Harvard Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
9%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
9%
Section 5
27%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
17%

Total votes: 75

nabadgelyo

Bronze

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Post by nabadgelyo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:14 am

Last edited by nabadgelyo on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:24 am

jingosaur wrote:HLS ASW was SOOO FUN!!

For those wondering about bringing a SO, I brought mine for the first two days and it worked out well. Just make sure your SO is prepared for people to assume that they got in and when people find out he/she is just a guest, they may be ignored for long periods of time.

And yes, I got my financial aid offer yesterday too! Not as much as I thought, but it's preliminary and from what the financial aid officer I talked to at ASW said, I can get more grant money by paying down my student loans.
Please explain how this makes any sense at all. Are you telling me that if I'm in debt (assuming UG debt here?) I will get less grant aid than if I am debt free?

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:33 am

t-14orbust wrote:

For those wondering about bringing a SO, I brought mine for the first two days and it worked out well. Just make sure your SO is prepared for people to assume that they got in and when people find out he/she is just a guest, they may be ignored for long periods of time.

And yes, I got my financial aid offer yesterday too! Not as much as I thought, but it's preliminary and from what the financial aid officer I talked to at ASW said, I can get more grant money by paying down my student loans.
Please explain how this makes any sense at all. Are you telling me that if I'm in debt (assuming UG debt here?) I will get less grant aid than if I am debt free?
I think what he's referring to is let's say you have two scenarios:

1) You are 30k in debt, but have 50k in assets
or
2) You have no debt because you've paid it off, now you only have 20k in assets.

The debt load factors in less than the assets in determining financial aid and contribution. I don't think it makes that much of a difference though, especially for those of us under 29 and "relying on family contribution" according to the system.

alllaweverything

New

Post by alllaweverything » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:35 am

don't know if this has already been discussed (i'm a recent JS2), but how appropriate is it to stress financial need/include scholarship offers from other schools in the HLS post admission survey?

"Please let us know any other factors, questions, or tough decisions that you are facing regarding your law school decision (e.g. moving with partner/kids, other schools you are considering, etc.)"

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:43 am

Post-ASW thoughts:

1) I've just changed my poll answer vote to "aww, yiss!" from the "LASTSamurai_idk_club."
2) Speaking of which, LastSamurai is a good roommate.
3) My main reservation going in was that people would be hard to connect with at HLS. I didn't go to a preftigious UG or grow up like that at all. This was almost entirely unfounded though... everyone was so normal and pretty great. Including/especially the TLS folks.
4) Obviously there will be gunners. But the gunners were pretty rare, at least this weekend.
5) HLS did a really good job with the weekend. The only things I would change are the bars they rented out, since it would be way cheaper (=more drinks) and less crowded to do the same thing they did on Saturday night at HLS.
6) Also: "HLS: A smart financial decision?" should not have been at 9:30 on Sunday morning after the clocks went forward an hour...
7) Way too many people determined that our TLS-contingent knew each other from TLS. It was kind of ridiculous how literally the majority of people there read or have read this thread many times.
8 ) As an example: on Saturday night at the bar I was talking to two people who I did not realize read TLS. In the middle of the conversation they turned to each other and said "YO WHERE DO YOU THINK SCOOBERS AND LAWSCHOOL22 ARE AT?!" I still have not figured out who they are on TLS... reveal yourselves, 2 dudes in red shirts.
9) Another example: Someone else figured out who we were, ended up being a pretty active poster.
10) TripTrip, where you at? Also, Specs, you too, and TheWaves.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:50 am

wtrc wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

I think what he's referring to is let's say you have two scenarios:

1) You are 30k in debt, but have 50k in assets
or
2) You have no debt because you've paid it off, now you only have 20k in assets.

The debt load factors in less than the assets in determining financial aid and contribution. I don't think it makes that much of a difference though, especially for those of us under 29 and "relying on family contribution" according to the system.
Alright that makes sense. I suppose I'm lucky to have UG debt(not too bad) and no assets 8) :lol:

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:55 am

wtrc wrote:Post-ASW thoughts:

1) I've just changed my poll answer vote to "aww, yiss!" from the "LASTSamurai_idk_club."
3) My main reservation going in was that people would be hard to connect with at HLS. I didn't go to a preftigious UG or grow up like that at all. This was almost entirely unfounded though... everyone was so normal and pretty great. Including/especially the TLS folks.
4) Obviously there will be gunners. But the gunners were pretty rare, at least this weekend.
5) HLS did a really good job with the weekend. The only things I would change are the bars they rented out, since it would be way cheaper (=more drinks) and less crowded to do the same thing they did on Saturday night at HLS.
6) Also: "HLS: A smart financial decision?" should not have been at 9:30 on Sunday morning after the clocks went forward an hour...
7) Way too many people determined that our TLS-contingent knew each other from TLS. It was kind of ridiculous how literally the majority of people there read or have read this thread many times.
8 ) As an example: on Saturday night at the bar I was talking to two people who I did not realize read TLS. In the middle of the conversation they turned to each other and said "YO WHERE DO YOU THINK SCOOBERS AND LAWSCHOOL22 ARE AT?!" I still have not figured out who they are on TLS... reveal yourselves, 2 dudes in red shirts.
9) Another example: Someone else figured out who we were, ended up being a pretty active poster.
Thoughts on wtrc's thoughts:

3) Everyone was indeed super chill. It was pretty surprising and great.

5) Yeah, spoiler alert, my own review is mainly just gonna be "the food was pretty good, but maybe you should have sprang for an open bar". This one bitch in our group just wouldn't stop complaining about the fact that both nights they sent us to off-campus bars with a single drink ticket that was only valid for beer or wine.*

6) I don't know how many people made it to "HLS: Will you be poor after this?", but I'm guessing that the amount is in the 3-5 person range. Alcohol + daylight savings + Sunday 9:30 AM.. I don't want to meet the kids who were responsible enough to make it.

7) Everyone there was either on TLS or had regularly read it. This theory was never disproven.

10) Forever disappointed I didn't meet Specs or get to verify TripTrip's "greater than George Clooney" handsomeness.

*That bitch was me. Ugh, she's the worst.

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:04 am

Added thoughts to ASW:

-I never once mentioned TLS, but a lot of people kept refering to things they heard "on the internet"
-I accidently talked about JS1 a few times and no one batted an eye
-That bar we went to Sunday night was so dark and loud. Also, NO ONE who goes to HLS would ever go downtown to Carrie Nation. I got a sense that a lot of people never even go into Boston, but if they did, that is not somewhere anyone would think of going.
-Also, I'm not a huge fan of beer/wine, I wanted the liquor HLS!
-Everyone was great, and a shockingly large percentage of people were at the You Will Be Poor seminar
-Oh, and please, please don't bring your parents, that was weird.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:14 am

politics89 wrote: -Oh, and please, please don't bring your parents, that was weird.
Yeah, forgot about this. There were like, a lot of parents there the first day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:23 am

I would like to +1 the complaints about the alcohol. I'm thankful it's free, but the pub didn't offer any liquor for sale and uh.... that gross, sweet chardonnay gives me a ridiculous hangover. I would've been more than happy to pay for my own liquor and avoid feeling like a zombie all through Sunday.

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:24 am

Sorry I didn't get to meet a lot of the TLS regulars (lastsamurai and wtrc come to mind), but I retroactively realized I met TripTrip :D and a few others who aren't heavy TLS users. Everyone was so nice. A few awkward/intense kids but those are my people as well. I really enjoyed the reception where I got to meet a lot of professors and people at once. The clinical profs are so down to earth. I will say that I didn't get the best impression from a certain prof after having lunch with him. But I'm sure that's not representative of HLS, and I hear he's a good lecturer. Overall, it was a great experience!

jaesonko

Bronze

Post by jaesonko » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:28 am

What about the swag!?

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:35 am

jaesonko wrote:What about the swag!?
I thought the swag was pretty legit. A lanyard, a metal water bottle, and a choice between a really nice canvas tote and a drawstring backpack. There seemed to be a pretty heavy gender divide on which bag people chose.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:35 am

cway wrote:I would like to +1 the complaints about the alcohol. I'm thankful it's free, but the pub didn't offer any liquor for sale and uh.... that gross, sweet chardonnay gives me a ridiculous hangover. I would've been more than happy to pay for my own liquor and avoid feeling like a zombie all through Sunday.
Trust me, they offered liquor. You just had to buy it yourself, and it was at least $7 per mixed drink w/ well liquor at both places. Boo.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:40 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
cway wrote:I would like to +1 the complaints about the alcohol. I'm thankful it's free, but the pub didn't offer any liquor for sale and uh.... that gross, sweet chardonnay gives me a ridiculous hangover. I would've been more than happy to pay for my own liquor and avoid feeling like a zombie all through Sunday.
Trust me, they offered liquor. You just had to buy it yourself, and it was at least $7 per mixed drink w/ well liquor at both places. Boo.
Do you think it's worth going if I'm already highly considering HLS and the trip would cost 150-250$?

juicebox

Bronze

Post by juicebox » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:41 am

How were the mock classes?

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:43 am

jaesonko wrote:What about the swag!?
Honestly there wasn't a whole lot in that department (or if there was I seemed to miss most of it). You go in and they immediately give you the choice between an HLS branded tote bag or draw string bag. This was a very difficult decision for me since the tote looked obviously superior but I couldn't see myself using it outside of that weekend. Came with an HLS water bottle. That's all I got from ASW (maybe I'm blanking on something?) but they do give you a 15% coupon for stuff at the HLS Co-op where I got my family a few items.

The weekend itself was great. I was kind of worried the people would be difficult to get along with (I blame the HLS app thread and the insane neroticism that is within) but the people ended up being truly awesome. I met a ton of people that I hope to meet again next fall.

As for the events. The classes they sent us to all were interesting. The actual class you attend on Monday is very hard to follow since you haven't taken the class all Spring nor have you done the reading. I got lucky that a student there was really active in helping me follow along with the lecture for no reason other than he just seemed to be a genuinely great person.

I will say, take advantage of the free alcohol at the first lunch and piano bar/trivia pub (although more at the latter than the former because I think I looked like an alcoholic at the lunch) because you won't get that kind of free service again. They give you single drink tickets elsewhere and the first night we went out (John Harvard's Brew House) was so bizarrely packed that my group ended up leaving and going elsewhere to get irresponsibly drunk. I got the feeling that most people go out around Cambridge as opposed to Boston but that may have been because it was a Sunday night and no one is going to go downtown on a Sunday night. That being said, I really liked that I had an excuse to look at the city a bit.

All in all great time. If I wasn't already convinced that I'd be in Cambridge this September, I am now.

P.S. I'm pretty sure there was a table right next to me of TLS regulars at the breakfast Monday morning but the table was full so I didn't approach.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:48 am

t-14orbust wrote:
Do you think it's worth going if I'm already highly considering HLS and the trip would cost 150-250$?
Yes, definitely. It was a great opportunity to see the campus and meet your potential future classmates, and if you're already pretty set on Harvard (like I was), it's a good way to reinforce that decision. If you go, you won't spend the rest of the cycle wondering whether it was a good idea to commit to a school you don't have a real feel for.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:49 am

t-14orbust wrote:
Yes, definitely. It was a great opportunity to see the campus, meet your potential future classmates, and if you're already pretty set on Harvard (like I was), it's a good way to reinforce that decision. If you go, you won't spend the rest of the cycle whether it was a good idea to commit to a school you don't have a real feel for.
Alright, it looks like I'll go to April ASW then. Is it bad that the thing that turned me off most was the non-open bars? I'm a terrible human being

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:15 pm

ASW was absolutely awesome. I also didn't know what to expect having not gone to a prestigious undergrad, but everyone there was so nice, and I could feel a sense of community already. Was a little bummed at the bar on Saturday cuz a group of us planned on using our drink tickets for a round of shots, but that was more than made up by getting to meet Elizabeth Warren. Was really cool bumping into some TLSers, too. I can definitely see myself at HLS next year.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:57 pm

I just have to say that I feel so loved that so many of you wanted to meet me, I had no idea. I am sorry that didn't happen but I also worry that I will seem so much less cool to all of you irl. I am married so I spent most of the weekend with other married couples and my wife and I don't drink so that puts a big social divided between us and a lot the students at the social events (though I don't think it has to be that way!). Some of you might have seen me though, I am very tall (6' 7") and I was walking around with the short, blonde (but stunningly beautiful) pregnant lady.

But I did spend most of the weekend with Charlie.Black and Brich256. Thanks for a great weekend guys.

On a completely different note, +1 to what everyone was saying about ASW. It was extremely impressive and if there was any doubt before that I was going to attend HLS it was easily wiped away. It was so much fun and such a great experience. Even if you are deadset on matriculating I would attend ASW. It was so amazing and it gives you the opportunity to learn so much more about Harvard, the culture and the people.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:07 pm

The-Specs wrote:Some of you might have seen me though, I am very tall (6' 7") and I was walking around with the short, blonde (but stunningly beautiful) pregnant lady.
:shock:
Clearly the primary reason HLS admitted you was to maintain its height medians.

Also ASW stories make me envious but keep them coming!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:08 pm

neprep wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Some of you might have seen me though, I am very tall (6' 7") and I was walking around with the short, blonde (but stunningly beautiful) pregnant lady.

Also ASW stories make me envious but keep them coming!
You going in April? Let's be friends

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:15 pm

neprep wrote:
I didn't even think about that. Maybe I should have mentioned that in my DS for Yale. ;)

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:36 pm

wtrc wrote:Post-ASW thoughts:

:D
+1 to what wtrc said, except I'd disagree with the description of gunners as being "pretty rare"-there were definitely more than I was hoping to see. That being said, they were certainly the minority, and most people were lovely, especially the TLS crew (of course).

Overall, I had an amazing weekend and I'm extremely glad I went. It definitely makes me less stressed about waiting for a decision from Stanford/Yale/the others I don't have decisions from and about waiting for scholarship info elsewhere. I wouldn't say I'm 100% sold, but I think I'd be very happy if I end up at HLS.

Also, I am still recovering. I need to get in better drinking shape before law school, obvs.

P.S. seriously, out yourselves, red shirt lurkers.
P.P.S. There were several times I felt a bit starstruck-as someone else mentioned, Senator Warren made a brief appearance, plus getting to see JS and so many famous professors in person was pretty cool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”