NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
waferthinmint

Bronze

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Post by waferthinmint » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:07 pm

Anybody know how lodging works for ASW? I was looking for info on that and I don't believe I saw it on the website (but this was weeks ago). Am about to call/email to ask, but figured I'd delve this treasure trove first.

Gustave

New

Post by Gustave » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:21 pm

I used AirBnB and found great lodging for super cheap.

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:40 pm

Gustave wrote:I used AirBnB and found great lodging for super cheap.
I have some friends who live on the UWS and I've asked to stay with them, but if there were some exciting "Stay at a real NYU Law Dorm!!!" thing, I would want in! Guess we're all on our own to fend for ourselves, eh? The NYC way...

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:30 pm

this is definitely a "cart before the horse" question but if I get into CLS, can I combine travel stipends for NYU and CLS? (Since their march ASWs are back to back)

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:42 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:this is definitely a "cart before the horse" question but if I get into CLS, can I combine travel stipends for NYU and CLS? (Since their march ASWs are back to back)

Wait, has it been confirmed that NYU is offering travel stipends for ASW this year? Based on a thread from last year http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=200592 NYU does not, although CLS does.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:48 pm

jdapplicant wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:this is definitely a "cart before the horse" question but if I get into CLS, can I combine travel stipends for NYU and CLS? (Since their march ASWs are back to back)

Wait, has it been confirmed that NYU is offering travel stipends for ASW this year? Based on a thread from last year http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=200592 NYU does not, although CLS does.
Well, I did receive an email this morning saying BLAPA, NYU's umbrella organization for all NYU Law alumni of color, could provide a modest transpo subsidy... Is this what folks are alluding to?

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:01 pm

Edit: For CLS in particular, eligibility requirements for travel stipends stipulate that "attendance is required from no later than 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday to 12:00 p.m. on Thursday." If NYU has a similar requirement, you may only be able to get a travel stipend from one.

In general, most schools ask how much you received from other schools, and adjust your stipend accordingly on a pro rata basis.

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:14 pm

You might have seen me post this in some other threads, but here's a YouTube channel that has interviews with students at major top law schoolz. http://youtu.be/16yMAYMWgxA Holla at the cutie @ NYU. :mrgreen:

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:23 pm

jdapplicant wrote:Wait, has it been confirmed that NYU is offering travel stipends for ASW this year? Based on a thread from last year http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=200592 NYU does not, although CLS does.
I have contacted NYU directly and they let me know that they do offer need-based travel subsidies for ASW. Submission of the Need Access is required in order to be considered. And they do ask if you will be visiting any other schools on your visit (i.e. Columbia), so I would guess that each school will pay 50% of their usual if you do plan to double up your visit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:38 pm

jdapplicant wrote:

ooh whoops, I though I read somewhere that they did. I must be getting schools confused haha

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:47 pm

gta wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:Wait, has it been confirmed that NYU is offering travel stipends for ASW this year? Based on a thread from last year http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=200592 NYU does not, although CLS does.
I have contacted NYU directly and they let me know that they do offer need-based travel subsidies for ASW. Submission of the Need Access is required in order to be considered. And they do ask if you will be visiting any other schools on your visit (i.e. Columbia), so I would guess that each school will pay 50% of their usual if you do plan to double up your visit.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm guessing both CLS and NYU will ease the travel stipend requirement that you attend the entire ASW if you are attending both, since they overlap them on purpose.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Does anyone have any idea of the turnaround to expect after completing our aid documents? Specifically, merit-only option...

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:07 pm

How's NYU do aid? Is it like Harvard where its based only on assets, parents, and summer income? I work full time so I'm wondering if I should just select merit instead of need based.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:29 pm

paglababa wrote:How's NYU do aid? Is it like Harvard where its based only on assets, parents, and summer income? I work full time so I'm wondering if I should just select merit instead of need based.
PMd you the process I just went through.

Arrow4Christ

Bronze

Post by Arrow4Christ » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:56 am

I just received a very helpful and detailed reply from my student correspondent...AND yesterday I got an email from an alum that now works at a prestigious law firm inviting me to call or email any questions I may have. I have to say, NYU is making itself hard not to love.

pokemonsters

Bronze

Post by pokemonsters » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:I just received a very helpful and detailed reply from my student correspondent...AND yesterday I got an email from an alum that now works at a prestigious law firm inviting me to call or email any questions I may have. I have to say, NYU is making itself hard not to love.
Yeah, I've had professors, alumni, current students, and admissions officers call and email me since I got my accept. Love all the effort they're putting in.

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:06 pm

pokemonsters wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:I just received a very helpful and detailed reply from my student correspondent...AND yesterday I got an email from an alum that now works at a prestigious law firm inviting me to call or email any questions I may have. I have to say, NYU is making itself hard not to love.
Yeah, I've had professors, alumni, current students, and admissions officers call and email me since I got my accept. Love all the effort they're putting in.
Seriously, NYU's outreach is awesome. Plus receptions left and right. Really make you feel loved and wanted.
AND their Instagram is by far the most active of all the law school Instagrams I snoop. Highly important. :lol: @nyulaw

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:08 pm

It also looks like Columbia Law has not cancelled any classes despite the coming crazy winter storm in NY, whereas NYU has cancelled classes until 11 AM, according to friends' social mediaz.

I'm a fan, can you tell

gimmedanger

New

Post by gimmedanger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:45 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
paglababa wrote:How's NYU do aid? Is it like Harvard where its based only on assets, parents, and summer income? I work full time so I'm wondering if I should just select merit instead of need based.
Could you PM me as well? I'm having the same quandary.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:03 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
I would love to know this as well please!

esther0123

Bronze

Post by esther0123 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:43 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
BerkeleyMan5 wrote:Hey guys, glad to be a part of this thread! Congrats to everyone here.

Just based on reading what you guys have posted, NYU is a school that does require a need access form before you can be considered for any merit scholarships? My understanding is that this isn't generally the case for most schools, correct?
No, Need Access is not required. Send them an email saying you want to be considered for merit aid only. They will send you a link to a site with a different form to fill out. Note that if you want to be LRAP eligible you still have to provide your own financial info, but it is much less extensive than need access
But we're still considered for merit aid regardless of whether the need access or merit only forms are submitted? Is submitting a Need Access with a low EFC still a good idea with high numbers?
From info I have gathered I would do merit-only, if your EFC is >$10k
Sorry if I'm being a newb, but what does EFC stand for?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:54 pm

esther0123 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Arrow4Christ wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
No, Need Access is not required. Send them an email saying you want to be considered for merit aid only. They will send you a link to a site with a different form to fill out. Note that if you want to be LRAP eligible you still have to provide your own financial info, but it is much less extensive than need access
But we're still considered for merit aid regardless of whether the need access or merit only forms are submitted? Is submitting a Need Access with a low EFC still a good idea with high numbers?
From info I have gathered I would do merit-only, if your EFC is >$10k
Sorry if I'm being a newb, but what does EFC stand for?
Expected Family Contribution. It refers to a figure used by FAFSA.gov to represent the calculated estimated amount that your family is expected to contribute to your education based on the financial information entered. You can estimate it using the EFC calculator on the FAFSA website.

As graduate/professional students, we are technically considered independent by FAFSA and are therefore not required to enter our parents' info, which is why some schools use Need Access and ask for parental info. The EFC that LS22 is referring to in this case would be calculated/estimated using the EFC calculator and including your parents' info (along with your own) to serve as a proxy by which you can get some insight into how schools will view the information you provide via Need Access.

esther0123

Bronze

Post by esther0123 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks! Although I will receive no parental contribution, but my savings are 25K+. Would you recommend I go through merit-only route?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:54 pm

esther0123 wrote:Thanks! Although I will receive no parental contribution, but my savings are 25K+. Would you recommend I go through merit-only route?
I am not at all qualified to answer that, honestly. You should check out that EFC calculator, look at LS22's comments regarding the ~$10k estimate, take it with a grain of salt (as it is anecdotal), and do what you think is best.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
esther0123 wrote:Thanks! Although I will receive no parental contribution, but my savings are 25K+. Would you recommend I go through merit-only route?
I am not at all qualified to answer that, honestly. You should check out that EFC calculator, look at LS22's comments regarding the ~$10k estimate, take it with a grain of salt (as it is anecdotal), and do what you think is best.
+1 to this.

Though since it is ls22 we are talking about, it should be one of those big sea-salt sized grains.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”