UVA Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Where will you be living during your 1L year?

Pavilion
7
15%
Ivy
5
11%
Jeffersonian
8
17%
Arlington Park Townhomes
4
9%
Arlington Court Condos
0
No votes
Graduate Centre
1
2%
University Place
2
4%
Landmark at Granite Park
0
No votes
Other
17
36%
Undecided
3
6%
 
Total votes: 47

User avatar
samoby
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby samoby » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:59 pm

Visited recently and absolutely LOVED it. Making this decision a lot harder but in a good way. :)

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby Otunga » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Checking in. Biggest contenders against UVA, pending scholarship info: Cornell, BC, BU and/or WUSTL with $$$, with aspirations of Boston biglaw, a New England PD office, or a federal clerkship (yeah, they're varied).

It looks great, and it's no doubt a top choice, but it's also the one that'd, probably, force me to take out the highest amount of loans.

User avatar
albs18
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby albs18 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:02 pm

Any scholly info? If not, when should we expect that to roll out?

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby swampman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:40 pm

albs18 wrote:Any scholly info? If not, when should we expect that to roll out?

RCO2012 wrote:Yes, this cycle is much different than those prior, including scholarship consideration. UVA, from what I have read, is aiming to spend more wisely, and so offers are going out once they have a better idea of what the entering class may look like. The timelines and expectations page on the UVA site state that merit scholarships will be awarded in March and April.

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby angels2fly » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:42 pm

Anyone thinking about visiting the weekend of the 7th and 8th?

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:34 pm

angels2fly wrote:Anyone thinking about visiting the weekend of the 7th and 8th?


I'm always nearby :). If you're here on a weekend, let me know!

rachellen
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:40 am

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby rachellen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:35 pm

So, Jefferson Scholars have all been notified by now, right...? (Holding on to my delusions for as long as possible.)

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:25 pm

rachellen wrote:So, Jefferson Scholars have all been notified by now, right...? (Holding on to my delusions for as long as possible.)


Jefferson Scholars Foundation wrote:January/February 2014
Jefferson Fellowship nominees notified of candidacy via e-mail and telephone


You can hold on for another 5 days! :D

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby North » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:03 pm

UCLAHopeful2014 wrote:So, does UVA really provide financial aid, meaning grants and scholarships, on a need basis?

Need basis? Lol. No.

yahootls
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby yahootls » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:20 pm

FYI for anyone looking for awesome housing to begin in June: --LinkRemoved--. Great location and great price! Much better option than the Pavilion in my opinion...

sasquatchsam
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby sasquatchsam » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:24 pm

https://www.facebook.com/uvalawfinaid
Incoming students for Fall 2014 - Welcome! Please file your FAFSA and your Need Access form by 2/14. Students who meet that deadline will receive their financial aid offers on 3/3 via email notification. Check your email! If you have questions, contact our office. We are here to help!


Looks like if you got your paperwork together early you will get financial aid offers in about a week.

christobel
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby christobel » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:32 pm

/
Last edited by christobel on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:42 pm

sasquatchsam wrote:https://www.facebook.com/uvalawfinaid
Incoming students for Fall 2014 - Welcome! Please file your FAFSA and your Need Access form by 2/14. Students who meet that deadline will receive their financial aid offers on 3/3 via email notification. Check your email! If you have questions, contact our office. We are here to help!


Looks like if you got your paperwork together early you will get financial aid offers in about a week.


For someone admitted last week, you think there's any chance of hearing back on 3/3? I submitted FAFSA before getting in.

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby okaygo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Does financial aid package include scholarship info?

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:26 pm

okaygo wrote:Does financial aid package include scholarship info?


Yes, it could.

zbollenb
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby zbollenb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Anyone else excited about this Jefferson Monicello tour?

Muff
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby Muff » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Hey everybody. I've been reading these boards for a while but I don't really post. I was accepted to UVA off of ED back in November.

I have a question that maybe some of the VA folks on here could help with - how are the trails for mountain biking around cville? On the website it lists national parks that are nearby, and they seem really good for camping at about 1-2 hours away, but I was wondering about trails that I could hit after class for an hour or two.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:37 pm

Muff wrote:Hey everybody. I've been reading these boards for a while but I don't really post. I was accepted to UVA off of ED back in November.

I have a question that maybe some of the VA folks on here could help with - how are the trails for mountain biking around cville? On the website it lists national parks that are nearby, and they seem really good for camping at about 1-2 hours away, but I was wondering about trails that I could hit after class for an hour or two.


+1 Also curious. If I end up in C-ville, let's go biking.

User avatar
jasper09
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby jasper09 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 pm

zbollenb wrote:Anyone else excited about this Jefferson Monicello tour?


+1

Which reminds me, I need to RSVP for that...

fatheranderson15
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby fatheranderson15 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:34 pm

Checking in! Looking forward to visiting over spring break.

Muff
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby Muff » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:02 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Muff wrote:Hey everybody. I've been reading these boards for a while but I don't really post. I was accepted to UVA off of ED back in November.

I have a question that maybe some of the VA folks on here could help with - how are the trails for mountain biking around cville? On the website it lists national parks that are nearby, and they seem really good for camping at about 1-2 hours away, but I was wondering about trails that I could hit after class for an hour or two.


+1 Also curious. If I end up in C-ville, let's go biking.


Yea for sure. I wonder if there will be a lot of MTBers at uva. I saw on google maps that there is a cyclery right in the barracks rd shopping center, so I'm betting there will be a lot of people down to go

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:41 pm

Muff wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Muff wrote:Hey everybody. I've been reading these boards for a while but I don't really post. I was accepted to UVA off of ED back in November.

I have a question that maybe some of the VA folks on here could help with - how are the trails for mountain biking around cville? On the website it lists national parks that are nearby, and they seem really good for camping at about 1-2 hours away, but I was wondering about trails that I could hit after class for an hour or two.


+1 Also curious. If I end up in C-ville, let's go biking.


Yea for sure. I wonder if there will be a lot of MTBers at uva. I saw on google maps that there is a cyclery right in the barracks rd shopping center, so I'm betting there will be a lot of people down to go


Tons of trails near campus. If you come visit, a quick one is the Rivanna trail. It runs throughout C-Ville and goes right behind the law school. You can actually see the softball fields next to the law school on some parts of the trail.

eta: quick as in quick to get to, not short. I think total, the trail is about 20 miles. Look it up, it is maintained by RTF.

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:59 pm

All students who wish to be considered for law school scholarships which have a need component or who are planning to apply for federal financial aid including Stafford and GradPlus Loans must complete both the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the on-line Need Access application.


In UVA's financial email they state that Need Access is required if you are looking to use Stafford and GradPlus loans. I was under the impression that this was not the case and that you only needed to submit FAFSA for these loans. Am I misreading the above sentence?

User avatar
albs18
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby albs18 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:43 pm

where are folks staying for the admitted students weekend?

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby swampman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:47 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
All students who wish to be considered for law school scholarships which have a need component or who are planning to apply for federal financial aid including Stafford and GradPlus Loans must complete both the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the on-line Need Access application.


In UVA's financial email they state that Need Access is required if you are looking to use Stafford and GradPlus loans. I was under the impression that this was not the case and that you only needed to submit FAFSA for these loans. Am I misreading the above sentence?

Different people at the FinAid office have told different applicants different things regarding this. The final answer that I got was that, yes, both were required, but that you can leave parental info blank (write 0 and N/A in required spots) if you do not want to be considered for need aid. I imagine you could press them and they would allow you to only submit FAFSA, and this appears to be the case for some people, but I would recommend getting that in writing from FinAid office first.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests