NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
nothingtosee

Silver

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Post by nothingtosee » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:20 pm

In the outside chance I get in to H or S I will apply for need aid. Will it look bad if I'm not applying for need aid from every school? Based on ls22 I was thinking of going merit only at nyu because I have a job with an ok salary.

metroidbum

Silver

Post by metroidbum » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:35 pm

jdapplicant wrote:How long ago did people who received scholly info submit the Need Access?
Early January

t14splitter

Bronze

Post by t14splitter » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:09 pm

metroidbum wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:How long ago did people who received scholly info submit the Need Access?
Early January

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:14 pm

cway wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:oh I agree that the conversations were definitely hit or miss. Some of the older alums were kinda hard to talk to and they weren't trying very hard to "sell" NYU but I had some great convos with the younger more recent graduates. I'm also not the greatest at small talk so that's probably why it was a little awkward for me.

The dean this seem to insinuate that Chicago has a really ugly campus. I really want to see this for myself now because chicago would definitely top my list if i got accepted.

haha well thanks for the question! I'm glad people asked about NYU's "weaknesses" and I really liked the deans answers although I still feel like he rambled a lot :)
Not to totally derail this thread, but I spent a summer at UChicago and actually found the campus quite beautiful. The problem is that if you venture beyond the campus borders, you're in the (actual) murder capital. I wanted to go look at the law school and my friends in Chicago wouldn't even go with me unless we took a car... Great school, unfortunate location. HTH!
This is way, way overstated (though there are plenty of people in Chicago who think this way). Anyone who's spent any amount of time in Hyde Park will have a much more realistic view of the safety, both of the campus and the surrounding areas.

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:31 pm

Sorry, this is a noob question, but to be considered for merit scholarships, do we need to submit any forms? It sounds like Vandies have already gone out. I applied for named scholarships but haven't done anything else. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:08 pm

thewaves wrote:Sorry, this is a noob question, but to be considered for merit scholarships, do we need to submit any forms? It sounds like Vandies have already gone out. I applied for named scholarships but haven't done anything else. Thanks!
As far as I can tell, you just have to send FAFSA and Need Access to NYU. You don't need to fill out any NYU specific forms. But I think that all scholarships are delayed for people who applied to the named programs.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:56 pm

I received my merit aid offer as well, through an email telling me to log in to the FAAPS site, which had a PDF of the offer. I was a little disappointed by the offer, tbh. I'll definitely attempt to negotiate it higher.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Does anyone know if the April 4th deadline for accepting NYU aid can be moved? I will not have even attended the admitted student days by that time.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:33 pm

How do we know that Vandies have been sent out? Have people reported receiving them?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:How do we know that Vandies have been sent out? Have people reported receiving them?
Yeah, somewhere back ITT.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 pm

So, are Vandy's typically handed out to LLMs? I looked online and all the Vandy Scholars seem to be LLMs.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:17 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:So, are Vandy's typically handed out to LLMs? I looked online and all the Vandy Scholars seem to be LLMs.
NYU's website only talks about Vandy's for LLMs. But everyone ITT who has reported one has been a JD candidate, and there have apparently been a few handed out to JDs in past years (per LSN).

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:54 am

lawschool22 wrote:I received my merit aid offer as well, through an email telling me to log in to the FAAPS site, which had a PDF of the offer. I was a little disappointed by the offer, tbh. I'll definitely attempt to negotiate it higher.
Yeah. Me too. Does anyone know if NYU is typically generous with negotiations?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:24 am

kershka wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:I received my merit aid offer as well, through an email telling me to log in to the FAAPS site, which had a PDF of the offer. I was a little disappointed by the offer, tbh. I'll definitely attempt to negotiate it higher.
Probably depends on what you have to negotiate. My friend was fairly successful with negotiating between Columbia and NYU.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:30 am

I just got another email from a recent graduate. I want to respond with "this outreach is great and all, but could you maybe see if they could give me more money?" lol

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:33 am

lawschool22 wrote:I just got another email from a recent graduate. I want to respond with "this outreach is great and all, but could you maybe see if they could give me more money?" lol
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can I be honest? I'm thrilled at all the effort...but, like, maybe a few fewer e-mails would be okay, too.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:38 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:I just got another email from a recent graduate. I want to respond with "this outreach is great and all, but could you maybe see if they could give me more money?" lol

Can I be honest? I'm thrilled at all the effort...but, like, maybe a few fewer e-mails would be okay, too.
Yeah there has been a lot of outreach :lol: Although I do think I prefer being wooed to silence. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:41 am

I'm guessing you guys sent in the merit aid stuff?

Hopin to complete that and the need-based this weekend, along with the FAFSA. Just have to get stuff straightened on my parents' side.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:42 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:I'm guessing you guys sent in the merit aid stuff?

Hopin to complete that and the need-based this weekend, along with the FAFSA. Just have to get stuff straightened on my parents' side.
Yeah, I did merit-only. I'll be appealing, but from what I've heard from informed people, there is no rush to appeal. Waiting a bit is preferable.

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:44 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:

oh god, i'm glad someone else has brought this up. it's not that i'm ungrateful, but calm down, NYU. i'm totally interested, but stop being so in my face, it's making me a little overwhelmed! (esp. when one of your students calls me from a palo alto area code)

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:47 am

Marshmallow wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

oh god, i'm glad someone else has brought this up. it's not that i'm ungrateful, but calm down, NYU. i'm totally interested, but stop being so in my face, it's making me a little overwhelmed! (esp. when one of your students calls me from a palo alto area code)
lawls. I had someone call me after a bunch of emails as well. Little did I know, telling her it was a good time to talk would mean 45 minutes of me sitting at my desk listening to her talk. All great information and a really nice gesture, but once we went past 30 minutes, a line had been crossed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:54 am

I'm wondering if I should put in my merit-aid form that I received money from a school that I am considering? Or if I should send that during an appeal?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
kershka wrote:
Probably depends on what you have to negotiate. My friend was fairly successful with negotiating between Columbia and NYU.
I read somewhere else on TLS that Columbia and NYU rarely negotiate with offers from the other.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:17 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:I'm wondering if I should put in my merit-aid form that I received money from a school that I am considering? Or if I should send that during an appeal?
Wait until you need it for an appeal. Keep your cards close to the vest until you have to show them. They may exceed that offer on the first try, but if you show it to them, they will only match it (and maybe come in under it if it's a lower school).

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:17 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:
kershka wrote:
I read somewhere else on TLS that Columbia and NYU rarely negotiate with offers from the other.
I don't think this is necessarily true based on what I have read from last year's thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”