Harvard Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
9%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
9%
Section 5
27%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
17%

Total votes: 75

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:02 pm

OH THANK GOD. Just checked the Cooley rankings, and Harvard is #1. So afraid we were #3. The decision to go to H finally makes sense.

Apropos nothing..

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:12 pm

koalacity wrote:
wtrc wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:So for those whose admissions cycle is over*, what are you doing now? It's a long time until September.. I'm trying to figure out a good way to make use of the months it feels like just got added back to my life (that I would have otherwise spent obsessing over apps).

*That wording seems super strange. Am I having a total brain meltdown or..?
Finally writing my 250 and submitting that app; working full-time; doing a very part time thing too; relaxing; coming to terms with the fact that I actually got into HLS. And hoping to leave my job in June/July and travel for a month or so, maybe in Asia.
So I'm definitely just lurking on this thread and don't even go here, but I highly recommend southeast Asia for extended amazing travel on the cheap.
+1

In case you or others haven't seen it, though, make sure you make some cash before you leave:
HLS Finaid wrote: The student contribution, as a measure of the resources you have available for law school, is comprised of a portion from your summer income (what you earn during the months of June, July, and August) and a portion from your assets (one-third of your total assets as you first report them is used per year). A $2,500 minimum contribution from income is assessed for all incoming students to provide an incentive to work.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... prior.html

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 pm

$2,500!?!? What am I, made of money!?

(God, that'd be so much funnier if $2,500 wasn't a tragically significant portion of my current annual income.)

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:30 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:$2,500!?!? What am I, made of money!?

(God, that'd be so much funnier if $2,500 wasn't a tragically significant portion of my current annual income.)
Lol, I know. I was really excited to enjoy my last few months of freedom, but I guess I can get another job instead.

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:32 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:$2,500!?!? What am I, made of money!?

I'm going to cry. I have virtually no savings and just quit my (terribly underpaid) job and moved cross-country. Pressure is on to hear back from one of my recent job interviewers. Whelp, there goes my entire checking account :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:36 pm

Yeeeeeah, somehow I misread that 2,500$ student contribution portion the first time I went through that. I really, really, need to sit down and go through all of that more thoroughly. I've been dragging my feet in this extremely important area while focusing on other stuff, and I have got to change that.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:58 am

koalacity wrote:
wtrc wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:So for those whose admissions cycle is over*, what are you doing now? It's a long time until September.. I'm trying to figure out a good way to make use of the months it feels like just got added back to my life (that I would have otherwise spent obsessing over apps).

*That wording seems super strange. Am I having a total brain meltdown or..?
Finally writing my 250 and submitting that app; working full-time; doing a very part time thing too; relaxing; coming to terms with the fact that I actually got into HLS. And hoping to leave my job in June/July and travel for a month or so, maybe in Asia.
So I'm definitely just lurking on this thread and don't even go here, but I highly recommend southeast Asia for extended amazing travel on the cheap.
You'll be here soon enough Koala! And I'd be interested in more details on your SE Asia experiences

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:23 am

Waaaait a second... I have to dish out $2,500 of my own money (not from grants/loans?) before I can go? I thought I'd eat some food during the summer but I guess I could go back to selling my organs instead.
Last edited by CyanIdes Of March on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:45 am

More info on their summer work policy:
HLS Finaid wrote:While we expect entering 1Ls and transfer students to work during the summer before attending law school, we exempt them from the 8-week requirement; however, regardless of the length of summer work or the amount of money earned, all entering 1Ls and transfer students are expected to contribute a minimum of $2,500 towards the cost of their education during their 1L year.
They also talk about what happens if you don't work, but I don't entirely understand it. Hopefully someone who is more financially savvy can explain it to me.
HLS Finaid wrote:Since eligibility for HLS Grant assistance is directly related to the student contribution from income, Student Financial Services will impute an income to students who do not meet the 8-week work requirement. It would be unfair for a student not to work and as a result receive a larger grant than a student who did work the required 8 weeks.
Also relevant (and particularly frustrating for me, seeing how I've been self-employed for over a year):
HLS Finaid wrote:Academic work -- either independent (e.g., language studies, independent research) or toward other degrees or a joint degree – and self-employment do not meet the summer work requirement and an imputed student contribution from summer income will be calculated.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... oWorkatAll

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:05 am

Hopefully I can clear up some confusion. The eight week work requirement is for 1L and 2L summers. The $2,500 minimum student contribution is for aid calculation; it's not a literal contribution. It just means you'd be borrowing that money on GradPlus (higher interest rates) if you don't come up with it.

Self employment during 0L summer is fine. Traveling is great. Not having $2,500 in your checking account is A-OK. Don't freak out.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:37 am

TripTrip wrote:Hopefully I can clear up some confusion. The eight week work requirement is for 1L and 2L summers. The $2,500 minimum student contribution is for aid calculation; it's not a literal contribution. It just means you'd be borrowing that money on GradPlus (higher interest rates) if you don't come up with it.

Self employment during 0L summer is fine. Traveling is great. Not having $2,500 in your checking account is A-OK. Don't freak out.
You are my hero.

Also, sorry for scaring everyone. Mea culpa.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:17 am

Well that's good news, I guess plans for eating this summer are back on!

tls2175

Bronze

Post by tls2175 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:57 am

Hey guys, so I still haven't received any emails since Danielle Early's welcome email. I filled out the student survey over a month ago. Should I refill it out (I filled it out before DE's email but she mentioned I should complete the survey in her message)?

I know I asked about this a week ago but I'd love to have the opportunity to talk to current students, as some of you are currently doing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:00 pm

tls2175 wrote:Hey guys, so I still haven't received any emails since Danielle Early's welcome email. I filled out the student survey over a month ago. Should I refill it out (I filled it out before DE's email but she mentioned I should complete the survey in her message)?

I know I asked about this a week ago but I'd love to have the opportunity to talk to current students, as some of you are currently doing.
Sure, it probably won't hurt.

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:07 pm

tls2175 wrote:Hey guys, so I still haven't received any emails since Danielle Early's welcome email. I filled out the student survey over a month ago. Should I refill it out (I filled it out before DE's email but she mentioned I should complete the survey in her message)?

Sure, or maybe just give them a call. If they are trying to convince you to choose Harvard and you're feeling neglected, I'm sure they'd like to fix that. :D Isn't it nice that the tables have turned?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:55 pm

I shot ya a PM, tls2175.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Not sure if anyone here knows the answer to this question, but if I were to submit a seat deposit, does that mean I cannot apply to any other schools? I know that you aren't required to withdraw apps from schools that have yet to make a decision, but are we precluded from applying to other schools?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:46 pm

I was in the same boat as you. Got admitted just before Thanksgiving and filled out the survey in early December. I was just put in touch with some HLS students a week or so ago. It probably wouldn't hurt to contact the admissions office, but it's likely you haven't been forgotten.

Also I'm in for drinks this Saturday. I hope my location suggestion is okay, but there's still time to change it if someone else has a good place in mind.

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Okay, here's a discussion I'd like to have, fellow admits:

Merit scholarships at other schools.

For the moment, pretend that Yale and Stanford do not exist.

What level of merit aid at what other schools would reach the threshold of

1) making Harvard a difficult decision for you?

and/or

2) making you choose this other school over Harvard?

and for what reasons?

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:04 pm

codyoneill wrote:Okay, here's a discussion I'd like to have, fellow admits:

and/or

and for what reasons?
For me there is no level of merit aid that would tempt me away. They would have to guarantee me Law Review and top 10 ranking (among student body) at another school…which of course they can't.

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:12 pm

codyoneill wrote:Okay, here's a discussion I'd like to have, fellow admits:

and/or

and for what reasons?
I think that a Ruby from UChicago would make it a much trickier decision. I still might go Harvard, but a Ruby is a lot of money to give up. (Same with a Hamilton; I just don't have a chance in hell of getting one of those). A full ride from MVP would also give me pause, but not as much as a Ruby would.

Obviously, this is assuming your caveat that Stanford and Yale don't exist (or, at least, I don't get accepted to either).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:13 pm

The-Specs wrote:They would have to guarantee me Law Review and top 10 ranking (among student body) at another school.
That would be fantastic.

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:30 pm

Sidenote: Does anyone else have the problem of distinguishing an individual from their avatar?

Because every time TripTrip says anything, I cannot help but imagine that it is 1L George Clooney offering sage advice, his smoldering eyes locked with mine.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:42 pm

I am George Clooney. That's my soft.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:43 pm

codyoneill wrote:Sidenote: Does anyone else have the problem of distinguishing an individual from their avatar?

Because every time TripTrip says anything, I cannot help but imagine that it is 1L George Clooney offering sage advice, his smoldering eyes locked with mine.
This always happens to me. Now imagine what it's like to read your posts

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”