NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
lawschool22

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Max324 wrote:I was surprised at getting $0 merit/need. I have no savings because I throw all of my income at my (formerly) gargantuan UG loans, no assets, and no financial support from family since before I graduated high school. I was sure they'd throw at least a token amount of aid my way. I suspect the "need based aid" doesn't trickle down to ED apps (doing that was such a mistake, I really didn't need the boost with my 179).

I've been back and forth a million times about whether to attend this year or try to squeeze $60k out of Duke/UVA next cycle. Battling UG debt for the last four years has been a nightmare; I still can't wrap my head around taking out four times that amount.
I'm guessing you're a pretty big splitter?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:51 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Max324 wrote:I was surprised at getting $0 merit/need. I have no savings because I throw all of my income at my (formerly) gargantuan UG loans, no assets, and no financial support from family since before I graduated high school. I was sure they'd throw at least a token amount of aid my way. I suspect the "need based aid" doesn't trickle down to ED apps (doing that was such a mistake, I really didn't need the boost with my 179).

I've been back and forth a million times about whether to attend this year or try to squeeze $60k out of Duke/UVA next cycle. Battling UG debt for the last four years has been a nightmare; I still can't wrap my head around taking out four times that amount.
3.42/179. Could get $ at lower T14, but nothing that would save me from financial ruin if I strike out or get no-offered.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:52 pm

As a counterweight to my inflamed monologue, sticker can still be a rationally justified, positive EV choice for some applicants. For example, as a splitter with a 179 (could be you or not just an example), NYU at sticker can be the best choice. My gripe is more with the lack of transparency, honesty and financial sense from those who are specifically tasked to be knowledgeable about fiscal matters, and the deliberate misleading that takes place, than individual students trying to make goos choices for their futures.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:53 pm

It's stories like this that make me wonder. Do only ultra rich people with parental support take out full sticker at HYSCCN? I just can't comprehend paying full sticker, even at Yale. Even if you 'win' and get a big law job to service that sort of debt, it would be a losing game in terms of time in the long run. It would never work out financially unless you became partner or end up becoming a millionaire through some entrepreneurial endeavor (which we assume is a direct result of your legal degree).

(So yea..I would reapply next cycle)

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:55 pm

paglababa wrote:

It's stories like this that make me wonder. Do only ultra rich people with parental support take out full sticker at HYSCCN? I just can't comprehend paying full sticker, even at Yale. Even if you 'win' and get a big law job to service that sort of debt, it would be a losing game in terms of time in the long run. It would never work out financially unless you became partner or end up becoming a millionaire through some entrepreneurial endeavor (which we assume is a direct result of your legal degree).

(So yea..I would reapply next cycle)
No. There are plenty of people jumping on this bandwagon. A close friend of mine is one of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:00 pm

Max324 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

3.42/179. Could get $ at lower T14, but nothing that would save me from financial ruin if I strike out or get no-offered.
I'm going to be honest with you, I think you should re-apply broadly next cycle and take $$ at a lower T-14. You will get at least one of them to bite. Sticker at NYU is tough.

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:01 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck all!

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:40 pm

FWIW, just got my appeal response today after submitting it around a week and a half ago or so. Was originally given $0, responded with Columbia's offer, and NYU matched Columbia's offer exactly with the possibility of a little extra for the third year if going the PI route. Feel free to PM for specific details if interested.

tlsapp2017

Bronze

Post by tlsapp2017 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:55 pm

Synch wrote:I have called the Fin Aid office 5 times today. They are "in a meeting"
I've been calling 3 times a day since last Thursday. It must be a really long "meeting"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

admiringatticus

Bronze

Post by admiringatticus » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:05 pm

After negotiating my scholarship up from $0 to, let's call it, slightly more than $0, I have withdrawn today. Not sure why they are so unwilling to budge for me even after the submission of a Chicago scholarship but there is absolutely no way I can justify the debt they are expecting me to take on.

SordidLSATHistory

New

Post by SordidLSATHistory » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Still waiting on an initial offer from them, but I'm not getting the impression that NYU will budge much even in light of decent offers from "lesser" peers, so I somehow doubt I'll be putting down a deposit.

Has NYU historically been better about aid? I feel like, with such a high acceptance percentage, NYU probably has no problem finding people who WILL pay sticker, so they have little incentive to hand out awards to anyone except a few of the most desirable applicants (no offense, you're ALL desirable applicants in my book :mrgreen: ). It just seems like NYU goes about things a bit differently than peer schools...

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Finally got my appeal back today. Went from $0K to $25K, which could go up to $30K. That's pennies compared to the $90K Columbia offered me, so I guess that I'll be withdrawing. I'm pretty sad, but it's what I expected. Don't know why Columbia likes me so much more than NYU.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Random question for those of you who attended the ASWs and received that purple NYU bag. What in the world is that drawstring for down in the corner? I am accessory disabled and don't understand. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Random question for those of you who attended the ASWs and received that purple NYU bag. What in the world is that drawstring for down in the corner? I am accessory disabled and don't understand. :lol:
I think it's so you can stuff the whole bag into that corner and then it's a tiny little puff that you can easily pack into another bag.

I am too lazy to get up to test this theory.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Random question for those of you who attended the ASWs and received that purple NYU bag. What in the world is that drawstring for down in the corner? I am accessory disabled and don't understand. :lol:
I think it's so you can stuff the whole bag into that corner and then it's a tiny little puff that you can easily pack into another bag.

I am too lazy to get up to test this theory.
It was next to me, so I mashed it down into that little corner as suggested, worked like a charm. :)

I am really dumb about some things, lol.

Edit: However it caused like 1/5 of the white NYU Law text and logo to flake off, nice NYU, nice. :lol:

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:26 pm

^ thank you for tip i will not be scrunching it up

also, nyu what are you doing : (

ALSO, it would be super helpful if, when you post about your NYU award, you could also just PM me the specific details

that would save me a lot of trouble in initiating all these PMs

tyia : )

fivestarfolds

Silver

Post by fivestarfolds » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 am

Wow, NYU just emailed me saying I hadn't accepted the scholarship offer so they had rescinded it.

Had to call and reclaim it. I deposited on Saturday. I'm pretty pissed off.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 am

fivestarfolds wrote:Wow, NYU just emailed me saying I hadn't accepted the scholarship offer so they had rescinded it.

:shock:

but, not actually shocked, because NYU ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fivestarfolds

Silver

Post by fivestarfolds » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
fivestarfolds wrote:Wow, NYU just emailed me saying I hadn't accepted the scholarship offer so they had rescinded it.

I'm not a very calm person when it comes to moments like this. Doing my best to not spray angry emails all over the place.

I'm not even sure how I was supposed to accept the offer other than by giving my intent to enroll. I looked over all of the documents and at their website.

I hope no one else makes the same mistake on May 2.

kkdk

Bronze

Post by kkdk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 am

fivestarfolds wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

I'm not a very calm person when it comes to moments like this. Doing my best to not spray angry emails all over the place.

I'm not even sure how I was supposed to accept the offer other than by giving my intent to enroll. I looked over all of the documents and at their website.

I hope no one else makes the same mistake on May 2.
Sorry to hear that fivestar :( luckily they didn't give you trouble to reclaim.

For posterity, you must enrol and separately accept the $$ offer via FAAPS. My understanding is that the accepting online on FAAPS is sufficient. You view your award, and then accept it and I think you also enter your legal name to serve as your signature. Even for named schollies, the e-mail offering the scholarship and someone accepting it is of no consequence.

I can't recall exactly where on the FAAPS website the option to accept is provided, but it most certainly is there and is separate from anything else we have to do.

fivestarfolds

Silver

Post by fivestarfolds » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:09 am

kkdk wrote:
Sorry to hear that fivestar :( luckily they didn't give you trouble to reclaim.

For posterity, you must enrol and separately accept the $$ offer via FAAPS. My understanding is that the accepting online on FAAPS is sufficient. You view your award, and then accept it and I think you also enter your legal name to serve as your signature. Even for named schollies, the e-mail offering the scholarship and someone accepting it is of no consequence.

I can't recall exactly where on the FAAPS website the option to accept is provided, but it most certainly is there and is separate from anything else we have to do.
That actually makes perfect sense. I haven't been on FAAPS since I downloaded my letter and just shoved it into my dropbox.

Thanks for the post kkdk--I was feeling perfectly self-righteous before you pointed that out. At least I can calm down and realize that the financial aid office probably doesn't communicate directly with the admissions office about this stuff.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FisterRoboto

New

Post by FisterRoboto » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Just WL'ed at Columbia, so I'm definitely depositing at NYU, which was (sincerely) my first choice anyway. (edit: if I don't sit out 'til next cycle, which I suppose is still a possibility)

For those more active on the board, is there any prevailing wisdom that waiting to deposit might lead to an increase in scholarship $$?? I don't really have any good competing offers due to severely underapplying, which obviously means that an increase is very unlikely, but if there's a small chance, I might as well hold out for it.

Anyway, FUCK YEAH NYU. Sorry for all y'all who are stuck with me next year. :)

edit: Also, should I even bother appealing without any good competing offers? I don't want them to affronted by my presumptuousness. I would prefer to avoid "difficult" being written in my file.
Last edited by FisterRoboto on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:20 pm

FisterRoboto wrote:Just WL'ed at Columbia, so I'm definitely depositing at NYU, which was (sincerely) my first choice anyway.

For those more active on the board, is there any prevailing wisdom that waiting to deposit might lead to an increase in scholarship $$?? I don't really have any good competing offers due to severely underapplying, which obviously means that an increase is very unlikely, but if there's a small chance, I might as well hold out for it.

Anyway, FUCK YEAH NYU. Sorry for all y'all who are stuck with me next year. :)

edit: Also, should I even bother appealing without any good competing offers? I don't want them to affronted by my presumptuousness. I would prefer to avoid "difficult" being written in my file.
In a very similar situation and asking myself many of these same questions. Anyone's thoughts would be very helpful.

MrMileyCyrus

Bronze

Post by MrMileyCyrus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm waiting for inevitable ding/WL from Stanford, then depositing at NYU. I know this has been asked a little while ago, but I think it's worth repeating: anyone know the deal on an NYU Class of 2017 Facebook group? I want to see who I'll be spending the next three years with.

checkers

Bronze

Post by checkers » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:43 pm

MrMileyCyrus wrote: I know this has been asked a little while ago, but I think it's worth repeating: anyone know the deal on an NYU Class of 2017 Facebook group? I want to see who I'll be spending the next three years with.
I don't know if there's another or more official one out there, but I'm in this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/303992936417694/
Last edited by checkers on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”