Duke Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

How's everyone feeling?

Super freaked out.
2
15%
Kind of freaked out.
1
8%
Freaked out...
2
15%
Thinking I should've been a blacksmith.
6
46%
My dad's a named partner, so...
2
15%
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8919
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:57 pm

johnjay wrote:Have y'all been buying the books listed as optional?


Not yet, as I'm waiting to see just how recommended or necessary they are. I only have optional texts listed for Civ Pro with Sachs, anyway.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1403
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 pm

FYI - I saw this posted in the ask a law student forum:

http://www.bigwords.com/

Hahalollawl
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Hahalollawl » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:18 am

Hey, what are you guys doing for health insurance (if you're not on someone else's plan)? Duke SMIP? Some kind of Medicaid or Obamacare plan? Is it possible to get your Healthcare subsidized?

User avatar
OliveBC
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby OliveBC » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:53 am

If anyone is interested the Civ Pro tab for Sachs' class (syllabus, resources, etc) is up on Sakai now

User avatar
retaking23
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby retaking23 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:39 am

Hahalollawl wrote:Hey, what are you guys doing for health insurance (if you're not on someone else's plan)? Duke SMIP? Some kind of Medicaid or Obamacare plan? Is it possible to get your Healthcare subsidized?


SMIP and it sucks because I'm on Medicaid in my home state. I think I'd have to establish NC residency before I can get Medicaid at Duke which would be a pain because I plan on coming back every summer break anyway and then I'd be without coverage then. If anyone has a cheap alternative solution for out of state students, I'd be very interested.

racrfish wrote:
bluebonnetss wrote:I'm able to see my schedule, but not the books I need for the classes? What am I doing wrong?



Go here, put in your classes and sections to get your books: "http://www.dukestores.duke.edu/textbook.php"


Would it be wise to wait until classes begin to purchase books (like was the case in undergrad, at least for me)? Or are we expected to purchase our books and be up to date with the readings from the first day of classes? Don't want to start off behind but don't want to be too neurotic about this whole thing either.

carolinainmymind
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby carolinainmymind » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:53 am

FYI - The legal writing class sections are up on ACES now as well.

carolinainmymind
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby carolinainmymind » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:12 am

Also, the Foundations course is up as well. Enrollment for Foundations is 222, maybe that's the final class size number.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1403
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:26 am

Damn, section 6 is reppin TLS hard!

Better for me. I wouldn't want to be with all y'all TLS strivers anyways. :wink:

racrfish
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby racrfish » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:39 am

retaking23 wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:Hey, what are you guys doing for health insurance (if you're not on someone else's plan)? Duke SMIP? Some kind of Medicaid or Obamacare plan? Is it possible to get your Healthcare subsidized?


SMIP and it sucks because I'm on Medicaid in my home state. I think I'd have to establish NC residency before I can get Medicaid at Duke which would be a pain because I plan on coming back every summer break anyway and then I'd be without coverage then. If anyone has a cheap alternative solution for out of state students, I'd be very interested.

racrfish wrote:
bluebonnetss wrote:I'm able to see my schedule, but not the books I need for the classes? What am I doing wrong?



Go here, put in your classes and sections to get your books: "http://www.dukestores.duke.edu/textbook.php"


Would it be wise to wait until classes begin to purchase books (like was the case in undergrad, at least for me)? Or are we expected to purchase our books and be up to date with the readings from the first day of classes? Don't want to start off behind but don't want to be too neurotic about this whole thing either.


Purchase books now. You will have a lot of reading to do for the first day of class. And every day after that. If you wait you'll have to mooch off others or the library to get your work done which is an unnecessary stress.

This isn't like undergrad where the first day is just going over the syllabus. You'll get cold called the first day of class, too.

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4910
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby CaptainLeela » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:54 am

racrfish wrote:Purchase books now. You will have a lot of reading to do for the first day of class. And every day after that. If you wait you'll have to mooch off others or the library to get your work done which is an unnecessary stress.

This isn't like undergrad where the first day is just going over the syllabus. You'll get cold called the first day of class, too.

To follow-up: do not be the guy who gets cold called on the first day and has to admit to not having done the reading. DO NOT BE THAT GUY.

Also, I have lots of supplements that were given to me that I am happy to gift on. PM me for what I have and welcome to Duke.

User avatar
JingoFett
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby JingoFett » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Section 5, I see we're reppin' one other person. Feel free to PM me

Hahalollawl
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Hahalollawl » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:51 pm

BTW did anyone decide to do the mentor thing? I think the form was due yesterday?

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4910
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby CaptainLeela » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:BTW did anyone decide to do the mentor thing? I think the form was due yesterday?

Let me mentor you!!

And by mentor you, I mean I'll buy you a beer, let you complain as needed, and then commiserate by saying I still don't know anything. Welcome to 2L!

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1403
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:37 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:BTW did anyone decide to do the mentor thing? I think the form was due yesterday?


I did. I figured, why not?

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8919
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:41 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:BTW did anyone decide to do the mentor thing? I think the form was due yesterday?


I did. I figured, why not?


Also did.

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby KatyMarie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Serett wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:BTW did anyone decide to do the mentor thing? I think the form was due yesterday?


I did. I figured, why not?


Also did.


Me too. I think it's a cool idea actually.

Hank Rearden
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Hank Rearden » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Serett wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:BTW did anyone decide to do the mentor thing? I think the form was due yesterday?


I did. I figured, why not?


Also did.


+1

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1403
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:07 am

Where the heck is our loan disbursement?

Image

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8919
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:20 am

I saved up for my first year of living expenses, so I need the loan money less than I need to stop buying things.*

*But I totally needed new rear speakers because they didn't match the impedance on my receiver! And I had to try Chick Fil-A, Bojangles, PDQ, and Church's Chicken at least once...okay, maybe three times for Bojangles... :roll:

carolinainmymind
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby carolinainmymind » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:26 am

Serett wrote:I saved up for my first year of living expenses, so I need the loan money less than I need to stop buying things.*

*But I totally needed new rear speakers because they didn't match the impedance on my receiver! And I had to try Chick Fil-A, Bojangles, PDQ, and Church's Chicken at least once...okay, maybe three times for Bojangles... :roll:


Bojangles, so good. Can't resist.

User avatar
retaking23
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby retaking23 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:30 am

Ok, I'm pretty sure my financial aid was/is being disbursed. Under bursar info in aces, under the account activity tab, I have a negative balance which is the amount that should be wired to my bank for living expenses, right???

I suppose I'll call my bank in a bit just to confirm, but the point is, it's happening so give it until noon peeps.

gta
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby gta » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:44 am

Serett wrote:I saved up for my first year of living expenses, so I need the loan money less than I need to stop buying things.*

*But I totally needed new rear speakers because they didn't match the impedance on my receiver! And I had to try Chick Fil-A, Bojangles, PDQ, and Church's Chicken at least once...okay, maybe three times for Bojangles... :roll:


Cook-Out was the local place that I had to check out right away. Delicious. Probably not good that they have one so close to Pinnacle Ridge...

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8919
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:50 am

carolinainmymind wrote:
Serett wrote:I saved up for my first year of living expenses, so I need the loan money less than I need to stop buying things.*

*But I totally needed new rear speakers because they didn't match the impedance on my receiver! And I had to try Chick Fil-A, Bojangles, PDQ, and Church's Chicken at least once...okay, maybe three times for Bojangles... :roll:


Bojangles, so good. Can't resist.


And I live right freaking next to the one by Lowes. It's so cheap, too. ~$6.25 for a breast and wing, fries, biscuit, and drink?!

gta wrote:
Serett wrote:I saved up for my first year of living expenses, so I need the loan money less than I need to stop buying things.*

*But I totally needed new rear speakers because they didn't match the impedance on my receiver! And I had to try Chick Fil-A, Bojangles, PDQ, and Church's Chicken at least once...okay, maybe three times for Bojangles... :roll:


Cook-Out was the local place that I had to check out right away. Delicious. Probably not good that they have one so close to Pinnacle Ridge...


Guess I'm not laying off yet :lol:

carolinainmymind
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby carolinainmymind » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:16 am

Serett wrote:
carolinainmymind wrote:
Serett wrote:I saved up for my first year of living expenses, so I need the loan money less than I need to stop buying things.*

*But I totally needed new rear speakers because they didn't match the impedance on my receiver! And I had to try Chick Fil-A, Bojangles, PDQ, and Church's Chicken at least once...okay, maybe three times for Bojangles... :roll:


Bojangles, so good. Can't resist.


And I live right freaking next to the one by Lowes. It's so cheap, too. ~$6.25 for a breast and wing, fries, biscuit, and drink?!

gta wrote:
Serett wrote:I saved up for my first year of living expenses, so I need the loan money less than I need to stop buying things.*

*But I totally needed new rear speakers because they didn't match the impedance on my receiver! And I had to try Chick Fil-A, Bojangles, PDQ, and Church's Chicken at least once...okay, maybe three times for Bojangles... :roll:


Cook-Out was the local place that I had to check out right away. Delicious. Probably not good that they have one so close to Pinnacle Ridge...


Guess I'm not laying off yet :lol:


Cook-Out is so cheap, too. Their prices don't even make sense.

User avatar
OliveBC
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby OliveBC » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:24 am

you guys are making me hungry




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest