Duke Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

How's everyone feeling?

Super freaked out.
2
15%
Kind of freaked out.
1
8%
Freaked out...
2
15%
Thinking I should've been a blacksmith.
6
46%
My dad's a named partner, so...
2
15%
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:52 pm

bluebonnetss wrote:just officially committed to Duke! excited to see yall in just a few months!


nice! congrats!

johnjay
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby johnjay » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:19 am

Anyone know when we should expect to get our course schedules for the fall?

racrfish
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby racrfish » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:56 am

johnjay wrote:Anyone know when we should expect to get our course schedules for the fall?


Not until August. Usually the week before LEAD week.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:49 pm

New poll!

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8868
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:53 pm

First weekend in August, here.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Now I'm hungry. Can't wait to try some of these places:

http://www.gq.com/food-travel/201406/best-college-towns?currentPage=2

Hahalollawl
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Hahalollawl » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:20 pm

Hey all,

I got in off the waitlist recently and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to try to get good housing (convenient, reasonably nice area, etc.) at this point? How much of a commute should I expect? Thanks!

User avatar
PB&J.D.
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby PB&J.D. » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:Hey all,

I got in off the waitlist recently and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to try to get good housing (convenient, reasonably nice area, etc.) at this point? How much of a commute should I expect? Thanks!


+1. I'm going out this month or early next to try to lock something up.

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8868
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:08 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:Hey all,

I got in off the waitlist recently and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to try to get good housing (convenient, reasonably nice area, etc.) at this point? How much of a commute should I expect? Thanks!


+1. I'm going out this month or early next to try to lock something up.


I wouldn't expect it to be terribly difficult, as long as you'll have a car. If you're planning on walking/biking, choices could be more limited but are in all probability still plentiful enough, if you're willing to pay the price. There is an abundance of nice-enough to nice apartment complexes within 5-6 miles of the law school, and most/all of them have had at least a few openings through all of Spring (and now into Summer). Assuming the student renting population in the area is roughly the same throughout the school year (and ignoring non-student renters as not following any mass seasonal pattern), I doubt you'll have trouble finding something suitable.

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby KatyMarie » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:13 am

PB&J.D. wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:Hey all,

I got in off the waitlist recently and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to try to get good housing (convenient, reasonably nice area, etc.) at this point? How much of a commute should I expect? Thanks!


+1. I'm going out this month or early next to try to lock something up.


Even if you're looking outside of apartment complexes and want a yard and more space or whatever, you should still be alright I think. I was easily able to find a room in a single family house with a couple of other grad students for cheap just two weeks ago.

SHR421
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SHR421 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:06 pm

I also just got in off the waitlist and am trying to find a place to live! Would people suggest looking at craigslist or is there another source of information we should be using?

Thanks!

Hahalollawl
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Hahalollawl » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:17 pm

What if I'm not going to have a car? Any suggestions? Maybe I can find a fellow student to catch a ride with? :D Or is there some other form of transportation that makes sense? And what areas should I be looking at if I'm not going to have a car? Thanks in advance!

racrfish
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby racrfish » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:14 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:What if I'm not going to have a car? Any suggestions? Maybe I can find a fellow student to catch a ride with? :D Or is there some other form of transportation that makes sense? And what areas should I be looking at if I'm not going to have a car? Thanks in advance!


All the answers you seek are a few pages back in this thread/in the "duke 1L taking questions" thread. (I'm not being snarky btw, all of those issues were addressed herein.)

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:59 am

Officially approved at Pinnacle Ridge! Looking forward to living near everyone else who will be there.

User avatar
retaking23
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby retaking23 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:18 pm

For those who've completed their immunization stuff (and, I presume, most ITT are not nearly as lazy as me and have), regarding the online health history form, in particular the family medical history portion, can anyone spot one of those "starred * boxes" that we're instructed to tick off if we do not know of any family health issues?

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8868
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:46 pm

retaking23 wrote:For those who've completed their immunization stuff (and, I presume, most ITT are not nearly as lazy as me and have), regarding the online health history form, in particular the family medical history portion, can anyone spot one of those "starred * boxes" that we're instructed to tick off if we do not know of any family health issues?


I don't remember and can't access them again, sorry. But you really have no family health issues?!

User avatar
retaking23
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby retaking23 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Serett wrote:I don't remember and can't access them again, sorry. But you really have no family health issues?!


I almost certainly do. Who doesn't, right? But, I'm from one of those parts of the world where people don't go to the doctor's unless they are practically on their deathbeds, and, even then, they might not bother with the all expensive quacks. I know of people in my family who have diabetes, hypertension, and the other usual suspects, but the data is not sufficient enough for me to say that Cousin Billy Joe's echolalia constitutes family problems as opposed to being a one-off incidence.

For others in a similar boat, and from your comment, it is clear to me that there might not be another, but just in case: I couldn't find that starred box so I wrote my bit in the additional comments section.

User avatar
Serett
Posts: 8868
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Serett » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:08 pm

retaking23 wrote:
Serett wrote:I don't remember and can't access them again, sorry. But you really have no family health issues?!


I almost certainly do. Who doesn't, right? But, I'm from one of those parts of the world where people don't go to the doctor's unless they are practically on their deathbeds, and, even then, they might not bother with the all expensive quacks. I know of people in my family who have diabetes, hypertension, and the other usual suspects, but the data is not sufficient enough for me to say that Cousin Billy Joe's echolalia constitutes family problems as opposed to being a one-off incidence.

For others in a similar boat, and from your comment, it is clear to me that there might not be another, but just in case: I couldn't find that starred box so I wrote my bit in the additional comments section.


Gotcha. I just went with a really low bar for "history," such that one grandma, for example, is the only person in my family who has had diabetes, and I still listed all such one-off cases.

Hahalollawl
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Hahalollawl » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:39 pm

Duke is the highest ranked school I've gotten in to so far and offered me the most scholarship money so far even though I got in off the waitlist. Well done Duke, well done.

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby KatyMarie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:16 pm

retaking23 wrote:For those who've completed their immunization stuff (and, I presume, most ITT are not nearly as lazy as me and have), regarding the online health history form, in particular the family medical history portion, can anyone spot one of those "starred * boxes" that we're instructed to tick off if we do not know of any family health issues?


Just now getting around to taking care of these...Would someone mind posting a link to the online forms? I'm getting broken links all over the place so I wonder if I'm in the wrong portal or something. Thanks!

FluffMonster
Posts: 2205
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby FluffMonster » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:21 pm

KatyMarie wrote:
retaking23 wrote:For those who've completed their immunization stuff (and, I presume, most ITT are not nearly as lazy as me and have), regarding the online health history form, in particular the family medical history portion, can anyone spot one of those "starred * boxes" that we're instructed to tick off if we do not know of any family health issues?


Just now getting around to taking care of these...Would someone mind posting a link to the online forms? I'm getting broken links all over the place so I wonder if I'm in the wrong portal or something. Thanks!


http://studentaffairs.duke.edu/sites/de ... udents.pdf

User avatar
Stubbazubba
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:17 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby Stubbazubba » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:38 am

gta wrote:Thinking about going with Avalon (Ticon Properties) for housing, anyone else there/have experience?


I know this is late, but I've just moved into a townhouse with Ticon Properties (Taylor's Pond) for summer start. So far, Ticon has been great, whether it's explaining my and their obligations as well as repairs, etc. For the three weeks I've been here, they've been a class act.

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby KatyMarie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:31 am

Jules239 wrote:
KatyMarie wrote:
retaking23 wrote:For those who've completed their immunization stuff (and, I presume, most ITT are not nearly as lazy as me and have), regarding the online health history form, in particular the family medical history portion, can anyone spot one of those "starred * boxes" that we're instructed to tick off if we do not know of any family health issues?


Just now getting around to taking care of these...Would someone mind posting a link to the online forms? I'm getting broken links all over the place so I wonder if I'm in the wrong portal or something. Thanks!


http://studentaffairs.duke.edu/sites/de ... udents.pdf


Thanks!

yadiermolina
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:54 am

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby yadiermolina » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:37 am

anybody know when we register for parking? I hear parking's a real bitch

kathj06
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Postby kathj06 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:45 am

A 2L I know said July and to go for the green zone.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest