Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
8%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
10%
Section 5
26%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
18%

Total votes: 73

wealtheow

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby wealtheow » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am

glad i'm not the only one thinking about this. i would assume it's totally fine - one cannot be penalized for paying federal student loans back early. the origination fees are unfortunately going to awful. but my concern is that harvard would "notice" and be all "oh, you didn't need this? you're not needy, reducing your grant!" but that sounds kind of unrealistic/big brotherish

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:28 am

wealtheow wrote:glad i'm not the only one thinking about this. i would assume it's totally fine - one cannot be penalized for paying federal student loans back early. the origination fees are unfortunately going to awful. but my concern is that harvard would "notice" and be all "oh, you didn't need this? you're not needy, reducing your grant!" but that sounds kind of unrealistic/big brotherish

Hmm...According to the loan terms website, origination fees shouldn't really be an issue if you're only taking out the base loan each year.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/myaid/education-loans/overview/loanterms.html

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:29 am

wealtheow wrote:glad i'm not the only one thinking about this. i would assume it's totally fine - one cannot be penalized for paying federal student loans back early. the origination fees are unfortunately going to awful. but my concern is that harvard would "notice" and be all "oh, you didn't need this? you're not needy, reducing your grant!" but that sounds kind of unrealistic/big brotherish

I've actually had the same exact thought. I was feeling hesitant in paying back some of these on the off chance that my grant got reduced 2L. Do they look at your total current debt load when you do the needbased forms 2L? I.e. What if you managed to save up 10k during 1L and paid it towards your base loans?

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:28 pm

EvMont wrote:

Hmm...According to the loan terms website, origination fees shouldn't really be an issue if you're only taking out the base loan each year.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/myaid/education-loans/overview/loanterms.html

oh, that's more palatable. i was just operating under the assumption that the amount that is not in the form of a stafford loan is a federal PLUS loan. thankfully that looks like it may not be the case :)

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:22 pm

freaking out about the debt. someone hit me up with some pro HLS propaganda. go.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Pneumonia wrote:freaking out about the debt. someone hit me up with some pro HLS propaganda. go.

Most students get funding to go to programs abroad. Want to hit up Ecuador for a few weeks during the summer? You won't have to pay a cent.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:34 pm

HorseThief wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:freaking out about the debt. someone hit me up with some pro HLS propaganda. go.

Most students get funding to go to programs abroad. Want to hit up Ecuador for a few weeks during the summer? You won't have to pay a cent.

Need deets on this :D . I thought they just increased your budget, meaning more loans essentially.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
HorseThief wrote:

Need deets on this :D . I thought they just increased your budget, meaning more loans essentially.

Hmm, that's not what I heard. I think they have special scholarships which will cover travel.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:47 pm

HorseThief wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
HorseThief wrote:

Hmm, that's not what I heard. I think they have special scholarships which will cover travel.

You are probably right, I haven't done a ton of research into it outside of the study abroad page which doesn't seem to cover summer trips.

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:52 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
HorseThief wrote:

I think you were right about basically just gettng a loan increase.

Living and studying abroad can be expensive and the student should plan and budget accordingly. To help defray these costs, the student will receive a budget increase of $1,500 as part of his/her HLS financial aid package.

But there are always sources of funding left to be unearthed....

HLS J.D. and LL.M. students who will be traveling abroad in furtherance of an approved Winter Term Clinical or Research / Writing project may apply for a Winter Term International Travel Grant. Funding will be awarded in amounts expected to range from $800 to $2,000 per qualifying student, depending on the strength of a student’s proposal and the financial requirements of the project, as demonstrated in a reasonable and well-constructed budget.

delilah88

Postby delilah88 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:25 pm

wealtheow wrote:does anyone know the deal with this base loan? i know we HAVE to take it to get our grant, but if we don't end up needing all of it, can we make payments toward the loan w/ the excess?

I specifically asked the SFS office about this at ASW. The guy I talked to said that we can start making payments to the loan company whenever we want and that it won't affect the financial aid package. I assume he wasn't lying to me.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:56 pm

delilah88 wrote:
wealtheow wrote:does anyone know the deal with this base loan? i know we HAVE to take it to get our grant, but if we don't end up needing all of it, can we make payments toward the loan w/ the excess?

I specifically asked the SFS office about this at ASW. The guy I talked to said that we can start making payments to the loan company whenever we want and that it won't affect the financial aid package. I assume he wasn't lying to me.

Well, guess we can cut down on our food budget:
http://www.hlsdope.org

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:05 pm

delilah88 wrote:

I figured this was the case, but good to hear it from the Harvard's mouth.

Iuso

Postby Iuso » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Yikes. I just sent in my intent to enroll! ...

... This is still sinking in...

Can't wait to meet you all! :)

hop

Postby hop » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:09 pm

I'm coming, too!

Today the Harvard Gazette ran an interview with Dean Minow about her life and work, very interesting.
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2 ... injustice/

kershka

Postby kershka » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Just sent in my intent to enroll as well! Now to go harass my UG into sending all their records :P

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 am

kershka wrote:Just sent in my intent to enroll as well! Now to go harass my UG into sending all their records :P

Yeah one of my two UGs is going to be hell on Earth about this.

juicebox

Postby juicebox » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:57 am

paglababa wrote:
Well, guess we can cut down on our food budget:
http://www.hlsdope.org

This is awesome

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
kershka wrote:Just sent in my intent to enroll as well! Now to go harass my UG into sending all their records :P

Yeah one of my two UGs is going to be hell on Earth about this.

This is how I feel about all the health forms.

neprep

Postby neprep » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

Ugh, Harvard. If you could just send HLS snuggies to all of us like Yale does maybe you wouldn't be such a TTT in decline.

August Wilson

Postby August Wilson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:29 am

Sent in my deferral request yesterday. See y'all next year!

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:17 pm

i revealed my harvard email to friends. i guess this means i made up my mind. :mrgreen:

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:22 pm

September 2, 2014 - 1L Fall Term Classes Begin
Anyone know if there is mandatory orientation and if so when that begins? Trying to figure out my summer travel plans and when to quit work :D

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:23 pm

I asked earlier in this thread if anyone had suggestions for history of Harvard/HLS reading; today I found this: http://www.law.harvard.edu/library/spec ... story.html

Not sure if anyone else cares about this stuff, but I think it's interesting. Some of the books can be had for cheap on Amazon.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:28 pm

paglababa wrote:September 2, 2014 - 1L Fall Term Classes Begin
Anyone know if there is mandatory orientation and if so when that begins? Trying to figure out my summer travel plans and when to quit work :D

Orientation: Tuesday, August 26th – Friday, August 29th. Pretty sure it's mandatory.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”