Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
8%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
10%
Section 5
26%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
18%

Total votes: 73

wealtheow

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby wealtheow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:19 am

just got my homework for asw yesssssss :-P

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:26 am

wealtheow wrote:just got my homework for asw yesssssss :-P

haha so did I. See you there :wink:

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:40 am

Reading about Brown v. Board. Looking forward to being a (non)gunner at ASW.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:52 am

yomisterd wrote:Reading about Brown v. Board. Looking forward to being a (non)gunner at ASW.

Btw - there was zero class interaction in this mock class. No real opportunity to gun even if you wanted to

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:58 am

I met with an '05 grad this weekend and he literally did not believe me when I told him tuition was 55,000. He tried to convince me that I was talking about COA and that tuition was only a part of that. When I told him COA was 82,000 his jaw hit the floor.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:04 pm

HorseThief wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
politics89 wrote:I really want to end up at H in the fall, but debt is making me question what to do. I was wondering how much you all thought HLS was worth over other schools (like CCN, other top 14s), 10k? 50k? 100k? 200k? Obviously this is pretty subjective.

I asked the schools that gave me big $ to connect me with people that chose to go there over H, and they delivered in a big way. It absolutely changed my line of thinking on this decision.

What sorts of things did those students say?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. The students I have spoken with at Penn, NYU and Chi who took the money over H/S all seemed to genuinely have thought that they made the correct decision. Those at H all said that they would make the same decision if given it again. Full disclosure - the debt is a huge consideration for me. I have done all of the calculations, and even with an aggressive loan repayment schedule, I'm looking at breaking even maybe 9 years from now if I take H.

The reasons that the Penn/Chi kids gave were pretty substantial but mostly money-focused: lack of debt pressure making 1L a bit less stressful, named scholarships being a distinguishing factor during OCI, freedom upon graduation to not feel like you had to go to a firm right away and stay there for 10 years, etc.

The reasons coming from H were a bit less tangible: the Harvard brand will take you anywhere, having H on a resume will open so many doors for you, our professors are celebrities in their fields. Now, there are certainly some compelling reasons to go to Harvard (institutional resources, movers and shakers, etc.), and turning them down seems so tough. For me personally, taking the money seems to be the correct choice, but it is obviously a very personal choice.

Hope this was helpful...feel free to pm me if you want to discuss more specifically.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:32 pm

I got Wardlaw v. Peck. The initial summary of the case seems...interesting. Image

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:56 pm

PotenC wrote:I got Wardlaw v. Peck. The initial summary of the case seems...interesting.

same

sjgonzalez3

Postby sjgonzalez3 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:02 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
politics89 wrote:I really want to end up at H in the fall, but debt is making me question what to do. I was wondering how much you all thought HLS was worth over other schools (like CCN, other top 14s), 10k? 50k? 100k? 200k? Obviously this is pretty subjective.

I asked the schools that gave me big $ to connect me with people that chose to go there over H, and they delivered in a big way. It absolutely changed my line of thinking on this decision.

What sorts of things did those students say?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. The students I have spoken with at Penn, NYU and Chi who took the money over H/S all seemed to genuinely have thought that they made the correct decision. Those at H all said that they would make the same decision if given it again. Full disclosure - the debt is a huge consideration for me. I have done all of the calculations, and even with an aggressive loan repayment schedule, I'm looking at breaking even maybe 9 years from now if I take H.

The reasons that the Penn/Chi kids gave were pretty substantial but mostly money-focused: lack of debt pressure making 1L a bit less stressful, named scholarships being a distinguishing factor during OCI, freedom upon graduation to not feel like you had to go to a firm right away and stay there for 10 years, etc.

The reasons coming from H were a bit less tangible: the Harvard brand will take you anywhere, having H on a resume will open so many doors for you, our professors are celebrities in their fields. Now, there are certainly some compelling reasons to go to Harvard (institutional resources, movers and shakers, etc.), and turning them down seems so tough. For me personally, taking the money seems to be the correct choice, but it is obviously a very personal choice.

Hope this was helpful...feel free to pm me if you want to discuss more specifically.

Regarding the bolded text: I thought the collective wisdom was that named schollys have no distinguishable affect to them during OCI/employment in general.

I feel like any reduction of stress during 1L from less debt would be offset by the increased need to perform in top ~15% of class for similar outcomes that could be garnered at median of HLS. This was another big factor in my decision for HLS, the relieved pressure to perform at the top will probably help me do better in the end anyway (by and through a more well-rounded resume).

Obviously this is 0L talk, but we're all in this same decision together :D

On a side note: got my award letter from HLS today, and although I convinced myself that I would do it without any money, it does make things significantly easier for me (nowhere near what NYU/Duke is offering, but at least close enough to absolve the possible regret).

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:17 pm

I mean, I only have what people with the Levy/Jacobson told me, but they all said they were asked about the scholarship program in OCI. I don't see how it could not distinguish you on your resume honestly.

Also for me, the crushing debt that is $150k+ would create way more pressure on me. I also don't think that being above median at H is exactly a piece of cake

jaesonko

Postby jaesonko » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:33 pm

I am sincerely concerned about the psychological effects of relative poverty I'd face if I go to Harvard. I imagine the sort of people that choose H over a big scholarship elsewhere are disproportionately wealthy and looking at the average debt figures out of Harvard blows my mind. Being the broke kid in a group of wealthy friends absolutely sucks.

Maybe I'm just being silly.

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:36 pm

jaesonko wrote:I am sincerely concerned about the psychological effects of relative poverty I'd face if I go to Harvard. I imagine the sort of people that choose H over a big scholarship elsewhere are disproportionately wealthy and looking at the average debt figures out of Harvard blows my mind. Being the broke kid in a group of wealthy friends absolutely sucks.

This was a slight concern for me as well when SFS told me average indebtedness is $140k. Mine would certainly be higher than that even with a sizable grant, so I'm assuming that family money plays a big role. Then again, I think it's probably the same everywhere...it's just that if you take the money, you don't have to be quite as destitute for the next 3 years.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Anyone else have substantial undergrad debt that they are taking into account in this decision too? Feel free to PM. That's a consideration I don't see brought up a whole lot.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:54 pm

politics89 wrote:Anyone else have substantial undergrad debt that they are taking into account in this decision too? Feel free to PM. That's a consideration I don't see brought up a whole lot.

There is choosing thread from last cycle that was between H and a T20 full ride +stipend, but the poster already had 100k+ in UG debt. I think the poll is split to this day.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:57 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
politics89 wrote:Anyone else have substantial undergrad debt that they are taking into account in this decision too? Feel free to PM. That's a consideration I don't see brought up a whole lot.

There is choosing thread from last cycle that was between H and a T20 full ride +stipend, but the poster already had 100k+ in UG debt. I think the poll is split to this day.

Interesting. Funny that consensus was so split. Appreciate the info.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:08 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=210021

here is the thread

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:24 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
jaesonko wrote:I am sincerely concerned about the psychological effects of relative poverty I'd face if I go to Harvard. I imagine the sort of people that choose H over a big scholarship elsewhere are disproportionately wealthy and looking at the average debt figures out of Harvard blows my mind. Being the broke kid in a group of wealthy friends absolutely sucks.

This was a slight concern for me as well when SFS told me average indebtedness is $140k. Mine would certainly be higher than that even with a sizable grant, so I'm assuming that family money plays a big role. Then again, I think it's probably the same everywhere...it's just that if you take the money, you don't have to be quite as destitute for the next 3 years.

Although I haven't gotten anything from SFS yet, I'm thinking that my debt will be $200k+. When I run the numbers, though, I don't think I'll be broke while at school if my only income is from loans. I may not be able to go to as many restaurants and concerts as I do now, but I'll be busy enough with school stuff that I don't think I'll notice. Also, I remember seeing somewhere in the "Ask a HLS Student" thread that the loan-only budget is enough to allow you to eat at a sandwich shop for lunch during the week, something that you probably wouldn't have to do because of all the free lunch talks.

TLDR; you won't be the only poor person, and you wont be that poor anyway.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:15 pm

Are the ASW homeworks/readings coming via the HLS email? Just checking in because I have received nada, lol.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:38 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Are the ASW homeworks/readings coming via the HLS email? Just checking in because I have received nada, lol.

It's in the ASW welcome email bro. Image

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:41 pm

PotenC wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Are the ASW homeworks/readings coming via the HLS email? Just checking in because I have received nada, lol.

It's in the ASW welcome email bro. Image

Which I also didn't get, lol. Thanks for letting me know!

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:43 pm

Did you register for ASW? Image

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:45 pm

Yep, back in mid March, still have the registration confirmation email in my inbox. I'll give them a call.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:07 pm

is it pretty much 10 days on the dot for Financial aid or can it be earlier/later? My 10 days is early next week, but I'd really really love to hear before ASW.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:08 pm

Pneumonia wrote:is it pretty much 10 days on the dot for Financial aid or can it be earlier/later? My 10 days is early next week, but I'd really really love to hear before ASW.

Mine came after 8 from the email.

Postby 06162014123 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:17 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”