Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
6
8%
Section 2
12
16%
Section 3
8
11%
Section 4
7
10%
Section 5
19
26%
Section 6
8
11%
Section 7
13
18%
 
Total votes: 73

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:52 pm

politics89 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Anyone know what orientation actually consists of? I've never been to a school orientation. I'm guessing there's not actually four days of "So here's the library..", right?


I can't find the link now, but 2013 had a schedule up that I looked at and there were volunteering opportunities and section bonding meals and things like that.


I asked two students about this as ASW, the more cynical of the two described it as icebreaker group activity hell. The other one said it was just a more involved ASW. Neither mentioned many of the specifics.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:58 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Anyone know what orientation actually consists of? I've never been to a school orientation. I'm guessing there's not actually four days of "So here's the library..", right?


Trying to think back 3 years, it wasn't really anything major. We had a campus tour where they walked us around campus and showed us the various buildings. We met our section and had a mock class lead by our section leader. We had a section lunch, and I think we also had a lunch or dinner with our LRW group (though this might've been when classes started). Dean Minow gives a welcome to HLS speech too.

The main orientation was like 1 day and then there were just more discrete activities for a couple more days.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:59 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
politics89 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Anyone know what orientation actually consists of? I've never been to a school orientation. I'm guessing there's not actually four days of "So here's the library..", right?


I can't find the link now, but 2013 had a schedule up that I looked at and there were volunteering opportunities and section bonding meals and things like that.


I asked two students about this as ASW, the more cynical of the two described it as icebreaker group activity hell. The other one said it was just a more involved ASW. Neither mentioned many of the specifics.


Definitely more of the latter. It's just a more involved ASW, unless things have changed significantly.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:02 pm

ph14 wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
politics89 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Anyone know what orientation actually consists of? I've never been to a school orientation. I'm guessing there's not actually four days of "So here's the library..", right?


I can't find the link now, but 2013 had a schedule up that I looked at and there were volunteering opportunities and section bonding meals and things like that.


I asked two students about this as ASW, the more cynical of the two described it as icebreaker group activity hell. The other one said it was just a more involved ASW. Neither mentioned many of the specifics.


Definitely more of the latter. It's just a more involved ASW, unless things have changed significantly.


That is what I figured, the first student seemed a little grouchy that day. :lol:

06162014123
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:40 pm

.

Postby 06162014123 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:09 pm

.
Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ben Reilly
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Ben Reilly » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:31 pm

politics89 wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:Dumb question but are we supposed to receive some sort of confirmation if we submit the enrollment form online or do we just assume that all is well?


I got one the afternoon after I submitted, to my HLS email.


EvMont wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:Dumb question but are we supposed to receive some sort of confirmation if we submit the enrollment form online or do we just assume that all is well?


If you long back into the status checker it should be upated to indicate you confirmed.


Thanks!

User avatar
Fianna13
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Fianna13 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:37 am

I sent in my enrollment form on Sunday, and I'm quite worried after the silence today. Should I email 1L2B tomorrow just to make sure it's been received? :/ The deadline is like 3 days away....

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby wtrc » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:57 am

Fianna13 wrote:I sent in my enrollment form on Sunday, and I'm quite worried after the silence today. Should I email 1L2B tomorrow just to make sure it's been received? :/ The deadline is like 3 days away....


Same deal, and I sent mine in late last week. I really wouldn't worry at all.

EvMont
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby EvMont » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:07 am

Fianna13 wrote:I sent in my enrollment form on Sunday, and I'm quite worried after the silence today. Should I email 1L2B tomorrow just to make sure it's been received? :/ The deadline is like 3 days away....


Did you mail it or submit the online form?

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby wealtheow » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:09 am

I submitted my ONLINE enrollment form yesterday and my status still hasn't updated, nor have a received a confirmation email... someone tell me it's fine and to chill out.

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:13 am

wealtheow wrote:I submitted my ONLINE enrollment form yesterday and my status still hasn't updated, nor have a received a confirmation email... someone tell me it's fine and to chill out.


They're probably just getting a ton of them back all at once. I'm sure it's fine.

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby wealtheow » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:18 am

politics89 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:I submitted my ONLINE enrollment form yesterday and my status still hasn't updated, nor have a received a confirmation email... someone tell me it's fine and to chill out.


They're probably just getting a ton of them back all at once. I'm sure it's fine.


:D ty

eta: it just updated! SO EXCITING

User avatar
Arrow4Christ
Posts: 418
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Arrow4Christ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:38 am

Got my confirmation this morning! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:42 am

wealtheow wrote:
politics89 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:I submitted my ONLINE enrollment form yesterday and my status still hasn't updated, nor have a received a confirmation email... someone tell me it's fine and to chill out.


They're probably just getting a ton of them back all at once. I'm sure it's fine.


:D ty

eta: it just updated! SO EXCITING


YAY!!! I would have felt bad if I told you it was fine and it wasn't

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby wealtheow » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:21 pm

just got my book, too! BEST DAY EVERRRRRRRR

eta: i got scorpions: the battles and triumphs of fdr's great supreme court justices, by professor feldman :} sounds scandy

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:58 pm

wealtheow wrote:scandy


I had never heard this term before, love it. :lol:

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby wealtheow » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
wealtheow wrote:scandy


I had never heard this term before, love it. :lol:


right?! :lol: one of my faves

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby ph14 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:36 pm

I just wanted to direct your guys attention to the Harvard Students Answering Questions Thread. Feel free to ask any questions you might have in there.

I also wanted to offer myself as a resource if any of you guys ever need it. Don't hesitate to shoot me a pm (and i'm sure a lot of the other HLS students in that thread feel the same).

EvMont
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby EvMont » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:53 pm

ph14 wrote:I just wanted to direct your guys attention to the Harvard Students Answering Questions Thread. Feel free to ask any questions you might have in there.

I also wanted to offer myself as a resource if any of you guys ever need it. Don't hesitate to shoot me a pm (and i'm sure a lot of the other HLS students in that thread feel the same).


Thanks, ph14!

User avatar
charlie.black
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby charlie.black » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:16 pm

EvMont wrote:
ph14 wrote:I just wanted to direct your guys attention to the Harvard Students Answering Questions Thread. Feel free to ask any questions you might have in there.

I also wanted to offer myself as a resource if any of you guys ever need it. Don't hesitate to shoot me a pm (and i'm sure a lot of the other HLS students in that thread feel the same).


Thanks, ph14!

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi - I just got my HLS finaid award and want to submit it to another school for negotiation. Does anyone know if there is a prettier version of the award than the version just on the "My HLS Financial Aid" site (like a PDF letter or something)? Thanks everyone!

quijotesca1011
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:50 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby quijotesca1011 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:23 pm

Quick question for those who have applied to HLS housing …

On the last page, it says that, "If you have gone to the Room Selection Process page and selected "Save and Continue" then your housing application is complete at this time."

But underneath, my status still says, 'incomplete'… did anyone's status change to complete, or will that remain incomplete until we've gone through the lottery/picked a room/etc.

Thanks!

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:07 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:Hi - I just got my HLS finaid award and want to submit it to another school for negotiation. Does anyone know if there is a prettier version of the award than the version just on the "My HLS Financial Aid" site (like a PDF letter or something)? Thanks everyone!


You can request a reward letter (PDF) via email, or least I did and was given one. HTH

User avatar
Fianna13
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Fianna13 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:23 pm

Just got my confirmation email this morning! PHEW

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby HorseThief » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:32 pm

quijotesca1011 wrote:Quick question for those who have applied to HLS housing …

On the last page, it says that, "If you have gone to the Room Selection Process page and selected "Save and Continue" then your housing application is complete at this time."

But underneath, my status still says, 'incomplete'… did anyone's status change to complete, or will that remain incomplete until we've gone through the lottery/picked a room/etc.

Thanks!


Have you submitted your proof of admission?




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest