NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Theopliske8711

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:14 pm

cotiger wrote:
politics89 wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:You don't need to pay anywhere near 1500 on rent. Live in BK or even some parts of the city and you can easily live on 750-1000. It won't be the biggest room you'll ever live in, but the commute to NYU will still be relatively quick and painless. Even on campus is 1200.

I'm pretty sure you can take out as much as you'd like, NYU is just doing some basic math so that you get an understanding of what you might take out.
I was looking at on campus housing, where did you find that $1,200 figure?

Thanks again.
The cheapest possible NYU housing goes for $1500/mo.

It's true that living in BK you can spend only 750-1000 in rent. Just be aware, though, that that means a 30 min commute and living with roommates. Neither of those are strange for NYC, but people from other parts of the country might need some adjustment.
I was thinking of CLS, sorry.

kkdk

Bronze

Post by kkdk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Any of y'all going to be on campus Thursday/Friday/Saturday?

ejan1621

New

Post by ejan1621 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:46 pm

How was the event last night? I'm signed up for the Cravath one but would love to know about the food/drink spread. Non-profit lady, so free food and drinks are a real catalyst for doing anything.

leezabee

New

Post by leezabee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:47 pm

kkdk wrote:Any of y'all going to be on campus Thursday/Friday/Saturday?
I'll be at pretty much all the ASW events. Excited to check out the campus and meet some of y'all.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:50 pm

ejan1621 wrote:How was the event last night? I'm signed up for the Cravath one but would love to know about the food/drink spread. Non-profit lady, so free food and drinks are a real catalyst for doing anything.
Food was almost all horderves (which was kind of lame). Wine was nice, only got to have about two glasses worth. A lot of convo going around, with some awkward stuff with the admins. It was ayt, overall. I hope the cravath one serves some better food.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ejan1621

New

Post by ejan1621 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
ejan1621 wrote:How was the event last night? I'm signed up for the Cravath one but would love to know about the food/drink spread. Non-profit lady, so free food and drinks are a real catalyst for doing anything.
Food was almost all horderves (which was kind of lame). Wine was nice, only got to have about two glasses worth. A lot of convo going around, with some awkward stuff with the admins. It was ayt, overall. I hope the cravath one serves some better food.
But was there or wasn't there a cheese spread is really all I'm asking.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:23 pm

ejan1621 wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
There was no cheese spread, I believe.

ejan1621

New

Post by ejan1621 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
ejan1621 wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
There was no cheese spread, I believe.
What's the point of even going if there's no brie, or at the very least cheddar squares to entice you?? NYU just dropped a good 10 points in my book.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Withdrew from NYU today. Good luck to all of you attending. I went to the Admitted Students Days and had an awesome time. It's a really great law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anagram

New

Post by anagram » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Is there a deadline to respond to the email they sent about scholarships and financial aid? I want to respond to say I only want to be considered for merit aid, but I'm not sure how to phrase the email.

I totally forgot to fill out the Need Access form (which tbh wouldn't have helped me anyway, even though my parents won't be helping out).

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:08 pm

So I've been sitting at "Under Final Review" since 1/27, according to FAAPS. Everyone I asked said it would take 7-10 days for a decision to be made. At first I thought that it was because I was under consideration for RTK, but I was notified that I was not a finalist back in early March (the 4th I think?). Still haven't heard anything. I called to confirm that all my documents were in a week ago, which they were. Anyone else in a similar situation? When should I expect a notification....?

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:11 pm

anagram wrote:Is there a deadline to respond to the email they sent about scholarships and financial aid? I want to respond to say I only want to be considered for merit aid, but I'm not sure how to phrase the email.

I totally forgot to fill out the Need Access form (which tbh wouldn't have helped me anyway, even though my parents won't be helping out).
Why don't you just say you only want to be considered for merit aid?

kathj06

Bronze

Post by kathj06 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:So I've been sitting at "Under Final Review" since 1/27, according to FAAPS. Everyone I asked said it would take 7-10 days for a decision to be made. At first I thought that it was because I was under consideration for RTK, but I was notified that I was not a finalist back in early March (the 4th I think?). Still haven't heard anything. I called to confirm that all my documents were in a week ago, which they were. Anyone else in a similar situation? When should I expect a notification....?
+1

I applied for another named scholarship and haven't received a formal rejection for it yet, but I feel like I would've heard by now if I were in the running.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:32 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:
+1

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:42 am

mylifeis24 wrote:So I've been sitting at "Under Final Review" since 1/27, according to FAAPS. Everyone I asked said it would take 7-10 days for a decision to be made. At first I thought that it was because I was under consideration for RTK, but I was notified that I was not a finalist back in early March (the 4th I think?). Still haven't heard anything. I called to confirm that all my documents were in a week ago, which they were. Anyone else in a similar situation? When should I expect a notification....?
If anyone else is in a similar situation to mylifeis24, shoot me a PM!

Hotfries26

New

Post by Hotfries26 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:21 am

drawstring wrote:
anagram wrote:Is there a deadline to respond to the email they sent about scholarships and financial aid? I want to respond to say I only want to be considered for merit aid, but I'm not sure how to phrase the email.

Why don't you just say you only want to be considered for merit aid?
I don't think the deadline for NeedAccess has passed if you're still interested in at least seeing if you could squeeze some grants out of them. I kind of recall the deadline being April 15 because it gave people time to get their W2s etc. Just a warning though the NeedAccess is probably the longest form I have ever filled out I felt like it took years off of my life. My parents won't be helping me either so I filled everything out to see what I can get to make NYU viable

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 am

NYU's website still lists last year's tuition; it hasn't been updated with this years. Can someone who has gotten their financial aid package check to see if that package includes the total tuition for 2014-2015?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:58 am

I spoke with someone from their fin aid office and told me that they were trying to respond to everyone before April so we can expect a decision by then. If you went under final review before this week, I'd call and ask about your award on April 1 if you still haven't received an initial offer by then.

Edit: please don't quote this I plan on deleting it

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:44 am

Hi everyone, congrats to all. Is there a c/o 2017 Facebook group up yet?

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:39 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:Hi everyone, congrats to all. Is there a c/o 2017 Facebook group up yet?

Not yet. The NYU Law Student Bar Association generally makes it, and it should be up soon. from what I have been told.

Gucci Mane

Bronze

Post by Gucci Mane » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Wow, I think I just got a personalized congratulations letter from an NYU professor. Or did everyone else get the same one today too?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jaesonko

Bronze

Post by jaesonko » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Who is going to be there tomorrow :D :D :D

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Gucci Mane wrote:Wow, I think I just got a personalized congratulations letter from an NYU professor. Or did everyone else get the same one today too?
NYU has many professors/students/alumni send e-mails based on your interests. It might just be one of those?

Gucci Mane

Bronze

Post by Gucci Mane » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:22 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Gucci Mane wrote:Wow, I think I just got a personalized congratulations letter from an NYU professor. Or did everyone else get the same one today too?
NYU has many professors/students/alumni send e-mails based on your interests. It might just be one of those?
Yeah, the email focused on the same thing my personal statement and undergrad degree was about. NYU sure has a good outreach program going on.

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:23 pm

To those who appealed their $$ offer or lack thereof, is your most recent status still "Award Sent"?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”