Stanford Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
gma221

Bronze

Re: Stanford Class of 2017

Post by gma221 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
gma221 wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Bumping SLS back up to the part of the page you don't have to scroll down to see. :lol:

Checking In, I will try not to reduce the collective coolness too much. :)

Since I really had not anticipated a SLS acceptance, I have done pretty much no research. Does most of the information (AS log in, ASW, financial, etc.) come in the acceptance packet?
Hooray, congrats! Login info for the admitted students website will be in your acceptance packet. There was no financial info in mine, but it should be coming soon, so perhaps they include it in the acceptance packet for people who are admitted later in the cycle.
Thanks!

Do the acceptance packets tend to go out fairly quickly after acceptance?
Yup, mine was postmarked the day I received the call. If you're curious about admitted students weekend, it's April 5-7 and Stanford will reimburse up to $400 for flight expenses. There's a tentative schedule on the website. I'm stoked! :)

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:04 pm

gma221 wrote:Yup, mine was postmarked the day I received the call. If you're curious about admitted students weekend, it's April 5-7 and Stanford will reimburse up to $400 for flight expenses. There's a tentative schedule on the website. I'm stoked! :)
Thanks again, I am really going to try to make it to ASW, lets just hope work cooperates. Do you have to send in a form for the stipend, or what does that work?

gma221

Bronze

Post by gma221 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:42 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Thanks again, I am really going to try to make it to ASW, lets just hope work cooperates. Do you have to send in a form for the stipend, or what does that work?
Yeah, you have to mail in a form and your receipts by May 16.

I hope you can make it! Seems like it's going to be a pretty full weekend (day one begins at 8:30 a.m. and the last event of the day starts at 10 p.m., weeee).

LSAT9986

New

Post by LSAT9986 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Recent admit checking in! Just wanted to see if anyone knows what the best housing option is for those intending to bring one pet.

wrkrb

New

Post by wrkrb » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:12 pm

When are housing forms due? :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Poison

New

Post by Poison » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Does the login info to get to the admitted section of the SLS website come in the admissions packet or in an e-mail from the school? I hate waiting.

Poison

New

Post by Poison » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 pm

LSAT9986 wrote:Recent admit checking in! Just wanted to see if anyone knows what the best housing option is for those intending to bring one pet.
From the University Residence Agreement for on-campus housing (pdf: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/cgi-bi ... eement.pdf):
Pets of any kind, including aquatic, are prohibited in all University residences. If you are found to have such an animal, you will be charged an Administrative Fee of $100 per day from the date of discovery until it is permanently removed from campus. You will also be charged a mandatory cleaning fee due to the extra cleaning needed to bring the room or apartment back to a standard for a student who may have a pet allergy. Any damages created by the pet will be charged for according to our damage policy. Persistent or recurrent violation of this policy will cause you to lose your housing privileges. Any pets in Student Housing areas are to be leashed at all time and are never allowed in family courtyards.
They also recommend this list of pet-friendly off-campus apartments in the area: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/cgi-bi ... ccept-pets

HTH

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:00 pm

Poison wrote:Does the login info to get to the admitted section of the SLS website come in the admissions packet or in an e-mail from the school? I hate waiting.
It is in the admitted student's packet, check out gma221's post above. Still waiting on mine as well. 8)

Poison

New

Post by Poison » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
Poison wrote:Does the login info to get to the admitted section of the SLS website come in the admissions packet or in an e-mail from the school? I hate waiting.
It is in the admitted student's packet, check out gma221's post above. Still waiting on mine as well. 8)
Doh. Thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:38 pm

I was able to get logged into Axess today. Does anyone know whether the "To Do" list actually lists things you are missing or if it is just generic? The reason I ask is that the Need Access Application is listed as to do, but it was sent into Stanford over a month ago (though I was only just recently accepted).

LSAT9986

New

Post by LSAT9986 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Question - how long after an offer of admission was extended did it take to receive your financial aid offer?

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:58 pm

LSAT9986 wrote:Question - how long after an offer of admission was extended did it take to receive your financial aid offer?
Or, more precisely, how long after submitting NeedAccess/FAFSA?

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:01 am

Admission mid-late February. FAFSA had been submitted since early February. Sent revised FAFSA with parental income + Need Access last week of February. Received aid offer late last week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gma221

Bronze

Post by gma221 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:13 am

I received my financial aid letter today. I submitted the FAFSA in January and NeedAccess about a week before the March 15 deadline. I was admitted in mid-February.

Kind of surprised/disappointed about how little aid they offered me. The reality of massive loans is starting to sink in... :cry:

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:I was able to get logged into Axess today. Does anyone know whether the "To Do" list actually lists things you are missing or if it is just generic? The reason I ask is that the Need Access Application is listed as to do, but it was sent into Stanford over a month ago (though I was only just recently accepted).
1L here. IIRC from last year, the fin aid office is just kind of slow to update those "To Do" list items. I think I emailed them last year to confirm that they received my application and they took it off after that.

On a different note, we are so excited to meet you guys next week!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:19 pm

clouded.memory wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:I was able to get logged into Axess today. Does anyone know whether the "To Do" list actually lists things you are missing or if it is just generic? The reason I ask is that the Need Access Application is listed as to do, but it was sent into Stanford over a month ago (though I was only just recently accepted).
1L here. IIRC from last year, the fin aid office is just kind of slow to update those "To Do" list items. I think I emailed them last year to confirm that they received my application and they took it off after that.

On a different note, we are so excited to meet you guys next week!
Thank you, I'll probably just email them to be sure.

Do you happen to have any recommendations for a place to stay during ASW? Unfortunately my acceptance to SLS came after I committed most of my expendable income to ASWs elsewhere and now I'm pretty cash-strapped even with the 400$ airfare stipend. I've looked at things like AirBnB and even those are higher than what I'm comparatively used to (at least that is available during ASW).

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote: Thank you, I'll probably just email them to be sure.

Do you happen to have any recommendations for a place to stay during ASW? Unfortunately my acceptance to SLS came after I committed most of my expendable income to ASWs elsewhere and now I'm pretty cash-strapped even with the 400$ airfare stipend. I've looked at things like AirBnB and even those are higher than what I'm comparatively used to (at least that is available during ASW).
I don't, unfortunately. I stayed with an undergrad friend last year, so there was no need to look for a place. Maybe it's worth shooting off an email to Admissions and asking if they can help you out? I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on that front. :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:31 pm

clouded.memory wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote: Thank you, I'll probably just email them to be sure.

I don't, unfortunately. I stayed with an undergrad friend last year, so there was no need to look for a place. Maybe it's worth shooting off an email to Admissions and asking if they can help you out? I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on that front. :(
No worries, looks like I have more to put in my email. :lol:

stephenholder

New

Post by stephenholder » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Anyone have experience/thoughts about commuting to/from San Francisco? I'd move west with my SO, who would work in San Francisco. We'd live in San Francisco and I'd commute or we'd live near Stanford and s/he'd commute. Caltrain seems like a decent option, but only if we don't need to get far from the downtown station (i.e., it looks like getting across the city from there takes time, and getting across the bay takes way too much time). We'll probably keep our car, so that's another option.

One other question: as best I understand the housing policy, we'd qualify for on-campus couples housing only if we're married or s/he's also a Stanford student. Is that right?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:35 pm

stephenholder wrote:Anyone have experience/thoughts about commuting to/from San Francisco? I'd move west with my SO, who would work in San Francisco. We'd live in San Francisco and I'd commute or we'd live near Stanford and s/he'd commute. Caltrain seems like a decent option, but only if we don't need to get far from the downtown station (i.e., it looks like getting across the city from there takes time, and getting across the bay takes way too much time). We'll probably keep our car, so that's another option.

One other question: as best I understand the housing policy, we'd qualify for on-campus couples housing only if we're married or s/he's also a Stanford student. Is that right?

Interested in this as well.

However, I don't think you actually have to be married, just domestic partners.

stephenholder

New

Post by stephenholder » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
stephenholder wrote:Anyone have experience/thoughts about commuting to/from San Francisco? I'd move west with my SO, who would work in San Francisco. We'd live in San Francisco and I'd commute or we'd live near Stanford and s/he'd commute. Caltrain seems like a decent option, but only if we don't need to get far from the downtown station (i.e., it looks like getting across the city from there takes time, and getting across the bay takes way too much time). We'll probably keep our car, so that's another option.

OK, thanks! Nonconsecutive and I are different people, but not obviously.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:44 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:

I believe you only have to qualify as domestic partners, as well. I think there's some information here: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/cgi-bi ... t-children

I think taking Caltrain from the city to campus is probably about an hour commute or so. I'm not quite sure - that would be a good question to ask at ASW to a 2L or 3L who lives off-campus. I'm not sure there are any 1Ls who live that far off campus (but I could be wrong). I think driving would probably be very difficult, however, just because traffic can be so bad.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:48 pm

stephenholder wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

OK, thanks! Nonconsecutive and I are different people, but not obviously.
:lol:

For more detail on the living with your SO aspect see the top paragraphs on this page if you haven't checked it out already, it mentions the domestic partnership: Stanford Couples Housing Information

Now I will shaddup and let people who are actually knowledgeable look at your commute question before I bury it.

ETA: scooped entirely, :mrgreen:

stephenholder

New

Post by stephenholder » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:49 pm

clouded.memory wrote: I believe you only have to qualify as domestic partners, as well. I think there's some information here: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/cgi-bi ... t-children

I think taking Caltrain from the city to campus is probably about an hour commute or so. I'm not quite sure - that would be a good question to ask at ASW to a 2L or 3L who lives off-campus. I'm not sure there are any 1Ls who live that far off campus (but I could be wrong). I think driving would probably be very difficult, however, just because traffic can be so bad.
Thanks for that link!

ETA: Nonconsecutive too.

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:07 pm

I managed to find a 1L who commutes from SF! Therefore, from someone who knows better than I about these matters:

During rush hour times (7-9 in the morning; 4:45-7 in the evening) it takes about 40-50 minutes on Caltrain then about a 10 minute bike ride (but this person notes this is because they live right next to Caltrain on the SF side). People who drive say it takes about 45 mins - 1hr. This person thinks driving would be frustrating because you can at least get work done on the train (as opposed to driving - and there's a LOT of work to do during 1L). This person also cautioned that the decision to take Caltrain depends on where you live, because if they did not live as close to the Caltrain station as they did, the commute might be more difficult.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”