Harvard Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
8%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
10%
Section 5
26%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
18%

Total votes: 73

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:31 am

Just booked my train ticket! Aaah, this is really happening. :D

chneyo

Postby chneyo » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:11 am

Last edited by chneyo on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ren

Postby Ren » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:27 am

paglababa wrote:I just want the record to show that I never received my book.

+1

I am really interested to see what book they will pick for me.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:01 am

applelover wrote:I'm not ready for ASW. I still have to get through a week of midterms. Is there already an established consensus on what to wear?

Any outfit on this page is appropriate.

Alternatively, my offer still stands to buy a drink for anyone who wears a tuxedo. Since we're in Boston, that drink will almost certainly be a Sam Adams.

applelover

Postby applelover » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:30 am

TripTrip wrote:
applelover wrote:I'm not ready for ASW. I still have to get through a week of midterms. Is there already an established consensus on what to wear?

Alternatively, my offer still stands to buy a drink for anyone who wears a tuxedo. Since we're in Boston, that drink will almost certainly be a Sam Adams.

Thanks, but jeans a button up are more of a guys thing. Most of the women on that page are all wearing jean shirts, which I don't think are appropriate.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:45 am

applelover wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

Thanks, but jeans a button up are more of a guys thing. Most of the women on that page are all wearing jean shirts, which I don't think are appropriate.

I'll extend my drinks offer to any woman who wears a jean shirt.

I figured women would be able to extrapolate from those outfits; I didn't really know what search terms I would use for girls. Layered sweater? Button down with something other than jeans that isn't dress pants? Now I'm just looking around class and trying to describe the outfits I see my female classmates wearing. You'll want to look generally like a student and less like an applicant. For men that means no hoodies but also no dress slacks. I don't know how that translates for women.

Optimist Prime

Postby Optimist Prime » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:13 pm

The tactical turtleneck is the obvious choice here people. Either black, or slightly darker black.

neprep

Postby neprep » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:The tactical turtleneck is the obvious choice here people. Either blackmauve, or slightly darker blackmauve.

ftfy/me

flippacious

Postby flippacious » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:25 pm

TripTrip wrote:I figured women would be able to extrapolate from those outfits; I didn't really know what search terms I would use for girls. Layered sweater? Button down with something other than jeans that isn't dress pants? Now I'm just looking around class and trying to describe the outfits I see my female classmates wearing. You'll want to look generally like a student and less like an applicant. For men that means no hoodies but also no dress slacks. I don't know how that translates for women.

The middle ground between jeans and dress pants is an ongoing struggle in my life. (I am female.)

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:37 pm

flippacious wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I figured women would be able to extrapolate from those outfits; I didn't really know what search terms I would use for girls. Layered sweater? Button down with something other than jeans that isn't dress pants? Now I'm just looking around class and trying to describe the outfits I see my female classmates wearing. You'll want to look generally like a student and less like an applicant. For men that means no hoodies but also no dress slacks. I don't know how that translates for women.

The middle ground between jeans and dress pants is an ongoing struggle in my life. (I am female.)

In this situation, there really is nothing wrong with a nice pair of jeans.

In 2014, as long as your jeans don't have a hole in the knee they're classified as "nice."

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:40 pm

What do people here want to do that isn't big law or PI oriented?

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:45 pm

paglababa wrote:What do people here want to do that isn't big law or PI oriented?

Sports law?

ejan1621

Postby ejan1621 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:54 pm

legal academia. joint jd/phd (aka i hate my life) applicant over here.

flippacious

Postby flippacious » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:00 pm

TripTrip wrote:
flippacious wrote:

In 2014, as long as your jeans don't have a hole in the knee they're classified as "nice."

Yeah, nice jeans with a blazer or nice boots or something is usually my go-to. I just wanted to complain because men have khakis and women don't. I'm essentially the only female in my business-casual office, and the men all get to wear khakis and button downs, whereas I wear dress pants.

(edit: in case it isn't clear, this isn't a serious complaint!)

gingerspice

Postby gingerspice » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:13 pm

flippacious wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
flippacious wrote:

Yeah, nice jeans with a blazer or nice boots or something is usually my go-to. I just wanted to complain because men have khakis and women don't. I'm essentially the only female in my business-casual office, and the men all get to wear khakis and button downs, whereas I wear dress pants.

I basically don't own dress pants, so I'm going all dresses and skirts, fwiw. But I'll go with pretty casual shirts with the skirts... basically what I wear to my business casual job.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:16 pm

gingerspice wrote:
I basically don't own dress pants, so I'm going all dresses and skirts, fwiw. But I'll go with pretty casual shirts with the skirts... basically what I wear to my business casual job.

Make sure to bring tights or leggings to go under those dresses/skirts if you're coming to Cambridge in March/April fwiw.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:16 pm

flippacious wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
flippacious wrote:

Do people still wear Khakis if they're not Jake from statefarm?

neprep

Postby neprep » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:32 pm

paglababa wrote:
Do people still wear Khakis if they're not Jake from statefarm?

Umm, I own over 12 pairs of khakis. They are my favorite sartorial item (perhaps second only to pajamas).

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:40 pm

paglababa wrote:Do people still wear Khakis if they're not Jake from statefarm?

I love wearing khakis, I feel classy/refined and yet comfortable. I am definitely bringing a par to ASW.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:19 pm

I love me some chinos

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Anybody getting into Cambridge area on Friday afternoon?

Postby 04102014 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:29 pm

wtrc wrote:Anybody getting into Cambridge area on Friday afternoon?

Oh hi I will already be here.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:30 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
wtrc wrote:Anybody getting into Cambridge area on Friday afternoon?

Oh hi I will already be here.

Me too

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Ooh we want you to report back deets on how ASW is.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Coming up Saturday morning. Hopefully the crappy weather doesn't hold me back.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”