Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
6
8%
Section 2
12
16%
Section 3
8
11%
Section 4
7
10%
Section 5
19
26%
Section 6
8
11%
Section 7
13
18%
 
Total votes: 73

webbdp3
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby webbdp3 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:15 am

A little late to the party but very jacked to say I'm checking in. See you all in a few weeks (I'll be the homeless kid looking for a bed)

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby HorseThief » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:12 am

webbdp3 wrote:A little late to the party but very jacked to say I'm checking in. See you all in a few weeks (I'll be the homeless kid looking for a bed)


Congrats! Be sure to check http://www3.law.harvard.edu/dos/hlslist/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/harvardgradmarket/ for housing opportunities.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby az21833 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:46 pm

Pneumonia wrote:so my Quikpayr says "balance due: 0$" -but- my Status Checker doesn't have the box checked for "Fall Semester Term Bill Cleared." Anybody know what any of this means?


think this is the boat we are all in

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:00 am

Your status checker is irrelevant in August and beyond.

Go by the link in your financial aid step 3 email.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:39 pm

Today's the last day to waive the health insurance plan. Does anyone know if there's any hidden (or not so hidden) problems with having 2 health insurances policies (one from my dad's job and HLS')? Since I'm a grant recipient waiving it apparently just means I'm giving them back the exact same amount of money that the insurance plan cost. So the only reason I can see for waiving it is if there would be other problems associated with having 2 that I'm unaware of.

robotrick
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby robotrick » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:56 pm

I've always had 2 insurances and never run into any issues beyond sometimes having double the paperwork to submit claims...

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:06 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:Since I'm a grant recipient waiving it apparently just means I'm giving them back the exact same amount of money that the insurance plan cost.

The increase in your student budget is not the same as an increase in the amount of your grant. Waiving health insurance reduces your student budget, but not your grant.

Source: grant recipient who waives HLS insurance to reduce his student loans. (Also, the student budget page.)

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:19 pm

TripTrip wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:Since I'm a grant recipient waiving it apparently just means I'm giving them back the exact same amount of money that the insurance plan cost.

The increase in your student budget is not the same as an increase in the amount of your grant. Waiving health insurance reduces your student budget, but not your grant.

Source: grant recipient who waives HLS insurance to reduce his student loans. (Also, the student budget page.)


That's true but this is what they sent me verbatim:

Waiving this plan will result in a decrease of $2,366 from your budget. Due to the lower budget, your grant eligibility will be also lowered by the same amount.


So I'm thinking this means a 1:1 reduction of insurance:grants.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TripTrip » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:36 am

It may vary depending on the specifics of your aid package.

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:10 am

Just stumbled across this, thought I'd share: --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby codyoneill » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:15 am

politics89 wrote:Just stumbled across this, thought I'd share: --LinkRemoved--


Holy Cow, that's a lot of tours! I had assumed we were just getting tours of Harvard campus.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:13 pm

This might help allay some grade concerns: http://hlrecord.org/?p=452

I'm super excited to get to Boston. Too bad I won't be arriving at Logan until the morning of move-in day :lol:

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby az21833 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:23 pm

Has anybody been able to log into HELIOS? They keep telling us we need to update a bunch of stuff in there by mid august but I can't get in

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby yomisterd » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:33 am

t-14orbust wrote:This might help allay some grade concerns: http://hlrecord.org/?p=452

I'm super excited to get to Boston. Too bad I won't be arriving at Logan until the morning of move-in day :lol:


Best comment:

DID YOU GUYS HEAR THAT ALBERT EINSTEIN GOT AN F IN HISTORY?? LOL SEE OTHERWISE BRILLIANT PEOPLE ARE AVERAGE JUST LIEK U SOMETIMES

asdfdsa
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:00 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby asdfdsa » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:34 am

az21833 wrote:Has anybody been able to log into HELIOS? They keep telling us we need to update a bunch of stuff in there by mid august but I can't get in


I can't either :/. Good thing i'm not the only one

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby codyoneill » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:14 am

asdfdsa wrote:
az21833 wrote:Has anybody been able to log into HELIOS? They keep telling us we need to update a bunch of stuff in there by mid august but I can't get in


I can't either :/. Good thing i'm not the only one


Same.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby The-Specs » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:33 pm

So, what is the consensus on when we get our section assignments? Next Friday?

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:01 pm

The-Specs wrote:So, what is the consensus on when we get our section assignments? Next Friday?


I am getting so excited for section assignments it's kind of ridiculous.

User avatar
MnM22
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby MnM22 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:30 pm

I cannot log into Helios either.

Question: Does anyone know why the sections are 1, 5, 6, and 7? Like why no 2-4? And does it matter which you are in?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TripTrip » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:29 pm

MnM22 wrote:Question: Does anyone know why the sections are 1, 5, 6, and 7? Like why no 2-4? And does it matter which you are in?

I can assure you that all seven sections exist. And yes, it matters which you are in. All of your classes will be with that section first semester, and most of them second semester.

Here's how the sections are chosen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQZFWA2KDbw

We've advanced slightly past the hat. Now there's a computer algorithm. I've heard that the file name is sorting_hat.exe

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:49 pm

TripTrip wrote:
MnM22 wrote:Question: Does anyone know why the sections are 1, 5, 6, and 7? Like why no 2-4? And does it matter which you are in?

I can assure you that all seven sections exist. And yes, it matters which you are in. All of your classes will be with that section first semester, and most of them second semester.

Here's how the sections are chosen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQZFWA2KDbw

We've advanced slightly past the hat. Now there's a computer algorithm. I've heard that the file name is sorting_hat.exe


But which section is Slytherin?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TripTrip » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:58 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
MnM22 wrote:Question: Does anyone know why the sections are 1, 5, 6, and 7? Like why no 2-4? And does it matter which you are in?

I can assure you that all seven sections exist. And yes, it matters which you are in. All of your classes will be with that section first semester, and most of them second semester.

Here's how the sections are chosen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQZFWA2KDbw

We've advanced slightly past the hat. Now there's a computer algorithm. I've heard that the file name is sorting_hat.exe


But which section is Slytherin?

3.

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby yomisterd » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:17 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
MnM22 wrote:Question: Does anyone know why the sections are 1, 5, 6, and 7? Like why no 2-4? And does it matter which you are in?

I can assure you that all seven sections exist. And yes, it matters which you are in. All of your classes will be with that section first semester, and most of them second semester.

Here's how the sections are chosen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQZFWA2KDbw

We've advanced slightly past the hat. Now there's a computer algorithm. I've heard that the file name is sorting_hat.exe


But which section is Slytherin?


The most important question. We should definitely have section quidditch a la The Internship.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:32 pm

yomisterd wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I can assure you that all seven sections exist. And yes, it matters which you are in. All of your classes will be with that section first semester, and most of them second semester.

Here's how the sections are chosen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQZFWA2KDbw

We've advanced slightly past the hat. Now there's a computer algorithm. I've heard that the file name is sorting_hat.exe


But which section is Slytherin?


The most important question. We should definitely have section quidditch a la The Internship.


Problem: seven sections, four houses of Hogwarts. Is section 2 Beauxbatons?

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Side topic, continue on with the sorting debate :)

For those who have already moved to the area, are you able to pick up your Harvard IDs early or do you have to wait until orientation?




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest