Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
6
8%
Section 2
12
16%
Section 3
8
11%
Section 4
7
10%
Section 5
19
26%
Section 6
8
11%
Section 7
13
18%
 
Total votes: 73

User avatar
usafgirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby usafgirl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi everyone! I deferred from last year to start a concurrent masters degree. I'm already pretty excited about HLS this fall, and I can't wait to meet everyone... so I'm going to attend the March ASW (again)!

CyanIdes Of March wrote:https://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/jd/secure/admitted/2014-asw-web-schedule.pdf

Anyone know what 'Class Visits' encompasses? I'm trying to decide if the extra $30 plane ticket is worth it for the later flight or not.

Closer to the ASW dates, they'll list a bunch of classes and you choose (rank order) the class you'd like to observe.

User avatar
2x2Matrix
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:37 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby 2x2Matrix » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Poison wrote:Of interest to the JD/MBA crowd, I found this paper written in '05 that analyzes survey results of Harvard JD/MBA alumni from the '70s onward. Very interesting read...

http://hbsguru.com/blog/wp-content/uplo ... mba-jd.pdf


Great read, thanks for sharing. Very consistent with what I've heard anecdotally at a high level. I imagine the cultural aspect of HLS has improved since this study, with a significantly higher portion of the incoming class having had work experience and the school trying to push a stronger community. That said, it still won't rival the fun/network of HBS.

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby HorseThief » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:56 pm

2x2Matrix wrote:
Poison wrote:Of interest to the JD/MBA crowd, I found this paper written in '05 that analyzes survey results of Harvard JD/MBA alumni from the '70s onward. Very interesting read...

http://hbsguru.com/blog/wp-content/uplo ... mba-jd.pdf


Great read, thanks for sharing. Very consistent with what I've heard anecdotally at a high level. I imagine the cultural aspect of HLS has improved since this study, with a significantly higher portion of the incoming class having had work experience and the school trying to push a stronger community. That said, it still won't rival the fun/network of HBS.


Oh, just you wait ;)

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:49 am

Ooo, I am interested in splitting a room with anyone near campus for the March ASW (I'm female, in case that matters).

I'm also still down for NYC drinks meetup!

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2222
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:21 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Ooo, I am interested in splitting a room with anyone near campus for the March ASW (I'm female, in case that matters).

I'm also still down for NYC drinks meetup!


+1 to NYC drinks meetup.

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby codyoneill » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:49 pm

jingosaur wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Ooo, I am interested in splitting a room with anyone near campus for the March ASW (I'm female, in case that matters).

I'm also still down for NYC drinks meetup!


+1 to NYC drinks meetup.


+1 here as well

Let's do drinks on the 25th, that seemed to be the consensus around these parts.

brooklynbuckeye
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby brooklynbuckeye » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:04 pm

+1 for the 25th

cway
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby cway » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:17 pm

brooklynbuckeye wrote:+1 for the 25th


+1. Any location suggestions?

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby codyoneill » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:42 pm

cway wrote:
brooklynbuckeye wrote:+1 for the 25th


+1. Any location suggestions?


Well, I'm going off the idea that we're all going to be broke law students in a few months, so cheap/uncrowded/good place to talk/centrally located are the criteria I'm considering.

I would suggest Black and White near Union Square (https://plus.google.com/106991100014057 ... l=us&hl=en). It's a total dive, but the beers aren't expensive and whenever I've gone with friends we can usually snag a booth if we're there early enough (8pm-ish). Plus, I went there to celebrate getting into HLS so it has good Harvard memories for me already :lol: .

BUT I am open to other suggestions. Again, it's a dive so there's nothing to special about it. I just generally have a hard time finding bars where a group of people can talk without screaming. But it does get loud/rowdy later at night.

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby codyoneill » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:43 pm

But if we're thinking about Brooklyn, I would highly suggest Pacific Standard. It feels like a library in the back!

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby applelover » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:05 pm

Just double checking.. Harvard doesn't offer admitted students the opportunity to stay with current students during ASWs correct?

cway
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby cway » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:22 pm

applelover wrote:Just double checking.. Harvard doesn't offer admitted students the opportunity to stay with current students during ASWs correct?


The accommodations link on the ASW page just lists a bunch of hotels, so I don't think so... :|

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:27 pm

applelover wrote:Just double checking.. Harvard doesn't offer admitted students the opportunity to stay with current students during ASWs correct?


I asked about this, they told me they weren't doing that this year.

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby applelover » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:32 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
applelover wrote:Just double checking.. Harvard doesn't offer admitted students the opportunity to stay with current students during ASWs correct?


I asked about this, they told me they weren't doing that this year.


That sucks. I really can't afford those Cambridge hotel prices right now.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:37 pm

https://learnleo.com/

LearnLeo is hiring 1L reps for Harvard's class of 2017. I know it's ridiculously early to ask, but if you're 100% set on Harvard shoot me a PM and I'll explain what is involved.

User avatar
js101b
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby js101b » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Poison wrote:Of interest to the JD/MBA crowd, I found this paper written in '05 that analyzes survey results of Harvard JD/MBA alumni from the '70s onward. Very interesting read...

http://hbsguru.com/blog/wp-content/uplo ... mba-jd.pdf


Thank you for sharing this!

foraker
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby foraker » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:25 pm

Hey all, just want to say congrats to all the fellow admits! I'm excited to meet everyone, and I'm looking forward to the March ASW. I'm in for drinks on the 25th in NYC as well.

tls2175
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby tls2175 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Have people been getting any emails from HLS (students, student organizations, professors, etc.) in the new year?

I filled out the student survey as soon as I had the opportunity but I still have not received any emails regarding my responses (as some people have mentioned). My admissions officer emailed me later that day or the next suggesting I fill out the student survey. I figured that she just had not seen that I had completed it already but now I'm tempted to fill it out again. Thoughts?

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby kershka » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:54 pm

tls2175 wrote:Have people been getting any emails from HLS (students, student organizations, professors, etc.) in the new year?

I filled out the student survey as soon as I had the opportunity but I still have not received any emails regarding my responses (as some people have mentioned). My admissions officer emailed me later that day or the next suggesting I fill out the student survey. I figured that she just had not seen that I had completed it already but now I'm tempted to fill it out again. Thoughts?

I almost did the same thing (re: filling out the survey twice) because I received that email after I had already completed the survey but then this weekend and Monday I got bombarded with emails. It made my acceptance real again :P Harvard is so friendly.

Give it a little while longer; they have your survey but there were a lot of recent admits and we all were admitted right before their winter break.

tls2175
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby tls2175 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:13 pm

kershka wrote:
tls2175 wrote:Have people been getting any emails from HLS (students, student organizations, professors, etc.) in the new year?

I filled out the student survey as soon as I had the opportunity but I still have not received any emails regarding my responses (as some people have mentioned). My admissions officer emailed me later that day or the next suggesting I fill out the student survey. I figured that she just had not seen that I had completed it already but now I'm tempted to fill it out again. Thoughts?

I almost did the same thing (re: filling out the survey twice) because I received that email after I had already completed the survey but then this weekend and Monday I got bombarded with emails. It made my acceptance real again :P Harvard is so friendly.

Give it a little while longer; they have your survey but there were a lot of recent admits and we all were admitted right before their winter break.

Solid advice and effective nerve-calming as usual, kershka. Thanks!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:01 pm

You guys are checking your Harvard emails not just your personal emails, right?

tls2175
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby tls2175 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:05 pm

TripTrip wrote:You guys are checking your Harvard emails not just your personal emails, right?

Yep. I think that's their main method for contacting us from now on.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:38 pm

TripTrip wrote:You guys are checking your Harvard emails not just your personal emails, right?


I keep forgetting about that email address, I even open it but somehow that tab merges into my other gmail tab in my mind's eye.

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby HorseThief » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:34 pm

tls2175 wrote:Have people been getting any emails from HLS (students, student organizations, professors, etc.) in the new year?

I filled out the student survey as soon as I had the opportunity but I still have not received any emails regarding my responses (as some people have mentioned). My admissions officer emailed me later that day or the next suggesting I fill out the student survey. I figured that she just had not seen that I had completed it already but now I'm tempted to fill it out again. Thoughts?


I got an e-mail form a student and didn't even fill out the survey yet. They're probably just going through the lists.

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby lastsamurai » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:07 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
TripTrip wrote:You guys are checking your Harvard emails not just your personal emails, right?


I keep forgetting about that email address, I even open it but somehow that tab merges into my other gmail tab in my mind's eye.


You can have it forwarded to your gmail...I think it makes everything much simpler




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest