Page 27 of 42

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:00 pm
by mylifeis24
wtrc wrote:Mine went to spam. Got 45k/yr -- didn't realize it was per year at first. Pretty stoked.


Wow.... that's fantastic! Congrats! That has to throw a wrench in your decision-making process.

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:05 pm
by dglenn26
okaygo wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:Congrats to everyone on their awards! Anyone know if we haven't received an email and there isn't anything on the SIS page, is it safe to say we aren't getting any merit aid?


Honestly you should call and ask. I know I just called GW because I didn't get any merit in their first round, and they said they'll be doing a second round in a few weeks.

It just cuts out all of the speculation.


Yeah you're right. I was trying to see if anyone else had called. I sent them an email and will report back for anyone else who is wondering.

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:06 pm
by noobishned
fatheranderson15 wrote:
samoby wrote:
noobishned wrote:Does anyone else's award info for 2015 say "Inquiry access denied." This makes me think that I'll be able to see it soon... I hope.


Apparently that's what it says before you've been given anything. I'm not sure if it means we won't get anything or it's just pending (I have that message, too). Someone said they had that up until the point they got the email notifying them that their award was available.


Yeah, for me it went away once I got my email saying they'd completed their initial review of my financial aid application/I was able to log in and see the loans (the email was in my spam folder as well).


Thanks. I guess I'll just wait it out then!

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:44 pm
by albs18
dglenn26 wrote:
okaygo wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:Congrats to everyone on their awards! Anyone know if we haven't received an email and there isn't anything on the SIS page, is it safe to say we aren't getting any merit aid?


Honestly you should call and ask. I know I just called GW because I didn't get any merit in their first round, and they said they'll be doing a second round in a few weeks.

It just cuts out all of the speculation.


Yeah you're right. I was trying to see if anyone else had called. I sent them an email and will report back for anyone else who is wondering.


I've contacted them as well. Will report back as well.

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:18 pm
by dglenn26
albs18 wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:
okaygo wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:Congrats to everyone on their awards! Anyone know if we haven't received an email and there isn't anything on the SIS page, is it safe to say we aren't getting any merit aid?


Honestly you should call and ask. I know I just called GW because I didn't get any merit in their first round, and they said they'll be doing a second round in a few weeks.

It just cuts out all of the speculation.


Yeah you're right. I was trying to see if anyone else had called. I sent them an email and will report back for anyone else who is wondering.


I've contacted them as well. Will report back as well.


They just emailed me back stating that "The financial aid award communications that were sent out on March 5 would have incorporated all students for whom Ms. Richard has extended merit or need-based scholarship assistance. If you do not see any reference to a financial aid package on SIS, then you have not been extended any scholarship aid at this time. You may appeal the decision directly with Dean Richard at arichard@virginia.edu or to inquire with her whether any future scholarship awards will be communicated."

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:08 pm
by awoodard
dglenn26 wrote:
albs18 wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:
Yeah you're right. I was trying to see if anyone else had called. I sent them an email and will report back for anyone else who is wondering.


I've contacted them as well. Will report back as well.


They just emailed me back stating that "The financial aid award communications that were sent out on March 5 would have incorporated all students for whom Ms. Richard has extended merit or need-based scholarship assistance. If you do not see any reference to a financial aid package on SIS, then you have not been extended any scholarship aid at this time. You may appeal the decision directly with Dean Richard at arichard@virginia.edu or to inquire with her whether any future scholarship awards will be communicated."


:?

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:32 pm
by fatheranderson15
awoodard wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:
albs18 wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:
Yeah you're right. I was trying to see if anyone else had called. I sent them an email and will report back for anyone else who is wondering.


I've contacted them as well. Will report back as well.


They just emailed me back stating that "The financial aid award communications that were sent out on March 5 would have incorporated all students for whom Ms. Richard has extended merit or need-based scholarship assistance. If you do not see any reference to a financial aid package on SIS, then you have not been extended any scholarship aid at this time. You may appeal the decision directly with Dean Richard at arichard@virginia.edu or to inquire with her whether any future scholarship awards will be communicated."


:?

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:53 pm
by thechancellor
kathj06 wrote:My award absolutely pales in comparison to Michigan's...what gives? Does UVA take info from Need Access into account when doling out scholarship $, unlike Mich?


same here. I might try and negotiate, although I'll wait for this whole furor to die down.

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:39 pm
by vivala
So it's safe to assume that if you have the "access denied" message, you didn't get anything? :(

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:42 pm
by samoby
vivala wrote:So it's safe to assume that if you have the "access denied" message, you didn't get anything? :(


I guess so. This sucks.

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:20 pm
by mazer
awoodard wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:
albs18 wrote:
dglenn26 wrote:
Yeah you're right. I was trying to see if anyone else had called. I sent them an email and will report back for anyone else who is wondering.


I've contacted them as well. Will report back as well.


They just emailed me back stating that "The financial aid award communications that were sent out on March 5 would have incorporated all students for whom Ms. Richard has extended merit or need-based scholarship assistance. If you do not see any reference to a financial aid package on SIS, then you have not been extended any scholarship aid at this time. You may appeal the decision directly with Dean Richard at arichard@virginia.edu or to inquire with her whether any future scholarship awards will be communicated."


:?


Any sense of whether this applies to people across the board, even if quite recently admitted (e.g., March 4), or could there still be a small backlog?

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:37 pm
by EzraFitz
samoby wrote:
vivala wrote:So it's safe to assume that if you have the "access denied" message, you didn't get anything? :(


I guess so. This sucks.

They are still rolling out finance offers. No need to worry until at least the end of the week.

P.M. for source

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:48 pm
by sasquatchsam
I just wanted to report in that the admissions office looks and sounds swamped with work right now. Also, I am really really impressed with the law school and Charlottesville. Penn and UVA were both high on my list but after visiting both schools, UVA seems to clearly have the better facilities (except maybe their moot court). Of course I have only visited two schools so far so my sample size is pretty small haha.

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:07 pm
by Plainsman11011
Anyone else above both 75ths and didn't receive any merit aid? Extremely disappointed, no way I could pick UVA without any scholarship money when considering other offers...

Edit: If this happened to you, PM me!

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:01 pm
by ms1spiderman
SordidLSATHistory wrote:
ms1spiderman wrote:Okay, here's what I'm concerned about. Any TFA people on here get the Teach For America 1/2 tuition award? I want to know when they're rolling that out/if they have and if my service was deemed…unworthy haha


+1

In the same boat. Not to get ahead of myself, but if the 5 TFA scholarships haven't been handed out yet, I wonder if they stack with other merit based aid rewards?


Yeah, it's a 1/2 tuition fee waiver. I can't foresee how they'd stack those two together. If I was in admissions, I'd keep those in my back pocket, but I could be posting this and 5 other TFAers could be laughing their faces off haha

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:32 am
by kathj06
alex.cm wrote:
kathj06 wrote:My award absolutely pales in comparison to Michigan's...what gives? Does UVA take info from Need Access into account when doling out scholarship $, unlike Mich?


same here. I might try and negotiate, although I'll wait for this whole furor to die down.


At least I'm not the only one! Yeah, letting their office take a bit of a breather seems like TCR

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:30 am
by drumstickies
Is the money guaranteed for three years? It'd suck to get offered money and have it gone when we're committed the next year...

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:33 am
by okaygo
drumstickies wrote:Is the money guaranteed for three years? It'd suck to get offered money and have it gone when we're committed the next year...


Guaranteed all 3.

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:55 pm
by jjking
edit

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:30 pm
by Sojourner2
jjking wrote:so, if we're still at "inquiry access denied" for fin aid...out of luck?


I doubt it. I had that for a while before they posted my award. I think that just means it hasn't been entered in the system.

At the very least, unless you or your family is super independently wealthy they would offer you loans and those would show up. So by employing a little bit of LSAT logic, if you and/or your family is not super independently wealthy, then you will get loans and so if you don't see them, then they are still coming and your award is not posted yet.

I think that makes sense. If not I'm going to delete this post before UVA decides to retract its offer.

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:04 pm
by mulhollanddrive
I didn't get any email for scholarships. Have they all gone out? Does this mean that I will have to pay sticker?

GPA is below median and LSAT is 171

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:10 pm
by swampman
mulhollanddrive wrote:I didn't get any email for scholarships. Have they all gone out? Does this mean that I will have to pay sticker?

GPA is below median and LSAT is 171


I also didn't get an email but my aid package was on SIS. If you got your forms in there's a good chance yours is posted.

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:22 pm
by mulhollanddrive
swampman wrote:
mulhollanddrive wrote:I didn't get any email for scholarships. Have they all gone out? Does this mean that I will have to pay sticker?

GPA is below median and LSAT is 171


I also didn't get an email but my aid package was on SIS. If you got your forms in there's a good chance yours is posted.


What is SIS? What forms?

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:24 pm
by Daily_Double
.

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:59 pm
by OsaroLJ
Had a nice visit with UVA yesterday. Met with a couple of students and spoke with Jason. Very nice facility and nice people there. Also got a chance to sit in on my first law school class.