Duke Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

How's everyone feeling?

Super freaked out.
2
15%
Kind of freaked out.
1
8%
Freaked out...
2
15%
Thinking I should've been a blacksmith.
6
46%
My dad's a named partner, so...
2
15%
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8843
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:28 pm


carolinainmymind
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby carolinainmymind » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:16 am


User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby 06102016 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:54 am

..

carolinainmymind
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby carolinainmymind » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:04 am


User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8843
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:07 am


User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby 06102016 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:16 am

..

Hank Rearden
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Hank Rearden » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:45 am

Not sure if you guys have seen this class rank estimator, since Duke conveniently doesn't tell us where we fall.

It varies widely depending on how the distribution is set, but it'll help you get an idea:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157992

I used the 3.5 "quartile" from Rule 3.3 as the sample and tested at both 20% and 40% of the class being within that range; it gives a pretty varied but semi-accurate answer, if you're curious.

alrokersface
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby alrokersface » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:08 am

Hank Rearden wrote:Not sure if you guys have seen this class rank estimator, since Duke conveniently doesn't tell us where we fall.

It varies widely depending on how the distribution is set, but it'll help you get an idea:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157992

I used the 3.5 "quartile" from Rule 3.3 as the sample and tested at both 20% and 40% of the class being within that range; it gives a pretty varied but semi-accurate answer, if you're curious.


Thanks for sharing--that is such a huge range of possibilities as to what my rank could be! Oh well--ignorance is bliss.

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby 06102016 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:50 am

..

racrfish
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby racrfish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:11 am

Hank Rearden wrote:Not sure if you guys have seen this class rank estimator, since Duke conveniently doesn't tell us where we fall.

It varies widely depending on how the distribution is set, but it'll help you get an idea:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157992

I used the 3.5 "quartile" from Rule 3.3 as the sample and tested at both 20% and 40% of the class being within that range; it gives a pretty varied but semi-accurate answer, if you're curious.


Unfortunately using the data from that rule isn't going to be accurate because the distribution of GPAs doesn't shake out the way the exam curve's distribution does. The only sort of general data points we have are that median is usually somewhere slightly above 3.3, with most folks between 3.2-3.4, and the bottom of the top third being somewhere between 3.4 and 3.5.

(This is based on career office advice, and is only a rough guide so take it with a grain of salt. Plus it does vary year to year.) So yeah, there's not much point worrying about it because it's not like employers know the data points either.

Hank Rearden
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Hank Rearden » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:22 pm

racrfish wrote:Unfortunately using the data from that rule isn't going to be accurate because the distribution of GPAs doesn't shake out the way the exam curve's distribution does. The only sort of general data points we have are that median is usually somewhere slightly above 3.3, with most folks between 3.2-3.4, and the bottom of the top third being somewhere between 3.4 and 3.5.

(This is based on career office advice, and is only a rough guide so take it with a grain of salt. Plus it does vary year to year.) So yeah, there's not much point worrying about it because it's not like employers know the data points either.


Agreed. I wasn't inferring we could magically know where we fall, and I also understand the non-curved nature of class rank based on our individually curved courses. I just thought it's a novel way to get a rough idea.

Edit:

slackademic wrote:Worrying about rank is pretty useless when you can't know for sure.


I can be interested in a distribution without being worried, but thanks.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Did y'all know they're doing skype interviews this year that help determine merit aid?

That's like the Georgetown scholarship email, but in real-time. :shock:

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8843
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:50 pm

For posterity's sake, Duke released grades today, Thursday, June 4. Grades were due on June 1, and the last final was back on May 1. Happy waiting, future 1Ls!

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 am

Hope everyone's having a good summer. I was googling for last year's OCI thread when I saw one of us has started one for this year. Thought I'd link it here.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=249676&p=8687747#p8687747

DOOK101
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:39 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby DOOK101 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:12 am

For posterity's sake, Journal results were released yesterday, 7/12, at 10:00AM via email.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:20 pm

edit: oops wrong thread

legallybrunette93
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby legallybrunette93 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi, 1L here. Does anyone have an outline for Lemos's Civ Pro class that they'd be willing to share? We have the midterm coming up in a few weeks and I was planning to start outlining this weekend but wanted some guidance, thanks!! :D

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8843
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:47 pm

legallybrunette93 wrote:Hi, 1L here. Does anyone have an outline for Lemos's Civ Pro class that they'd be willing to share? We have the midterm coming up in a few weeks and I was planning to start outlining this weekend but wanted some guidance, thanks!! :D


Lemos didn't teach 1L Civ Pro for us (or the 3Ls, for that matter). Closest you'll get is another professor's outline or finding some Cardozo Law students to ask, as it looks like she taught there previously.

User avatar
zozo1717
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:25 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby zozo1717 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:14 am

To any current Duke law students who need a summer subletter - my husband and I are currently living in Durham (moving late summer to Michigan for law school) and our house sold really, really FAST (a few hours). We need a place to rent for a couple of months so we can stay in the area until late July/August. 1bd or 2 bd is OK, but we'd prefer no roommates. We also have two small/medium doggies, so the apartment needs to be dog friendly.

If you have something available just shoot me a PM. Thanks!




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest