Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
8%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
10%
Section 5
26%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
18%

Total votes: 73

HorseThief

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby HorseThief » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:05 am

cway wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
cway wrote:Wait. Sorry if this has been discussed before, but you can't use Apple products for financial aid forms!!?? What decade is this? :shock: :shock: :shock:

SFS told me to try my local library. Lol.

I didn't have any problems. Did you try using a different browser?

I'm going to try to do it on my MacBook, but as you go through the process there are several warnings about not to use Apple computers or a wireless internet connection for the process...

SFS said I could try with my computer but it might not work because their site isn't built to be compatible. So strange.

Oh yeah, I ignored all of that. Had no problems.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:37 am

HorseThief wrote:
cway wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
cway wrote:Wait. Sorry if this has been discussed before, but you can't use Apple products for financial aid forms!!?? What decade is this? :shock: :shock: :shock:

SFS told me to try my local library. Lol.

I didn't have any problems. Did you try using a different browser?

I'm going to try to do it on my MacBook, but as you go through the process there are several warnings about not to use Apple computers or a wireless internet connection for the process...

SFS said I could try with my computer but it might not work because their site isn't built to be compatible. So strange.

Oh yeah, I ignored all of that. Had no problems.

Same

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:55 am

As a member of the 40%, I'm trying to decide if my ego is worth $200k+

I'm not sure that H necessarily guarantees any career advantages over P for me, but it is proving very difficult to let go of that Harvard dream that I (like probably all of you) have had for quite some time.

I don't think I have ever been more conflicted about something.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 pm

lastsamurai wrote:As a member of the 40%, I'm trying to decide if my ego is worth $200k+

I'm not sure that H necessarily guarantees any career advantages over P for me, but it is proving very difficult to let go of that Harvard dream that I (like probably all of you) have had for quite some time.

It is a tough decision to be sure but, "just follow your heart, that's what I always do."

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 pm

lastsamurai wrote:As a member of the 40%, I'm trying to decide if my ego is worth $200k+

Lucky bastard, getting into Princeton Law (?)

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:08 pm

HorseThief wrote:

Lucky bastard, getting into Princeton Law (?)

little place called Penn...ever heard of it?

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:17 pm

Ha, crap. I always think of them as UP. My bad.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:48 pm

(Business) Day 10 waiting for that preliminary financial aid award. I didn't think I would be so anxious about hearing back about this.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:04 pm

Is it 10 days after you've submitted everything or 10 days after everything is marked "complete?"

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:31 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Is it 10 days after you've submitted everything or 10 days after everything is marked "complete?"

When I asked them, I was told it was 10 business days starting the next business day after you receive the "complete and submitted for review" email. I imagine that is them being conservative, but that is what I was told, HTH.

baloneydanza

Postby baloneydanza » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 pm

I really want to go to Harvard, and while I didn't get any full-tuition scholarships at other schools I did get some decent ones. H is best for my goals but the other two schools I'm looking at aren't awful, and ~$300k + the absurd interest is a lot of fucking money that I (as someone who's never been in debt) can't conceive. I have no idea how it will affect my life post graduation. What if I want to start a family or buy a house? I can't tell if the TLS horror stories are the norm or the grumblings of a noisy minority (I suspect a little bit of both)

I'm eagerly awaiting to hear back from SFS to see if I can afford going to H. The government makes $168 billion from student loans and the schools have no incentive to stop raising prices. It's ridiculous.

Sometimes I wish I was never admitted because it would make my decision a lot easier.

flyingboy

Postby flyingboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Finally got my book today. "Pay Without Performance: the Unfulfilled Promise of Executive Compensation" by Lucian Bebchuk and Jesse Fried. JS's note is from Feb. 5 but the postmark is March 27, so don't despair if you haven't gotten one!

neprep

Postby neprep » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:46 pm

Popping in to say that I finally received my book, but more importantly, it was from the one and only.

I have no idea what in my application led them to send me something from Feldman, but honestly I don't really care. His handwriting in absolutely ineligible, but again, I don't really care. Seriously: what's meant to be is meant to be.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:48 pm

neprep wrote:Popping in to say that I finally received my book, but more importantly, it was from the one and only.

I have no idea what in my application led them to send me something from Feldman, but honestly I don't really care. His handwriting in absolutely ineligible, but again, I don't really care. Seriously: what's meant to be is meant to be.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Are you sure it wasn't something from your post history, rather than your application, that led them to make this decision? We know JS is a master of matching TLS users with applicants...

neprep

Postby neprep » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:51 pm

koalacity wrote:
neprep wrote:Popping in to say that I finally received my book, but more importantly, it was from the one and only.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Are you sure it wasn't something from your post history, rather than your application, that led them to make this decision? We know JS is a master of matching TLS users with applicants...

:shock: EGAD! No wonder my last email from them starts with "Dear Nep."

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Is it 10 days after you've submitted everything or 10 days after everything is marked "complete?"

When I asked them, I was told it was 10 business days starting the next business day after you receive the "complete and submitted for review" email. I imagine that is them being conservative, but that is what I was told, HTH.

Hmmm, then that would be tomorrow. I can wait. Ever since i got that email telling me I was under review I have been anxious to hear back.

sjgonzalez3

Postby sjgonzalez3 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:44 pm

baloneydanza wrote:

I really want to go to Harvard, and while I didn't get any full-tuition scholarships at other schools I did get some decent ones. H is best for my goals but the other two schools I'm looking at aren't awful, and ~$300k + the absurd interest is a lot of fucking money that I (as someone who's never been in debt) can't conceive. I have no idea how it will affect my life post graduation. What if I want to start a family or buy a house? I can't tell if the TLS horror stories are the norm or the grumblings of a noisy minority (I suspect a little bit of both)

I'm eagerly awaiting to hear back from SFS to see if I can afford going to H. The government makes $168 billion from student loans and the schools have no incentive to stop raising prices. It's ridiculous.

Sometimes I wish I was never admitted because it would make my decision a lot easier.

I'm doing it for the peers/alumni. Although it's a seemingly fine line between schools like BVP, CCN, and HYS, I think that you will just find a higher density of brilliant and motivated people at HYS. This is very important for me, because I always end up more motivated to succeed when I surround myself with these people.

That, and the future network of movers and shakers doesn't hurt. You never know who's going to call/recommend you for a board position at corporation, or whatever your aspirations may be. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose (except $200k :wink: )

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:03 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:
I'm doing it for the peers/alumni. Although it's a seemingly fine line between schools like BVP, CCN, and HYS, I think that you will just find a higher density of brilliant and motivated people at HYS. This is very important for me, because I always end up more motivated to succeed when I surround myself with these people.

That, and the future network of movers and shakers doesn't hurt. You never know who's going to call/recommend you for a board position at corporation, or whatever your aspirations may be. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose (except $200k :wink: )

That's my issue - I fully agree with that sentiment. But I wasn't convinced that the students at H were any more motivated than those at Penn or NYU or Duke for that matter, and I think it's hard to say that they are unless you saw something I didn't?

I'm absolutely not trying to hate on Harvard as there is a large chance that I will end up there. I just want to make sure that I'm thinking this all the way through.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:13 pm

The-Specs wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

Hmmm, then that would be tomorrow. I can wait. Ever since i got that email telling me I was under review I have been anxious to hear back.

I can definitely relate, I should be hearing back soon as well, assuming there isn't an unanswered email sitting in my parents' inbox somewhere.

sjgonzalez3

Postby sjgonzalez3 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:11 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
That's my issue - I fully agree with that sentiment. But I wasn't convinced that the students at H were any more motivated than those at Penn or NYU or Duke for that matter, and I think it's hard to say that they are unless you saw something I didn't?

I'm absolutely not trying to hate on Harvard as there is a large chance that I will end up there. I just want to make sure that I'm thinking this all the way through.

Yeah... I should definitely clarify that I'm basing my assumption on correlative empirical evidence, and not even strong anecdotal evidence.

Basically, I'm just looking at job outcomes (would be strained to call this causation as mentioned above), and the anecdotal tendency for people with higher admissions numbers to be more intellectually rigorous.

Although I understand that this is a gross generalization, I just can't help but think that with a large enough sample size (~550 students) it won't yield at least a greater proportion of these people than UPenn.

Could be flat out wrong, who knows.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:02 pm

Just submitted the last form needed for financial aid. What should I expect time-wise going forward? Was anyone asked to submit "additional" documentation?

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:26 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Just submitted the last form needed for financial aid. What should I expect time-wise going forward? Was anyone asked to submit "additional" documentation?

Yes. I was asked to submit about 4 of them, it took about a week. Granted my dad and I know nothing about taxes so we submitted the wrong thing a couple of times but it was quite the hassle. Here's to hoping it is much more simple of your. :)

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:09 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Just submitted the last form needed for financial aid. What should I expect time-wise going forward? Was anyone asked to submit "additional" documentation?

Yep, I was. In total (initial list + additional) I ended up having to submit nearly 30 items, fun times. :lol:

bbkk

Postby bbkk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:31 pm

flyingboy wrote:Finally got my book today. "Pay Without Performance: the Unfulfilled Promise of Executive Compensation" by Lucian Bebchuk and Jesse Fried. JS's note is from Feb. 5 but the postmark is March 27, so don't despair if you haven't gotten one!

Got the same book in mail today! :D :D

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:32 pm

bbkk wrote:
flyingboy wrote:Finally got my book today. "Pay Without Performance: the Unfulfilled Promise of Executive Compensation" by Lucian Bebchuk and Jesse Fried. JS's note is from Feb. 5 but the postmark is March 27, so don't despair if you haven't gotten one!

Got the same book in mail today! :D :D

I got this one too, on Saturday. Suspicious hippo.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”