Cornell Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
bombaysippin

Gold

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Post by bombaysippin » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Another day of a mailbox full of junk.

vicpin5190

Silver

Post removed.

Post by vicpin5190 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:44 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:50 pm

WOW, didn't know an apartment complex could ever look this good - Palatial living has come to Ithaca my friends - who's game for living here next year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDdoNJZselA#t=99
http://collegetownterraceithaca.com/gallery.php
http://collegetownterraceithaca.com/index.php
Last edited by PrideandGlory1776 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:06 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:Didn't know an apartment complex could ever look this good - Paradise has come to Ithaca my friends - who's living here with me?

Yeah, they sold the complex really well in that video.

But I still don't see a squat rack in that gym.

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:07 pm

http://collegetownterraceithaca.com/fitness_center.php Smith-Machine Squat Rack found - Right-center screen on 1st gallery pic - this place is amazing!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:37 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:http://collegetownterraceithaca.com/fitness_center.php Smith-Machine Squat Rack found - Right-center screen on 1st gallery pic - this place is amazing!
yes, this is the only machine here for that, though. normally gym kinda busy during the rush hour, but there's never too much of a wait.

will field questions again about living in CTT if anyone wants.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:44 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:http://collegetownterraceithaca.com/fitness_center.php Smith-Machine Squat Rack found - Right-center screen on 1st gallery pic - this place is amazing!
:|

As a point in favor of CTT though, apparently the 1BRs are large enough to host a mixer between 2 sections.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:49 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:WOW, didn't know an apartment complex could ever look this good - Palatial living has come to Ithaca my friends - who's game for living here next year?

Oh, Ithaca, I can't wait for us to meet in a few more weeks!

Was anyone else scared sh*tless by the financial aid email this evening?? I thought it was info on my offer. Ugh. Quit playing games with my heart, Cornell! :evil:

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Just got letter. Very small award (less than 35k in TOTAL). Upset :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:13 pm

pasting a PM i sent to someone about pricing at CTT and whether i think it's worf.

Disclaimer. I don't work for CTT so everything is ball park.

Microapartments (~250sq) ~900/mo
Studios (350-450sq ft) ~1350/mo
1Br (4-550 sq) ~1650/mo
2Br (huge) ~2200/mo

Covered parking ~600 /yr
Fees ~200 (garbage, etc)
Electricity ~30/mo

Internet + heat included.

I don't think anyone needs to live in a 1BR. A studio is plenty big. 1Br's are luxuriously nice, though. I can't justify the extra 3k/year, though.

I think it's definitely worth the cost for 1L year. Especially since you likely don't know much about Ithaca. The housing market moves quickly and the best places are scooped by word of mouth. There are decent places for ~600/mo that I've seen, but they're passed down through social circles (law school) so I don't think there's a chance at that for 1L. Maybe, though. It's also worth noting that Hughes isn't that much cheaper / month, and you can't live there over the summer if you wanted to. (or during the writing comp :P)

I chose to resign for next year because I don't want to worry about the moving in the summer. Also resigning leases ends up with overlap if you move. For instance some people have full year leases, others end in random parts of the summer. I know most people who are living here are resigning (~30 1L's?) and many more people are moving in for next year.

It's also extremely convenient in location. The shuttle runs every 20 mins in the morning and takes 5 mins to get to school, if that. Then I walk home in ~10 mins or catch the shuttle/public bus if i'm lazy. It's quiet and its nice. Never runs out of hot water. Heat always on. Lots of things I've heard people complain about in their apartments dont exist.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:22 pm

toothbrush wrote:pasting a PM i sent to someone about pricing at CTT and whether i think it's worf.

Disclaimer. I don't work for CTT so everything is ball park.

Microapartments (~250sq) ~900/mo
Studios (350-450sq ft) ~1350/mo
1Br (4-550 sq) ~1650/mo
2Br (huge) ~2200/mo

Covered parking ~600 /yr
Fees ~200 (garbage, etc)
Electricity ~30/mo

Internet + heat included.

I don't think anyone needs to live in a 1BR. A studio is plenty big. 1Br's are luxuriously nice, though. I can't justify the extra 3k/year, though.

I think it's definitely worth the cost for 1L year. Especially since you likely don't know much about Ithaca. The housing market moves quickly and the best places are scooped by word of mouth. There are decent places for ~600/mo that I've seen, but they're passed down through social circles (law school) so I don't think there's a chance at that for 1L. Maybe, though. It's also worth noting that Hughes isn't that much cheaper / month, and you can't live there over the summer if you wanted to. (or during the writing comp :P)

I chose to resign for next year because I don't want to worry about the moving in the summer. Also resigning leases ends up with overlap if you move. For instance some people have full year leases, others end in random parts of the summer. I know most people who are living here are resigning (~30 1L's?) and many more people are moving in for next year.

It's also extremely convenient in location. The shuttle runs every 20 mins in the morning and takes 5 mins to get to school, if that. Then I walk home in ~10 mins or catch the shuttle/public bus if i'm lazy. It's quiet and its nice. Never runs out of hot water. Heat always on. Lots of things I've heard people complain about in their apartments dont exist.
Thanks toothbrush!!!!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:47 pm

For those trying to save money, keep in mind that there are cheaper (and free!) housing alternatives than those discussed in this thread. Living downtown is about 30-50% cheaper than living in ctown. The various housing coops, although not for everyone, are generally very close to MTH and amazingly cheap. Telluride house, for example, is closer than any housing except Hughes, and it's completely free, including all meals (which are cooked by professional kitchen staff). Just something to keep in mind before you spend $1000+ per month on housing.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:51 pm

Because I like to mess with toothbrush:
toothbrush wrote:It's also extremely convenient in location. The shuttle runs every 20 mins in the morning and takes 5 mins to get to school, if that. Then I walk home in ~10 mins or catch the shuttle/public bus if i'm lazy. It's quiet and its nice.
Tell them how many times you were late for Torts because you missed that shuttle. :P I overslept yesterday, woke up at 9:02 and made it to my 9:05 class.

How often does it run during the day? I'm sure the shuttle helps mitigate the distance for most people. But I like to study in my room / cook in the kitchen throughout the day, so it's not for everybody.
toothbrush wrote:It's also worth noting that Hughes isn't that much cheaper / month, and you can't live there over the summer if you wanted to. (or during the writing comp :P)
Last part isn't really true. You can pay $35/day to stay here during the writing competition. It's not really necessary to stay here, although I know some 2Ls who recommended it because there are less distractions.

And most people aren't going to stay here over the summer. It's much easier to find a sublet here for the summer than to sublet your place. There's more supply than demand, so even if you lived in Hughes and got one of the few good 1L summer gigs in Ithaca (like toothbrush did), it would be really easy to find a place to stay.
toothbrush wrote:The housing market moves quickly and the best places are scooped by word of mouth.
This is credited. All the way back in October, a group of us found some nice 4BR places that would've been like 500/month each and close to the law school, then we got scooped before we could even set up a viewing.

Lincoln wrote:For those trying to save money, keep in mind that there are cheaper (and free!) housing alternatives than those discussed in this thread. Living downtown is about 30-50% cheaper than living in ctown. The various housing coops, although not for everyone, are generally very close to MTH and amazingly cheap. Telluride house, for example, is closer than any housing except Hughes, and it's completely free, including all meals (which are cooked by professional kitchen staff). Just something to keep in mind before you spend $1000+ per month on housing.
Interesting. Never heard of this place. The only one I know of is the Center for Jewish Living.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:54 pm

Lincoln wrote:For those trying to save money, keep in mind that there are cheaper (and free!) housing alternatives than those discussed in this thread. Living downtown is about 30-50% cheaper than living in ctown. The various housing coops, although not for everyone, are generally very close to MTH and amazingly cheap. Telluride house, for example, is closer than any housing except Hughes, and it's completely free, including all meals (which are cooked by professional kitchen staff). Just something to keep in mind before you spend $1000+ per month on housing.
Wait free - how can that be?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:03 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:
http://telluridehouse.org/

Lots of my grad student friends lived there and lived like kings because they spent zero money on room and board.

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:04 pm

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:
I just googled the Telluride one and it looks like there is an application process and scholarship for room and board. Also sounds like theres a rotating schedule of "significant" household duties/stuff that house members are expected to fulfill. Still sounds pretty great though if you could get in/are interested in a community style living situation.

edit: oops yeah you can find all that info by going to the link in the post above

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:18 am

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:WOW, didn't know an apartment complex could ever look this good - Palatial living has come to Ithaca my friends - who's game for living here next year?

LOL, I wish I could afford that. What's an extra couple thousand in loans, though? :twisted:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:11 am

:shock: Cornell is a very kind and generous school. They've been worth waiting for. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:17 am

Cornell estimates room and board as $11250. Good estimate?

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:20 am

SteelPenguin wrote::shock: Cornell is a very kind and generous school. They've been worth waiting for. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

vicpin5190

Silver

Post removed.

Post by vicpin5190 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:13 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alinor

New

Post by alinor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Holy cow! Just got my letter! Got way more than anticipated!

Splitter, live in TX. PM for more details if you want.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:23 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote::shock: Cornell is a very kind and generous school. They've been worth waiting for. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
I just saw the original on TV again last week, and this occurred to me as I was posting this.

vicpin5190

Silver

Post removed.

Post by vicpin5190 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:30 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serett

Post by Serett » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:41 pm

vicpin5190 wrote:
alinor wrote:Holy cow! Just got my letter! Got way more than anticipated!

Splitter, live in TX. PM for more details if you want.
ugh. I'm up in Wisconsin and haven't heard anything yet. I'm hoping I get something in the mail soon. Even if it says go fuck yourself. I just want closure.
+1 to nothing in Wisconsin, but I don't think the mail has come yet today.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”