Harvard Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
9%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
9%
Section 5
27%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
17%

Total votes: 75

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:54 pm

HorseThief wrote:I've updated the first post in this thread so it now has tons of useful info.
Awesome update, thanks! :D

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:29 pm

cway wrote:
I have a question! The note on the first page said that we should look for apartments May-July, but that the good ones are snapped up at ASW? Are there apartments available as early as March? I'm nervous about committing that early...
There are two relevant posts in the 'Ask a HLS Student' thread. TLDR; Some great apartments will be advertised during ASW's, and you should move on those quickly. If you don't find anything, though, you can always wait until the early summer and you will still be able to find an apartment.

acrossthelake wrote:
sea15 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
sea15 wrote:So I am going to be gone the month of May. Is June too late to get an apartment? Or should I travel up in April? Anyone have any insight?
It depends how picky you are and how flexible your budget is. Apts. close to campus go fast. Deals go fast. I locked down my current apt. within 48 hours of it being posted on craigslist. You have gunners like ME in the housing market. Adjust accordingly.
I'm having difficult finding apartments available in August. Plus, I don't live remotely close to Boston and would definitely want to see the place I'm going to be living in. I'm actually considering going through a realtor just to save me a lot of hassle. when did you find your apartment?
For next year, posted on the Thursday before Spring Break on Campus. Put down my security deposit that Saturday.
For this year, I visited during my senior year spring break.

August 1sts close to campus get harder to find as time progresses since both 1Ls and 2Ls prefer it.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... &start=600

concurrent fork wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
splbagel wrote:
So is it a reasonable strategy to hope for a good view time, and initiate serious craigslist hunting only if HRES doesn't work out? Or should I start looking for apartments now and hope to visit them over March ASW?
It depends how picky you are re: apts and location. If you're less picky, you can probably afford to wait for the view times. I wouldn't necessarily start now. One major frustration I had was finding the time to visit. I did my apt. searching over Spring Break--I stayed with friends in Boston. However, I had a hard time getting realtors to actually show me apartments. It's a renter's market, and a lot seemed uninterested in talking to me once they realized that I was from out of town and had narrow time demands. I don't know if I just ran into unusually rude renters, but it was very frustrating.
The agents we've dealt with have been pretty rude too. I guess there's so much demand that customer service skills aren't really necessary.

To poster above: A lot of the nicer apartments near campus rent over the March and April ASW. There are definitely options left afterward, but the selection is more limited.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... &start=500

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 am

Man the idea of looking for apartments and moving makes my head hurt. Going to delay this for a few more months.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:28 pm

paglababa wrote:Man the idea of looking for apartments and moving makes my head hurt. Going to delay this for a few more months.
Yep. This stressed me out last night, hadn't thought about it beforehand, lol.

I'd love to do North Hall, otherwise I'll do off-campus I think.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Anyone in NYC want to grab a drink after work in Midtown sometime this week or next?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:41 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Anyone in NYC want to grab a drink after work in Midtown sometime this week or next?
I'm down. Let's plan a happy hour guys. Especially since I couldn't make the last epic bout of Everlasting-friendship-making-goodness.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:49 pm

paglababa wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Anyone in NYC want to grab a drink after work in Midtown sometime this week or next?
I'm down. Let's plan a happy hour guys. Especially since I couldn't make the last epic bout of Everlasting-friendship-making-goodness.
Woohoo! When works for you this week?

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:58 pm

paglababa wrote:
I wish i had friends :cry:

tls2175

Bronze

Post by tls2175 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:23 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
paglababa wrote:
I'm down, too! But I'd prefer next week. This week is pretty busy although I might be able to do Thursday night.

Edit: I know I missed paglababa on Saturday, but is there any chance I met you, MDLG? Were you able to make it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Dang it NYC-ers, stop having so much fun without us :evil:

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:34 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
paglababa wrote:
I wish i had friends :cry:

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:58 pm

tls2175 wrote:
paglababa wrote:
I'm down, too! But I'd prefer next week. This week is pretty busy although I might be able to do Thursday night.

Edit: I know I missed paglababa on Saturday, but is there any chance I met you, MDLG? Were you able to make it?
This week is busy for me too, but if we're considering next week Tuesday, Thursday, Friday are good evenings for me.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:01 pm

paglababa wrote:Man the idea of looking for apartments and moving makes my head hurt. Going to delay this for a few more months.
No shame in living on campus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:17 pm

codyoneill wrote:
tls2175 wrote:
paglababa wrote:

This week is busy for me too, but if we're considering next week Tuesday, Thursday, Friday are good evenings for me.
Really hectic next week for me due to our reporting deadlines @ work. Meeting Paris time noon deadlines = no joke :(
Friday the 7th could work next week for me though. Think I'll be done by then.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:09 pm

My travel subsidy just got approved. Looks like my wife and I will see you all in Cambridge at ASW! :) :)

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:23 pm

The-Specs wrote:My travel subsidy just got approved. Looks like my wife and I will see you all in Cambridge at ASW! :) :)
Sorry if you answered this previously, but did you qualify for a need-based fee waiver at the beginning of your cycle? Or did you just petition for the subsidy and get approved?

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:32 pm

kershka wrote:
The-Specs wrote:My travel subsidy just got approved. Looks like my wife and I will see you all in Cambridge at ASW! :) :)
Sorry if you answered this previously, but did you qualify for a need-based fee waiver at the beginning of your cycle? Or did you just petition for the subsidy and get approved?
I didn't try to get a fee waiver earlier in the cycle but I asked if I could apply for one retroactively to see if I qualified for one. They said that was fine (though they wouldn't return the application fee, which I was fine with) and sent me the form. I filled it out and they told me today I had been approved. Very quick turn around.

I think this was mentioned earlier but they prorate the subsidy by distance. So, as I am in SoCal I got the maximum amount ($300). HTH

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:37 pm

The-Specs wrote:
kershka wrote:
I didn't try to get a fee waiver earlier in the cycle but I asked if I could apply for one retroactively to see if I qualified for one. They said that was fine (though they wouldn't return the application fee, which I was fine with) and sent me the form. I filled it out and they told me today I had been approved. Very quick turn around.

I think this was mentioned earlier but they prorate the subsidy by distance. So, as I am in SoCal I got the maximum amount ($300). HTH
Guessing an independent working full time is not going to be getting subsidization for ASW costs? Need to find a cheap place to sleep... :S

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:13 pm

The-Specs wrote:
kershka wrote:

Awesome, Specs, thanks! I'll give it a try then and hope for the best!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:30 pm

The-Specs wrote:
kershka wrote:

SoCal love. What info was required on the form? I need to fill that out ASAP

tls2175

Bronze

Post by tls2175 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:24 pm

paglababa wrote:
codyoneill wrote:
tls2175 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Woohoo! When works for you this week?

Really hectic next week for me due to our reporting deadlines @ work. Meeting Paris time noon deadlines = no joke :(
Friday the 7th could work next week for me though. Think I'll be done by then.
Oh man, the 7th doesn't work for me. I'm good for Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday, though. Of course, if that Friday works out for most people, I'll just have to catch the next one!

PS - if any not native to NY TLSers (is that phrased correctly?) find themselves in NYC anytime soon, I'd love to meet up!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:46 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
The-Specs wrote:
kershka wrote:

SoCal love. What info was required on the form? I need to fill that out ASAP
It asks for pretty much all of your financial info and then some stuff from your parents (unless you are 29+) as well as last years (2012) tax return. Good luck guys!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:46 pm

The-Specs wrote:
It asks for pretty much all of your financial info and then some stuff from your parents (unless you are 29+) as well as last years (2012) tax return. Good luck guys!
ooh 2012 I can do that then. thanks brother

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:24 pm

Okay, I'm not smart enough to keep track of everyone's availability dates in my head. I propose we do one meetup this week, one next, because I am not above multiple drinking meetups.

1. Who is available to meetup this week, and what day do you want to meet?
2. Who is available to meetup next week, and what day do you want to meet?

binary_theatrics

New

Post by binary_theatrics » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:52 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Okay, I'm not smart enough to keep track of everyone's availability dates in my head. I propose we do one meetup this week, one next, because I am not above multiple drinking meetups.

1. Who is available to meetup this week, and what day do you want to meet?
2. Who is available to meetup next week, and what day do you want to meet?
I'm free either this week or next - Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”