Cornell Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
riverwater
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby riverwater » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:11 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
riverwater wrote:Now the FB group is getting weird


How do? Are you talking about the UChicago thing, or everyone getting drinks in different cities?


The UChicago thing was....perplexing. Otherwise, FB seems pretty normal to me. Unless I don't know what normal is any more, in which case carry on.

Just checked and the post is no longer there. Someone wrote "Are you soft?" Literally, only that. I think it was one of those pesky 2Ls.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Lavitz » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:18 pm

riverwater wrote:Just checked and the post is no longer there. Someone wrote "Are you soft?" Literally, only that. I think it was one of those pesky 2Ls.

:lol:

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bincognito
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:37 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby bincognito » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:51 am

.

surfkidwater
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby surfkidwater » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:19 am

do incoming 1Ls have to pre-register for classes? i was told that we wouldn't have to worry about it but i was wondering if someone could just confirm that. thanks.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby toothbrush » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:23 am

surfkidwater wrote:do incoming 1Ls have to pre-register for classes? i was told that we wouldn't have to worry about it but i was wondering if someone could just confirm that. thanks.

nope you will be put into a section and registered for the classes. don't have to do anything.

edit: they will send you reminders to pre-register, though. dont worry about it.

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby toothbrush » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:50 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:That awkward moment when your Tdap vaccine isn't up to date and you have to get a booster so your file will be considered complete. :|

I never realized mine was incomplete and was fined like 120 bucks in October. They did it at Gannett for me and waived the charge. Random shots.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Lavitz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:38 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:That awkward moment when your Tdap vaccine isn't up to date and you have to get a booster so your file will be considered complete. :|

Yeah, that's what I did.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby SteelPenguin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:29 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:That awkward moment when your Tdap vaccine isn't up to date and you have to get a booster so your file will be considered complete. :|


Lucky. I never got it and now have to get 2 more of them in the next few months.

User avatar
Yea All Right
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Yea All Right » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:49 pm

There is currently an ongoing discussion about the Academic Orientation Program in the Facebook group. If you want more information about it, refer to Lavitz's (awesome) OP.

I am not one of the people who commented on that post, just an observer. I got an invite but decided not to go. Seems like there is a legit amount of interest in it though.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Lavitz » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Yea All Right wrote:There is currently an ongoing discussion about the Academic Orientation Program in the Facebook group. If you want more information about it, refer to Lavitz's (awesome) OP.

I am not one of the people who commented on that post, just an observer. I got an invite but decided not to go. Seems like there is a legit amount of interest in it though.

Yeah, I just asked one of the AOP TA's to login to FB and answer questions about it. Thank you for noticing that it was in the OP though.

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ramadden13
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:45 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby ramadden13 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Lavitz's AOP TA here! I'm happy to answer any questions on Facebook or here on TLS that anyone has about the program!

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby bombaysippin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:40 pm

So for everyone that got the email about loans...are we just waiting until around July 1 for our info to be submitted by the school before doing anything or did I miss something?...

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:45 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Trippel
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:52 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Trippel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:47 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:
Bajam wrote:So for everyone that got the email about loans...are we just waiting until around July 1 for our info to be submitted by the school before doing anything or did I miss something?...


I was under the impression we would have to submit the Grad PLUS stuff before the 1st. Am I wrong? I sent an email to finaid this afternoon to ask a few questions, so I guess I'll see what they say...


Yeah, that's my take on it.

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby bombaysippin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:04 pm

hmmm but not for anything like the stafford or perkins?

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:04 am

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aight_123234
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby aight_123234 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:40 am

ramadden13 wrote:Lavitz's AOP TA here! I'm happy to answer any questions on Facebook or here on TLS that anyone has about the program!


Is this pre-orientation thing only for those who are invited, because I never heard anything about it and would have liked to attend?

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:42 am

aight_123234 wrote:
ramadden13 wrote:Lavitz's AOP TA here! I'm happy to answer any questions on Facebook or here on TLS that anyone has about the program!


Is this pre-orientation thing only for those who are invited, because I never heard anything about it and would have liked to attend?

Yes. You could send an email to admissions to ask if there is any room, though. I think I remember people doing that last year. I forget how that turned out, though.

You're invited if you write a DS. At least that's how it was last year.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Lavitz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:47 am

toothbrush wrote:
aight_123234 wrote:
ramadden13 wrote:Lavitz's AOP TA here! I'm happy to answer any questions on Facebook or here on TLS that anyone has about the program!


Is this pre-orientation thing only for those who are invited, because I never heard anything about it and would have liked to attend?

Yes. You could send an email to admissions to ask if there is any room, though. I think I remember people doing that last year. I forget how that turned out, though.

You're invited if you write a DS. At least that's how it was last year.

Not admissions. You should e-mail Professor Johnson and ask her. I don't think admissions can do anything without contacting Professor Johnson anyway. This is the advice I gave last year and it worked for at least one person. This is also the advice ramadden's giving everyone who asks him why they weren't invited. Writing a DS is usually a necessary but not a sufficient condition. But if you did write one and weren't invited, Professor Johnson may let you attend.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:51 am

fwiw AOP seems like it was a lot of work for little reward. that is, none of those students have a "leg up" on everyone else short-term or long term. I mean, sure, they were already scarred by BHS so they got that out of the way, but besides that, it's a wash. If you just want the social aspect, you can attend all of the things if you're in ithaca, i'm sure. I know I attended atleast one of those events, and I wasn't going to AOP.

moral of the story: if you got into AOP and plan to go - have fun! if not, don't sweat it.

aight_123234
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby aight_123234 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks for the quick and detailed replies, definitely helpful!

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby toothbrush » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:10 am

Anyone still looking for housing and want to live in Collegetown Terrace? PM me. :)




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest