UVA Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Where will you be living during your 1L year?

Pavilion
15%
Ivy
11%
Jeffersonian
17%
Arlington Park Townhomes
9%
Arlington Court Condos
No votes
Graduate Centre
2%
University Place
4%
Landmark at Granite Park
No votes
Other
36%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 47

RCO2012

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Post by RCO2012 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Daily_Double wrote:If you are looking for something UVA related to pass the time, from what I understand you can look at your future email address here by typing your name in the first search box. Based upon mine, I suspect that someone at UVA makes these by typing a student's initials then pressing three very random keys blindfolded.
Lol for some reason this made it all seem a little more real. :D

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Merry Christmas Eve and happy holidays to my future UVA friends.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:42 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Christmas in Hollis
Loving it.

Fiera

New

Post by Fiera » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Okay, so I know this question's been asked a million times, but here's another housing query. I've been reading in other threads people saying that the Pavilion was replacing Ivy as the hub of 1L housing. Does anyone know if this is really the case? Or is it more an even split between the two places? I really don't want to drop the $$ for Pavilion, but I do want to live where the majority of the class will be staying.

Also, does anyone have experience with having a housemate? Do most people live by themselves? I'm hoping there're some people who can chime in here and clarify some things :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Fiera wrote:Okay, so I know this question's been asked a million times, but here's another housing query. I've been reading in other threads people saying that the Pavilion was replacing Ivy as the hub of 1L housing. Does anyone know if this is really the case? Or is it more an even split between the two places? I really don't want to drop the $$ for Pavilion, but I do want to live where the majority of the class will be staying.

Also, does anyone have experience with having a housemate? Do most people live by themselves? I'm hoping there're some people who can chime in here and clarify some things :)
I went down and saw pavilion a month or so ago, and there were definitely a few law students there. I don't think it's replacing Ivy. Most students don't have the money to dish out. I'm still considering it, but I've heard negative things about living in the same complex as the majority of students. Of course, I'm sure it has it's positives as well.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:40 pm

RCO2012 wrote:
Fiera wrote:Okay, so I know this question's been asked a million times, but here's another housing query. I've been reading in other threads people saying that the Pavilion was replacing Ivy as the hub of 1L housing. Does anyone know if this is really the case? Or is it more an even split between the two places? I really don't want to drop the $$ for Pavilion, but I do want to live where the majority of the class will be staying.

I went down and saw pavilion a month or so ago, and there were definitely a few law students there. I don't think it's replacing Ivy. Most students don't have the money to dish out. I'm still considering it, but I've heard negative things about living in the same complex as the majority of students. Of course, I'm sure it has it's positives as well.
I thought you were looking at houses RCO?
I am pretty excited to start viewing some areas in person when I visit in a couple of months been trying to read about different areas.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:14 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:

I am pretty excited to start viewing some areas in person when I visit in a couple of months been trying to read about different areas.
Nah man. I'm in a house now that I'll be selling this summer. Looking at apartments or houses for lease (there aren't too many of those near the law school). I'm not sure where I will end up, but I'm hoping to have it all figured out and set in stone in March.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:15 pm

RCO2012 wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:

Nah man. I'm in a house now that I'll be selling this summer. Looking at apartments or houses for lease (there aren't too many of those near the law school). I'm not sure where I will end up, but I'm hoping to have it all figured out and set in stone in March.
Ya I am having a hard time finding houses. Especially considering the requirements and wishes of my better half.

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Gooner91 wrote: Ya I am having a hard time finding houses. Especially considering the requirements and wishes of my better half.
Haha. I think I have higher expectations than my SO in the real estate realm. Especially moving from a house back to apartment living-it's going to be a little rough.

Fiera

New

Post by Fiera » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:37 am

RCO2012 wrote:
Negatives in terms of noise and distraction? I'm a veteran of one of the biggest "party schools" in the nation, so I can basically study through an atomic bomb explosion. So thankfully in terms of that I'm not too worried. Were there other types of negatives about it?

Are you guys not going to be able to drive in C'ville, RCO and Gooner? Other people were making it sound like there was a lot of availability of different types of housing a bit further out from the school?
Daily_Double wrote:
I imagine it's just like any other potential roommate situation except that you'll be more picky. Go through the usual questions: Do I know anyone who wants to live with me? Would that person be relatively clean and respectful of my space/stuff? Does that person have a boyfriend/girlfriend who will be over constantly? Does that person play an instrument badly at odd times? Etc.

You could also post your question in the UVA Law Students Taking Questions thread since they would have more experience in this situation.
Thanks for the link to that thread, I had been kind of looking around for it! I'll definitely go ask over there as well. Ugh, the constant bf/gf being over is the worst! Nightmarish flashbacks of undergrad, shiver.

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:57 am

Fiera wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:
Negatives in terms of noise and distraction? I'm a veteran of one of the biggest "party schools" in the nation, so I can basically study through an atomic bomb explosion. So thankfully in terms of that I'm not too worried. Were there other types of negatives about it?

Are you guys not going to be able to drive in C'ville, RCO and Gooner? Other people were making it sound like there was a lot of availability of different types of housing a bit further out from the school?
Daily_Double wrote:
I imagine it's just like any other potential roommate situation except that you'll be more picky. Go through the usual questions: Do I know anyone who wants to live with me? Would that person be relatively clean and respectful of my space/stuff? Does that person have a boyfriend/girlfriend who will be over constantly? Does that person play an instrument badly at odd times? Etc.

You could also post your question in the UVA Law Students Taking Questions thread since they would have more experience in this situation.
Thanks for the link to that thread, I had been kind of looking around for it! I'll definitely go ask over there as well. Ugh, the constant bf/gf being over is the worst! Nightmarish flashbacks of undergrad, shiver.
I'll be able to drive there's just give and take with driving in Charlottesville. Most of the negatives revolve around first year anxiety, commotion, confusion, etc. Not so much distractions, instead everyone freaking out, let's say around the first/second week of December? Lol. Anxiety is often contagious when living in close quarters with law students. I
Also, I think many have roommates, but also progressing to professional school the number of students living with spouses/SOs/families increases, so they're less likely to room with another student, obviously. Not hard to find a roommate though - the Facebook page can help with this in early spring.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:02 am

You're welcome. I once searched through the bowels of this website and rose with a variety of helpful and unhelpful information. The only relevant threads, in addition to the UVA one above, from this point onwards are below, you need to search NO LONGER.*

Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice

TLS Collected Wisdom on Success in Law School

1L Exam Questions and Links

TheSeaLocust's Grand Municipal Guide to Outlining as a Study Method

Maybe you should drop out of law school

*This is a lie, there are many more helpful threads and posts that I don't feel like digging up. So happy hunting!

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:13 am

Daily_Double wrote:You're welcome. I once searched through the bowels of this website and rose with a variety of helpful and unhelpful information. The only relevant threads, in addition to the UVA one above, from this point onwards are below, you need to search NO LONGER.*

Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice

TLS Collected Wisdom on Success in Law School

1L Exam Questions and Links

TheSeaLocust's Grand Municipal Guide to Outlining as a Study Method

Maybe you should drop out of law school

*This is a lie, there are many more helpful threads and posts that I don't feel like digging up. So happy hunting!
Awesome. I have most of these on my reading list in safari. Good to see someone else saved them.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 am

If you don't mind a question from a random undergraduate, how did those here with high stats get in and avoid yield protection?

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:37 am

Fiera wrote:
RCO2012 wrote:

Daily_Double wrote:

I am going to drive, will probably look at places a little further away so I can find house with a better yard. I have heard some people say the driving is terrible but others it is not so bad. I will have to wait til I can visit to have a better idea. Have you visited the area?
Typing on this ipad is tricky haha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:14 am

I'm a pavilion shrill, but if you dont have the extra money, don't live in pavilion

kingjones59

Bronze

Post by kingjones59 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:00 pm

Pav has definetely replaced Ivy as the "hub". Every single pregame I went to this semester (a lot) was at the pav. Should you personally live there? That's up to you. Everyone agrees it's overpriced, the per month parking is stupid, and the electrical bills are mysteriously abnormally high.

Also, living outside "the hub" will not change your social experience at all. I live driving distance away from the law school and just cab it. Believe it or not, you will want to avoid other law students at all costs at some times. Law school will become your life and it's tough to survive it without occasionally gaining some perspective. Can't do that by walking out of your room and running into other law students all the time

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:18 pm

kingjones59 wrote:

Pav has definetely replaced Ivy as the "hub". Every single pregame I went to this semester (a lot) was at the pav. Should you personally live there? That's up to you. Everyone agrees it's overpriced, the per month parking is stupid, and the electrical bills are mysteriously abnormally high.

Also, living outside "the hub" will not change your social experience at all. I live driving distance away from the law school and just cab it. Believe it or not, you will want to avoid other law students at all costs at some times. Law school will become your life and it's tough to survive it without occasionally gaining some perspective. Can't do that by walking out of your room and running into other law students all the time
Obviously this will vary from person to person, but in your opinion what distance would you consider living too far away? Would a 20-40 minute commute be a bit too far? Assuming you have a car.

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:59 pm

I've started looking a little further away (not 20 minutes) over the last few days and there are some nice spaces. Hopefully, if I decide to do that, cabs aren't too bad around CVille.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kingjones59

Bronze

Post by kingjones59 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
kingjones59 wrote:

Obviously this will vary from person to person, but in your opinion what distance would you consider living too far away? Would a 20-40 minute commute be a bit too far? Assuming you have a car.

I live 15 minutes away, and that is probably the line for me. I don't think I could have handled more than that (as a 1L). Pros to living around 15 min away: bigger apartments, nicer apartments for considerably less; get to get away from the law school rat race at the end of the night, you always have an excuse if there is a particular mixer/section event you really don't want to go to (people who live at the pav are always expected to host stuff too). Cons: sucks comes finals time. It's really hard to pack enough food to be able to survive at the law school from 8am- midnight come mid November, and you can't waste the half hour round trip to go back to your place, so you either go hungry or live off of subway.

The cab ride is about $25 including tip from the bars to where I live. Or just crash with a friend at the pav for the night and drive home the next day

marsters

New

Post by marsters » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:22 am

Got a UVA Law mug for Xmas, and getting ready to turn 21 in a couple of weeks. Can't wait for Law school!

RCO2012

Silver

Post by RCO2012 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:20 am

marsters wrote:Got a UVA Law mug for Xmas, and getting ready to turn 21 in a couple of weeks. Can't wait for Law school!
Haha awesome! I got an awesome 2 oz. Virginia Law shot glass :). It's going to be a good time :)...some of the time at least!

sl5uw13

Bronze

Post by sl5uw13 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:35 am

so someone said to apply for the jeffersonian midnight dec 31. If you want to have a roommate, but haven't found one yet, can you still apply for a two bedroom?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”