UVA Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Where will you be living during your 1L year?

Pavilion
15%
Ivy
11%
Jeffersonian
17%
Arlington Park Townhomes
9%
Arlington Court Condos
No votes
Graduate Centre
2%
University Place
4%
Landmark at Granite Park
No votes
Other
36%
Undecided
6%

Total votes: 47

mylifeis24

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2017

Post by mylifeis24 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but does UVA have an appeals form, or just email the FinAid office?

EEguy5

New

Post by EEguy5 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:52 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned, but does UVA have an appeals form, or just email the FinAid office?
I think it's just email. They will forward your email to Dean Richard. If you are like me and it sounds like many others, she will ask you to call her and then politely inform you that there are no more funds to give out.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:08 pm

EEguy5 wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned, but does UVA have an appeals form, or just email the FinAid office?
I think it's just email. They will forward your email to Dean Richard. If you are like me and it sounds like many others, she will ask you to call her and then politely inform you that there are no more funds to give out.
Yep. She is very kind though. She said they try to spread their money out rather than concentrate it at the top, which is admirable I suppose. It's also unfortunate for those who really want to be at UVA but have better offers from their peer schools or from CCN.

I didn't make an impassioned plea on the phone, but I suspect that doing so might be worthwhile. If you're really sold on UVA and really would only go there if your offer got bumped up then I think it might be worth making a case for yourself.

jasper09

Bronze

Post by jasper09 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:11 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
EEguy5 wrote:
Yep. She is very kind though. She said they try to spread their money out rather than concentrate it at the top, which is admirable I suppose. It's also unfortunate for those who really want to be at UVA but have better offers from their peer schools or from CCN.

I didn't make an impassioned plea on the phone, but I suspect that doing so might be worthwhile. If you're really sold on UVA and really would only go there if your offer got bumped up then I think it might be worth making a case for yourself.
So, I wrote this in the Fin Aid forum a week or two ago and I think it might be useful info, so I'm re-posting here:
Pro tip from the UVA open house financial aid session: when UVA gives a scholarship offer, it's fully funded, whereas some schools apparently just charge you less tuition (not really sure how it works, but that's what was said). The lady from the Fin Aid office literally said that, as of right now, "the checkbook's empty" so they won't negotiate or budge until people begin declining offers and freeing up money that's currently earmarked for other admitted students. That said, she did say that if you would like to be considered for a higher award, to email Dean Richard. I think you'll probably have to wait a bit (closer to when seat deposits are due) to get an affirmative response, but there's a chance you might get more money once people decide to go elsewhere.
Essentially, I think they want to know how the class is shaping up so that they know how much available funding they have for additional scholarship funds.

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:20 am

When is the deadline to accept/decline the award?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sojourner2

New

Post by Sojourner2 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:54 pm

jdapplicant wrote:When is the deadline to accept/decline the award?
Pretty sure it is whenever you send in your seat deposit. Which is April 21st or something. Not sure why it is so early compared to other schools.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:09 pm

Sojourner2 wrote:
Pretty sure it is whenever you send in your seat deposit. Which is April 21st or something. Not sure why it is so early compared to other schools.
This is when NYUs is as well

a.sleepyhead

Bronze

Post by a.sleepyhead » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:44 am

Pneumonia wrote:
Sojourner2 wrote:
NYU's deadline is May 2nd (ETA: there may be a couple different deadlines based on aid type)
Last edited by a.sleepyhead on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:13 am

a.sleepyhead wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
Sojourner2 wrote:
NYU's deadline is May 2nd
PM'd

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smartypants2014

New

Post by smartypants2014 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Interested to know if so called merit scholarship awards are being affected by parents stated income on financial aid forms.
Have spoken to a few students with very similar stats and seems students whose parents stated income was higher got less merit award than students whose parents stated income was lower. In all cases, students are no longer parents' dependents and no parents are contributing to students' law school expenses. Anyone able to say if this is done at UVA? Not really a merit scholarship if not given on the "merits" of the students' scholastic performance and anticipated capabilities to add value to the incoming class.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Just withdrew. Didn't get much scholarship money, but what I did get is opened up!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:51 pm

smartypants2014 wrote:Interested to know if so called merit scholarship awards are being affected by parents stated income on financial aid forms.
Have spoken to a few students with very similar stats and seems students whose parents stated income was higher got less merit award than students whose parents stated income was lower. In all cases, students are no longer parents' dependents and no parents are contributing to students' law school expenses. Anyone able to say if this is done at UVA? Not really a merit scholarship if not given on the "merits" of the students' scholastic performance and anticipated capabilities to add value to the incoming class.
my scholly was given on the acceptance phone call and I didn't submit the FAFSA/any financial aid info. So seemed pretty meritocratic

rachellen

New

Post by rachellen » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:08 am

james.bungles wrote:
smartypants2014 wrote:Interested to know if so called merit scholarship awards are being affected by parents stated income on financial aid forms.
my scholly was given on the acceptance phone call and I didn't submit the FAFSA/any financial aid info. So seemed pretty meritocratic
I actually got a scholarship estimate during my interview, but ended up not getting an actual offer until after all my fafsa etc was in. It was about what they said in the interview though, so who knows.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alinor

New

Post by alinor » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:21 pm

How long did it take people to hear back about scholarship appeals?

smartypants2014

New

Post by smartypants2014 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:28 pm

Not sure if anyone has heard anything but no as a reply so far?

Sojourner2

New

Post by Sojourner2 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:34 am

I did talk to them on the phone and they said that they did try to take people's need into consideration this year when handing out the awards.

That does not necessarily mean that the aid is not "merit" though. It just means that the award you get as one big chuck is probably partially a grant based on need and part a scholarship based on merit. This explains why some people can be offered money over the phone before their forms are in (because they're getting merit), and also why some people with similar numbers to you might have appeared to get more (their merit is the same as yours, but their need is greater).

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:47 am

Thoughts on waiting to a couple days before the deposit deadline to negotiate? Do you (anybody) think we have to make the deposit and negotiate after to have an opportunity at an increase? Or are there just no increases to have?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sojourner2

New

Post by Sojourner2 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:05 pm

There might be. But I think they probably have a pretty good idea of what their yield rate is, and they probably give out money with that in mind. So just because people are turning down money doesn't mean there will be more for everyone else--UVA expects this to happen. Only if more people who have scholarships turn down UVA than usual/they expect will there be more money.

That is what I think, at least. I suppose they could save a little pool of money to negotiate right at the end, just as you are thinking you might do. But that strikes me as a risky strategy on their part because by then many students they might want will already have chosen to go elsewhere and might have been tempted to come to UVA if they had gotten a little more money.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:34 pm

So it sounds like everyone that has tried to appeal has been told they are out of funds? Is there anyone that sent an e-mail and is still waiting for a response?

alinor

New

Post by alinor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:02 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:So it sounds like everyone that has tried to appeal has been told they are out of funds? Is there anyone that sent an e-mail and is still waiting for a response?
I'm still waiting. It's been ~2 weeks.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:55 pm

So is that April 21 deposit deadline a strict deadline?

I'm still waiting on decisions from most of the T14 (and scholarship $ at a few).....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Withdrew. Good luck, y'all

Sojourner2

New

Post by Sojourner2 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:17 pm

james.bungles wrote:So is that April 21 deposit deadline a strict deadline?

I'm still waiting on decisions from most of the T14 (and scholarship $ at a few).....
I'd love to know if anyone has been told anything about this as well.

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Withdrew today, didn't get much $$ but hopefully it gets redistributed to some of you guys :)

albs18

Bronze

Post by albs18 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:00 am

Has anyone had success in negotiation scholarships?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”