Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
8%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
10%
Section 5
26%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
18%

Total votes: 73

HorseThief

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby HorseThief » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:28 pm

Jatt wrote:It's after business hours or I'd just call HLS and find out, but does anyone know what their PIN is? Is that the same thing we use as our password for our HLS email? I'm trying to see some message HLS health services sent me and can't for the life of me figure out how to get in. I know my HUID because they emailed it to us, but I can't remember this PIN or find out how to reset it online. Womp womppp.

Idk either. If this is for the insurance waiver, I decided the best course of action was to just ignore it in the hopes that they'd send out our pins before it's due. This probably isn't the best plan though.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:49 pm

HorseThief wrote:
Jatt wrote:It's after business hours or I'd just call HLS and find out, but does anyone know what their PIN is? Is that the same thing we use as our password for our HLS email? I'm trying to see some message HLS health services sent me and can't for the life of me figure out how to get in. I know my HUID because they emailed it to us, but I can't remember this PIN or find out how to reset it online. Womp womppp.

Idk either. If this is for the insurance waiver, I decided the best course of action was to just ignore it in the hopes that they'd send out our pins before it's due. This probably isn't the best plan though.

My guess is that they just messaged you letting you know that they received your information and you meet their immunization standards (assuming you do).

As for the PIN, you can set it up already. Just go here and select the "Request a New PIN" button.

https://www.pin.harvard.edu/home.shtml

I honestly feel like Harvard's login stuff is a bit too spread out, between HUH/HLS Housing, SFS, PINs, Email, etc. I think the PIN above was pretty much only mentioned in the email in which they sent our your HUID.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:56 am

I think you have to set it up. You should have gotten a PIN e-mail as one of your first e-mails that had your HUID in it. Read through that and it will give you instructions.

sjgonzalez3

Postby sjgonzalez3 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:00 pm

+1 Those logins... Somehow I managed to use a different permutation for each stupid login. So now I have like 4 usernames, 3 passwords, and a PIN. It's ridiculous.

bbkk

Postby bbkk » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:16 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:+1 Those logins... Somehow I managed to use a different permutation for each stupid login. So now I have like 4 usernames, 3 passwords, and a PIN. It's ridiculous.

Yeah totally agree, the login stuff is very annoying. :roll:

btw anybody knows anything about the HLS loans (the one offered by the Credit Union for international students)? I just filled in the application yesterday. Wondering how would they determine the award amount.

ETA: Just devoted my 1000th post to HLS. :D :D

OnaFets

Postby OnaFets » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:20 am

I don't have facebook so I'm not sure if anyone is planning meetups yet but I'm trying to grab drinks this summer with whoever is down. Lets make a list of usernames and so we an get a group and go bar hopping before classes start. Dates you'll move to Cambridge would also be helpful.

Mid-July for me.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Your HUID "PIN" is actually a full-length password. I believe the initial password is sent to your HLS email.

Jatt

Postby Jatt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks y'all. I figured out the PIN by resetting it. Looks like I'm just going to have to reset my PIN every time I need it because I can't keep track of it with all these other damn passwords and logins we need for HLS...

Also, what is everyone else doing for loans? Aside from Stafford and such, for the supplemental loans some of us need, is the common wisdom to just go with the Federal Direct GradPLUS loan? Or are there some private loans which are much better? HLS provides a chart comparing a lot of private student loans, so I'm sure I could go through it and figure it out. But just wondering if someone has already done it and found something better than the federal loan they would suggest.

#67daysuntilorientation

EDIT: With a parent as a cosigner, got a 5.99% fixed interest rate from Discover Student Loans. It's over 1% less than the GradPLUS fixed interest rate of 7.21%, but still not sure if I'll take it. Maybe federal loans are a safer bet?
Last edited by Jatt on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

lastminuteHLS

Postby lastminuteHLS » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Hello! I was recently admitted to HLS and am now doing the glorious scramble to do a whole bunch of paperwork/find housing/figure out when to move/etc.

The "find housing" part if proving unusually stressful. Boston is the first market I've encountered with this ridiculous obsession with rental agents. It seems like every single agent listing on Craigslist has horrific Yelp reviews. I'm not sure if this is par for the course, or if those agents truly are as awful as Yelpers make them out to be.

Can anyone recommend some brokers/agents that they've used? I'm not demanding perfection, it would just be nice to work with someone who's somewhat helpful long-distance and won't completely rip me off. (Yelp has made this seem impossible... I'm hoping it isn't.) I see that there are some fellow waitlist admits in this thread who found their housing quite quickly, and I would love to get my situation figured out too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Optimist Prime

Postby Optimist Prime » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:29 pm

koalacity wrote:This was a really, really, really tough decision, but I'm officially checking out of this thread, as I'm now going to be part of the SLS c/o 2017. I'm really sad that I won't get to be classmates with all of the fabulous people ITT, but I'm hoping to make it out to Boston to visit someday.

Late to the party on this, but congrats, enjoy, and don't you dare post any pictures of what Palo Alto is like in the winter :D

anubis1911

Postby anubis1911 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:32 pm

So once we have finished applying for grad plus loans, is there anything else we need to do to get the money? Should I have relieved some acceptance notification that I will receive the money beyond my application being 'complete'?

OMAR_COMIN_YO

Postby OMAR_COMIN_YO » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:59 am

lastminuteHLS wrote:Hello! I was recently admitted to HLS and am now doing the glorious scramble to do a whole bunch of paperwork/find housing/figure out when to move/etc.

The "find housing" part if proving unusually stressful. Boston is the first market I've encountered with this ridiculous obsession with rental agents. It seems like every single agent listing on Craigslist has horrific Yelp reviews. I'm not sure if this is par for the course, or if those agents truly are as awful as Yelpers make them out to be.

Can anyone recommend some brokers/agents that they've used? I'm not demanding perfection, it would just be nice to work with someone who's somewhat helpful long-distance and won't completely rip me off. (Yelp has made this seem impossible... I'm hoping it isn't.) I see that there are some fellow waitlist admits in this thread who found their housing quite quickly, and I would love to get my situation figured out too.

Hey lastminute,

There's a Facebook group called "Harvard Housing" where people are constantly posting listings in/around Cambridge. I posted my searching profile on there and had a place within a day, no joke:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/454347974604894/

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Student Loans website is down. God damn it. I just want to go $50k in debt and they won't let me.

jasper09

Postby jasper09 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:38 pm

OMAR_COMIN_YO wrote:
lastminuteHLS wrote:Hello! I was recently admitted to HLS and am now doing the glorious scramble to do a whole bunch of paperwork/find housing/figure out when to move/etc.

Hey lastminute,

There's a Facebook group called "Harvard Housing" where people are constantly posting listings in/around Cambridge. I posted my searching profile on there and had a place within a day, no joke:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/454347974604894/

Also, http://www3.law.harvard.edu/dos/hlslist/ and http://huhousing.offcampuslisting.com/roommate/ were useful when I was looking- found my roommate and place via the former, though the latter isn't necessarily useful if you're looking to live on your own.

Arrow4Christ

Postby Arrow4Christ » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:11 pm

This is something I'd like to know as well. Tough decisions...

Jatt wrote:Thanks y'all. I figured out the PIN by resetting it. Looks like I'm just going to have to reset my PIN every time I need it because I can't keep track of it with all these other damn passwords and logins we need for HLS...

Also, what is everyone else doing for loans? Aside from Stafford and such, for the supplemental loans some of us need, is the common wisdom to just go with the Federal Direct GradPLUS loan? Or are there some private loans which are much better? HLS provides a chart comparing a lot of private student loans, so I'm sure I could go through it and figure it out. But just wondering if someone has already done it and found something better than the federal loan they would suggest.

#67daysuntilorientation

EDIT: With a parent as a cosigner, got a 5.99% fixed interest rate from Discover Student Loans. It's over 1% less than the GradPLUS fixed interest rate of 7.21%, but still not sure if I'll take it. Maybe federal loans are a safer bet?

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:This is something I'd like to know as well. Tough decisions...

Jatt wrote:Thanks y'all. I figured out the PIN by resetting it. Looks like I'm just going to have to reset my PIN every time I need it because I can't keep track of it with all these other damn passwords and logins we need for HLS...

#67daysuntilorientation

I felt better about going with GradPLUS. I don't know all the details of the private loans, but between the various income-based repayment plans and the ability to (hopefully) refinance to a lower rate after graduation via something like SoFi I thought it was a very reasonable choice to go government. Then again maybe I was swayed by a false notion of security lent by the "government" name.

love4life29

Postby love4life29 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:45 am

When do we register for classes?

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:29 am

love4life29 wrote:When do we register for classes?

Not until November :(. I don't think we get to choose anything until Spring Semester, when we get to pick out an International Law course and an elective.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:32 am

HorseThief wrote:

Not until November :(. I don't think we get to choose anything until Spring Semester, when we get to pick out an International Law course and an elective.

I think we get to pick a reading group for 1st semester sometime in August/September though!

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:38 am

politics89 wrote:
HorseThief wrote:

I think we get to pick a reading group for 1st semester sometime in August/September though!

Yes, though it's only optional.

Here's the official rundown on 1L classes.

sjgonzalez3

Postby sjgonzalez3 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:58 pm

TO THOSE THINKING ABOUT WAIVING HARVARD HEALTH INSURANCE:

If you are also a grant recipient, waiving their health insurance will result in a 1:1 reduction in your grant award. So keep this consideration in mind if you were thinking about shopping around in the private market or going with Obamacare.

This hosed me today...

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:52 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:TO THOSE THINKING ABOUT WAIVING HARVARD HEALTH INSURANCE:

If you are also a grant recipient, waiving their health insurance will result in a 1:1 reduction in your grant award. So keep this consideration in mind if you were thinking about shopping around in the private market or going with Obamacare.

This hosed me today...

Thanks for the heads up. That's freaking ridiculous on H's part :/

politics89

Postby politics89 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:08 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:

This hosed me today...

Wait I'm confused. I waived mine and my grant didn't change?

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:28 am

politics89 wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:

This hosed me today...

I think they make the adjustment later in the summer, once all the waivers have been finalized.

sjgonzalez3

Postby sjgonzalez3 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:49 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
politics89 wrote:

I think they make the adjustment later in the summer, once all the waivers have been finalized.

It depends on what you put on your initial SFS application. If you already knew you were waiving, and said so in the application, then they simply didn't include it in the Student Budget (and associated grant)--which is complete shit. Apparently waiving means you don't need a line item for health insurance anymore...

I wasn't sure at the time, so I said I would not waive it, but ended up doing so. Once I did this (or perhaps it was sent to everybody), an email was generated by SFS saying that I needed to send in an amended application for aid so that they could properly reduce my grant by $2,300 (appx).

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”