Cornell Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
jchris

New

Re: Cornell Class of 2017 (Now with $$$$)

Post by jchris » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:06 pm

Hey everyone,

I've been a frequent lurker, but I wanted to finally check in and say hi!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I submitted my financial info sheet a day before the deadline and received my financial aid letter last week (4/2). I actually received the letter again a few days later, which was odd.

Thanks for keeping this thread active. It has helped me a ton!

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:16 pm

Bajam wrote:Welcome Cron! (Could've sworn you were admitted awhile ago, but incase you weren't then congrats [or rather congrats again o_O] haha).

Could anyone that's received financial aid let me know whether or not their aid specifically mentioned if any part of it was need aid? If it's just a "scholarship", is it safe to assume it was merit only? Please pm if you don't feel comfortable posting here.

TYIA.

ETA: Is there a way we can find out if we got any need aid, like maybe even calling the office?
Bumping so it doesn't get lost in the page before.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:06 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/Cornell/2012/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/Cornell/2013/

Good news for Cornell! Underemployment is down, large firm jobs are practically unchanged, and clerkships are up!

krnpridejk

New

Post by krnpridejk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:11 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/Cornell/2012/

Good news for Cornell! Underemployment is down, large firm jobs are practically unchanged, and clerkships are up!
Very Good news indeed! Thanks for sharing! I really hope that majority of those 10% clerkships are federal...

Bad news for Cornell though, is that their tuition went up even higher!! ;(
The relatively-low CoL doesn't help much if the annual tuition is the like the HIGHEST in the nation!! Lol

alabamF2

New

Post by alabamF2 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks for posting this!

For those who would like to compare between a lot of schools in an easy way, someone on Reddit set this up using the new data: http://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comme ... t_numbers/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:43 pm

Wow, Cornell did great this year according to LST!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:52 pm

Yea All Right wrote:Wow, Cornell did great this year according to LST!
Yea, we did All Right.

Lightworks

Bronze

Post by Lightworks » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Just got my scholarship offer via email...

*drum roll*

It's shockingly awful. I got twice as much from NU. Cornell was one of my top choices, but this is kinda ridiculous. Not to be a whiner, but there are dozens of people with significantly worse numbers that were offered considerably more than I was. Really disappointed.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:44 pm

krnpridejk wrote:

Very Good news indeed! Thanks for sharing! I really hope that majority of those 10% clerkships are federal...

Bad news for Cornell though, is that their tuition went up even higher!! ;(
The relatively-low CoL doesn't help much if the annual tuition is the like the HIGHEST in the nation!! Lol
Unfortunately, tuition goes up everywhere every year (with a few exceptions). Those are also entirely federal clerkships on the key stats page.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sloth Hero

Bronze

Post by Sloth Hero » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Got my scholarship today via email. I'm happy with the amount. It's about what I expected. They seem to be more generous with schollies for high GPA than with high LSAT. I'll probably try to negotiate a little. Worth a try.

One odd thing. The letter said I qualify for Perkins loans, which seems strange to me given my family circumstances.

Did anyone else qualify for Perkins loans who doesn't really meet the 'need-based' category? Should I call the office of finaid?

ALSO: Hoorah! Cornell is 6th on the Biglaw + Fed Clerkship employment percentage. Awesome.
Last edited by Sloth Hero on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:58 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:Got my scholarship today via email. I'm happy with the amount. It's about what I expected. They seem to be more generous with schollies for high GPA than with high LSAT. I'll probably try to negotiate a little. Worth a try.

One odd thing. The letter said I qualify for Perkins loans, which seems strange to me given my family circumstances.

Did anyone else qualify for Perkins loans who doesn't really meet the 'need-based' category? Should I call the office of finaid?
idk about law school, but IME, institutionally, Cornell has a pretty big perkins pot

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:Got my scholarship today via email. I'm happy with the amount. It's about what I expected. They seem to be more generous with schollies for high GPA than with high LSAT. I'll probably try to negotiate a little. Worth a try.

Congrats on the offer.

As for the Perkins loan, you're fine. I "qualified" too last cycle without even applying for need-aid. It's just a small, low-rate loan they offer you. Don't complain about it.

Sloth Hero

Bronze

Post by Sloth Hero » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Lavitz wrote:

Congrats on the offer.

As for the Perkins loan, you're fine. I "qualified" too last cycle without even applying for need-aid. It's just a small, low-rate loan they offer you. Don't complain about it.
Thanks. Sounds great. I just wanted to make sure I didn't make a mistake on Needaccess or something. Don't want to start my legal career by defrauding the government. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

doctorpepper

New

Post by doctorpepper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:53 pm

Got my offer via email as well. Pretty pleased. PM me if you want details.

Time to get to Ithaca!

Thiggs

New

Post by Thiggs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:20 pm

How long until Hughes fills up?

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Anyone think it hurts to check Cornell on the status of my financial aid decision? I submitted my docs before the March 15th deadline.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Thiggs wrote:How long until Hughes fills up?
Depends on when people deposit. Probably not for a few more weeks.
Trippel wrote:Anyone think it hurts to check Cornell on the status of my financial aid decision? I submitted my docs before the March 15th deadline.
Never hurts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Does anyone here have experience negotiating finaid with Cornell? I submitted my plea last night and I'm wondering how long it should take for a response. I just want a few thousand more per year to seal the deal.

Thiggs

New

Post by Thiggs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:06 pm

King Cayuga wrote:Does anyone here have experience negotiating finaid with Cornell? I submitted my plea last night and I'm wondering how long it should take for a response. I just want a few thousand more per year to seal the deal.

I initiated negotiation with cornell a week ago today and I received an increase today! They are receptive and move fairly quickly!

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Thiggs wrote:
King Cayuga wrote:Does anyone here have experience negotiating finaid with Cornell? I submitted my plea last night and I'm wondering how long it should take for a response. I just want a few thousand more per year to seal the deal.

I initiated negotiation with cornell a week ago today and I received an increase today! They are receptive and move fairly quickly!
That's great to hear! Was today's response the first or was there an exchange beforehand?

Thiggs

New

Post by Thiggs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:53 pm

King Cayuga wrote:
Thiggs wrote:

That's great to hear! Was today's response the first or was there an exchange beforehand?

Here's how it went down:

I emailed a person in admissions Thursday evening. I emailed an actual person that I had spoken with previously, rather than jdadmissions@cornell or whatever. She responded the next morning, last Friday, thanked me for my "kind and thoughtful" message, and told me that she would forward my request to the director of fin aid. Then, this past Tuesday, a lady in the fin. Aid office emailed me and told me that my request had been received and would be going to committee the following day. I received an increase this morning at around 9:15.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:53 pm

90k total. 3.9X/168. It's been quite a predictive cycle scholarship-wise. I'm getting the averages shown by LSN.

Lightworks

Bronze

Post by Lightworks » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:48 pm

173/3.6 and I got $45K total

:(

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:55 pm

:( us splitters aren't getting any $$$ love. Cornell is my favorite, but I'm really sad at the money they offered.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:08 pm

deputydog wrote::( us splitters aren't getting any $$$ love. Cornell is my favorite, but I'm really sad at the money they offered.
Lightworks wrote:173/3.6 and I got $45K total

:(
that sucks guys, sorry to hear it. they emailed you, yes?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”