Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
6
8%
Section 2
12
16%
Section 3
8
11%
Section 4
7
10%
Section 5
19
26%
Section 6
8
11%
Section 7
13
18%
 
Total votes: 73

dirkgently
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby dirkgently » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:26 pm

So, just to reiterate, we don't have to pay the bill by August 1st as long as HLS knows we're getting financial aid? Does signing the promissory note automatically give you the Stafford loan, or is there another step? Likewise, is applying for a GradPLUS loan as simple as filling out the form on the student loans website, or is there more to it?

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2195
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:31 pm

dirkgently wrote:So, just to reiterate, we don't have to pay the bill by August 1st as long as HLS knows we're getting financial aid? Does signing the promissory note automatically give you the Stafford loan, or is there another step? Likewise, is applying for a GradPLUS loan as simple as filling out the form on the student loans website, or is there more to it?


You have to fill out the form AND type in how much money you want to take out, accounting for loan fees of course. You should do it as soon as you can though just so you don't have to jump through hoops and stuff to get all of your loans next month.

gottago
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby gottago » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Perkins
Last edited by gottago on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:34 am

HorseThief wrote:
OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:New poll? How about "Where will you be living?" divided by dorms/HLS Housing/HUH/neighborhood.


Updated!


I've decided on Hastings. I would had prefered doing near-campus apartments but I have so many immediate financial problems that I won't be able to swing that until next year.

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby codyoneill » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:40 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:New poll? How about "Where will you be living?" divided by dorms/HLS Housing/HUH/neighborhood.


Updated!


I've decided on Hastings. I would had prefered doing near-campus apartments but I have so many immediate financial problems that I won't be able to swing that until next year.


I am already here in Harvard University Housing!

I told this thread I would update with how things went, but then IKEA happened.

In any case, for those anticipating the HUH move: unbelievably easy. My parents, god bless their souls, offered to help me move, so I just signed up for a one day parking pass in the parking lot for my building ($6), picked up the keys from the housing office, and lugged my stuff on in.

No problems to speak of. The apartment matched the floorplan almost exactly. The oven and fridge are smaller than normal, and the bedroom wall juts out in one corner so it doesn't form a perfect 90 degree angle, but these are small things. Fixtures are nice, neighbors seem friendly.

For those considering bringing a car: I cannot tell you how unbelievably easy it has been. I kid you not, my second day here I showed up at the Cambridge parking office with my registration and two pieces of mail and 5 minutes and 25 dollars later, I can park almost anywhere in Cambridge without a problem. And it comes with a visitor pass so whenever family or friends visit, bam, they don't have to worry about parking either. Maybe it is just the summer slow-down, but I have spent a grand total of 0 minutes looking for parking outside my place, and maybe on average 30 seconds looking for parking elsewhere. Maybe this doesn't sound all that great to you but coming from NYC, this is unbelievable. Because only Cambridge residents can park on permit parking streets (which are basically any residentialish street in Cambridge) there are always parking spots.

All this being said, if I had a car and did not have a Cambridge parking permit, my parking experience would be absolutely miserable. I would not even attempt to use my car much in Cambridge without it.

Can't wait to see y'all in the fall!

User avatar
chicky
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby chicky » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:54 am

codyoneill wrote:
For those considering bringing a car: I cannot tell you how unbelievably easy it has been. I kid you not, my second day here I showed up at the Cambridge parking office with my registration and two pieces of mail and 5 minutes and 25 dollars later, I can park almost anywhere in Cambridge without a problem. And it comes with a visitor pass so whenever family or friends visit, bam, they don't have to worry about parking either. Maybe it is just the summer slow-down, but I have spent a grand total of 0 minutes looking for parking outside my place, and maybe on average 30 seconds looking for parking elsewhere. Maybe this doesn't sound all that great to you but coming from NYC, this is unbelievable. Because only Cambridge residents can park on permit parking streets (which are basically any residentialish street in Cambridge) there are always parking spots.

All this being said, if I had a car and did not have a Cambridge parking permit, my parking experience would be absolutely miserable. I would not even attempt to use my car much in Cambridge without it.


Quick note: traffic (and parking difficulties, and even just walking through Harvard Square) will get a lot worse when the massive student influx happens in mid August. It has at times taken my roommates longer to find parking around Harvard that it would have taken to just walk there. That said, I'm sure it's always easier than parking in New York.

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby codyoneill » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:59 am

chicky wrote:
codyoneill wrote:
For those considering bringing a car: I cannot tell you how unbelievably easy it has been. I kid you not, my second day here I showed up at the Cambridge parking office with my registration and two pieces of mail and 5 minutes and 25 dollars later, I can park almost anywhere in Cambridge without a problem. And it comes with a visitor pass so whenever family or friends visit, bam, they don't have to worry about parking either. Maybe it is just the summer slow-down, but I have spent a grand total of 0 minutes looking for parking outside my place, and maybe on average 30 seconds looking for parking elsewhere. Maybe this doesn't sound all that great to you but coming from NYC, this is unbelievable. Because only Cambridge residents can park on permit parking streets (which are basically any residentialish street in Cambridge) there are always parking spots.

All this being said, if I had a car and did not have a Cambridge parking permit, my parking experience would be absolutely miserable. I would not even attempt to use my car much in Cambridge without it.


Quick note: traffic (and parking difficulties, and even just walking through Harvard Square) will get a lot worse when the massive student influx happens in mid August. It has at times taken my roommates longer to find parking around Harvard that it would have taken to just walk there. That said, I'm sure it's always easier than parking in New York.


I probably should have put that caveat in there, too. I'm not and would not recommend using a car for your daily commute. I'm in Harvard University Housing, but I'm residentially ensconced enough (10-15 minute walk from law campus) that I hope parking won't turn into a total nightmare. If I'm wrong, at least I had a nice summer!

Oh, and for those concerned about street cleaning: I know Somerville is different, but where I am in Cambridge, there is only street cleaning once a month, so it is not much of a hassle. The winter, on the other hand...

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:01 pm

gottago wrote:For PLUS: did you just type in the # that HLS showed next to PLUS, or did you run your own calcs to determine how much you'd need?

HLS gave me a large grant, the max Stafford loan, an HLS loan, maybe a Perkins loan, and ~$15,000 in PLUS. Just take them at their word or did you actually run a budge? I figure I can just borrow more later if need be


I'm taking slightly less than they advise, although I didn't receive a grant package.

Has anyone opted for a private education lender instead of GradPLUS? What was your reasoning?

(Also, I thought there was no longer a private student loan industry?)

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby codyoneill » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:18 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
gottago wrote:For PLUS: did you just type in the # that HLS showed next to PLUS, or did you run your own calcs to determine how much you'd need?

HLS gave me a large grant, the max Stafford loan, an HLS loan, maybe a Perkins loan, and ~$15,000 in PLUS. Just take them at their word or did you actually run a budge? I figure I can just borrow more later if need be


I'm taking slightly less than they advise, although I didn't receive a grant package.

Has anyone opted for a private education lender instead of GradPLUS? What was your reasoning?

(Also, I thought there was no longer a private student loan industry?)


I'm taking less than they advised, but I have an SO who is making money and I know I can make a budget stretch. I just know that I'm going to end up spending however much money I have on hand, so if I restrict the initial pool, I'l probably save more in the long run. And I can always bump up the amount for second semester.

I'm going with the Stafford and private loans. I was able to find a better private loan deal, but my parents cosigned and they have great credit history and I have a good credit history, which brought the rate down.
For those who are curious: I'm on a 10 year repayment plan, full deferment, 4.6% variable rate, no loan origination fee, 3% principle reduction upon graduation, and couple .25% perks for on-time payments and online debit card links.

Basically I decided to hedge my bets using the Stafford at fixed rates, but taking advantage of interest rates being so low right now and taking out some variable rate loans. Then, if interest rates spike, I'll try to pay off my variable loans first and pay the minimum on my Stafford, and vice versa.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Argh, when do we actually get to see our bill? We've gotten like five lead up ones now..

Also, anyone going to the drinks meetup in NYC tomorrow night?

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:06 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Argh, when do we actually get to see our bill? We've gotten like five lead up ones now..

Also, anyone going to the drinks meetup in NYC tomorrow night?


Love that the lead up email was in Comic Sans, but really, just send it.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:14 pm

politics89 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Argh, when do we actually get to see our bill? We've gotten like five lead up ones now..

Also, anyone going to the drinks meetup in NYC tomorrow night?


Love that the lead up email was in Comic Sans, but really, just send it.


I appreciated this as well.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Still no bill.. Any day now.....

User avatar
PotenC
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby PotenC » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Did anyone else get the email guaranteeing waived tuition for 2014-15 if the bill wasn't sent out by the end of the business day today? Image

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:06 pm

This seems like a really good opportunity to remind people of the drinks meetup tomorrow night. Ginger Man (11 E 36th St.), 6:30 PM. I'm sure everyone is about ready for an alcoholic beverage by now.

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby yomisterd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:31 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:This seems like a really good opportunity to remind people of the drinks meetup tomorrow night. Ginger Man (11 E 36th St.), 6:30 PM. I'm sure everyone is about ready for an alcoholic beverage by now.


Will be there for sure. Good chance to try out my new ID. After two years of living in NYC w/o driving, finally renewed my license.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:17 pm

You remember that time HLS was all, "Yeah, yeah, we are def sending you your bill on the 9th. No seriously, the 9th! Hey, did you hear me say the 9th? The 9th! Okay, any minute now.."

"Aaaah, psych! You totes fell for it! Idiot."

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:45 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:You remember that time HLS was all, "Yeah, yeah, we are def sending you your bill on the 9th. No seriously, the 9th! Hey, did you hear me say the 9th? The 9th! Okay, any minute now.."

"Aaaah, psych! You totes fell for it! Idiot."


This is one of those times I'm glad I found TLS, lest I think something was wrong since I did not receive my bill on the day they verbatim said I would.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2195
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:58 pm

Image

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby malleus discentium » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:51 pm

I love that on the page there is literally a link that says "What is a PIN/Password?" because THAT is now confusing and byzantine HLS logins are.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:08 am

Now that it is officially the 10th, I receive my bill. :lol:

malleus discentium wrote:I love that on the page there is literally a link that says "What is a PIN/Password?" because THAT is now confusing and byzantine HLS logins are.


Yeah, I really don't understand the lack of cohesiveness between all their logins. Some other school, peer to HLS to which I was also admitted had way, way more intuitive logins. Of course I'm still here, so maybe I'm not the login prestige whore I thought I was.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:09 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:Now that it is officially the 10th, I receive my bill. :lol:

malleus discentium wrote:I love that on the page there is literally a link that says "What is a PIN/Password?" because THAT is now confusing and byzantine HLS logins are.


Yeah, I really don't understand the lack of cohesiveness between all their logins. Some other school, peer to HLS to which I was also admitted had way, way more intuitive logins. Of course I'm still here, so maybe I'm not the login prestige whore I thought I was.

Yeah, I am def just a regular prestige whore.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:07 am

Does anyone show their grants and/or loans as being awarded, or should everything be "anticipated" right now?

ETA: Nvm, pretty sure I'm good. http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/billing/credits.html

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:24 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Does anyone show their grants and/or loans as being awarded, or should everything be "anticipated" right now?

ETA: Nvm, pretty sure I'm good. http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/billing/credits.html


Yeppers your fine.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Reminder #85 that there's a drinks meetup tonight in NYC. :)




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest