Harvard Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
9%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
9%
Section 5
27%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
17%

Total votes: 75

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:19 am

t-14orbust wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote: Quoting me is pretty special for me :wink: .
CyanIdes Of March wrote: Quoting me is pretty special for me :wink: .
you so special, I had to quote you twice :wink:
8)
sasquatchsam wrote: Did they make you fill out the waiver application or was that just what they said it was if you qualified?
I had a fee waiver for the school's application (someone said you needed one to get the subsidy, not sure if that's 100 percent accurate but I mentioned I already had one in my initial e-mail). They then said I qualified for a $300 stipend based on where I'm from (Texas) and attached a form (Request Form + W9 Form) to complete to be sent back to them.

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:51 am

For ASW...
So the hotels near campus seem to be around $200 - $250 / night, which I am really not looking forward to paying. If anybody (preferably female - I'm female too, not trying to creep here) wants to get a room with 2 double beds and split the cost I would be up for that. I guess we're all going to be living together anyway, might as well save some cash now...

PM me for contact info!

charlie.black

Bronze

Post by charlie.black » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:19 pm

fyi, there are some b&b's in Cambridge that can be found for mid-100's. Cheaper option than some hotel.

sasquatchsam

Bronze

Post by sasquatchsam » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:19 pm

cway wrote:For ASW...
So the hotels near campus seem to be around $200 - $250 / night, which I am really not looking forward to paying. If anybody (preferably female - I'm female too, not trying to creep here) wants to get a room with 2 double beds and split the cost I would be up for that. I guess we're all going to be living together anyway, might as well save some cash now...

PM me for contact info!
The best deal I found on a hotel is the Sheraton Commander. It is normally $200/night but they are running a sale where if you stay two nights the second night is 40% off. It looks like the hotel is about a five minute walk from the law school.

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:27 pm

sasquatchsam wrote:

PM me for contact info!
The best deal I found on a hotel is the Sheraton Commander. It is normally $200/night but they are running a sale where if you stay two nights the second night is 40% off. It looks like the hotel is about a five minute walk from the law school.
Fantastic, thanks!

Edit: they only have pre-paid rooms left at the lower price, just fyi for anyone not ready to commit to the March ASW

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:44 pm

If anyone wants to potentially split a room at the $200/night rate for the March ASW, PM me. There's one non-TLSer that I know was interested as well but he might be staying with family.

I'm a guy, btw. And I'm not actually Noam Chomsky*.

*Even though, sharing a room with Noam Chomsky would probably make my IQ jump about 55 points

tls2175

Bronze

Post by tls2175 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:52 pm

cway wrote:
sasquatchsam wrote:

PM me for contact info!
Fantastic, thanks!

Edit: they only have pre-paid rooms left at the lower price, just fyi for anyone not ready to commit to the March ASW
Not sure if this will help, but HLS's website has a page that lists some accommodations near the school. Some have "special" Harvard rates. https://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective ... tions.html

Edit: missing word

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:58 pm

tls2175 wrote:Did I miss the NYC drinks (looks to me from the fb page like it didn't end up happening)?

Also, and stop me if this is not the appropriate forum to discuss this, but it seems if I choose HLS I will be funding 100% of my law school expenses with loans. I'm completely financially independent and my parents will not be making a significant contribution, if any, to my tuition/living expenses, but they make just enough that I don't seem to qualify for aid. In your opinion, is it still worth it to go to HLS and graduate with $275k+ debt (LST http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=harvard) rather than going to another t14 with a nice scholarship (not anything crazy like full ride but maybe 25%-50% covered)?
NYC Drinks: I think the plan fizzled, but I'd be up for getting a group together in January. It seems like we'd have a good crowd.

IMO, I think this is an appropriate forum to discuss HLS at sticker vs. T14 at discount.

Also, one thing you probably already looked at, but just in case: since you're already financially independent, are you going to be older than 26 at any point before September 1, 2016? Harvard (unlike most schools) recalculates your need-based aide every academic year. As you get older (starting at age 26) your parents' expected contribution shrinks by 25% each year, which seems like it could have a large impact in your case. And if you're over 29 years old before Sept. 1 of an academic year, their financial information isn't included at all in the need based calculation.

The sticker / discount choice seems (for me) to play on so many factors:
What school did the discount come from? Not all T14 are created equal.
Where do you want to work after graduation and for your career?
What will you regret more: maybe missing an opportunity to catch that brass ring or choosing to live with a ten year mega-mortgage?

I've been lucky enough to have this conversation with a few graduates of HLS and other T14 schools who are not affiliated in any way with the admissions office and range from a year out to ten years out. The consensus from them, before considerations of financial aid vs. scholarships was: if you get into Harvard/Yale/Stanford go there. Why? Because, if you want to be a lawyer (and it is surprising how many people go to law school and don't want to be lawyers), Harvard/Yale/Stanford guarantee the best opportunities, open the most doors, and offer the highest financial safety net (in terms of LIPP).

Direct quote from an e-mail correspondence I had with a recent HLS grad:
Overall, my career looks pretty open-ended at the moment, and I have an offer to go back to a large firm if I so choose after my clerkship. A nice thing about HLS is that the name recognition means I don't have to plan so far ahead to see what I'll do next... if you go to Harvard you should not have a hard time getting a Big Law job. Basically everyone gets one, and the only way to not would be to do absolutely terribly in all of your classes, two semesters in a row.
LST isn't able to bake that kind of career comfort into its statistics. Really, LST doesn't work well at separating the value of the top schools because it only (vaguely) shows where people did go, not where they could have gone. We're entering a prestige industry, where our law school's name will follow us for life. In such a place, school prestige has real value and will affect our career options and potential earnings, and it can make the law school financial decisions that much more difficult.

edit: I included "very" before "appropriate" and it felt gross upon rereading. Had to change.

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:13 pm

^This was very helpful. I'd appreciate hearing anyone else's thoughts about this topic, here or elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:13 pm

sasquatchsam wrote:

PM me for contact info!
Also - Hotel Veritas is $195 for Petite Queen or $220 for Two Double Beds at the Harvard rate. Their website says it requires a Harvard ID, but when you call they will give it to you without one.

tls2175

Bronze

Post by tls2175 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:26 pm

codyoneill wrote:NYC Drinks: I think the plan fizzled, but I'd be up for getting a group together in January. It seems like we'd have a good crowd.

IMO, I think this is an appropriate forum to discuss HLS at sticker vs. T14 at discount...
Thanks so much for this response! This is really helpful. A lot of what you said about the difference in total opportunities vs. result is something that I wasn't even thinking about (was just focused on results, as emphasized by LST). Something to think about...
And I second HorseThief's sentiment re hearing others' opinions on the matter.

And let's arrange those NYC drinks! Anyone up for either Saturday night of the 18 or 25?

brooklynbuckeye

New

Post by brooklynbuckeye » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:31 pm

Long time listener, first time caller...

Do people feel comfortable making travel plans for ASW at this point? The website says that you can't register for one until February...is there a chance that one's first choice could get "booked up" or do people pretty much get to go to whatever weekend they want?

NYC drinks: I'd be down for the 25th! Taking advantage of the three day weekend before to get out of town :D

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:48 pm

brooklynbuckeye wrote:Long time listener, first time caller...

Do people feel comfortable making travel plans for ASW at this point? The website says that you can't register for one until February...is there a chance that one's first choice could get "booked up" or do people pretty much get to go to whatever weekend they want?

NYC drinks: I'd be down for the 25th! Taking advantage of the three day weekend before to get out of town :D
I was wondering that too... I just made hotel reservations while there are rooms available, but they can be canceled until 2 days prior.

Also - I'm up for the 18th or 25th for drinks in NYC!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:49 pm

I called and asked and the woman replied, "no." If you want to attend a specific ASW, you will be able to.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:49 pm

cway wrote:

I was wondering that too... I just made hotel reservations while there are rooms available, but they can be canceled until 2 days prior.

What hotel did you book at?

cway

Bronze

Post by cway » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:52 pm

applelover wrote:
cway wrote:

What hotel did you book at?
Hotel Veritas - booked a room with 2 doubles and a petite queen, so I can decide later, depending on whether or not I can find someone to split the double room...

brooklynbuckeye

New

Post by brooklynbuckeye » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:36 pm

I booked a room on Air BnB. I've always had good experiences with air bnb and you can look at the reviews of past guests. There are rooms fairly close to campus for $80-$100+, and even cheaper rooms if you are willing to stay farther out, like Davis Square area, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:41 pm

Those prices are insane. Personally, I ignored the whole "Harvard rate" thing because using secondary sites like priceline are getting me much cheaper results.

I think the Sheraton Commander looks to be the cheapest option using those tools. This would be less stressful if Harvard helped defray costs.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:48 pm

https://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective ... hedule.pdf

Anyone know what 'Class Visits' encompasses? I'm trying to decide if the extra $30 plane ticket is worth it for the later flight or not.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:17 pm

brooklynbuckeye wrote:I booked a room on Air BnB. I've always had good experiences with air bnb and you can look at the reviews of past guests. There are rooms fairly close to campus for $80-$100+, and even cheaper rooms if you are willing to stay farther out, like Davis Square area, etc.
This is the credited way to go. Search in both Cambridge and Somerville. Plenty of places for $60/night within walking or easy transit to Harvard.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:47 pm

brooklynbuckeye wrote:I booked a room on Air BnB. I've always had good experiences with air bnb and you can look at the reviews of past guests. There are rooms fairly close to campus for $80-$100+, and even cheaper rooms if you are willing to stay farther out, like Davis Square area, etc.
Thank you for posting this. I hadn't heard of Air BnB and found a much better deal than the hotels. I've never stayed at a BnB so this should be interesting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brooklynbuckeye

New

Post by brooklynbuckeye » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Glad it helped! I was a little nervous the first time I used it (in Albania) but now I love it for making trips vaguely affordable :lol:

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:00 pm

What with the BnB and the subsidy, it looks like I'm able to keep that kidney after all!

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:47 pm

I know I'm way late to the party, but congrats to everyone on getting in to the Law School! I'm a deferred student from last year and just finished writing to admissions that I'm enrolling in the fall. It had been months since I thought about H, but that email got me so excited that I thought I'd show up here and say hi to everyone. I am looking forward to learning more about who's in our class and can't wait to get started in September!

Poison

New

Post by Poison » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 am

Of interest to the JD/MBA crowd, I found this paper written in '05 that analyzes survey results of Harvard JD/MBA alumni from the '70s onward. Very interesting read...

http://hbsguru.com/blog/wp-content/uplo ... mba-jd.pdf

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”