Cornell Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Lavitz

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:56 pm

Lincoln wrote:Plus you get to meet Professor (now Dean) Cinnamon Delight.

Lavitz wrote:I feel like I'm missing a reference here.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:01 am

Lavitz wrote:
Lincoln wrote:Plus you get to meet Professor (now Dean) Cinnamon Delight.

Lavitz wrote:I feel like I'm missing a reference here.

Let's just say Dean Peñalver had quite the female fan base back when he taught Property at Cornell (before decamping to Chicago).

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:13 am

Lincoln wrote:Let's just say Dean Peñalver had quite the female fan base back when he taught Property at Cornell (before decamping to Chicago).

Ah. I figured it must be a nickname from back then but...interesting explanation.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:47 pm

If we don't get our id pics in time for the july 10th deadline, is that okay too or?....

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Bajam wrote:If we don't get our id pics in time for the july 10th deadline, is that okay too or?....

I forget if they accept them after that (they probably do) but it doesn't really matter because you don't even have to take them. If you never send one in, they'll just take one for you at orientation.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Bajam wrote:If we don't get our id pics in time for the july 10th deadline, is that okay too or?....

I forget if they accept them after that (they probably do) but it doesn't really matter because you don't even have to take them. If you never send one in, they'll just take one for you at orientation.

You have to walk ~10 min to get one taken.

Not a big deal, but it isn't like some "group event to take pictures" thing. People around me mostly had them already done.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks everyone, gonna try to do it before then, but I guess we'll see

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:01 am

Just realized I forgot to check the box to add the origination fee to my Grad Plus loan so I just sent financial aid an email. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a major issue and I guess I could just pay it from my savings, but I have a feeling this is going to cause me an unnecessary amount of stress haha.

AlwaysPaysHisDebts

Postby AlwaysPaysHisDebts » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Hey guys, I returned from a trip to China just a few days ago and I'm still looking for a place to live. I've got a couple questions if you guys would be so kind to answer :)

1. Does anyone know whether Hughes is already filled up? Should I just give up on that dorm?

2. Are the other dorms close to the law school? Or are they around the same as collegetown terrace apts?

Of course, if anyone who lives near campus is looking for a roommate I'd definitely be up for it as well. Thanks!

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:18 pm

AlwaysPaysHisDebts wrote:Hey guys, I returned from a trip to China just a few days ago and I'm still looking for a place to live. I've got a couple questions if you guys would be so kind to answer :)

1. Does anyone know whether Hughes is already filled up? Should I just give up on that dorm?

2. Are the other dorms close to the law school? Or are they around the same as collegetown terrace apts?

Of course, if anyone who lives near campus is looking for a roommate I'd definitely be up for it as well. Thanks!

1. It probably is unless everyone who was on the waitlist for it found other housing and withdrew and someone subsequently decided to attend another school.

2. Dorms? No, not really. You could technically live in Maplewood, but it's not close and I wouldn't recommend it. You might as well live in collegetown terrace at that point.

koval

Postby koval » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:31 pm

AlwaysPaysHisDebts wrote:Hey guys, I returned from a trip to China just a few days ago and I'm still looking for a place to live. I've got a couple questions if you guys would be so kind to answer :)

13 South Ave might be an option if there's still space.

BronxBlu21

Postby BronxBlu21 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:28 am

Dat der doo do de der doe

vicpin5190

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wpi17

Postby wpi17 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi all,
I am subletting a 1 BR/Bath at the new Collegetown Terrace apartments (905 E. State St.) for the upcoming academic year. I lived in the apartment my 1L year and renewed the lease in the spring, but I recently decided to transfer. The apartment is available starting August 15th. From speaking with my landlord, it's the only 1 BR left in the home-style apartments (so it doesn't feel like a dorm). Also, you'll be getting the apartment at a $100 discount/month since my lease is at the special "renewal rate."

Everything is like-new in the apartment, you get a free gym membership, free wi-fi, free heat/AC, in-unit washer/dryer, covered parking, and it is just a 10 minute walk to the law school, Collegetown, and Ithaca Commons. It really is the best housing option in Ithaca. You can see pictures of the building, gym, and rooms here: http://collegetownterraceithaca.com/index.php

PM me if you are interested or would like to see pictures of the apartment, and I wish you all the best of luck at Cornell Law this upcoming year!

riverwater

Postby riverwater » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:08 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:Lebron James leaving the Miami Heat was probably the best thing that could have happened for my 1L year.

Edit: Bosh is staying, maybe I'm not saved after all :lol:

need more information. are you a heat fan?

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 pm

riverwater wrote:
vicpin5190 wrote:Lebron James leaving the Miami Heat was probably the best thing that could have happened for my 1L year.

Edit: Bosh is staying, maybe I'm not saved after all :lol:

need more information. are you a heat fan?

I'm from Cleveland, fuck yeah today was such a good day

Edit: LOL they paid bosh the max

King Cayuga

Postby King Cayuga » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:58 am

Anyone else looking at taking out private loans instead of federal ones, especially the high-interest GradPLUS loans? The private one have lower interest rates, no fees, and discounts for different things like good grades, opening checking accounts with them, and setting up a direct-debit repayment. The only advantage of federal ones(that I can see) is the more forgiving repayment plans, which would be moot in a biglaw situation.

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:11 am

King Cayuga wrote:Anyone else looking at taking out private loans instead of federal ones, especially the high-interest GradPLUS loans? The private one have lower interest rates, no fees, and discounts for different things like good grades, opening checking accounts with them, and setting up a direct-debit repayment. The only advantage of federal ones(that I can see) is the more forgiving repayment plans, which would be moot in a biglaw situation.

I believe TLS sentiment leans in the direction of taking the GradPLUS loans for the sake of the security offered by PAYE/IBR/PSLF repayment opportunities. The big law job offer is not in hand upon enrollment, and locking yourself into a situation where you can only service your loans through a single career outcome may be presumptuous at this point. So, the advice goes that you should do GRADPlus and if you find yourself with a big law job, go ahead and refinance some or all of your loans to <3% with SoFi, Darien Rowayton Bank, or a similar bank at the time.

King Cayuga

Postby King Cayuga » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:49 am

snagglepuss wrote:
King Cayuga wrote:Anyone else looking at taking out private loans instead of federal ones, especially the high-interest GradPLUS loans? The private one have lower interest rates, no fees, and discounts for different things like good grades, opening checking accounts with them, and setting up a direct-debit repayment. The only advantage of federal ones(that I can see) is the more forgiving repayment plans, which would be moot in a biglaw situation.

I believe TLS sentiment leans in the direction of taking the GradPLUS loans for the sake of the security offered by PAYE/IBR/PSLF repayment opportunities. The big law job offer is not in hand upon enrollment, and locking yourself into a situation where you can only service your loans through a single career outcome may be presumptuous at this point. So, the advice goes that you should do GRADPlus and if you find yourself with a big law job, go ahead and refinance some or all of your loans to <3% with SoFi, Darien Rowayton Bank, or a similar bank at the time.

Yeah, it's just that after my grant money and the low-interest federal loans the extra loans I'll need are in the mid five figures, so the risk of private loans wouldn't be as large. Would using federal loans for this year and then rethinking this after I get my 1L grades be a good idea?

vicpin5190

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:25 am

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snagglepuss

Postby snagglepuss » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:42 am

King Cayuga wrote:Yeah, it's just that after my grant money and the low-interest federal loans the extra loans I'll need are in the mid five figures, so the risk of private loans wouldn't be as large. Would using federal loans for this year and then rethinking this after I get my 1L grades be a good idea?

I'm in a comparable situation and even though I'm not very risk-averse I'll be taking on some 7.21% Graduate loans with the brutal ~4.3% origination fee because I think the total debtload to be serviced is rather sizable when you factor in [presumably] $6K in Perkins loans and $61,500 in 6.21% Fed Direct Unsub loans. I admittedly haven't shopped rates (I assume the best private loan offers are around 10-year repayment schedule, fixed interest rate at ~prime+1 through a credit union or small bank?) but I value holding open the government repayment options, forbearance options, disbursement tailored to the school year, and easily adjustable repayment schedule during my time in school over shaving a few points on my loans for three years when I know I can refinance my loans privately at anytime.

Also, the personal finance thread may be able to provide more nuance than I have and help you sort out particulars if you know the terms of the private loans available to you. And maybe private is the way to go if you got a killer rate and have family finances that could support you in a non-ideal situational outcome, though.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:23 am

Do these loans require you to start repaying after graduation? You won't start working until September at the earlier, and likely even later, which work fine with the federal loans.

riverwater

Postby riverwater » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:00 pm

x
Last edited by riverwater on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vicpin5190

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:29 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mt2165

Postby mt2165 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:17 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:
riverwater wrote:@vicpin: four straight finals, two titles = no sympathy from me bc I'm a wizards fan / @mt: happy for you, but not too happy bc I'm a wizards fan

Ha, no worries. I don't want sympathy! I appreciate everything we've had the past four years. It still sucks to lose the best player in the game. Like I said though, at least Bosh stopped the bleeding and will probably be regarded with so much more respect than ever in Miami (and/or general apathy because it's Miami...). It's the east, so we're probably still good for 4th seed.

Ehhh maybe, you'll now lose to Chicago, Indy, Washington, Brooklyn, and prolly Cleveland. And maybe even Toronto :cry:

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”