Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
8%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
10%
Section 5
26%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
18%

Total votes: 73

Nonconsecutive

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:59 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
politics89 wrote:
Wait I'm confused. I waived mine and my grant didn't change?

I think they make the adjustment later in the summer, once all the waivers have been finalized.

It depends on what you put on your initial SFS application. If you already knew you were waiving, and said so in the application, then they simply didn't include it in the Student Budget (and associated grant)--which is complete shit. Apparently waiving means you don't need a line item for health insurance anymore...

I wasn't sure at the time, so I said I would not waive it, but ended up doing so. Once I did this (or perhaps it was sent to everybody), an email was generated by SFS saying that I needed to send in an amended application for aid so that they could properly reduce my grant by $2,300 (appx).

Ah yes, good point, I was assuming politics89 meant they waived it after the fact.

I did the same thing, since I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I was actually in the process of getting outside insurance, but I saw the SFS email before I got too far along and hadn't submitted a waiver yet. I really wish they would have made this a bit more clear early on. Maybe they did, but if so I missed it.

sjgonzalez3

Postby sjgonzalez3 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:13 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
sjgonzalez3 wrote:
It depends on what you put on your initial SFS application. If you already knew you were waiving, and said so in the application, then they simply didn't include it in the Student Budget (and associated grant)--which is complete shit. Apparently waiving means you don't need a line item for health insurance anymore...

I wasn't sure at the time, so I said I would not waive it, but ended up doing so. Once I did this (or perhaps it was sent to everybody), an email was generated by SFS saying that I needed to send in an amended application for aid so that they could properly reduce my grant by $2,300 (appx).

Ah yes, good point, I was assuming politics89 meant they waived it after the fact.

I did the same thing, since I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I was actually in the process of getting outside insurance, but I saw the SFS email before I got too far along and hadn't submitted a waiver yet. I really wish they would have made this a bit more clear early on. Maybe they did, but if so I missed it.

It's a completely asinine policy, especially (as you've said) when they don't make it clear at the onset that only their health insurance can be included in a Student Budget. They did inform me that I might be able to reverse the waiver, but as I'm paying pennies to stay on my parent's insurance (thanks Obama) we'll see... the convenience of having a clinic on campus is pretty appealing.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
sjgonzalez3 wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
politics89 wrote:
Wait I'm confused. I waived mine and my grant didn't change?

I think they make the adjustment later in the summer, once all the waivers have been finalized.

Ohhh this makes sense now. I had said yes on the initial app because I was covered by my parents. Thanks for explaining!!

hop

Postby hop » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:11 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:It's a completely asinine policy, especially (as you've said) when they don't make it clear at the onset that only their health insurance can be included in a Student Budget. They did inform me that I might be able to reverse the waiver, but as I'm paying pennies to stay on my parent's insurance (thanks Obama) we'll see... the convenience of having a clinic on campus is pretty appealing.

+1 that this is an asinine policy. Re. the on-campus clinic, the student health fee covers annual physicals and I think some other services, though I'm not sure which. However, the student health fee does not cover lab tests. The on-campus lab is Quest Diagnostics, so it will be somewhat inconvenient if they aren't in the network of your non-Harvard insurance.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:51 am

Isn't this exactly why one makes friends with med students? If you play your cards right, you may never need to pay for tests again!

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:05 pm

I'm still looking for housing. If you have a spot/ know someone looking for a roommate, shoot me a PM!

I'm a guy.

za51

Postby za51 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:14 pm

Does anyone have any info on these research assistant positions for incoming 1Ls? Are they worth it? Or are you just a faceless helper?

Cowboy25

Postby Cowboy25 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:20 am

Does anyone have an idea of when we should expect to receive our loans? I have already applied for everything I could and signed the promissory note but have not heard anything about the money actually changing hands. I think I read that the first bill will go out the 9th so it would make sense that we should receive some money rather soon?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:55 am

Cowboy25 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of when we should expect to receive our loans? I have already applied for everything I could and signed the promissory note but have not heard anything about the money actually changing hands. I think I read that the first bill will go out the 9th so it would make sense that we should receive some money rather soon?

Yeah a bill goes out on the 9th but it is for tuition. So if your loans/grants and paperwork are all in order you will be ok on the bill because Harvard will recognize that you have money coming. If your loans/grants total more than tuition then the surplus cannot legally be given to you until 10 days prior to the first day of class.

I think finaid is making some changes wrt how surplus money is distributed; when I spoke to them they said they were revising their apparently previous policy of giving out one lump sum on or around the first day of class. Instead they are giving out an amount proportional to your total loans/grant package on or around Aug. 23rd, and then the rest on Sept. 1st. For me the former amount is almost $2500 and I am doing loans and grants for everything. They said this money is to help with moving expenses and with finding a place to live. The rest of the money will apparently be distributed on either the first day of class or the day before.

ETA: I called to complain about the financial aid distribution because according to the Harvard Students thread the money has previously been distributed at a non-predictable time, sometimes even several days after the first day of class. I'm married and coming straight out of undergrad so my wife and I don't really have the 10k or so in savings that is needed to move to Cambridge, especially since we have to be there on 08/25 for orientation and double-especially if no money was released before that point. So I called finaid and asked what they expected someone in my position to do and that is when they told me the bit about releasing some of the money prior to the first day of class.

If there has been one thing I have really disliked about the process so far it has been that the school just kind of assumes that, even if you are going loans/grants, you have access to whatever amount of cash you need via parents or family or whatever. One of the finaid ladies was pretty incredulous that I was moving in late August; she recommended that I seriously consider moving to Cambridge by 08/01 at the latest because most students will already be there by then. As if serious consideration was the only determinant. She then proceeded to completely fail to understand why it would be problematic for me to receive my student aid after the first day of class (not to mention orientation). Maybe I'll just sleep in my car for a bit or whatever. /rant

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Adult turkeys are narcoleptic due to the effects of all the tryptophan in their bodies.
Last edited by robotrick on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:33 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
Cowboy25 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of when we should expect to receive our loans? I have already applied for everything I could and signed the promissory note but have not heard anything about the money actually changing hands. I think I read that the first bill will go out the 9th so it would make sense that we should receive some money rather soon?

Yeah a bill goes out on the 9th but it is for tuition. So if your loans/grants and paperwork are all in order you will be ok on the bill because Harvard will recognize that you have money coming. If your loans/grants total more than tuition then the surplus cannot legally be given to you until 10 days prior to the first day of class.

I think finaid is making some changes wrt how surplus money is distributed; when I spoke to them they said they were revising their apparently previous policy of giving out one lump sum on or around the first day of class. Instead they are giving out an amount proportional to your total loans/grant package on or around Aug. 23rd, and then the rest on Sept. 1st. For me the former amount is almost $2500 and I am doing loans and grants for everything. They said this money is to help with moving expenses and with finding a place to live. The rest of the money will apparently be distributed on either the first day of class or the day before.

ETA: I called to complain about the financial aid distribution because according to the Harvard Students thread the money has previously been distributed at a non-predictable time, sometimes even several days after the first day of class. I'm married and coming straight out of undergrad so my wife and I don't really have the 10k or so in savings that is needed to move to Cambridge, especially since we have to be there on 08/25 for orientation and double-especially if no money was released before that point. So I called finaid and asked what they expected someone in my position to do and that is when they told me the bit about releasing some of the money prior to the first day of class.

If there has been one thing I have really disliked about the process so far it has been that the school just kind of assumes that, even if you are going loans/grants, you have access to whatever amount of cash you need via parents or family or whatever. One of the finaid ladies was pretty incredulous that I was moving in late August; she recommended that I seriously consider moving to Cambridge by 08/01 at the latest because most students will already be there by then. As if serious consideration was the only determinant. She then proceeded to completely fail to understand why it would be problematic for me to receive my student aid after the first day of class (not to mention orientation). Maybe I'll just sleep in my car for a bit or whatever. /rant

Thank jebus they're distributing before classes. I'm a fellow poor, so I feel your pain, though my circumstances aren't as difficult. Good luck, brother

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Pneumonia wrote:If there has been one thing I have really disliked about the process so far it has been that the school just kind of assumes that, even if you are going loans/grants, you have access to whatever amount of cash you need via parents or family or whatever. One of the finaid ladies was pretty incredulous that I was moving in late August; she recommended that I seriously consider moving to Cambridge by 08/01 at the latest because most students will already be there by then. As if serious consideration was the only determinant. She then proceeded to completely fail to understand why it would be problematic for me to receive my student aid after the first day of class (not to mention orientation). Maybe I'll just sleep in my car for a bit or whatever. /rant

Amen to all of that.

If it weren't for Craigslist I would not have the money to move :lol:

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Also, for those of you who are using the Harvard Insurance, do you know when our coverage actually starts? Trying to figure out if I need to wait until after the semester starts to go to the clinic. I'm presuming the Health Fee coverage only kicks in during the semester, but I don't know for sure, or about the actual Insurance.

MyopicVisage

Postby MyopicVisage » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:37 pm

Last edited by MyopicVisage on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:11 pm

MyopicVisage wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Also, for those of you who are using the Harvard Insurance, do you know when our coverage actually starts? Trying to figure out if I need to wait until after the semester starts to go to the clinic. I'm presuming the Health Fee coverage only kicks in during the semester, but I don't know for sure, or about the actual Insurance.

August 1 for the insurance. Not sure about the health fee I suspect it's the same.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

..I now see the big section on the website answering my exact question, I am observant. 8)

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Another fine-print detail that may be of interest to those who work... any accrued vacation-time "payout" check you receive when you leave your job is considered an asset if it exceeds $3,000 and thus reduces your grant eligibility (ALL THREE YEARS). Ugh ugh ugh.

thestatusguo

Postby thestatusguo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi guys :)

This is bittersweet, but I'm checking out of this thread; I got in off the WL at Stanford this past week and will be heading to there instead. HLS is a wonderful place and I know that y'all will be a phenomenal class - I'm definitely a little sad about withdrawing :) Hope to meet more of you IRL one day.

Best of luck!

quijotesca1011

Postby quijotesca1011 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 pm

Hey all,

We do apply for Federal Grad PLUS loans through Harvard's website, right?

I tried clicking through to the application form here (http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... terms.html) but I can't log in. Any idea which of our many log-ins is the right one to access this form? haha

Ed.: figured it out. too many logins/passwords!!!
Last edited by quijotesca1011 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quijotesca1011

Postby quijotesca1011 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 pm

za51 wrote:Does anyone have any info on these research assistant positions for incoming 1Ls? Are they worth it? Or are you just a faceless helper?

I'm doing one and it's been great. PM me if you want more info.

za51

Postby za51 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Last edited by za51 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

gottago

Postby gottago » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:32 pm

dunno what the guy below is me talking about, always quotes me for no reason
Last edited by gottago on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:50 pm

gottago wrote:Did any of you choose HLS over SLS? Care to share why? Not posting in SLS thread because I got the call recently and there couldn't have been that many in the last few days [edit lol wut] so I don't want to be outted

Congrats on SLS!

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:09 pm

gottago wrote:Did any of you choose HLS over SLS? Care to share why? Not posting in SLS thread because I got the call recently and there couldn't have been that many in the last few days [edit lol wut] so I don't want to be outted

PM'ed.

OMAR_COMIN_YO

Postby OMAR_COMIN_YO » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm

New poll? How about "Where will you be living?" divided by dorms/HLS Housing/HUH/neighborhood.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:08 pm

OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:New poll? How about "Where will you be living?" divided by dorms/HLS Housing/HUH/neighborhood.

Updated!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”