Duke Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

How's everyone feeling?

Super freaked out.
27%
Kind of freaked out.
7%
Freaked out...
13%
Thinking I should've been a blacksmith.
40%
My dad's a named partner, so...
13%

Total votes: 15

Serett

Re: Duke Class of 2017

Post by Serett » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:57 pm

johnjay wrote:Have y'all been buying the books listed as optional?
Not yet, as I'm waiting to see just how recommended or necessary they are. I only have optional texts listed for Civ Pro with Sachs, anyway.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 pm

FYI - I saw this posted in the ask a law student forum:

http://www.bigwords.com/

Hahalollawl

Bronze

Post by Hahalollawl » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:18 am

Hey, what are you guys doing for health insurance (if you're not on someone else's plan)? Duke SMIP? Some kind of Medicaid or Obamacare plan? Is it possible to get your Healthcare subsidized?

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:53 am

If anyone is interested the Civ Pro tab for Sachs' class (syllabus, resources, etc) is up on Sakai now

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:39 am

Hahalollawl wrote:Hey, what are you guys doing for health insurance (if you're not on someone else's plan)? Duke SMIP? Some kind of Medicaid or Obamacare plan? Is it possible to get your Healthcare subsidized?
SMIP and it sucks because I'm on Medicaid in my home state. I think I'd have to establish NC residency before I can get Medicaid at Duke which would be a pain because I plan on coming back every summer break anyway and then I'd be without coverage then. If anyone has a cheap alternative solution for out of state students, I'd be very interested.
racrfish wrote:
bluebonnetss wrote:I'm able to see my schedule, but not the books I need for the classes? What am I doing wrong?

Go here, put in your classes and sections to get your books: "http://www.dukestores.duke.edu/textbook.php"
Would it be wise to wait until classes begin to purchase books (like was the case in undergrad, at least for me)? Or are we expected to purchase our books and be up to date with the readings from the first day of classes? Don't want to start off behind but don't want to be too neurotic about this whole thing either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

carolinainmymind

Bronze

Post by carolinainmymind » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:53 am

FYI - The legal writing class sections are up on ACES now as well.

carolinainmymind

Bronze

Post by carolinainmymind » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:12 am

Also, the Foundations course is up as well. Enrollment for Foundations is 222, maybe that's the final class size number.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:26 am

Damn, section 6 is reppin TLS hard!

Better for me. I wouldn't want to be with all y'all TLS strivers anyways. :wink:

racrfish

Bronze

Post by racrfish » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:39 am

retaking23 wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:Hey, what are you guys doing for health insurance (if you're not on someone else's plan)? Duke SMIP? Some kind of Medicaid or Obamacare plan? Is it possible to get your Healthcare subsidized?
SMIP and it sucks because I'm on Medicaid in my home state. I think I'd have to establish NC residency before I can get Medicaid at Duke which would be a pain because I plan on coming back every summer break anyway and then I'd be without coverage then. If anyone has a cheap alternative solution for out of state students, I'd be very interested.
racrfish wrote:
bluebonnetss wrote:I'm able to see my schedule, but not the books I need for the classes? What am I doing wrong?

Go here, put in your classes and sections to get your books: "http://www.dukestores.duke.edu/textbook.php"
Would it be wise to wait until classes begin to purchase books (like was the case in undergrad, at least for me)? Or are we expected to purchase our books and be up to date with the readings from the first day of classes? Don't want to start off behind but don't want to be too neurotic about this whole thing either.
Purchase books now. You will have a lot of reading to do for the first day of class. And every day after that. If you wait you'll have to mooch off others or the library to get your work done which is an unnecessary stress.

This isn't like undergrad where the first day is just going over the syllabus. You'll get cold called the first day of class, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:54 am

Welcome to TLS

JingoFett

New

Post by JingoFett » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Section 5, I see we're reppin' one other person. Feel free to PM me

Hahalollawl

Bronze

Post by Hahalollawl » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:51 pm

BTW did anyone decide to do the mentor thing? I think the form was due yesterday?

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Welcome to TLS

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:37 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:BTW did anyone decide to do the mentor thing? I think the form was due yesterday?
I did. I figured, why not?

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:41 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Hahalollawl wrote:BTW did anyone decide to do the mentor thing? I think the form was due yesterday?
Also did.

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Serett wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Also did.
Me too. I think it's a cool idea actually.

Hank Rearden

New

Post by Hank Rearden » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Serett wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Also did.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:07 am

Where the heck is our loan disbursement?

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:20 am

I saved up for my first year of living expenses, so I need the loan money less than I need to stop buying things.*

*But I totally needed new rear speakers because they didn't match the impedance on my receiver! And I had to try Chick Fil-A, Bojangles, PDQ, and Church's Chicken at least once...okay, maybe three times for Bojangles... :roll:

carolinainmymind

Bronze

Post by carolinainmymind » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:26 am

Serett wrote:I saved up for my first year of living expenses, so I need the loan money less than I need to stop buying things.*

*But I totally needed new rear speakers because they didn't match the impedance on my receiver! And I had to try Chick Fil-A, Bojangles, PDQ, and Church's Chicken at least once...okay, maybe three times for Bojangles... :roll:
Bojangles, so good. Can't resist.

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:30 am

Ok, I'm pretty sure my financial aid was/is being disbursed. Under bursar info in aces, under the account activity tab, I have a negative balance which is the amount that should be wired to my bank for living expenses, right???

I suppose I'll call my bank in a bit just to confirm, but the point is, it's happening so give it until noon peeps.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gta

Bronze

Post by gta » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:44 am

Serett wrote:I saved up for my first year of living expenses, so I need the loan money less than I need to stop buying things.*

Cook-Out was the local place that I had to check out right away. Delicious. Probably not good that they have one so close to Pinnacle Ridge...

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:50 am

carolinainmymind wrote:

And I live right freaking next to the one by Lowes. It's so cheap, too. ~$6.25 for a breast and wing, fries, biscuit, and drink?!
gta wrote:

Cook-Out was the local place that I had to check out right away. Delicious. Probably not good that they have one so close to Pinnacle Ridge...
Guess I'm not laying off yet :lol:

carolinainmymind

Bronze

Post by carolinainmymind » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:16 am

Serett wrote:
carolinainmymind wrote:

And I live right freaking next to the one by Lowes. It's so cheap, too. ~$6.25 for a breast and wing, fries, biscuit, and drink?!
gta wrote:

Guess I'm not laying off yet :lol:
Cook-Out is so cheap, too. Their prices don't even make sense.

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:24 am

you guys are making me hungry

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”