Harvard Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
9%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
9%
Section 5
27%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
17%

Total votes: 75

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:47 am

the_pakalypse wrote:
I've wanted to go to Harvard my whole frigging life -- until I found TLS haha. :|
This was me, excpet replace Harvard with my state's flagship school.

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:45 am

So I had to take two long trips in the past few days, and spent most of the commute time browsing YouTube for HLS videos. I'm sure most of you have already seen these — and I also know nobody clicks on YouTube links ;) — but in case you've missed any, or someone wants to be initiated, here are a few that I found most interesting:

Ren

New

Post by Ren » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:26 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
the_pakalypse wrote:
I've wanted to go to Harvard my whole frigging life -- until I found TLS haha. :|
Ditto!
I am not sure I will be able to turn Harvard down, even for Stanford (and I'll never hear back from Yale)

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Ren wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:
the_pakalypse wrote:
Ditto!
I am not sure I will be able to turn Harvard down, even for Stanford (and I'll never hear back from Yale)
I sent Yale a fee waiver app but I never heard back from them (or something happened with the mail) and since it's unlikely I'd had picked Yale over Harvard (don't look at me like that I have my reasons!) I'd rather not waste the $85. I also don't think I'd pick Stanford over Harvard but I'd love to have the option.

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:21 pm

I know someone briefly mentioned it awhile back but wondering if anyone else here applied for a joint Kennedy school degree. PMs if you did?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:17 pm

Curious as to what some other married students are thinking with regard to housing? I'm just now finishing UG and have like zero savings and zero potential for parental contribution, but I'd like to find a place that is comfortable for two people. My spouse will be working hopefully, but not before we move this fall so I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to make everything work.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:22 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Curious as to what some other married students are thinking with regard to housing? I'm just now finishing UG and have like zero savings and zero potential for parental contribution, but I'd like to find a place that is comfortable for two people. My spouse will be working hopefully, but not before we move this fall so I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to make everything work.
My wife and I are looking at HUH (Harvard University Housing). There are a couple of apts we are very interested in and they look like pretty solid options for couples.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:59 am

They've announced a +4.1% COA increase for next year (+4.8% for tuition and mandatory fees). Total COA up to $81,900 for 2014-15.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... udget.html

If completely debt-financing, that comes to a cool $315k owed at repayment. Let's hear it for some fin aid!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:25 am

cotiger wrote:Let's hear it for some fin aid!
Amen to that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:29 pm

cotiger wrote:They've announced a +4.1% COA increase for next year (+4.8% for tuition and mandatory fees). Total COA up to $81,900 for 2014-15.

If completely debt-financing, that comes to a cool $315k owed at repayment. Let's hear it for some fin aid!
D=

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:40 pm

Speaking of which, I'm curious for some thoughts on how stupid it is to go to Harvard with no financial aid. I've been working for seven years and am getting married this summer, and while we haven't earned a ton the expectation that we provide 50 percent of our retirement savings, plus a portion of spousal income, seemingly means I'd get at the most 10-20K over three years and likely less.

My other options aren't really in yet but I'm wondering about the CW. I got a Dean's scholarship at UCLA, wrote for the Levy at Penn and am interviewing for the Mordecai at Duke. My numbers seem competitive for the Ruby at Chicago and I'd take that over Harvard in a heartbeat not least for life reasons, but what does TLS think on HYS vs. Penn, or Duke, or UCLA for free?

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:30 pm

hdunlop wrote:Speaking of which, I'm curious for some thoughts on how stupid it is to go to Harvard with no financial aid. I've been working for seven years and am getting married this summer, and while we haven't earned a ton the expectation that we provide 50 percent of our retirement savings, plus a portion of spousal income, seemingly means I'd get at the most 10-20K over three years and likely less.

My other options aren't really in yet but I'm wondering about the CW. I got a Dean's scholarship at UCLA, wrote for the Levy at Penn and am interviewing for the Mordecai at Duke. My numbers seem competitive for the Ruby at Chicago and I'd take that over Harvard in a heartbeat not least for life reasons, but what does TLS think on HYS vs. Penn, or Duke, or UCLA for free?
It depends on what you want to do with your life.

DrStudMuffin

Bronze

Post by DrStudMuffin » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:55 pm

hdunlop wrote:Speaking of which, I'm curious for some thoughts on how stupid it is to go to Harvard with no financial aid. I've been working for seven years and am getting married this summer, and while we haven't earned a ton the expectation that we provide 50 percent of our retirement savings, plus a portion of spousal income, seemingly means I'd get at the most 10-20K over three years and likely less.

It seems recent TLS conventional wisdom has been that if you want standard biglaw, take the T-14 full ride. If you want something more difficult (DOJ, academia, etc) then HYS at sticker is still the move.

For me personally, I think I've decided that I would take a T-14 full ride over HYS at sticker. 300k at 6+ percent interest is just ridiculous, especially when HLS grads in biglaw are making the same salary as Mich/Berk/Duke grads in biglaw.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:06 pm

The truth is I'm not exactly sure what I want. I definitely don't want DOJ. My professional background is in national security (as a civilian) and to a lesser extent homeland security/immigration. I suspect I'll want to return to government at some point, but not out of law school. I'm interested in academia but not really legal academia (I took a shot at PhD programs in history this year, too, and bombed out of those) and probably likewise not anytime soon. I have always wanted to do law school and think I'd greatly enjoy being an attorney but am struggling to figure out exactly what my niche would be. I guess I'm hoping 1L would make that a bit more clear. The fact I'm a bit unsettled on what my precise path might be makes me very nervous about taking on debt. In my mind the crux of the issue is probably whether Harvard opens more doors over the course of a career by virtue of being Harvard or risks closing them due to debt.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:41 pm

hdunlop wrote: the crux of the issue is probably whether Harvard opens more doors over the course of a career by virtue of being Harvard or risks closing them due to debt.
This is a good question.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:31 pm

cotiger wrote:They've announced a +4.1% COA increase for next year (+4.8% for tuition and mandatory fees). Total COA up to $81,900 for 2014-15.

How did you get that $315K number? Now that I'm accepted that possible debt is becoming much more real :?

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:18 am

malleus discentium wrote:

How did you get that $315K number? Now that I'm accepted that possible debt is becoming much more real :?
Used this calculator, assuming a continued +3.5% COA increase, and adding in GradPLUS loan fees (4.288%). Note that this calculator assumes 6.8%/7.9% interest on Stafford/GradPLUS, which if set right now would be 6.3%/7.3% but could rise up to 9.5%/10.5%.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:38 am

cotiger wrote:

Used this calculator, assuming a continued +3.5% COA increase, and adding in GradPLUS loan fees (4.288%). Note that this calculator assumes 6.8%/7.9% interest on Stafford/GradPLUS, which if set right now would be 6.3%/7.3% but could rise up to 9.5%/10.5%.
Gotcha. The interest rate on the GradPlus loans is 6.41%, though, right? Or is that page outdated.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:45 am

cotiger wrote:

Gotcha. The interest rate on the GradPlus loans is 6.41%, though, right? Or is that page outdated.
It now gets recalculated each summer pegged to the yield rates on 10 year treasuries. That low rate was due to all-time low yields.

neprep

Silver

Post by neprep » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:17 pm

I heard there's a PACKAGE waiting for me. Could it finally be my book? :lol: Definitely not expecting anything else, unless it's CLS's five-pound box of brochures.

Also, have any of you written to the professor who wrote your book? A brief thank-you note or a "here's my uninformed opinion on your years of scholarship" type thing?

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:34 pm

neprep wrote:I heard there's a PACKAGE waiting for me. Could it finally be my book? :lol: Definitely not expecting anything else, unless it's CLS's five-pound box of brochures.

Also, have any of you written to the professor who wrote your book? A brief thank-you note or a "here's my uninformed opinion on your years of scholarship" type thing?
The professor who wrote my book e-mailed me late last week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Wow at another significant tuition and cost increase. With the explosion of student debt and the legal market job opportunities declining, glad to see that Harvard University is using that 33 billion endowment to keep costs affordable.

:cry:

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:19 pm

wtrc wrote:Wow at another significant tuition and cost increase. With the explosion of student debt and the legal market job opportunities declining, glad to see that Harvard University is using that 33 billion endowment to keep costs affordable.

Sourrudedude

Bronze

Post by Sourrudedude » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:00 pm

wtrc wrote:Wow at another significant tuition and cost increase. With the explosion of student debt and the legal market job opportunities declining, glad to see that Harvard University is using that 33 billion endowment to keep costs affordable.

They just got a 150 million donation for financial aid... For the undergrad college.

anubis1911

Bronze

Post by anubis1911 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:16 pm

I was accepted a while ago now (2 weeks) and have yet to receive my official acceptance packet... At what point do I call and say it is lost?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”