Cornell Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Yea All Right

Silver

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Post by Yea All Right » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:I've heard that it's good for people on journals to take a writing seminar so they can use that paper as their Note. If you want to do this, do you have to take the writing seminar during fall semester or would spring semester be ok? I'm not even clear about how many Notes people on journals have to write, is it one per semester or one per year?
You're required to write one note for your journal, and it will be due around the beginning of the Spring semester, so the the seminar has to be in Fall.
Thanks Lavitz. I'm guessing the general advice is purely for the purpose of knocking out your writing requirement and Note at the same time? What if one is not interested in any of the fall writing seminars and would rather write their Note on some other topic?

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:I've heard that it's good for people on journals to take a writing seminar so they can use that paper as their Note. If you want to do this, do you have to take the writing seminar during fall semester or would spring semester be ok? I'm not even clear about how many Notes people on journals have to write, is it one per semester or one per year?
You're required to write one note for your journal, and it will be due around the beginning of the Spring semester, so the the seminar has to be in Fall.
Thanks Lavitz. I'm guessing the general advice is purely to knock out your writing requirement and Note at the same time? What if one is not interested in any of the writing seminars and would rather write their Note on some other topic?
I'm sure you can do it; it would just end up being one extra - and large - writing assignment, though.

Depending on the journal, you could probably find way to write a note on something you are interested in and have it somehow mold one of the seminars.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:36 pm

^ scooped, but whatever:
Yea All Right wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
Thanks Lavitz. I'm guessing the general advice is purely for the purpose of knocking out your writing requirement and Note at the same time? What if one is not interested in any of the fall writing seminars and would rather write their Note on some other topic?
Then you can just write your note independent of a course, but it will make more work for you because you'll be taking a full courseload + writing a note instead of taking a full courseload but only having to edit the paper for one of the courses in order to get it satisfy the note requirement. And then you still have to satisfy the writing requirement later on, so if you don't like writing papers, it may be annoying. But people do it all the time, so I'm sure you can handle it.

Also, if there's a seminar loosely related to the topic you want to write about, you may want to at least sign up and then ask the prof if you can write your paper on it. I don't know how loosely related to the course seminar papers can usually be. It's too bad they're not offering Legal Scholarship again, because Dorf let us write about whatever we wanted.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:13 am

So got my class schedule results back and I am in a situation where if I only do 1 seminar I am going to have to have a schedule with back to back exam days no matter what. So my question is twofold: 1) how difficult is it to do back to back exams (ex biz org hockett and bankruptcy) and 2) how difficult would it be to do two seminars if one will be used concurrently for my journal note submission?

Tldr: which scheduling variation will make me hate myself less.

ETA: one of the seminars is with Dorf

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:59 am

runthetrap1990 wrote:So got my class schedule results back and I am in a situation where if I only do 1 seminar I am going to have to have a schedule with back to back exam days no matter what. So my question is twofold: 1) how difficult is it to do back to back exams (ex biz org hockett and bankruptcy) and 2) how difficult would it be to do two seminars if one will be used concurrently for my journal note submission?

I've done back to back exams and it wasn't too bad, but it's not ideal. Never done 2 seminars.
runthetrap1990 wrote:ETA: one of the seminars is with Dorf
TCR is to drop the seminar so I can get in. Thx.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:38 pm

Lavitz wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:So got my class schedule results back and I am in a situation where if I only do 1 seminar I am going to have to have a schedule with back to back exam days no matter what. So my question is twofold: 1) how difficult is it to do back to back exams (ex biz org hockett and bankruptcy) and 2) how difficult would it be to do two seminars if one will be used concurrently for my journal note submission?

I've done back to back exams and it wasn't too bad, but it's not ideal. Never done 2 seminars.
runthetrap1990 wrote:ETA: one of the seminars is with Dorf
TCR is to drop the seminar so I can get in. Thx.
I get the feeling 2 seminars is a bad life decision. I'll see what i can do. And be on the look out for ConLaw...not sure it survives the add/drop...

Thanks!

roastbeefy

New

Post by roastbeefy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Wait, would 2 seminars be bad just because it means 2 big papers? Even if one is used for your Note?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:55 pm

roastbeefy wrote:Wait, would 2 seminars be bad just because it means 2 big papers? Even if one is used for your Note?
Like I said, I've never done it. I'm sure people do it. But I would not have wanted to write another paper in November / December on top of the other one, even taking away one of my exams. Especially if both seminars are curved and you have to actually care about the quality.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Thoughts on whether statutory and constitutional interpretation is gunner central? Trying to grade protect... also the constitutional theory colloquium (I imagine it will be because it's a dorf class, but i really want to take it)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:25 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:Thoughts on whether statutory and constitutional interpretation is gunner central? Trying to grade protect... also the constitutional theory colloquium (I imagine it will be because it's a dorf class, but i really want to take it)
I'm apparently the only person on the WL so I have a vested interest in having you drop. With that said, because it's at the same time as federal appellate practice, most of the 3L gunners won't be there. And profs aren't well-known as clerkship recs.

Dorf class will likely have more gunners, but also has given 25% A's in the past when on curve, so not an automatic GPA hit.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:26 pm

Lavitz wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:Thoughts on whether statutory and constitutional interpretation is gunner central? Trying to grade protect... also the constitutional theory colloquium (I imagine it will be because it's a dorf class, but i really want to take it)
I'm apparently the only person on the WL so I have a vested interest in having you drop. With that said, because it's at the same time as federal appellate practice, most of the 3L gunners won't be there. And profs aren't well-known as clerkship recs.

Dorf class will likely have more gunners, but also has given 25% A's in the past when on curve, so not an automatic GPA hit.
You're officially one of two people on the waitlist now ;-). Sounds like Dorf's class would be good, though. Thanks for the help.

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:37 am

Lavitz wrote:

You will probably be getting it then, I am almost 100% sure that I will be dropping it

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:48 pm

What supplements are recommended for Biz Orgs-Whitehead, Admin Law-Farina, and Crim Pro-Blume?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:51 pm

Trippel wrote:What supplements are recommended for Biz Orgs-Whitehead, Admin Law-Farina, and Crim Pro-Blume?
Never had Farina, and for Whitehead, there's a certain outline that I'm sure you and all your classmates will get your hands on, but I guess the Freer hornbook might help.

For Blume, I found the Understanding Criminal Procedure books helpful. I'm selling them on myronslist right now, fyi.

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:56 pm

Any supplement recs for hockett's biz orgs or colb's evidence?

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:04 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:Any supplement recs for hockett's biz orgs or colb's evidence?
Would like to add bankruptcy to this list...as long as we're asking.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:16 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:Any supplement recs for hockett's biz orgs or colb's evidence?
I mean, I'd also like supplement recs for colb's evidence. Welcome to classes with 3Ls.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:03 pm

Lavitz wrote:call-in
Arbiter213 wrote:call-in
ImNoScar wrote:call-in
Lacepiece23 wrote:call-in
Lincoln wrote:call-in
Has anyone taken a class with Dean Schwab? How is he? Also, has anyone ever taken a non-1L course with Professor Ohlin? I'm trying to decide between taking Employment Law or Public International Law
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:25 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Lavitz wrote:call-in
Arbiter213 wrote:call-in
ImNoScar wrote:call-in
Lacepiece23 wrote:call-in
Lincoln wrote:call-in
Has anyone taken a class with Dean Schwab? How is he? Also, has anyone ever taken a non-1L course with Professor Ohlin? I'm trying to decide between taking Employment Law or Public International Law
Interested in this as well. Currently in between Bankruptcy and Employment Law. Also have Public International but not sure i'm really in the mood to engage in another race-horse typing test like i heard Ohlin's 1L crimlaw ended up being.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:04 pm

Last edited by Arbiter213 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Thinking about moving to Collegetown Terrace next year (must get out of this apt.), can anyone who lives there speak about the rent prices and the pros/cons. Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:51 pm

I can't speak to the specifics of prices. But if you're willing to live in the older/smaller buildings, they're several hundred dollars cheaper per month than the newer ones that are more popular with law students and there are still quite a few law students in these older/smaller buildings as well

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:42 am

Are there any Cornell/CLS hockey teams that play around Ithaca? It's been a long while since I've played, but watching NHL hockey this past week has got me itching to get back into it.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Hey all. Wondering if anyone has had a class with Aziz Rana. He's visiting HLS next semester and trying to determine whether it is a good idea to take the course or not (14th Amendment).

Thanks!

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:00 pm

mujiali wrote:Hey all. Wondering if anyone has had a class with Aziz Rana. He's visiting HLS next semester and trying to determine whether it is a good idea to take the course or not (14th Amendment).

Thanks!
Didn't have Rana, but all my friends who did love him. He seems like a very, very nice guy, and very intelligent too. Also he had a generous curve for ConLaw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”