Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
6
8%
Section 2
12
16%
Section 3
8
11%
Section 4
7
10%
Section 5
19
26%
Section 6
8
11%
Section 7
13
18%
 
Total votes: 73

User avatar
CyanIdes Of March
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before but how long does it normally take for them to get back to you with a finaid package after having gone into review?

gottago
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby gottago » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:30 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

hdunlop
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby hdunlop » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:45 pm

They say "usually" ten; they're a bit behind for me at least.

gottago
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby gottago » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:16 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

gottago
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby gottago » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:16 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby malleus discentium » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:38 pm

gottago wrote:also were you March ASW goers surprised to hear so many professors say that they were on the admissions committee and read our apps?

I don't know if that means they do something similar to YLS but I can't imagine that they'd be worried about whether HLS has a 173 or a 172. Everyone at ASW I spoke to had great softs it seemed. TFA was common, a few worked in DA's offices, etc.

I, for one, would really like to know the nitty gritty of the admissions process at HLS, like we know for YLS. I didn't expect many, if any, professors to read files so yeah I was surprised too.

armysgt
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby armysgt » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:56 am

Does anyone here have experience with negotiating with the fin aid office?

YLS is offering around $7K more and I also have a Hamilton from CLS, which is hard to ignore. I'll def mention the YLS aid to them since the HLS package email says, "if another law school has made a substantially different assessment of your financial resources in awarding need-based aid, we will be glad to review your aid application a second time to ensure that we fully considered your financial circumstances."

Could the Hammie be worth mentioning to them as well??

cway
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby cway » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:29 am

armysgt wrote:Does anyone here have experience with negotiating with the fin aid office?

YLS is offering around $7K more and I also have a Hamilton from CLS, which is hard to ignore. I'll def mention the YLS aid to them since the HLS package email says, "if another law school has made a substantially different assessment of your financial resources in awarding need-based aid, we will be glad to review your aid application a second time to ensure that we fully considered your financial circumstances."

Could the Hammie be worth mentioning to them as well??


Congrats!! From reading earlier discussions on this: They will definitely take a look at Yale's offer, but I seriously doubt they would raise your offer beyond Yale's offer to get closer to the Hamilton.

Good luck!

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby bbkk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33 am

I think I have joined the fb group (I can see my name in the member list), but I still can't see any posts.. anybody knows why? :?: :?: :?:


EDIT: never mind i think it's my fb's prob.
Last edited by bbkk on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:14 am

hdunlop wrote:They say "usually" ten; they're a bit behind for me at least.


+1, definitely behind. Hoping to get it today *fingers crossed*

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby lastsamurai » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:41 am

kershka wrote:Just received my aid package as well and it was a reality check. I still love Harvard and haven't written it off but the happy buzz from ASW is definitely wearing off now.


Fully agree with the bold above. My aid package wasn't horrible, but it'll still leave me w much more in debt than at Chi or Penn. Gotta decide how much dat preftige is worth to me...hard to put a price tag on it
Last edited by lastsamurai on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hop
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby hop » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Checking in.

Admitted in Feb and likely to attend. My financial aid package came yesterday; it was good, though I'm married with kids, which helps. I couldn't make the March ASW, looking forward to April!

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Where's my aid at though :(

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:08 pm

Considering my documents still aren't complete, and the wait some people seem to have once review begins, it looks like its going to be awhile before I have any aid information.

gottago
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby gottago » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:03 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jaesonko
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:22 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby jaesonko » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:20 pm

Just got my book. Between this and the email address, Harvard really knows how to make you feel all giggly inside. :lol:

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:14 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Where's my aid at though :(

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby bbkk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:05 pm

The Book!

Did it come in with the admission package for you guys??

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:47 pm

bbkk wrote:The Book!

Did it come in with the admission package for you guys??


Nope. Mines came nearly 7-8 weeks later. Time lines vary as some people admitted AFTER me received theirs before me.

User avatar
whippersnappery
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby whippersnappery » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Is anyone thinking of living in HUH and know when the leases start for those apartments?

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:55 pm

Speaking of housing. Can anyone give me a refresher on the deadlines for housing apps? Some recent news has left me largely unmotivated to do anything but I know I should get back on it ASAP

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby bbkk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:15 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Speaking of housing. Can anyone give me a refresher on the deadlines for housing apps? Some recent news has left me largely unmotivated to do anything but I know I should get back on it ASAP


Just heard somebody said it yesterday, 4/30. Didn't verify though.

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby bbkk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:16 pm

paglababa wrote:
bbkk wrote:The Book!

Did it come in with the admission package for you guys??


Nope. Mines came nearly 7-8 weeks later. Time lines vary as some people admitted AFTER me received theirs before me.


I see. Thanks! :D

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby codyoneill » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 pm

whippersnappery wrote:Is anyone thinking of living in HUH and know when the leases start for those apartments?


I can't remember where I read this, but the lease dates vary from unit to unit with the most common start date being June 30th. Starting in April the HUH listings will be available to students whose HUH apps have been accepted.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:57 pm

codyoneill wrote:
whippersnappery wrote:Is anyone thinking of living in HUH and know when the leases start for those apartments?


I can't remember where I read this, but the lease dates vary from unit to unit with the most common start date being June 30th. Starting in April the HUH listings will be available to students whose HUH apps have been accepted.


Yep, this is correct. Some of them are as early as June 15/16th and some extend as far out as August. But the most common date seems to be June 30th.

I didn't think you could actually select a unit until May though? (Excluding the "currently available" stuff).




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest