NYU Class of 2017 - Basically graduated Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
coolguysteve

New

Re: NYU Class of 2017 - Old Photos in OP!

Post by coolguysteve » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:27 pm

rseaney wrote:well steve you sound like a cool guy X] and while im not entirely decided on nyu yet i could be into gathering a group of four or so. its not ideal, but i could be open to splitting a room if it means cheap rent and being close to campus. dorms are crazy expensive im not down.
Ya dude, PM me or something.

Also how useful were the ASW's for everyone? Meet a bunch of prospective students, totally sway you one way or another? I have the option of forcing my mom to shell out to fly me out there but I'd rather save her some money if it's something that no one found completely necessary.

zen

New

Post by zen » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:27 pm

I went to NYU for undergrad and well let's say that we had some extreeeeeemely nice dorms available that were definitely worth the price (think floor to ceiling windows, touch screen microwaves, and the like) - most of them weren't, though, so yeah, I would say finding your own apartment would be what I suggest.

zen

New

Post by zen » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:29 pm

coolguysteve wrote:
rseaney wrote:well steve you sound like a cool guy X] and while im not entirely decided on nyu yet i could be into gathering a group of four or so. its not ideal, but i could be open to splitting a room if it means cheap rent and being close to campus. dorms are crazy expensive im not down.
Ya dude, PM me or something.

Also how useful were the ASW's for everyone? Meet a bunch of prospective students, totally sway you one way or another? I have the option of forcing my mom to shell out to fly me out there but I'd rather save her some money if it's something that no one found completely necessary.
I haven't been to one yet, but I feel like it's most useful when you're on the fence between two schools, NYU and Columbia for example. I wouldn't be going myself to the April one, but needed an excuse to go to NYC.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:47 pm

The impression I got from ASW was that the dorms in D'agostino are somewhat the center of the 1L social life. A LOT of 1Ls live there.

As for the rooms, yeah, they're tiny.

I'm not thrilled about the idea of "dorm life" again either, but there might be enough ups to negate the downs, especially for 1L year when it would take a lot of energy to find other housing off-campus.

rseaney

Bronze

Post by rseaney » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:48 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:The impression I got from ASW was that the dorms in D'agostino are somewhat the center of the 1L social life. A LOT of 1Ls live there.

I'm not thrilled about the idea of "dorm life" again either, but there might be enough ups to negate the downs, especially for 1L year when it would take a lot of energy to find other housing off-campus.
are you here now bom?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:51 pm

rseaney wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:The impression I got from ASW was that the dorms in D'agostino are somewhat the center of the 1L social life. A LOT of 1Ls live there.

are you here now bom?
no :( i wish (because it would probably have meant i was there for rtk interviews)
i went to the early march one

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:30 pm

+1 Definitely going to try and live in a dorm if I go and then figure out a cheaper option for my second year. I think over 70% of 1Ls live in dorms and they are basically all in two dorms, so they're really social.

coolguysteve

New

Post by coolguysteve » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:27 am

jdapplicant wrote:

+1 Definitely going to try and live in a dorm if I go and then figure out a cheaper option for my second year. I think over 70% of 1Ls live in dorms and they are basically all in two dorms, so they're really social.
Anyone know some current 1L's that can speak to this? I'm still super apprehensive about the whole twin bed/treated like a child thing, but I can see how it would be convenient to be around so many other people in your same situation. Any candid stories of living in the law school dorms would be much appreciated.

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:20 am

Anyone go to the corporate law panel with the various alums speaking? The Cravath partner's response to a question on what he looks for in applicants was too perfect, given where he works. It was something to the effect of how he doesn't want people who just see the law as their work, he wants people who view "lawyering" as who they are and really identify with it at all times. Thankfully the others on the panel didn't really agree, and the answer got some pushback from prospective students it seemed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:00 pm

The cravath partner-esque will be the one working you, so he is correct by default.

jaesonko

Bronze

Post by jaesonko » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:06 pm

How exactly do Vandys get passed down? When one opens up do they just message someone saying 'o btw u have a vandy now' or is it just given to people that are actively negotiating?

Arrow4Christ

Bronze

Post by Arrow4Christ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:11 pm

jaesonko wrote:How exactly do Vandys get passed down? When one opens up do they just message someone saying 'o btw u have a vandy now' or is it just given to people that are actively negotiating?
^ is an excellent question. I have been dying for one of those puppies for months...

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:26 pm

That's why I think waiting till the last moment is TCR. If someone declines one, I doubt they'll just give it to someone else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rseaney

Bronze

Post by rseaney » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:27 am

Would you all say NYU with the Root is a no-brainer over Columbia? Especially since I think I'm geared towards public interest law

radikal_eyes

New

Post by radikal_eyes » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:24 am

rseaney wrote:Would you all say NYU with the Root is a no-brainer over Columbia? Especially since I think I'm geared towards public interest law
easy choice. go with the rtk..unless you're not entirely sure you want to pursue PI - given the 3/10 year stipulation.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:18 pm

Getting really excited for the one day of the ASW I can attend :)

Is anyone going straight from NYU to Chi Thursday night?

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:53 pm

How much are people paying for apts that are walking distance to the law school? Possible to find like a 3 BR with $1300 per person?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:59 pm

paglababa wrote:How much are people paying for apts that are walking distance to the law school? Possible to find like a 3 BR with $1300 per person?
I think that's doable. Check Craigslist for prices to give you a sense of the average. Keep in mind that Greenwich village is criminally expensive.

Hotfries26

New

Post by Hotfries26 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:25 pm

coolguysteve wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:

Anyone know some current 1L's that can speak to this? I'm still super apprehensive about the whole twin bed/treated like a child thing, but I can see how it would be convenient to be around so many other people in your same situation. Any candid stories of living in the law school dorms would be much appreciated.
The son of friends of my parents is a current student. He lived in the dorms as a 1L and said it was really fun, he ended up making friends there and they moved out of the dorms for his 2L and 3L year (he's graduating this year). I know he took a few gap years between college and law school so it's not like he went straight dorm to dorm. I feel like if you can spend the money (which in reality isn't going to be a ton more because it includes all utilities and amenities than an apartment and you definitely can't beat the location) then it's worth it and part of the overall NYU experience. You have a private bedroom which by the looks of floor plans seem sizable! May not have the same luxury if you're with roommates

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:34 am

IILJ! Yay! :D

ShrimpToastMasters

Bronze

Post by ShrimpToastMasters » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:36 am

Howl wrote:IILJ! Yay! :D
Yay!!!! Congrats Howl!!!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oyvey35

New

Post by oyvey35 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:39 am

Hey guys!

Does anyone know if NYU would give any type of reimbursement if I wanted to visit on days other than the ASW? I can't make the set dates, but really want to see the school.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:46 am

You got the scholly for sure? Congrats!

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:03 am

Congratulations!!! Did it come via phone call or email? Did they give you a deadline for when you have to decide yay/nay by?

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:08 am

whippersnappery wrote:
Congratulations!!! Did it come via phone call or email? Did they give you a deadline for when you have to decide yay/nay by?
Thank you all! Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you!

It came by e-mail from the program director. It was an informal congrats but said $$ decision will follow in a separate e-mail from FinAid office.

ETA: No word in the congratulatory e-mail about acceptance deadlines, I'm guessing it'll be in the FinAid letter?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”