Harvard Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
9%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
9%
Section 5
27%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
17%

Total votes: 75

paglababa

Silver

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Post by paglababa » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:30 pm

chicky wrote:
politics89 wrote:
paglababa wrote:What do you think of traveling from Brookline for ASW? Especially since some of the events occur in bars downtown at night? Apparently from there to HLS I can take the Green line & transfer to the red for 45 mins or I can alternatively take the Q66 directly.

edit: Also if anyone wants to split a hotel or something I'm down to hear details if it's below $100?
I would not advise staying in Brookline. It's superr far away and the Green Line is hell on earth.
Damn, well that sucks. Anyone wanna split a hotel or AirBnB whole apt closer to Cambridge?

ShrimpToastMasters

Bronze

Post by ShrimpToastMasters » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:38 pm

How/where/what financial aid stuff do we submit as new admits?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:41 pm

I would appreciate some more perspectives on the Green Line. Everyone seems to agree that it isn't preferable but I'm wondering why exactly? Inconsistent? Crowded? Full of homeless? All of the above? thanks!

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:45 pm

Pneumonia wrote:I would appreciate some more perspectives on the Green Line. Everyone seems to agree that it isn't preferable but I'm wondering why exactly? Inconsistent? Crowded? Full of homeless? All of the above? thanks!
I could literally rant for hours about this. The worst part: there are stops every 5 feet so it takes forever to get anywhere because it's a constant start and stop. And this is all above ground because it's more of a trolley than it is a subway so you have to deal with the added bonus of traffic and stop lights. It is also really inconsistant. All the other lines now have apps and big signs up in stations that tell you how far away the trains are, but for some reason not Green. Also, they never seem to run enough cars so during rush hour it's packed (although this is generally a T problem). It also just runs through an area where lots of colleges are so you get annoying college kids.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:45 pm

Finally got my aid package back today (day 12) and it was not as much as I was expecting but very generous. It also hasn't calculated in the fact that my wife and I are expecting our first child in June yet but they said they will recalculate it when she gets here. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:47 pm

politics89 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:I would appreciate some more perspectives on the Green Line. Everyone seems to agree that it isn't preferable but I'm wondering why exactly? Inconsistent? Crowded? Full of homeless? All of the above? thanks!
I could literally rant for hours about this. The worst part: there are stops every 5 feet so it takes forever to get anywhere because it's a constant start and stop. And this is all above ground because it's more of a trolley than it is a subway so you have to deal with the added bonus of traffic and stop lights. It is also really inconsistant. All the other lines now have apps and big signs up in stations that tell you how far away the trains are, but for some reason not Green. Also, they never seem to run enough cars so during rush hour it's packed (although this is generally a T problem). It also just runs through an area where lots of colleges are so you get annoying college kids.
How late does it run on weekends? As long as it runs past midnight and I could go to the bar outings, I think I would be good.

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:50 pm

paglababa wrote:
politics89 wrote:
How late does it run on weekends? As long as it runs past midnight and I could go to the bar outings, I think I would be good.

They JUST extended hours so the last trains out of dowtown are like 2:30 am, which means you'd probably have to leave Harvard Square just past 2 to make it. But unless you're staying in Brookline for free, its definately not worth it. It's also just not really an area of Boston you would go to if you went to Harvard, if you're interested in getting a feel for the area.

chicky

New

Post by chicky » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:52 pm

politics89 wrote:
Taking the Green Line on a weekend night means you are guaranteed to get knocked over by a herd of undergrads who somehow still don't know how to stay upright on a moving train (and also don't know how to not be taking group pictures of themselves as they fail to remain upright on said train).

But the biggest issue for me is less the Green Line itself and more that it's incredibly inconvenient from Cambridge. You have to take the Red Line all the way in to a transfer stop and then take the Green Line all the way back out again. Bus options usually aren't any better, or will look better on Google Maps and then take a million hours anyway.

hop

New

Post by hop » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Congrats to all the new admits!

Happy to report I can now join the 2-month waiters book club; I received Interop: The Promise and Perils of Highly Interconnected Systems by John Palfrey and Urs Gasser.
Last edited by hop on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:11 pm

I also recently got my book, very PI oriented and matched my PS pretty well. It wasn't one I've seen posted on here before but it was something I'm excited to read. Also, law school things seem to be slowing down a bit for the first time in forever (2012 if you count LSAT studying). Once I get financial aid info I think the only thing I'll have left to do is make a decision. Such a weird feeling.

EvMont

Bronze

Post by EvMont » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:33 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:How/where/what financial aid stuff do we submit as new admits?
Give it a few days. You'll first get the confirmation email from JS. Then, you get an email from the IT department with a bunch of info about setting up your HLS email account. A few days after that, the finaid email arrives in your HLS inbox. Shouldn't take more than a week for all of this to happen.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Anyone familiar w the boston/cambridge area want to help me plan my commute from calumet street to HLS? lol

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:58 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Anyone familiar w the boston/cambridge area want to help me plan my commute from calumet street to HLS? lol
Yeah - I'd walk to Roxbury Crossing, Orange line toward oak grove and then switch at Downtown Crossing for the Red toward Alewife. Get off at Harvard Square. Not the quickest commute, but I would probably avoid the green line

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:04 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:Anyone familiar w the boston/cambridge area want to help me plan my commute from calumet street to HLS? lol
Yeah - I'd walk to Roxbury Crossing, Orange line toward oak grove and then switch at Downtown Crossing for the Red toward Alewife. Get off at Harvard Square. Not the quickest commute, but I would probably avoid the green line
Heads up, I'd also be careful around Roxbury Crossing.

Bronze

Post by 06162014123 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:07 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:13 pm

I got an airbnb right next to the law school and would be willing to let someone crash with me if anyone is looking for a couch.

Edit, found someone already. Thanks for all the PMs though; I've never felt so popular.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:29 pm

politics89 wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:
Heads up, I'd also be careful around Roxbury Crossing.
As someone who lived a few blocks from Roxbury Crossing for a few years, I'd say it's no less safe than anywhere else in downtown Boston late at night. Now if you go any further down the orange line or that sketchy part of Tremont Street or too far up the hill...good luck

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:59 pm

Did anyone else apply for any of those other scholarships? Or know anything about how much they are/how they decide who gets one?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:01 pm

politics89 wrote:Did anyone else apply for any of those other scholarships? Or know anything about how much they are/how they decide who gets one?
They are institutional rather than specific to the law school, and I bet most of them have their own criteria and/or selection committees.

wealtheow

Silver

Post by wealtheow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:02 pm

Got my e-mail. So I guess the JS2 WAS real. ^_____^

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:06 pm

wealtheow wrote:Got my e-mail. So I guess the JS2 WAS real. ^_____^
i'm sure it's been mentioned before, but the 1L2B email address is an awesome touch.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PotenC

Bronze

Post by PotenC » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:13 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
i'm sure it's been mentioned before, but the 1L2B email address is an awesome touch.
OOOHHHH. I FINALLY GET IT. I feel stupid. Image

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:35 pm

PotenC wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:
I admit I've been seeing those emails for like 3 or 4 months now and it never occurred to me til right now.

Fianna13

Bronze

Post by Fianna13 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:35 pm

wtrc wrote:
PotenC wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:
I admit I've been seeing those emails for like 3 or 4 months now and it never occurred to me til right now.
Wow, I just got it... I was confused by it when I first received the email. :roll:

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:37 pm

lastsamurai wrote:
thanks bud. Have any idea where you're going to deposit at yet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”