Stanford Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
winenot

New

Re: Stanford Class of 2017

Post by winenot » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:41 pm

They have last year's ASW schedule on the ASW potion of the website. If you are doing their diversity event, then the ASW schedule is 4 days and starts on Friday instead of 3 days long starting on Saturday. I've summarized the activities from last year for you

Day One (non-diversity): breakfast, student organization fair, a campus tour of sorts, lunch and dean's welcome, a choice of faculty panel discussions, small group discussions with students, student projects panel discussion, dinner, dessert at faculty homes, casual evening get-together

Day Two: breakfast, choice of panel discussions on financial aid/joint degrees/career services, choice of info sessions on LRAP/teaching or campus tour, choice of alumni panel discussions, choice of faculty panel discussions, lunch, mock class, organized activities, women of stanford law sessions, small group dinners in palo alto

Day Three: breakfast, class visits

I'm still super undecided about where to go. But I've heard so many lovely things about Stanford that it's getting harder and harder to resist the siren song...

sabrina8740

New

Post by sabrina8740 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Thanks! I actually messaged someone from one of the prior threads and was able to get an idea based on last year's schedules. Excited to say my ticket is booked! I'm arriving mid-day Friday so I have some time to explore on my own and will be leaving around noon Monday.

Vincent

Bronze

Post by Vincent » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:21 am

winenot wrote:They have last year's ASW schedule on the ASW potion of the website. If you are doing their diversity event, then the ASW schedule is 4 days and starts on Friday instead of 3 days long starting on Saturday. I've summarized the activities from last year for you

Day One (non-diversity): breakfast, student organization fair, a campus tour of sorts, lunch and dean's welcome, a choice of faculty panel discussions, small group discussions with students, student projects panel discussion, dinner, dessert at faculty homes, casual evening get-together

Day Two: breakfast, choice of panel discussions on financial aid/joint degrees/career services, choice of info sessions on LRAP/teaching or campus tour, choice of alumni panel discussions, choice of faculty panel discussions, lunch, mock class, organized activities, women of stanford law sessions, small group dinners in palo alto

Day Three: breakfast, class visits

I'm still super undecided about where to go. But I've heard so many lovely things about Stanford that it's getting harder and harder to resist the siren song...
Day Zero (diversity) and Day One were actually pretty similar. I think Day Zero was more interesting, as you got to hear similar panels with a smaller group of people that you could get to know. Day One, with 300 people, could get a bit busy. Compared to larger ASWs (I'm looking at you, Georgetown) though, Stanford's was downright intimate - the faculty dinners were the best part. How many schools have faculty that are willing to open their homes to ASW students? :)
Last edited by Vincent on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent

Bronze

Post by Vincent » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:23 am

sabrina8740 wrote:Thanks! I actually messaged someone from one of the prior threads and was able to get an idea based on last year's schedules. Excited to say my ticket is booked! I'm arriving mid-day Friday so I have some time to explore on my own and will be leaving around noon Monday.
Random note: If you're a "diversity" candidate, one of the ethnic student associations may offer to house you for the weekend (on someone's couch in Munger, probably). Not sure if that's continuing this year, but it's something to consider before booking a hotel.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:54 pm

Checking in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Checking in. Anyone know when ASW is?

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:35 pm

cotiger wrote:Checking in. Anyone know when ASW is?
I think she mentioned it during the call.. depending on if you're a URM, it's April 4-7. April 4 is a diversity day and April 7 will just be class visits.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:38 pm

applelover wrote:
cotiger wrote:Checking in. Anyone know when ASW is?
I think she mentioned it during the call.. depending on if you're a URM, it's April 4-7. April 4 is a diversity day and April 7 will just be class visits.
Thanks for the info. In her 45 second message, Faye never even actually said I was accepted.. Which was kind of nerve racking until I got the acceptance email.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:01 pm

Just booked my flight. I'm so excited!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Vincent

Bronze

Post by Vincent » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:30 pm

applelover wrote:Just booked my flight. I'm so excited!
Can't wait to meet y'all!

...Also, at ASW, you guys are going to have to find me. I have no idea who anyone else is, but between the Facebook group and this thread, you should be able to figure out who I am :D

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Vincent wrote:
applelover wrote:Just booked my flight. I'm so excited!
Can't wait to meet y'all!

...Also, at ASW, you guys are going to have to find me. I have no idea who anyone else is, but between the Facebook group and this thread, you should be able to figure out who I am :D
I don't have the link to the Facebook group yet :(

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm very impressed with how fast they shipped my acceptance package to the east coast. I love my Moleskine.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:35 pm

applelover wrote:I'm very impressed with how fast they shipped my acceptance package to the east coast. I love my Moleskine.
:P
You should have it soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:41 am

crazyrobin wrote:
applelover wrote:I'm very impressed with how fast they shipped my acceptance package to the east coast. I love my Moleskine.
You should have it soon.
It already arrived! I'm so excited.

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:26 am

Content Deleted
Last edited by Moonlight on Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:18 am

Moonlight wrote:
applelover wrote:
crazyrobin wrote:
You should have it soon.
Hey, not admitted to Stanford yet (said hopefully), but I've been curious what this moleskin notebook looks like. Any of you want to upload a photo of it?
It looks just like the Moleskine notebooks you see on google, except it says Stanford on the cover.

gingerspice

New

Post by gingerspice » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Also got accepted on Thursday, and I think it's only just sinking in! My package hasn't arrived yet (also east coast), so I'll be looking forward to it all day tomorrow :D.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Joe Christmas

New

Post by Joe Christmas » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi, y'all! Long, long time lurker, first time poster here. I was accepted back in November, and the idea of SLS has really been growing on me.

Anybody else in the SLS v HLS boat? I would love to talk via PM about where people are with their decisions.

(If this thread is supposed to just be for people who've already decided on SLS, my bad. Carry on.)

Vincent

Bronze

Post by Vincent » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:36 am

applelover wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
applelover wrote:
crazyrobin wrote: :P
You should have it soon.
Hey, not admitted to Stanford yet (said hopefully), but I've been curious what this moleskin notebook looks like. Any of you want to upload a photo of it?
It looks just like the Moleskine notebooks you see on google, except it says Stanford on the cover.
I uploaded one in another thread; here it is:

Vincent

Bronze

Post by Vincent » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:38 am

Joe Christmas wrote:Hi, y'all! Long, long time lurker, first time poster here. I was accepted back in November, and the idea of SLS has really been growing on me.

Anybody else in the SLS v HLS boat? I would love to talk via PM about where people are with their decisions.

(If this thread is supposed to just be for people who've already decided on SLS, my bad. Carry on.)
Discussion welcome! Personally, I was never accepted to HLS (Booo! Hiss!) but I was so set on California post-JD that I don't think it would have mattered. What are you looking to do with your life?

blckwsl

New

Post by blckwsl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:36 am

Joe Christmas wrote:Hi, y'all! Long, long time lurker, first time poster here. I was accepted back in November, and the idea of SLS has really been growing on me.

Hey Joe, in the same boat here. I want to end up working in big law. I would like to work in a secondary market, but really anywhere other than NYC is fine with me. I have no real ties to any secondary market, though. Would SLS or HLS be better?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HarvardHopeful

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:05 pm

Last edited by HarvardHopeful on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howl

Bronze

Post by Howl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi everyone! Checking in. I never expected that I would have to factor Stanford into my final choice of school, so everything has been wonderfully wonky in my brain recently. :D

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:19 am

Checking in! It feels great to be able to do so.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Registered for ASW today :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”