Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
6
8%
Section 2
12
16%
Section 3
8
11%
Section 4
7
10%
Section 5
19
26%
Section 6
8
11%
Section 7
13
18%
 
Total votes: 73

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:31 am

Just booked my train ticket! Aaah, this is really happening. :D

User avatar
chneyo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby chneyo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:11 am

...
Last edited by chneyo on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ren
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Ren » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:27 am

paglababa wrote:I just want the record to show that I never received my book.


+1

I am really interested to see what book they will pick for me.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TripTrip » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:01 am

applelover wrote:I'm not ready for ASW. I still have to get through a week of midterms. Is there already an established consensus on what to wear?

Any outfit on this page is appropriate.

Alternatively, my offer still stands to buy a drink for anyone who wears a tuxedo. Since we're in Boston, that drink will almost certainly be a Sam Adams.

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby applelover » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 am

TripTrip wrote:
applelover wrote:I'm not ready for ASW. I still have to get through a week of midterms. Is there already an established consensus on what to wear?

Any outfit on this page is appropriate.

Alternatively, my offer still stands to buy a drink for anyone who wears a tuxedo. Since we're in Boston, that drink will almost certainly be a Sam Adams.


Thanks, but jeans a button up are more of a guys thing. Most of the women on that page are all wearing jean shirts, which I don't think are appropriate.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TripTrip » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:45 am

applelover wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
applelover wrote:I'm not ready for ASW. I still have to get through a week of midterms. Is there already an established consensus on what to wear?

Any outfit on this page is appropriate.

Alternatively, my offer still stands to buy a drink for anyone who wears a tuxedo. Since we're in Boston, that drink will almost certainly be a Sam Adams.


Thanks, but jeans a button up are more of a guys thing. Most of the women on that page are all wearing jean shirts, which I don't think are appropriate.

I'll extend my drinks offer to any woman who wears a jean shirt.

I figured women would be able to extrapolate from those outfits; I didn't really know what search terms I would use for girls. Layered sweater? Button down with something other than jeans that isn't dress pants? Now I'm just looking around class and trying to describe the outfits I see my female classmates wearing. You'll want to look generally like a student and less like an applicant. For men that means no hoodies but also no dress slacks. I don't know how that translates for women.

User avatar
Optimist Prime
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby Optimist Prime » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:13 pm

The tactical turtleneck is the obvious choice here people. Either black, or slightly darker black.

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby neprep » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:The tactical turtleneck is the obvious choice here people. Either blackmauve, or slightly darker blackmauve.


ftfy/me

User avatar
flippacious
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby flippacious » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:25 pm

TripTrip wrote:I figured women would be able to extrapolate from those outfits; I didn't really know what search terms I would use for girls. Layered sweater? Button down with something other than jeans that isn't dress pants? Now I'm just looking around class and trying to describe the outfits I see my female classmates wearing. You'll want to look generally like a student and less like an applicant. For men that means no hoodies but also no dress slacks. I don't know how that translates for women.

The middle ground between jeans and dress pants is an ongoing struggle in my life. (I am female.)

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TripTrip » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:37 pm

flippacious wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I figured women would be able to extrapolate from those outfits; I didn't really know what search terms I would use for girls. Layered sweater? Button down with something other than jeans that isn't dress pants? Now I'm just looking around class and trying to describe the outfits I see my female classmates wearing. You'll want to look generally like a student and less like an applicant. For men that means no hoodies but also no dress slacks. I don't know how that translates for women.

The middle ground between jeans and dress pants is an ongoing struggle in my life. (I am female.)

In this situation, there really is nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans.

In 2014, as long as your jeans don't have a hole in the knee they're classified as "nice."

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:40 pm

What do people here want to do that isn't big law or PI oriented?

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby The-Specs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:45 pm

paglababa wrote:What do people here want to do that isn't big law or PI oriented?


Sports law?

ejan1621
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby ejan1621 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:54 pm

legal academia. joint jd/phd (aka i hate my life) applicant over here.

User avatar
flippacious
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby flippacious » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:00 pm

TripTrip wrote:
flippacious wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I figured women would be able to extrapolate from those outfits; I didn't really know what search terms I would use for girls. Layered sweater? Button down with something other than jeans that isn't dress pants? Now I'm just looking around class and trying to describe the outfits I see my female classmates wearing. You'll want to look generally like a student and less like an applicant. For men that means no hoodies but also no dress slacks. I don't know how that translates for women.

The middle ground between jeans and dress pants is an ongoing struggle in my life. (I am female.)

In this situation, there really is nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans.

In 2014, as long as your jeans don't have a hole in the knee they're classified as "nice."

Yeah, nice jeans with a blazer or nice boots or something is usually my go-to. I just wanted to complain because men have khakis and women don't. I'm essentially the only female in my business-casual office, and the men all get to wear khakis and button downs, whereas I wear dress pants.

(edit: in case it isn't clear, this isn't a serious complaint!)

User avatar
gingerspice
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby gingerspice » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:13 pm

flippacious wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
flippacious wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I figured women would be able to extrapolate from those outfits; I didn't really know what search terms I would use for girls. Layered sweater? Button down with something other than jeans that isn't dress pants? Now I'm just looking around class and trying to describe the outfits I see my female classmates wearing. You'll want to look generally like a student and less like an applicant. For men that means no hoodies but also no dress slacks. I don't know how that translates for women.

The middle ground between jeans and dress pants is an ongoing struggle in my life. (I am female.)

In this situation, there really is nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans.

In 2014, as long as your jeans don't have a hole in the knee they're classified as "nice."

Yeah, nice jeans with a blazer or nice boots or something is usually my go-to. I just wanted to complain because men have khakis and women don't. I'm essentially the only female in my business-casual office, and the men all get to wear khakis and button downs, whereas I wear dress pants.

(edit: in case it isn't clear, this isn't a serious complaint!)


I basically don't own dress pants, so I'm going all dresses and skirts, fwiw. But I'll go with pretty casual shirts with the skirts... basically what I wear to my business casual job.

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:16 pm

gingerspice wrote:
I basically don't own dress pants, so I'm going all dresses and skirts, fwiw. But I'll go with pretty casual shirts with the skirts... basically what I wear to my business casual job.


Make sure to bring tights or leggings to go under those dresses/skirts if you're coming to Cambridge in March/April fwiw.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:16 pm

flippacious wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
flippacious wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I figured women would be able to extrapolate from those outfits; I didn't really know what search terms I would use for girls. Layered sweater? Button down with something other than jeans that isn't dress pants? Now I'm just looking around class and trying to describe the outfits I see my female classmates wearing. You'll want to look generally like a student and less like an applicant. For men that means no hoodies but also no dress slacks. I don't know how that translates for women.

The middle ground between jeans and dress pants is an ongoing struggle in my life. (I am female.)

In this situation, there really is nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans.

In 2014, as long as your jeans don't have a hole in the knee they're classified as "nice."

Yeah, nice jeans with a blazer or nice boots or something is usually my go-to. I just wanted to complain because men have khakis and women don't. I'm essentially the only female in my business-casual office, and the men all get to wear khakis and button downs, whereas I wear dress pants.

(edit: in case it isn't clear, this isn't a serious complaint!)


Do people still wear Khakis if they're not Jake from statefarm?

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby neprep » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:32 pm

paglababa wrote:
Do people still wear Khakis if they're not Jake from statefarm?


Umm, I own over 12 pairs of khakis. They are my favorite sartorial item (perhaps second only to pajamas).

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby The-Specs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:40 pm

paglababa wrote:Do people still wear Khakis if they're not Jake from statefarm?


I love wearing khakis, I feel classy/refined and yet comfortable. I am definitely bringing a par to ASW.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:19 pm

I love me some chinos

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby wtrc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Anybody getting into Cambridge area on Friday afternoon?

04102014
Posts: 1696
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby 04102014 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:29 pm

wtrc wrote:Anybody getting into Cambridge area on Friday afternoon?


Oh hi I will already be here.

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:30 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
wtrc wrote:Anybody getting into Cambridge area on Friday afternoon?


Oh hi I will already be here.


Me too

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Ooh we want you to report back deets on how ASW is.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2203
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Coming up Saturday morning. Hopefully the crappy weather doesn't hold me back.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest