to most people if they are going to receive support from their parents. I would still go through and fill out the FAFSA (don't submit yet) and if your EFC is around $10k or below, then you could probably submit NeedAccess. But if it's above that I wouldn't bother.

Now please note that this is not based on hard evidence or data, just from information I have learned from talking w/ current NYU students.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”