Duke Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

How's everyone feeling?

Super freaked out.
2
15%
Kind of freaked out.
1
8%
Freaked out...
2
15%
Thinking I should've been a blacksmith.
6
46%
My dad's a named partner, so...
2
15%
 
Total votes: 13

scoopDeeDoo
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby scoopDeeDoo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:57 pm

..
Last edited by scoopDeeDoo on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby drawstring » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:04 pm

You only need to fill in the Need Access if you're applying for need-based aid.

You could apply for merit-based aid only and submit that form immediately.

scoopDeeDoo
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby scoopDeeDoo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:08 pm

..
Last edited by scoopDeeDoo on Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby drawstring » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:13 pm

scoopDeeDoo wrote:
drawstring wrote:You only need to fill in the Need Access if you're applying for need-based aid.

You could apply for merit-based aid only and submit that form immediately.


So to hear back about the Mordecai before Jan 1, you have to forgo consideration for needs-based aid?


I'll retract an earlier comment I made. The link below suggests that all admitted students are considered for the Mordecai. The financial aid email says that people must complete the scholarship form to apply for merit-based scholarships, but the Mordecai isn't one that is applied for and the completion of the forms doesn't seem linked to Mordecai consideration.

http://law.duke.edu/admis/mordecai/

I doubt that receiving the financial aid forms is itself a bad sign (I don't see why Mordecai invitees wouldn't also get them--not all of them will get a Mordecai). The lack of an invitation to interview may be more telling, but it's still very early and I'm not sure of the timeline for those.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:14 am

I have an extremely low chance of obtaining need based aid due to my parents financial situation. Is there an advantage to forgoing the need based application in order to get the merit based app in sooner?

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby neprep » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:34 am

lawschool22 wrote:I have an extremely low chance of obtaining need based aid due to my parents financial situation. Is there an advantage to forgoing the need based application in order to get the merit based app in sooner?


Haha I swear I'm not stalking you from thread to thread, but I have a similar situation.

Also interested.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:46 am

neprep wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:I have an extremely low chance of obtaining need based aid due to my parents financial situation. Is there an advantage to forgoing the need based application in order to get the merit based app in sooner?


Haha I swear I'm not stalking you from thread to thread, but I have a similar situation.

Also interested.


Ha no worries - it was your post in the NYU thread that lead to me posting this. And besides, I think we're the only ones on TLS at this time on a saturday morning.

Nooblarzlarz
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Anyone have any idea what the pros/cons are of applying for merit-based aid vs merit+need-based? Above both 75ths and parents aren't providing any money, if that helps at all.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:03 am

Checking in. Not committed to Duke, but first acceptance of the cycle and it's very exciting!

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Is the financial aid application on the admitted students website the same thing they've been sending out? One page, basically just asks if you want to be considered for merit only or merit+need? If that's it, I might fill it out now rather than waiting for them to send it to me.

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby neprep » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:27 pm

midwest17 wrote:Is the financial aid application on the admitted students website the same thing they've been sending out? One page, basically just asks if you want to be considered for merit only or merit+need? If that's it, I might fill it out now rather than waiting for them to send it to me.


Well if you want them to consider you for need+merit, then you need to wait until submitting Need Access (available 1/1) before sending the Duke one.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:41 pm

neprep wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Is the financial aid application on the admitted students website the same thing they've been sending out? One page, basically just asks if you want to be considered for merit only or merit+need? If that's it, I might fill it out now rather than waiting for them to send it to me.


Well if you want them to consider you for need+merit, then you need to wait until submitting Need Access (available 1/1) before sending the Duke one.


Oh really? I thought that you could indicate need+merit on the form, and then they'd consider you for need after Need Access becomes available. Guess I'll wait then.

User avatar
JMKeynes
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:35 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby JMKeynes » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:42 pm

EDer here so I'm already deposited and ready to go for the fall.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:56 pm

I received a really nice package from Duke yesterday. It had the letter, some view books, a litt enit of swag etc. Sp be on the lookout for it!

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:37 am

HI : D

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:58 am

midwest17 wrote:
neprep wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Is the financial aid application on the admitted students website the same thing they've been sending out? One page, basically just asks if you want to be considered for merit only or merit+need? If that's it, I might fill it out now rather than waiting for them to send it to me.


Well if you want them to consider you for need+merit, then you need to wait until submitting Need Access (available 1/1) before sending the Duke one.


Oh really? I thought that you could indicate need+merit on the form, and then they'd consider you for need after Need Access becomes available. Guess I'll wait then.


I now see that on the form. Whoops. Not getting this law school careful reading thing off to a good start.

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby neprep » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:25 am

midwest17 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
neprep wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Is the financial aid application on the admitted students website the same thing they've been sending out? One page, basically just asks if you want to be considered for merit only or merit+need? If that's it, I might fill it out now rather than waiting for them to send it to me.


Well if you want them to consider you for need+merit, then you need to wait until submitting Need Access (available 1/1) before sending the Duke one.


Oh really? I thought that you could indicate need+merit on the form, and then they'd consider you for need after Need Access becomes available. Guess I'll wait then.


I now see that on the form. Whoops. Not getting this law school careful reading thing off to a good start.


Hahaha

k345
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby k345 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:15 pm

JMKeynes wrote:EDer here so I'm already deposited and ready to go for the fall.


Same here - I am so excited!

User avatar
JMKeynes
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:35 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby JMKeynes » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:50 pm

Is there a Duke Law Class of 2017 Admitted Students Facebook page set up? Searched but didn't find one.

Nooblarzlarz
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:07 am

JMKeynes wrote:Is there a Duke Law Class of 2017 Admitted Students Facebook page set up? Searched but didn't find one.

I don't see it, but I can see groups for the past 3 years, so I'm guessing it's not up yet.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:13 am

Someone should set one up

Nooblarzlarz
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:21 am

lawschool22 wrote:Someone should set one up

I figured the law school did that.

Workingtitle
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Workingtitle » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:09 pm

So has anyone gotten an invite to interview for the Mordecai?

carolinainmymind
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby carolinainmymind » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:38 am

Mordecai invite this morning! Also checking in I suppose. If I were to receive the Mordecai, then I would most likely be attending Duke next year regardless of other acceptances.

Does anyone have any concept on the # of Mordecai invites? I see on the website that 4-8 students receive it, I suppose that's annually.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:39 am

Nooblarzlarz wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:Someone should set one up

I figured the law school did that.


Oh yeah you're right - momentary brain lapse on my part :)




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest