UVA Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Where will you be living during your 1L year?

Pavilion
7
15%
Ivy
5
11%
Jeffersonian
8
17%
Arlington Park Townhomes
4
9%
Arlington Court Condos
0
No votes
Graduate Centre
1
2%
University Place
2
4%
Landmark at Granite Park
0
No votes
Other
17
36%
Undecided
3
6%
 
Total votes: 47

User avatar
monsterman
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby monsterman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Checking in!

Edit: Didn't realize this was my 100th post. How fitting.

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby angels2fly » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:50 pm

These emails from alumni are great.

JustaQ
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby JustaQ » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:04 pm

angels2fly wrote:These emails from alumni are great.


?

OsaroLJ
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby OsaroLJ » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:25 pm

Checking in :lol:

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:51 am

OsaroLJ wrote:Checking in :lol:


Welcome!!!

johnjay
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby johnjay » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Anyone know of any cheap hotels near the University?

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:41 pm

johnjay wrote:Anyone know of any cheap hotels near the University?


See the OP. Hotel Accommodations are listed under the travel section.

Sojourner2
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 10:30 am

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby Sojourner2 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:12 pm

So it does appear from the website that scholarship information won't come out until early March, at the earliest.

Does anyone know if this is inclusive of Jefferson Scholarships? The jeff scholars website says that selection weekend for GSAS is last week of Feb/first week of March. It doesn't say when the law selection weekend is, although in the past I know they have been at the same time (at least some years, I don't know about all years).

I'm assuming if the selection weekend is early March then the nominees must have been notified by now. But since UVA is pushing all scholarships back, does that mean selection weekend is being pushed back too? Does anyone know?

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Sojourner2 wrote:So it does appear from the website that scholarship information won't come out until early March, at the earliest.

Does anyone know if this is inclusive of Jefferson Scholarships? The jeff scholars website says that selection weekend for GSAS is last week of Feb/first week of March. It doesn't say when the law selection weekend is, although in the past I know they have been at the same time (at least some years, I don't know about all years).

I'm assuming if the selection weekend is early March then the nominees must have been notified by now. But since UVA is pushing all scholarships back, does that mean selection weekend is being pushed back too? Does anyone know?


I believe the Jefferson scholars program operates separate from the law school with candidates just being submitted by the head of the law school and the selection being completed by the overseeing group. I could be totally wrong, but I would think the law school would still have to follow the deadline for selection unless they pre-arranged candidate selection due to the new procedures for scholarship consideration. So, overall, I think someone would have to call and clarify. I'm still unsure of a definitive answer on the requirement to submit Need Access and FAFSA for merit scholarship consideration/notification. I would think the answer would be no, but I wish someone who knows would post a definitive answer supplied by the school.

User avatar
UCLAHopeful2014
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby UCLAHopeful2014 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:05 pm

So, does UVA really provide financial aid, meaning grants and scholarships, on a need basis?

ejan1621
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby ejan1621 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Okay, so for merit based aid - you do NOT need to submit parental information. No Need Access Form and no parental info on FAFSA. You are automatically considered for merit aid regardless of submission of parental info.

Hope this helps!

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:02 pm

ejan1621 wrote:Okay, so for merit based aid - you do NOT need to submit parental information. No Need Access Form and no parental info on FAFSA. You are automatically considered for merit aid regardless of submission of parental info.

Hope this helps!


But do you need to submit FAFSA at all? Or are all admitted students in consideration?

GeneralFile(s)
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby GeneralFile(s) » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:28 pm

RCO2012 wrote:
ejan1621 wrote:Okay, so for merit based aid - you do NOT need to submit parental information. No Need Access Form and no parental info on FAFSA. You are automatically considered for merit aid regardless of submission of parental info.

Hope this helps!


But do you need to submit FAFSA at all? Or are all admitted students in consideration?


My current understanding is that you need to submit FAFSA (with or without parental information) to receive federal loans facilitated through the school. I do not know if they will look at the FAFSA if they already have it on file when they are reviewing your application for merit aid, but it is not required for the merit review process to take place. Needaccess is not required for merit scholarship consideration or for federal loans. Anyone have a different understanding?

ejan1621
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby ejan1621 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:59 pm

Yeah I have the same understanding - Only FAFSA for federal loans. I sent in my FAFSA to UVA but without parental information. You don't need to submit anything to UVA to be considered for merit aid though.

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby swampman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Edit: Confirmed with UVA that parental info is not required in order to receive federal loans. Thanks!
Last edited by swampman on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thrive
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:01 am

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby Thrive » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:06 am

swampman wrote:I was told very clearly that both FAFSA and NeedAccess with parental info are required in order to receive federal loans, unless you are given a hardship waiver on the parent info.

This policy makes no sense to me. Have other people heard otherwise directly from the office?


As for Federal Loans, I believe it depends on your age. I don't believe it's a school policy as much as it is a government policy hence some of the inconsistent answers.

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Thrive wrote:
swampman wrote:I was told very clearly that both FAFSA and NeedAccess with parental info are required in order to receive federal loans, unless you are given a hardship waiver on the parent info.

This policy makes no sense to me. Have other people heard otherwise directly from the office?


As for Federal Loans, I believe it depends on your age. I don't believe it's a school policy as much as it is a government policy hence some of the inconsistent answers.


Uva requires parental info for need based aid.

jdapplicant
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 am

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby jdapplicant » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:18 pm

I'm just now catching up with this thread. Thanks for all of the info RCO! Really helpful stuff

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1396
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby SplitMyPants » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:24 pm

Checking in! So freaking excited as UVA is one of my top choices! :D

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:Checking in! So freaking excited as UVA is one of my top choices! :D


Welcome! Congrats!

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm

jdapplicant wrote:I'm just now catching up with this thread. Thanks for all of the info RCO! Really helpful stuff


Not a problem.

User avatar
esrom55
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby esrom55 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:50 pm

Checking in!

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:47 pm

esrom55 wrote:Checking in!


Welcome! :D

User avatar
swampman
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby swampman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Thrive wrote:
As for Federal Loans, I believe it depends on your age. I don't believe it's a school policy as much as it is a government policy hence some of the inconsistent answers.

Nope, neither UVA nor the federal government require parental information for loans, regardless of age. Sorry for the confusion!

ETA: depending on who at the office you talk to, you either have to submit both FAFSA and NeedAccess (with parental information left off), or just FAFSA. I'd recommend checking with them yourself. But both forms with parent info are definitely required if you want need based aid.
Last edited by swampman on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
RCO2012
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Postby RCO2012 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:10 pm

[/quote]
swampman wrote:
Thrive wrote:
As for Federal Loans, I believe it depends on your age. I don't believe it's a school policy as much as it is a government policy hence some of the inconsistent answers.

Nope, neither UVA nor the federal government require parental information for loans, regardless of age. Sorry for the confusion!


Scholarship with a need component requires parental information if under 26 and unmarried. I guess it doesn't mention loans when discussing parental information.

UVA Law wrote:You must file a FAFSA form if you are requesting financial aid from federal or need-based institutional sources. The FAFSA should be submitted directly to the federal processor online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. All admitted students seeking financial aid must complete the Need Access application. Please Note: Regardless of the FAFSA instructions, unmarried applicants and admitted students who are age 26 and under must submit parental financial information to be considered for scholarship aid with a need component. The requirement to provide parental data may be waived for extenuating circumstances if providing it presents extreme hardship. You must petition the Law School Financial Aid Office for such a waiver. Currently enrolled students, regardless of age or marital status, are not required to provide parental information.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest