Cornell Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
koval

Bronze

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Post by koval » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:35 am

Lavitz, should we email them to ensure that we don't have to deposit by the 25th if we haven't yet received info on scholarship? Just want to make sure I don't lose my place if I don't deposit by the 25th.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:39 am

dcruss wrote:Lavitz, should we email them to ensure that we don't have to deposit by the 25th if we haven't yet received info on scholarship? Just want to make sure I don't lose my place if I don't deposit by the 25th.
Yeah, definitely e-mail them before you skip the deadline.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:38 pm

yarrow wrote:Waiting for scholarship decision and my admitted students handbook, which never came :?
+1. Will take Lavitz's advice and email them about the deposit, at least.

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:33 pm

I just emailed Cornell asking about the whole skipping the deposit since I don't have an offer yet thing. About 10 minutes later my financial aid award email came and I'm at a loss for words. Cornell is apparently generous for the merit only aid. I still am going to follow up and make sure I have a week and not until Friday to decide since the admitted student PDF thing says you have until the later of the deposit deadline or a week from your award decision.

PM if you want details on the scholarship.

masked kavana

Bronze

Post by masked kavana » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Has anyone that tried to negotiate scholarships heard back? I'm going on almost 3 weeks with no reply..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:42 pm

masked kavana wrote:Has anyone that tried to negotiate scholarships heard back? I'm going on almost 3 weeks with no reply..
I heard back within a week. Perhaps you can send in a follow-up email. I sent an email to the financial aid address law.financialaid(at)cornell.edu.

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
masked kavana wrote:Has anyone that tried to negotiate scholarships heard back? I'm going on almost 3 weeks with no reply..
I heard back within a week. Perhaps you can send in a follow-up email. I sent an email to the financial aid address law.financialaid(at)cornell.edu.
Yeah, it only took them 2-3 days to get back to me with a raised offer.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Also received an offer today. I guess the lesson is that if you complain about things anonymously on the internet long enough, ---> results.

Offer was about what I expected. I secretly hoped for more, but that was probably unrealistic. I might deposit to secure the spot, and then take a crack at negotiating, as I've had a good cycle as far as negotiation goes. It sounds like, with everything, folks have had mixed results here with negotiation ...?

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:05 pm

cron1834 wrote:Also received an offer today. I guess the lesson is that if you complain about things anonymously on the internet long enough, ---> results.

Offer was about what I expected. I secretly hoped for more, but that was probably unrealistic. I might deposit to secure the spot, and then take a crack at negotiating, as I've had a good cycle as far as negotiation goes. It sounds like, with everything, folks have had mixed results here with negotiation ...?
Cron, I've seen your posts around TLS and believe we have similar choices if not stats (mine in profile). I got about what I expected, then I tried negotiating but was turned down. I am going to try one more time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:16 pm

2 weeks with no reply for me, although I was pleased with the initial offer. The movement today gives me hope they'll send out a raft of responses to negotiating applicants tomorrow.

Also, I sent a follow up email last night showing them my Georgetown offer.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Also received an offer today. I guess the lesson is that if you complain about things anonymously on the internet long enough, ---> results.

Cron, I've seen your posts around TLS and believe we have similar choices if not stats (mine in profile). I got about what I expected, then I tried negotiating but was turned down. I am going to try one more time.
Good to know brother. Stand by for Cron Part II: The Choosing Thread.

generalt

New

Post by generalt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:Any idea how long it usually takes to get your NetID after depositing?
Waiting for mine too, I posted my deposit on the 16th and got an email confirmation a few days later.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:44 pm

generalt wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:Any idea how long it usually takes to get your NetID after depositing?
Waiting for mine too, I posted my deposit on the 16th and got an email confirmation a few days later.
I didn't get mine until June 26th.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

razorfine

New

Post by razorfine » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:48 am

Hey Lavitz. Do you know the chances of turnover for Hughes? I got assigned to Maplewood which is pretty gross. I'm looking into places in college town which are still scattered around, but I would really like to get into Hughes. Thanks man, keep doing what you're doing. This thread is such a great help.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:52 pm

razorfine wrote:Hey Lavitz. Do you know the chances of turnover for Hughes? I got assigned to Maplewood which is pretty gross. I'm looking into places in college town which are still scattered around, but I would really like to get into Hughes. Thanks man, keep doing what you're doing. This thread is such a great help.
Did they tell you that you'd remain on the waiting list for Hughes? If not, then make sure Housing knows that you still want Hughes. I never got assigned to Maplewood first so I don't know how that works.

I do know someone else who got assigned to Maplewood and she contacted Housing to reiterate her desire to be in Hughes. She got into Hughes like a week or two later.

A bunch of people have already said that they're turning down Hughes, so turnover will likely be high and you have a good chance of getting into Hughes.

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Just got off the phone with the finaid/admissions office. The person I talked to said that the director was out of the office but told me she was working on reconsideration packages today and that we'd receive an email with the answer, although she couldn't tell me when. We have one week from when we receive the email(yes or no) to deposit, so the April 25th deadline is not hard for applicants who are negotiating. Of course, this isn't a huge help for people who want the best possible spot on the Hughes waitlist or who have other rapidly approaching deadlines...

EspadaFCB

New

Post by EspadaFCB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:40 pm

King Cayuga wrote:Just got off the phone with the finaid/admissions office. The person I talked to said that the director was out of the office but told me she was working on reconsideration packages today and that we'd receive an email with the answer, although she couldn't tell me when. We have one week from when we receive the email(yes or no) to deposit, so the April 25th deadline is not hard for applicants who are negotiating. Of course, this isn't a huge help for people who want the best possible spot on the Hughes waitlist or who have other rapidly approaching deadlines...
I emailed them earlier because I'm also in the middle of negotiating. Financial Aid emailed me back saying pretty much the same thing, that we have one week to make our deposit once we get your negotiation response back. I'm still a bit paranoid about skipping the deadline, but I have the email as proof in case anything happens I guess.

They also told me that I should receive an answer sometime "early next week". So hopefully we'll all hear back from them on monday or tuesday.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:48 pm

EspadaFCB wrote:
King Cayuga wrote:Just got off the phone with the finaid/admissions office. The person I talked to said that the director was out of the office but told me she was working on reconsideration packages today and that we'd receive an email with the answer, although she couldn't tell me when. We have one week from when we receive the email(yes or no) to deposit, so the April 25th deadline is not hard for applicants who are negotiating. Of course, this isn't a huge help for people who want the best possible spot on the Hughes waitlist or who have other rapidly approaching deadlines...
I emailed them earlier because I'm also in the middle of negotiating. Financial Aid emailed me back saying pretty much the same thing, that we have one week to make our deposit once we get your negotiation response back. I'm still a bit paranoid about skipping the deadline, but I have the email as proof in case anything happens I guess.

They also told me that I should receive an answer sometime "early next week". So hopefully we'll all hear back from them on monday or tuesday.
The fact that they haven't told us no and are working on new packages gives me some hope that we'll get something extra. Fingers crossed!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 pm

lol at whoever linked to this thread in the 2017 fb group. Bold move.

Nobody's ever linked to TLS in the 2016 group.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Lavitz wrote:lol at whoever linked to this thread in the 2017 fb group. Bold move.

Hahah yeah I saw that....i was like whattttt is happening

Edit: I feel like no one outside of TLS wants to admit how we're all TLS closet addicts

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:14 pm

mt2165 wrote:Hahah yeah I saw that....i was like whattttt is happening
Worlds are colliding!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Lavitz wrote:lol at whoever linked to this thread in the 2017 fb group. Bold move.

LOL i just came here to see if anyone posted about this hahahahaha

ETA: Now to guess, registered user or guest?!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Lavitz wrote:
mt2165 wrote:Hahah yeah I saw that....i was like whattttt is happening
Worlds are colliding!
Haha, I knew what this clip was before I clicked. Classic Costanza/Larry David.

Robbin Blue

Silver

Post by Robbin Blue » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Glad I haven't joined the FB group yet. Awkward.

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:59 pm

Robbin Blue wrote:

Glad I haven't joined the FB group yet. Awkward.
Well I guess it wasn't you, unless this is some reverse psychology bs?!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”