Duke Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

How's everyone feeling?

Super freaked out.
2
15%
Kind of freaked out.
1
8%
Freaked out...
2
15%
Thinking I should've been a blacksmith.
6
46%
My dad's a named partner, so...
2
15%
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:09 pm

Serett wrote:
gta wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:More important than the fast approaching start date of law school is the almost as quickly approaching start of the NFL season.

Who wants to do a fantasy league?


Count me in. Even if my Vikings have another terrible year, my fantasy team will hopefully have a... slightly better season!


My one, hard rule in fantasy football is that I don't draft players from my own (disappointing) team :D


I made that mistake last year when I mistakenly thought the Falcons had a chance to win it all. I couldn't have been more wrong... :?

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8698
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:28 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Serett wrote:
gta wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:More important than the fast approaching start date of law school is the almost as quickly approaching start of the NFL season.

Who wants to do a fantasy league?


Count me in. Even if my Vikings have another terrible year, my fantasy team will hopefully have a... slightly better season!


My one, hard rule in fantasy football is that I don't draft players from my own (disappointing) team :D


I made that mistake last year when I mistakenly thought the Falcons had a chance to win it all. I couldn't have been more wrong... :?


Honestly, I think everyone was wrong on that. That was one of the most unexpected capitulations I can recall. I actually traded for Julio Jones and Matt Ryan a week or two before Jones's injury, and part of that trade involved me shipping Payton Manning and Knowshon Moreno.

I still won that league somehow.

User avatar
PB&J.D.
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby PB&J.D. » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Serett wrote:...part of that trade involved me shipping Payton Manning and Knowshon Moreno...I still won that league somehow.

:shock:

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8698
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:06 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:
Serett wrote:...part of that trade involved me shipping Payton Manning and Knowshon Moreno...I still won that league somehow.

:shock:


And against the team to which I made that trade, no less. Really, I got two teams to the final match :lol:

The trade (in a 12-man league) was on 9/12 and involved me sending Manning, Moreno, and Torrey Smith for Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and DeMarco Murray. Someone else in the league called me a trade rapist immediately after it lol. I know it looks insane in retrospect, but I stand by it being logical at the time. Manning to Ryan was a clear downgrade, but Ryan was a top-5 or 6 fantasy QB the previous season (2012) and seemed prime to just get better with the addition of Steven Jackson. Moreno ****ing exploded last season, but with that questionable backfield and drafting Ball, there was no good reason to expect it. I tried to sell him high after a good first game expecting his role in the backfield to erode as the season went by. Murray, on the other hand, had a lot of upside if he could stay healthy (and indeed ended up as the eigth-ranked back in the league). Finally, one could reasonably have expected a top-3 WR performance from Julio, a clear upgrade over Torrey Smith, and his injury is probably the only reason that didn't occur.

My line-up at season's end still contained (bench included):

QB: Philllip Rivers, Matt Ryan
RB: LeSean McCoy, Andre Brown, Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson (courtesy of a later trade and how Murray isn't still here)
WR: Eric Decker, Keenan Allen, Pierre Garcon, Victor Cruz, Harry Douglas, Julian Edelman
TE: Greg Olsen
D/ST: Panthers
K: Gostkowski

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby KatyMarie » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:41 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:I made that mistake last year when I mistakenly thought the Falcons had a chance to win it all. I couldn't have been more wrong... :?


Ugh. I know. That was so awful and sad. We gotta rise up big time this season... I wonder if there's a Falcons bar in the triangle.

User avatar
PB&J.D.
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby PB&J.D. » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Serett wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote:
Serett wrote:...part of that trade involved me shipping Payton Manning and Knowshon Moreno...I still won that league somehow.

:shock:


And against the team to which I made that trade, no less. Really, I got two teams to the final match :lol:

The trade (in a 12-man league) was on 9/12 and involved me sending Manning, Moreno, and Torrey Smith for Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and DeMarco Murray. Someone else in the league called me a trade rapist immediately after it lol. I know it looks insane in retrospect, but I stand by it being logical at the time. Manning to Ryan was a clear downgrade, but Ryan was a top-5 or 6 fantasy QB the previous season (2012) and seemed prime to just get better with the addition of Steven Jackson. Moreno ****ing exploded last season, but with that questionable backfield and drafting Ball, there was no good reason to expect it. I tried to sell him high after a good first game expecting his role in the backfield to erode as the season went by. Murray, on the other hand, had a lot of upside if he could stay healthy (and indeed ended up as the eigth-ranked back in the league). Finally, one could reasonably have expected a top-3 WR performance from Julio, a clear upgrade over Torrey Smith, and his injury is probably the only reason that didn't occur.

My line-up at season's end still contained (bench included):

QB: Philllip Rivers, Matt Ryan
RB: LeSean McCoy, Andre Brown, Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson (courtesy of a later trade and how Murray isn't still here)
WR: Eric Decker, Keenan Allen, Pierre Garcon, Victor Cruz, Harry Douglas, Julian Edelman
TE: Greg Olsen
D/ST: Panthers
K: Gostkowski


You must be one helluva GM on draft day haha

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:42 pm

"We ask that you set aside three hours... to complete the briefing assignment."

Three hours until the World Cup Finals.

Challenge accepted. 8)

User avatar
retaking23
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby retaking23 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:36 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:"We ask that you set aside three hours... to complete the briefing assignment."

Three hours until the World Cup Finals.

Challenge accepted. 8)


I'm still confused as to why we would need three hours to do this. Its just a specialized summary of a four page opinion, after all.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:21 pm

retaking23 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:"We ask that you set aside three hours... to complete the briefing assignment."

Three hours until the World Cup Finals.

Challenge accepted. 8)


I'm still confused as to why we would need three hours to do this. Its just a specialized summary of a four page opinion, after all.


Because it includes TLS distraction time.

User avatar
PB&J.D.
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby PB&J.D. » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:19 pm

Just finished the brief. It's too bad all of our cases won't be this short & sweet. That being said, I'm sure I screwed something up somewhere.

Also, I didn't even think about the time difference for the submission deadline. Close call haha

User avatar
JingoFett
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby JingoFett » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:04 am

Is anyone thinking of doing the Campout for basketball tix? Will we even have time to go to games as 1Ls?

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby 06102016 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:08 am

..

User avatar
JingoFett
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby JingoFett » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:19 am

slackademic wrote:
JingoFett wrote:Is anyone thinking of doing the Campout for basketball tix? Will we even have time to go to games as 1Ls?


The way to do it is get a group of people and agree that if one of you wins a season pass, you will divide up the games and share it.



Awesome advice slackademic....

Well, in that case, anyone on here thinking about getting a group together?

User avatar
PB&J.D.
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby PB&J.D. » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:30 am

JingoFett wrote:Well, in that case, anyone on here thinking about getting a group together?


I'd be down for that.

FluffMonster
Posts: 2205
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby FluffMonster » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:02 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:Just finished the brief. It's too bad all of our cases won't be this short & sweet. That being said, I'm sure I screwed something up somewhere.

Also, I didn't even think about the time difference for the submission deadline. Close call haha


I finished it last night with 5 minutes to spare. Procrastination at its finest. 8)

gta
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby gta » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:57 pm

slackademic wrote:
JingoFett wrote:Is anyone thinking of doing the Campout for basketball tix? Will we even have time to go to games as 1Ls?

You will have time to go to basketball games and you should probably go. It depends on where you're at in your life, what you want to do while you're at Duke, etc, but generally it seems like the right move.

This is how a lot of people met at the beginning of the year.

The way to do it is get a group of people and agree that if one of you wins a season pass, you will divide up the games and share it.

Even if you don't go, it's pretty nice being able to give the ticket pass to a friend.


What are the odds of getting tickets?

User avatar
Aawaldrop
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Aawaldrop » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:01 pm

gta wrote:
slackademic wrote:
JingoFett wrote:Is anyone thinking of doing the Campout for basketball tix? Will we even have time to go to games as 1Ls?

You will have time to go to basketball games and you should probably go. It depends on where you're at in your life, what you want to do while you're at Duke, etc, but generally it seems like the right move.

This is how a lot of people met at the beginning of the year.

The way to do it is get a group of people and agree that if one of you wins a season pass, you will divide up the games and share it.

Even if you don't go, it's pretty nice being able to give the ticket pass to a friend.


What are the odds of getting tickets?


Odds depend on turnout but it was 6/10 for my group this past year. Also, I highly recommend going to campout.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:12 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:
JingoFett wrote:Well, in that case, anyone on here thinking about getting a group together?


I'd be down for that.


Ditto.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Alright everyone, here's a link to the form for the 1L fantasy football league. It seems like everyone wants ESPN, which is my preferred site as well. If we have enough people we can consider having two leagues. However, based on the TLS c/o 2017 OP, that would require almost every active user in this thread, so I doubt it will happen.

I'll put the link it in the OP for a brief time as well.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1izDAfBN-c8yXdD5MZEdOTChWAeH9LgNJq5k4WGEpbmI/viewform?usp=send_form

Any ideas for a new poll?

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8698
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:29 pm

Have we done a "from where are you coming?" poll yet? Regions of the country + international.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:26 pm

Serett wrote:Have we done a "from where are you coming?" poll yet? Regions of the country + international.


I like this. Doing it now.

edit: I originally had some of the categories separate, like New England and Mid Atlantic or Pacific Northwest and California, but combined them due to the relatively small number of active users ITT. If this is blasphemous, just say so and I'll make the choices a bit more granular.

User avatar
OliveBC
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby OliveBC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:50 am

SplitMyPants wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote:
JingoFett wrote:Well, in that case, anyone on here thinking about getting a group together?


I'd be down for that.


Ditto.


+1 I'm definitely going


Also I'm currently laying on the floor of my apartment in pinnacle ridge after moving in yesterday and for anyone else who's going to be in pinnacle it's really nice (the apartment in general not just the floor lol)

User avatar
JingoFett
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby JingoFett » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:49 am

OliveBC wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote:
JingoFett wrote:Well, in that case, anyone on here thinking about getting a group together?


I'd be down for that.


Ditto.


+1 I'm definitely going


Also I'm currently laying on the floor of my apartment in pinnacle ridge after moving in yesterday and for anyone else who's going to be in pinnacle it's really nice (the apartment in general not just the floor lol)


awesome! looks like we'll have a great showing. Closer to the event I can put together a facebook group or something.

Olive, I'm in Pinnacle too but I don't move in for a bit. Was move-in much of a hassle? What floor do you live on

User avatar
OliveBC
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby OliveBC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:33 am

JingoFett wrote:Olive, I'm in Pinnacle too but I don't move in for a bit. Was move-in much of a hassle? What floor do you live on


Nice, seems like a pretty substantial number of TLSers will be there! As far as move in goes, getting the keys and all that was pretty painless. I'm on the 3rd floor, but because the building is on a hill we only had to drag my stuff up one flight of stairs (thank god :lol: ) It was as easy and enjoyable as moving can really be, although I would recommend having more help than just your sister and picking a day to move in that doesn't have a high of 95 degrees...

User avatar
JingoFett
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby JingoFett » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:36 am

OliveBC wrote:
JingoFett wrote:Olive, I'm in Pinnacle too but I don't move in for a bit. Was move-in much of a hassle? What floor do you live on


Nice, seems like a pretty substantial number of TLSers will be there! As far as move in goes, getting the keys and all that was pretty painless. I'm on the 3rd floor, but because the building is on a hill we only had to drag my stuff up one flight of stairs (thank god :lol: ) It was as easy and enjoyable as moving can really be, although I would recommend having more help than just your sister and picking a day to move in that doesn't have a high of 95 degrees...


haha i'll definitely check the forecast. I'm on the first floor so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Unfortunately, I actually just found out today my truck is totaled so now I gotta figure out a new car situtaion for down at school. The struggle.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest