Cornell Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu May 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Apartment hunting sounds like a pain this late in the game, Hughes is looking better every day. I wish we could move in a little earlier though.

-dasein-
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:52 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby -dasein- » Thu May 01, 2014 4:16 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:Apartment hunting sounds like a pain this late in the game, Hughes is looking better every day. I wish we could move in a little earlier though.


What's the move-in date for Hughes?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Lavitz » Thu May 01, 2014 4:23 pm

-dasein- wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:Apartment hunting sounds like a pain this late in the game, Hughes is looking better every day. I wish we could move in a little earlier though.


What's the move-in date for Hughes?

Two days before orientation, lol. Unless you get invited to AOP. This is all in the OP.

Just wait until all of your classmates are posting about how much fun they're having in Ithaca, while you sit at home, waiting to move into Hughes...

It's worth it, though.

bayareabruin
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby bayareabruin » Thu May 01, 2014 6:41 pm

.
Last edited by bayareabruin on Thu May 08, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riverwater
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby riverwater » Fri May 02, 2014 12:11 am

Lavitz, you've probably already answered this, but if I filled out my Hughes housing form right around the deposit deadline, what do you think the odds are that I get off the WL? Trying to figure out how aggressively I should pursue other housing options.

-dasein-
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:52 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby -dasein- » Fri May 02, 2014 12:38 am

Lavitz wrote:
-dasein- wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:Apartment hunting sounds like a pain this late in the game, Hughes is looking better every day. I wish we could move in a little earlier though.


What's the move-in date for Hughes?

Two days before orientation, lol. Unless you get invited to AOP. This is all in the OP.

Just wait until all of your classmates are posting about how much fun they're having in Ithaca, while you sit at home, waiting to move into Hughes...

It's worth it, though.


Thanks for directing me to the front page, lots of useful info there.

If you don't have the constraints of Hughes, when do you think is the best time to move to Ithaca?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Lavitz » Fri May 02, 2014 6:41 am

riverwater wrote:Lavitz, you've probably already answered this, but if I filled out my Hughes housing form right around the deposit deadline, what do you think the odds are that I get off the WL? Trying to figure out how aggressively I should pursue other housing options.

That is the question, isn't it? It's pretty good, but that's precisely because most people decide that they don't want to take the risk of waiting it out, so they find other places. I remember there was a week in June where every day someone was posting in the fb group that they were withdraing and needed someone to take over their lease. So I guess you could wait until June, which is after the second deposit deadline, then if you don't get in by then, camp out the fb group (lol), then start actually looking aggressively. I know toothbrush was riding some WLs, so he waited until the last minute to sign at collegetown terrace; that's always an option if you can't find anything else late in the game.

-dasein- wrote:If you don't have the constraints of Hughes, when do you think is the best time to move to Ithaca?

Anytime in August is fine, but try to give yourself a week before orientation. You get to explore Ithaca in the summer with no work to do yet. And people should be using the fb group to meet up with each other by then. Hopefully someone arranges a wine tour or a hiking trip again.

Winter is Coming
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri May 02, 2014 8:48 am

-dasein- wrote:Anytime in August is fine, but try to give yourself a week before orientation. You get to explore Ithaca in the summer with no work to do yet. And people should be using the fb group to meet up with each other by then. Hopefully someone arranges a wine tour or a hiking trip again.


I read that as "wine tour hiking trip" at first which sounded incredibly fun/incredibly dangerous given some of the paths I saw up there haha.

riverwater
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby riverwater » Fri May 02, 2014 9:33 am

Lavitz wrote:
riverwater wrote:Lavitz, you've probably already answered this, but if I filled out my Hughes housing form right around the deposit deadline, what do you think the odds are that I get off the WL? Trying to figure out how aggressively I should pursue other housing options.

That is the question, isn't it? It's pretty good, but that's precisely because most people decide that they don't want to take the risk of waiting it out, so they find other places. I remember there was a week in June where every day someone was posting in the fb group that they were withdraing and needed someone to take over their lease. So I guess you could wait until June, which is after the second deposit deadline, then if you don't get in by then, camp out the fb group (lol), then start actually looking aggressively. I know toothbrush was riding some WLs, so he waited until the last minute to sign at collegetown terrace; that's always an option if you can't find anything else late in the game.

Seems like a good strategy. Lavitz, we're lucky to have you here.

-dasein-
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:52 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby -dasein- » Fri May 02, 2014 9:53 am

riverwater wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
riverwater wrote:Lavitz, you've probably already answered this, but if I filled out my Hughes housing form right around the deposit deadline, what do you think the odds are that I get off the WL? Trying to figure out how aggressively I should pursue other housing options.

That is the question, isn't it? It's pretty good, but that's precisely because most people decide that they don't want to take the risk of waiting it out, so they find other places. I remember there was a week in June where every day someone was posting in the fb group that they were withdraing and needed someone to take over their lease. So I guess you could wait until June, which is after the second deposit deadline, then if you don't get in by then, camp out the fb group (lol), then start actually looking aggressively. I know toothbrush was riding some WLs, so he waited until the last minute to sign at collegetown terrace; that's always an option if you can't find anything else late in the game.

Seems like a good strategy. Lavitz, we're lucky to have you here.


+1!

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Otunga » Fri May 02, 2014 12:10 pm

Suppose I want to bid NYC and Boston. Can I bid NYC exclusively at Cornell's OCI and then attend Cornell's Boston job fair for those large firms?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Lavitz » Fri May 02, 2014 12:25 pm

Otunga wrote:Suppose I want to bid NYC and Boston. Can I bid NYC exclusively at Cornell's OCI and then attend Cornell's Boston job fair for those large firms?

You should ask this in the taking questions thread because I don't remember the specifics of which Boston firms attend AJF and which are at the Boston job fair, and I don't get the list of firms for another month or so. But I think there are certain Boston firms you should bid on at AJF.

krnpridejk
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby krnpridejk » Sun May 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:Haha honestly I just think I'm better off mental health-wise not living in the law school, with five other law students. Figure I'm probably gonna be lawed out some days.

And no the FB isn't really that bad, I just think the kid commenting on everyone's post talking about deferring is pretty great.


yah i def think living off campus will be better for me too in terms of mental health, probably will live in collegetown terrace or sth myself but still looking!

Lol at everyone's view on the FBI group! Haha but I don't remember seeing any kid commenting on everyone's posts,talking about deferring..Lol whoever the kid is though, I guess he sounds pretty socially awkward? lol

User avatar
Yea All Right
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Yea All Right » Sun May 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Hahah people will be socially awkward at this point since we're excited for law school and meeting others but need to stay professional/polite.

User avatar
koval
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby koval » Tue May 06, 2014 9:52 am

Everyone of the CLS 2017 FB page is posting about Collegtown Terrace. Are these guys getting a deal or is this where people are living if they don't end up doing Hughes?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3094
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Lavitz » Tue May 06, 2014 10:37 am

koval wrote:Everyone of the CLS 2017 FB page is posting about Collegtown Terrace. Are these guys getting a deal or is this where people are living if they don't end up doing Hughes?

If those prices are accurate, 720/person for a 3BR in Collegetown Terrace sounds like a good deal. Cheaper than Hughes (or about the same if you can't find a sublettor), about the same number of roommates, nicer amenities, have to share the kitchen with less people, but farther away and I can't speak to the community aspect. 1000/person for a 2BR is ok, too.

It's usually a fallback just because they usually have openings until late summer, so people know they can look for something better. I'd pick Hughes because I'd rather be close to the law school, but Collegetown Terrace isn't a bad option.

User avatar
BuddyHoller
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby BuddyHoller » Tue May 06, 2014 11:18 am

Anyone looked at family housing? I would be bringing a significant other, no kids.

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pahuber2
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby pahuber2 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:07 pm

Hey all! Feels good to finally be checking in! Received my addy and scholarship late in the game and I've finally pulled the trigger. Excited to see y'all in the fall!

Anyone looking at other apartments by the folks behind Collegetown Terrace? I really like their place on 115 S. Quarry, they're dorm-style; some rooms have a private bathroom and others are shared. The place also has a workout facility and a billiard room :shock: Who wants to be my regular billiard partner? High stakes, of course. This is Cornell, after all...

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby bombaysippin » Tue May 06, 2014 11:10 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:Checking back in...... :shock:


oh snap, welcome back!

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Lincoln » Tue May 06, 2014 11:27 pm

BuddyHoller wrote:Anyone looked at family housing? I would be bringing a significant other, no kids.

Just get a 1BR downtown.

User avatar
vicpin5190
Posts: 743
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:25 am

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winter is Coming
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed May 07, 2014 9:25 am

vicpin5190 wrote:
Bajam wrote:
vicpin5190 wrote:Checking back in...... :shock:


oh snap, welcome back!



Yeah, my cycle has defied any and all standard and conventional TLS wisdom about someone who ED'd with my stats. PM for details, but I was really floored (in a good way, obviously) by the response I got to my e-mail.

Anyway...now I'm super late in the game in finding housing (fantastic). Fingers crossed. I may post something in the FBook group if push comes to shove....


Awesome.

User avatar
koval
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby koval » Wed May 07, 2014 9:46 am

Saw on the FB page that some people got off the Hughes wait list. Anyone else going to ride this out for a while?

User avatar
King Cayuga
Posts: 1022
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Postby King Cayuga » Wed May 07, 2014 10:14 am

koval wrote:Saw on the FB page that some people got off the Hughes wait list. Anyone else going to ride this out for a while?


I plan to for a while. I submitted the housing application on the 20th, five days before the deposit deadline, so I'm pretty confident I'll receive an offer relatively soon.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest