Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
6
8%
Section 2
12
16%
Section 3
8
11%
Section 4
7
10%
Section 5
19
26%
Section 6
8
11%
Section 7
13
18%
 
Total votes: 73

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:40 am

cway wrote:So guys, when is it time to start finding a roommate? It seems like you can find 2 bedroom apts for $2k total pretty easily in both Harvard housing and via brokers.

Also. If you plan to spend the summers out of Boston, is it better to move in and out (4 times total! ugh what a pain.) or just pay the summer rent? Does Harvard apartment housing even allow 12 month leases?


This is sounding better than my current plan of staying in Gropius. I'd be interested in Harvard housing thats like 10-15 mins walk max, so we can get 9 month leases. Does this exist :o

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2220
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:48 am

The-Specs wrote:
kershka wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Just got an e-mail that financial aid is up and it turns out, as previously stated, there is no NeedAccess component.

Thanks for the head's up! Is anyone else kind of amused that they include a video tutorial of the aid process in the email? :D


Yeah, it makes me think there must have been problems with previous applicants. You would think we would could figure it out without a video, I mean, we did get into Harvard... :P


Speak for yourself. I always have trouble with this kind of stuff.

cway
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby cway » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:28 pm

paglababa wrote:
cway wrote:So guys, when is it time to start finding a roommate? It seems like you can find 2 bedroom apts for $2k total pretty easily in both Harvard housing and via brokers.

Also. If you plan to spend the summers out of Boston, is it better to move in and out (4 times total! ugh what a pain.) or just pay the summer rent? Does Harvard apartment housing even allow 12 month leases?


This is sounding better than my current plan of staying in Gropius. I'd be interested in Harvard housing thats like 10-15 mins walk max, so we can get 9 month leases. Does this exist :o


It does! But here's my question. With a 9-month lease, you'll save approx $3k on summer rent (on the $2k for 2-bedroom assumption). But between moving out, storing all your furniture, packing and unpacking all your shit, and moving back in... Would it be the same price or cheaper to just keep a 12-month lease?

But... the Harvard buildings with 9-month leases are really nice and have great amenities. I can't decide.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:42 pm

Lol for the dude who was freaking out earlier on TLS about not receiving his book. Harvard FB just posted this:

"JD Admiss Harvard‎Harvard Law School - Class of 2017
We’re glad some of you have started to receive your personally signed books. Our faculty spend a lot of time on these. For those who haven’t received theirs yet, more will be in the mail soon!"

:D :D they must be reading TLS

User avatar
koalacity
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby koalacity » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:42 pm

paglababa wrote:Lol for the dude who was freaking out earlier on TLS about not receiving his book. Harvard FB just posted this:

"JD Admiss Harvard‎Harvard Law School - Class of 2017
We’re glad some of you have started to receive your personally signed books. Our faculty spend a lot of time on these. For those who haven’t received theirs yet, more will be in the mail soon!"

:D :D they must be reading TLS

:lol: :lol:

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:13 pm

paglababa wrote:Lol for the dude who was freaking out earlier on TLS about not receiving his book. Harvard FB just posted this:

"JD Admiss Harvard‎Harvard Law School - Class of 2017
We’re glad some of you have started to receive your personally signed books. Our faculty spend a lot of time on these. For those who haven’t received theirs yet, more will be in the mail soon!"

:D :D they must be reading TLS


HAI JS

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby The-Specs » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:18 pm

paglababa wrote:Lol for the dude who was freaking out earlier on TLS about not receiving his book. Harvard FB just posted this:

"JD Admiss Harvard‎Harvard Law School - Class of 2017
We’re glad some of you have started to receive your personally signed books. Our faculty spend a lot of time on these. For those who haven’t received theirs yet, more will be in the mail soon!"

:D :D they must be reading TLS


HAHAHAHA This is too much!

User avatar
Sourrudedude
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Sourrudedude » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:37 pm

paglababa wrote:Lol for the dude who was freaking out earlier on TLS about not receiving his book. Harvard FB just posted this:

"JD Admiss Harvard‎Harvard Law School - Class of 2017
We’re glad some of you have started to receive your personally signed books. Our faculty spend a lot of time on these. For those who haven’t received theirs yet, more will be in the mail soon!"

:D :D they must be reading TLS

Or worse, someone from TLS called.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:55 pm

cway wrote:
paglababa wrote:
cway wrote:So guys, when is it time to start finding a roommate? It seems like you can find 2 bedroom apts for $2k total pretty easily in both Harvard housing and via brokers.

Also. If you plan to spend the summers out of Boston, is it better to move in and out (4 times total! ugh what a pain.) or just pay the summer rent? Does Harvard apartment housing even allow 12 month leases?


This is sounding better than my current plan of staying in Gropius. I'd be interested in Harvard housing thats like 10-15 mins walk max, so we can get 9 month leases. Does this exist :o


It does! But here's my question. With a 9-month lease, you'll save approx $3k on summer rent (on the $2k for 2-bedroom assumption). But between moving out, storing all your furniture, packing and unpacking all your shit, and moving back in... Would it be the same price or cheaper to just keep a 12-month lease?

But... the Harvard buildings with 9-month leases are really nice and have great amenities. I can't decide.


Are you talking about the HUHousing? It said that upper classmen get first dibs on those, I wonder if they normally have any room left for 1Ls?

blckwsl
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby blckwsl » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Hello. This may be a stupid question, but do you need to register for the Admitted Students Weekends? I can't seem to find it on the HLS website. Thanks in advance for any help.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2220
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:39 pm

blckwsl wrote:Hello. This may be a stupid question, but do you need to register for the Admitted Students Weekends? I can't seem to find it on the HLS website. Thanks in advance for any help.


Yes you do. You need to log into the admitted students website and it should be somewhere in there.

User avatar
residentemma
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby residentemma » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:57 pm

cway wrote:So guys, when is it time to start finding a roommate? It seems like you can find 2 bedroom apts for $2k total pretty easily in both Harvard housing and via brokers.

Also. If you plan to spend the summers out of Boston, is it better to move in and out (4 times total! ugh what a pain.) or just pay the summer rent? Does Harvard apartment housing even allow 12 month leases?


You could get a 12 month lease and try to find a sublet during the summer

Frozen98
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Frozen98 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:17 pm

if they did read the whole book panic, are there a lot of people who haven't received books yet? or am I only one of 5 or 6, which means I could've outted myself as someone who doesn't have a book?

I've generally been careful on TLS (even in PMs) not to share outtable info and to give "fudged" info when it's not crucial to a discussion. e.g.: stats, date of acceptance, geographic region, major, etc.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2220
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Frozen98 wrote:if they did read the whole book panic, are there a lot of people who haven't received books yet? or am I only one of 5 or 6, which means I could've outted myself as someone who doesn't have a book?

I've generally been careful on TLS (even in PMs) not to share outtable info and to give "fudged" info when it's not crucial to a discussion. e.g.: stats, date of acceptance, geographic region, major, etc.


You're networking on an internet forum. Not leaking NSA secrets. Calm down.

User avatar
DrStudMuffin
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby DrStudMuffin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:22 pm

jingosaur wrote:
Frozen98 wrote:if they did read the whole book panic, are there a lot of people who haven't received books yet? or am I only one of 5 or 6, which means I could've outted myself as someone who doesn't have a book?

I've generally been careful on TLS (even in PMs) not to share outtable info and to give "fudged" info when it's not crucial to a discussion. e.g.: stats, date of acceptance, geographic region, major, etc.


You're networking on an internet forum. Not leaking NSA secrets. Calm down.


Seriously. Christ.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TripTrip » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:38 pm

Frozen98 wrote:if they did read the whole book panic, are there a lot of people who haven't received books yet? or am I only one of 5 or 6, which means I could've outted myself as someone who doesn't have a book?

I've generally been careful on TLS (even in PMs) not to share outtable info and to give "fudged" info when it's not crucial to a discussion. e.g.: stats, date of acceptance, geographic region, major, etc.

You were already admitted. You can say whatever you want now.

Frozen98
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Frozen98 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:52 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Frozen98 wrote:if they did read the whole book panic, are there a lot of people who haven't received books yet? or am I only one of 5 or 6, which means I could've outted myself as someone who doesn't have a book?

I've generally been careful on TLS (even in PMs) not to share outtable info and to give "fudged" info when it's not crucial to a discussion. e.g.: stats, date of acceptance, geographic region, major, etc.

You were already admitted. You can say whatever you want now.


I think I'll pass on saying whatever.
Now that I think about it, I probably didn't out myself yet because even if they track whom they've sent books to, they don't know if I'm someone who just hasn't received one or who hasn't been sent one yet.

So since I'm in a state where it traditionally takes USPS toward the higher end of its range to deliver something from the east coast (CA/OR/WA/AZ/NM/TX), my book could be on its way.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby The-Specs » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:57 pm

Frozen98 wrote:I think I'll pass on saying whatever.
Now that I think about it, I probably didn't out myself yet because even if they track whom they've sent books to, they don't know if I'm someone who just hasn't received one or who hasn't been sent one yet.

So since I'm in a state where it traditionally takes USPS toward the higher end of its range to deliver something from the east coast (CA/OR/WA/AZ/NM/TX), my book could be on its way.


You must be the most paranoid person I have ever had the priviledge of interacting with. It is unbelievable. I am pretty excited to see what you will be like around exam times. :lol:

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:59 pm

Has anyone been in email contact with Student Financial Services via email? I sent them a question about a week ago and haven't heard back, I'll probably try to call tomorrow but I was just curious if that was an ordinary response time.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby The-Specs » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Has anyone been in email contact with Student Financial Services via email? I sent them a question about a week ago and haven't heard back, I'll probably try to call tomorrow but I was just curious if that was an ordinary response time.


Really? I have been emailing and getting emails back from them for a couple of weeks. Definitely call. They are great. :)

cway
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby cway » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:08 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
cway wrote:
paglababa wrote:
cway wrote:So guys, when is it time to start finding a roommate? It seems like you can find 2 bedroom apts for $2k total pretty easily in both Harvard housing and via brokers.

Also. If you plan to spend the summers out of Boston, is it better to move in and out (4 times total! ugh what a pain.) or just pay the summer rent? Does Harvard apartment housing even allow 12 month leases?


This is sounding better than my current plan of staying in Gropius. I'd be interested in Harvard housing thats like 10-15 mins walk max, so we can get 9 month leases. Does this exist :o


It does! But here's my question. With a 9-month lease, you'll save approx $3k on summer rent (on the $2k for 2-bedroom assumption). But between moving out, storing all your furniture, packing and unpacking all your shit, and moving back in... Would it be the same price or cheaper to just keep a 12-month lease?

But... the Harvard buildings with 9-month leases are really nice and have great amenities. I can't decide.


Are you talking about the HUHousing? It said that upper classmen get first dibs on those, I wonder if they normally have any room left for 1Ls?


Honestly I have no idea. Just trying to delve into the options online, and the admitted students site doesn't really explain much. If you can add any clarity, I'd appreciate it!

From what I gather, there are Harvard Law dorms, Harvard University apartments, or off-campus... But I have no idea how hard each option is to get.

User avatar
koalacity
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby koalacity » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Frozen98 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Frozen98 wrote:if they did read the whole book panic, are there a lot of people who haven't received books yet? or am I only one of 5 or 6, which means I could've outted myself as someone who doesn't have a book?

I've generally been careful on TLS (even in PMs) not to share outtable info and to give "fudged" info when it's not crucial to a discussion. e.g.: stats, date of acceptance, geographic region, major, etc.

You were already admitted. You can say whatever you want now.


I think I'll pass on saying whatever.
Now that I think about it, I probably didn't out myself yet because even if they track whom they've sent books to, they don't know if I'm someone who just hasn't received one or who hasn't been sent one yet.

So since I'm in a state where it traditionally takes USPS toward the higher end of its range to deliver something from the east coast (CA/OR/WA/AZ/NM/TX), my book could be on its way.

On a related note to the bolded, I'm 99% positive (can't verify due to deleted posts) that yesterday you claimed to be in a geographic region (you listed states that included PA/NY, IIRC) within 2 mailing days of Harvard. So...lol, just lol. There really is no need to be this paranoid.

User avatar
DrStudMuffin
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby DrStudMuffin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:19 pm

koalacity wrote:
Frozen98 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Frozen98 wrote:if they did read the whole book panic, are there a lot of people who haven't received books yet? or am I only one of 5 or 6, which means I could've outted myself as someone who doesn't have a book?

I've generally been careful on TLS (even in PMs) not to share outtable info and to give "fudged" info when it's not crucial to a discussion. e.g.: stats, date of acceptance, geographic region, major, etc.

You were already admitted. You can say whatever you want now.


I think I'll pass on saying whatever.
Now that I think about it, I probably didn't out myself yet because even if they track whom they've sent books to, they don't know if I'm someone who just hasn't received one or who hasn't been sent one yet.

So since I'm in a state where it traditionally takes USPS toward the higher end of its range to deliver something from the east coast (CA/OR/WA/AZ/NM/TX), my book could be on its way.

On a related note to the bolded, I'm 99% positive (can't verify due to deleted posts) that yesterday you claimed to be in a geographic region (you listed states that included PA/NY, IIRC) within 2 mailing days of Harvard. So...lol, just lol. There really is no need to be this paranoid.


You're correct. This dude is ridiculous. Or trolling.

Frozen98
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Frozen98 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:24 pm

koalacity wrote:
Frozen98 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Frozen98 wrote:if they did read the whole book panic, are there a lot of people who haven't received books yet? or am I only one of 5 or 6, which means I could've outted myself as someone who doesn't have a book?

I've generally been careful on TLS (even in PMs) not to share outtable info and to give "fudged" info when it's not crucial to a discussion. e.g.: stats, date of acceptance, geographic region, major, etc.

You were already admitted. You can say whatever you want now.


I think I'll pass on saying whatever.
Now that I think about it, I probably didn't out myself yet because even if they track whom they've sent books to, they don't know if I'm someone who just hasn't received one or who hasn't been sent one yet.

So since I'm in a state where it traditionally takes USPS toward the higher end of its range to deliver something from the east coast (CA/OR/WA/AZ/NM/TX), my book could be on its way.

On a related note to the bolded, I'm 99% positive (can't verify due to deleted posts) that yesterday you claimed to be in a geographic region (you listed states that included PA/NY, IIRC) within 2 mailing days of Harvard. So...lol, just lol. There really is no need to be this paranoid.


It's a mixed of fudged and true posts. the only thing is it's hard to figure out which is which. In that last post I basically listed all states east of IL and north of VA. But like I said if my actual state isn't important to the discussion then I'll just throw out a fudged list. Now, my actual state's being on the higher end of the USPS range relative to MA is relevant to a possible explanation of why I haven't received my book yet. So take it FWIW.

Yea there's no need to be paranoid but between option 1 (posting fudged posts on TLS, thus minimizing the chances of JS2->JSNO) and option 2 (posting real posts, not helping me preserve the JS2), you don't think it makes sense to stay under the radar until the coast is really clear?

That's why my Facebook is deactivated until September (which is also why I didn't see the admissions FB post until people put it here).

That is, unless there's some sort of IP tracing going on, but even then my IP doesn't tell anyone much about me because I got a guest login to the network of a local UG that I don't go to. I just live near there with a bunch of people who do go there, whereas I commute to another UG.
Last edited by Frozen98 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:25 pm

PMed me a few weeks ago that he was at the NYC meetup and who I was. Paranoid or trolling super hard. Saw him troll on the "ask a harvard student thread" about not going to class, chilling in Europe, and possibility of still getting good grades...




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests