NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Nonconsecutive

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - New Photos in OP!

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:05 pm

ga208 wrote:Do Vandy's ever come in pizza box or are they sent by email and/or separate letter?

Also how long after acceptance do pizza boxes come?
I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a Vandy in their pizza box. I'm pretty sure the pizza box is pretty generic, unless you are one of the lucky few who who multiple pizza boxes.

bbkk

Silver

Re: NYU Class of 2017

Post by bbkk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:34 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
neprep wrote:I'm based in NYC, and have a place on the UWS. But I'm definitely thinking of moving further downtown, but we'll see how CLS works out first :wink:.
Where do most NYU Law students live? What are some of the neighborhoods I should target that are a good combo of price, convenience and quality?

I live in a super-low COL, but good-sized mid-west city, so going from my 1600 sq. ft. 3 level townhouse condo that I OWN for less than $800/month is going to be a BIG adjustment! :D :shock: Any help you can provide would be great haha.
You can also try Jersey City, NJ (Newport/Hoboken/Exchange place). Most people live here work/study in Manhattan, and the Path is pretty convenient (i.e. from Newport to 9th is about 11 mins). Plus, you'll save 5% city tax if have income. :D

Arrow4Christ

Bronze

Post by Arrow4Christ » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Man! I wish there were an admitted students' day on my spring break :(

Arrow4Christ

Bronze

Post by Arrow4Christ » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:27 pm

Anyone visiting sometime other than an ASW?

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Just got the call! Stoked to go to NYC and check out NYU (and Columbia). I've only been to NY once when I was young and I am greatly looking forward to visiting again with the strong possibility of checking out my future city.
Arrow4Christ wrote:Man! I wish there were an admitted students' day on my spring break :(
Amen. I have an exam on every single one of Columbia's/NYU's admitted students' days. Every single last one of them. I am just going to fly there over break and set up meetings, class visits, etc. on my own but it still would've been nice to go to an ASD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fivestarfolds

Silver

Post by fivestarfolds » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:36 pm

Just to bump an earlier question I had, could someone describe where we are in the admissions process.

I want to know if I'm missing any info that NYU needs. Have named scholarships mostly been distributed? Are financial aid packets coming out yet?

graphia

New

Post by graphia » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:37 pm

drevo wrote:Just got the call! Stoked to go to NYC and check out NYU (and Columbia). I've only been to NY once when I was young and I am greatly looking forward to visiting again with the strong possibility of checking out my future city.
Arrow4Christ wrote:Man! I wish there were an admitted students' day on my spring break :(
Amen. I have an exam on every single one of Columbia's/NYU's admitted students' days. Every single last one of them. I am just going to fly there over break and set up meetings, class visits, etc. on my own but it still would've been nice to go to an ASD.
Congrats!

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:17 pm

fivestarfolds wrote:Just to bump an earlier question I had, could someone describe where we are in the admissions process.

I want to know if I'm missing any info that NYU needs. Have named scholarships mostly been distributed? Are financial aid packets coming out yet?
No named scholarships (other than the Vandy) have been distributed. A few have notified finalists, but others haven't.

You send in NA and everything before the named scholarship, but if you applied for a named scholarship you won't hear about regular aid until after they make a determination. People who didn't apply for named scholarships have already started hearing about aid.

Coprolalia

New

Post by Coprolalia » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:Hola, Native New Yorkians!

Question from a Non-Yorker trying to get into Manhattan from JFK on a budget lateish at night ~11:30pm.

The train/bus options seem kind of nightmarish, and shelling out $50.00 for a cab isn't all that appealing either... So, does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve? Or should I just quit whining and pay up? Also, are Ubers from the airport pretty easy to get at that time of night?

Thanks.
Airtrain to the A train is the cheapest option. It isn't that bad, but might take a while at that time.

Private Shuttles: Several companies offer shuttles to Manhattan, including:
Go Airlink NYC: Go Airlink NYC offers shared transfers from JFK (starting at $18/person), as well as private transfers via sedan or van for groups. Rides are available 24 hours a day, though wait times for shared transfers at night may vary.
NYC Airporter: The official bus service of NYC area airports, NYC Airporter offers transportation between Penn Station, Port Authority and Grand Central and JFK for $16 ($29 round-trip). The service operates every 30 minutes from 5 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. daily. Access to Penn Station requires taking a shuttle from the Grand Central stop. There is also complimentary hotel shuttle service for hotels between 23rd and 63rd Streets from Grand Central.
Super Shuttle: Available 24 hours a day, this shuttle provides door to door service for your party. Fares are $15 - $19, depending on destination. No reservations are required to get from the airport to your destination, but they are required for your return trip to the airport. Consult their website or call 1-800-258-3826 for more information. Book your SuperShuttle Transfer through Viator.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:50 pm

Airtrain to the A train, and take that all the way to the village on a manhattan bound train. Total will be $7.50. No need for any train transfers in the subway. Probably will take about 1-1.5 hours total. It's really not that hard or anything to be intimidated by. Obviously, taxi would be the easiest and costliest.

bb2418

New

Post by bb2418 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:48 pm

Has anyone had any success appealing a financial aid offer? All help is appreciated

jaesonko

Bronze

Post by jaesonko » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Applied for the IILJ but received my Deans scholarship notification today. I guess my 350 word ramble of an essay wasn't compelling enough :lol:

fivestarfolds

Silver

Post by fivestarfolds » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:03 pm

Anyone know if the Nordlicht scholarship is going to be a separate deliberation from the Jacobson's that went out a few weeks ago?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:44 pm

anyone else having trouble registering for ASW? Every time I click "RSVP" it redirects me to the admissions page.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:59 pm

scoobysnax wrote:anyone else having trouble registering for ASW? Every time I click "RSVP" it redirects me to the admissions page.
Happens to me too

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:02 pm

cotiger wrote:
scoobysnax wrote:anyone else having trouble registering for ASW? Every time I click "RSVP" it redirects me to the admissions page.
Happens to me too
It worked when I switched browsers!

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:48 pm

scoobysnax wrote:
cotiger wrote:
Happens to me too
It worked when I switched browsers!
Me too, thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Coprolalia wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote:Hola, Native New Yorkians!

Question from a Non-Yorker trying to get into Manhattan from JFK on a budget lateish at night ~11:30pm.

The train/bus options seem kind of nightmarish, and shelling out $50.00 for a cab isn't all that appealing either... So, does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve? Or should I just quit whining and pay up? Also, are Ubers from the airport pretty easy to get at that time of night?

Thanks.
Airtrain to the A train is the cheapest option. It isn't that bad, but might take a while at that time.

Private Shuttles: Several companies offer shuttles to Manhattan, including:
Go Airlink NYC: Go Airlink NYC offers shared transfers from JFK (starting at $18/person), as well as private transfers via sedan or van for groups. Rides are available 24 hours a day, though wait times for shared transfers at night may vary.
NYC Airporter: The official bus service of NYC area airports, NYC Airporter offers transportation between Penn Station, Port Authority and Grand Central and JFK for $16 ($29 round-trip). The service operates every 30 minutes from 5 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. daily. Access to Penn Station requires taking a shuttle from the Grand Central stop. There is also complimentary hotel shuttle service for hotels between 23rd and 63rd Streets from Grand Central.
Super Shuttle: Available 24 hours a day, this shuttle provides door to door service for your party. Fares are $15 - $19, depending on destination. No reservations are required to get from the airport to your destination, but they are required for your return trip to the airport. Consult their website or call 1-800-258-3826 for more information. Book your SuperShuttle Transfer through Viator.
This is great. Thanks!

Sirs_LMNOPQRS

New

Post by Sirs_LMNOPQRS » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:56 am

In case anyone else needs help with directions, HopStop is a free app that gives really good directions in new york and the surrounding area. It has the departure times for subway trains and buses and everything. It tells you the estimated time and the estimated fare as well. Lots of locals rely on it.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:27 pm

Sirs_LMNOPQRS wrote:In case anyone else needs help with directions, HopStop is a free app that gives really good directions in new york and the surrounding area. It has the departure times for subway trains and buses and everything. It tells you the estimated time and the estimated fare as well. Lots of locals rely on it.
Huh? Just use google maps.

Also, there is no fare to estimate. It's all the same $2.50.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:29 pm

About to be in the NYU area for brunch! Meeting up with a current NYU 3L. Any questions I should ask?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschool20175

New

Post by lawschool20175 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:48 pm

Is anyone planning to live in Jersey City and commute?

lawschool20175

New

Post by lawschool20175 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Has anyone successfully negotiated their financial aid offer this cycle?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:12 pm

yomisterd wrote:About to be in the NYU area for brunch! Meeting up with a current NYU 3L. Any questions I should ask?
Just think of questions you genuinely want the answer to. This is your chance to get a more unfiltered view of the school. I would ask about how people with your chosen career path tend to fair. Ask about quality of life. See what things they don't like about NYU. Ask what they wish they knew before starting. The conversation will flow naturally I'm sure. But definitely take advantage of the opportunity.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Any word on RTK invites? If people have gotten them but don't want to post publicly, maybe PM me?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”