Cornell Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Indifference

Silver

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Post by Indifference » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:22 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
mujiali wrote:Hey all. Wondering if anyone has had a class with Aziz Rana. He's visiting HLS next semester and trying to determine whether it is a good idea to take the course or not (14th Amendment).

Thanks!
Didn't have Rana, but all my friends who did love him. He seems like a very, very nice guy, and very intelligent too. Also he had a generous curve for ConLaw.
Preferenced first! Thanks for the insight :)

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:35 am

mujiali wrote:Hey all. Wondering if anyone has had a class with Aziz Rana. He's visiting HLS next semester and trying to determine whether it is a good idea to take the course or not (14th Amendment).

Thanks!
Yes. Take the class.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:17 pm

Does anyone know what the new GPA cut offs are? 5% 10% and 30%, in particular.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:49 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Does anyone know what the new GPA cut offs are? 5% 10% and 30%, in particular.
They are up on the Registrar's site now under "current grading policy." Dean's list numbers haven't been released, though.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:08 pm

runinthefront wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:Does anyone know what the new GPA cut offs are? 5% 10% and 30%, in particular.
They are up on the Registrar's site now under "current grading policy." Dean's list numbers haven't been released, though.
Thanks for the heads up! That class of 2018 10% mark though...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:31 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Thanks for the heads up! That class of 2018 10% mark though...
The smaller course sizes could play into that number (i.e. if 3 or 4 students "deserve" an A+, could skew each class up because of small population), but I was more than a little surprised how high that number jumped.

Jakobe

New

Post by Jakobe » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:34 pm

Depressing top 10% mark.

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:55 pm

Do they actually post the Dean's list numbers separately? I had no idea they did that. Could anyone guide me down that path?

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:44 pm

Babum wrote:Do they actually post the Dean's list numbers separately? I had no idea they did that. Could anyone guide me down that path?
I don't think they post them any where, but I know people (or at least for 1L) called the registrar to obtain that information.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:02 pm

Anyone know curves/difficulty/workload for:

Advanced Seminar In Criminal Law: Criminal Responsibility
Criminal Procedure - Investigations
Advanced Civil Procedure

?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:08 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:Anyone know curves/difficulty/workload for:

Advanced Civil Procedure

?
No idea about the curves for the other two, but if you go to Blackboard > Advanced Civ Pro > Tools > Send Email > Select Users and check out the current roster for that class, I don't think that there's any curve Clermont could give that would guarantee someone an A- or better.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:11 pm

runinthefront wrote:

Advanced Civil Procedure

?
No idea about the curves for the other two, but if you go to Blackboard > Advanced Civ Pro > Tools > Send Email > Select Users and check out the current roster for that class, I don't think that there's any curve Clermont could give that would guarantee someone an A- or better.

ohhhh, yeah. just looked. crap. Eh, I want to take it anyway

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:18 pm

runinthefront wrote:

Advanced Civil Procedure

?
This should be filed under life hack for all courses.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:50 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

Advanced Civil Procedure

?
I didn't teach you about this? oops.

And lol at runinthefront. I told you that's why I'm not taking that class.

Also, Marguiles is teaching CrimPro for the first time, so it'll be impossible to tell. Think the criminal responsibility seminar is new too.

ETA: I will say that CrimPro with Colb involved very little work because we moved through the material so slowly. Spent the entire semester on the Fourth Amendment and never got to the Fifth Amendment.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:49 pm

Lavitz wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

Advanced Civil Procedure

?

Also, Marguiles is teaching CrimPro for the first time, so it'll be impossible to tell. Think the criminal responsibility seminar is new too.

ETA: I will say that CrimPro with Colb involved very little work because we moved through the material so slowly. Spent the entire semester on the Fourth Amendment and never got to the Fifth Amendment.

Cool, thanks. I figure most seminars are probably GPA friendly anyway so I'll probably take Responsibility. My only other question is Whistleblowers and Corporate Integrity - anyone have any thoughts?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Last edited by Arbiter213 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:55 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

Advanced Civil Procedure

?

Cool, thanks. I figure most seminars are probably GPA friendly anyway so I'll probably take Responsibility. My only other question is Whistleblowers and Corporate Integrity - anyone have any thoughts?
That class is a clusterfuck. Learning about qui tam stuff is highly useful, but I would not take the class if given the chance to do it over.
Dang. Clusterfuckesque because bad grades or because bad teaching?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PushaC

New

Post by PushaC » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:07 pm

Does anyone have information on:

Admin with Stiglitz
Legislation with Chafetz?

I know Stiglitz decimated his Con Law section last year. I'm curious whether that treatment is reserved for the 1Ls or if he's just an all around hardass. I've heard little about Chafetz, but his syllabus says the class "will be graded in accordance with the 3.35 mean."

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:11 pm

PushaC wrote:Does anyone have information on:

Admin with Stiglitz
Legislation with Chafetz?

I know Stiglitz decimated his Con Law section last year. I'm curious whether that treatment is reserved for the 1Ls or if he's just an all around hardass. I've heard little about Chafetz, but his syllabus says the class "will be graded in accordance with the 3.35 mean."
Expect a pretty hard curve in Chafetz's class. He's not a bad dude and he knows politics as well as, and probably better than, he knows the law; but he is one of those types who doesn't seem to get that the vast majority of people can be not on his intelligence level, and still deserve an A.

I don't think I've heard anyone who came out of Stiglitz's section last year who didn't vow to never take another class with him again. Good luck.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:32 pm

deepseapartners wrote:
I don't think I've heard anyone who came out of Stiglitz's section last year who didn't vow to never take another class with him again. Good luck.
I'm currently enrolled in the class but I don't think I've heard a single positive thing about Stiglitz, even if his Admin Law curve isn't as merciless as his ConLaw class from last year. Suffices to say that I don't think I'm gonna be staying put.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PushaC

New

Post by PushaC » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:08 pm

runinthefront wrote: I looked at Stiglitz's Admin grade distribution from last year. It's pretty okay--not great, but not terrible. He didn't give below a B last year, but he only had 15 kids taking it for a grade. I assume there will probably be more than 15 kids taking it for a grade this year so idk if that will change his grading habits or anything.
Thanks for the heads up. Here's hoping he'll be merciful.
runthetrap1990 wrote:
deepseapartners wrote:
I'm currently enrolled in the class but I don't think I've heard a single positive thing about Stiglitz, even if his Admin Law curve isn't as merciless as his ConLaw class from last year. Suffices to say that I don't think I'm gonna be staying put.
Yeah, I'm worried he's going to give 40 pages of reading/night. Things will become more clear when we get a syllabus.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:30 pm

deepseapartners wrote:Yeah, I'm worried he's going to give 40 pages of reading/night. Things will become more clear when we get a syllabus.
I was in his Admin class for a week last year before dropping. I don't remember the amount of reading being unbearable--just the daily cold calls on irrelevant facts from the reading. But I heard he stopped doing that after half the class dropped it and he realized he needed to change his teaching style.

TheatreofDreams

New

Post by TheatreofDreams » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:56 pm

1L checking in here.

Did anyone here do the USAO-EDNY internship last year? And could I ask you some questions?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:44 am

TheatreofDreams wrote:1L checking in here.

Did anyone here do the USAO-EDNY internship last year? And could I ask you some questions?
Dean Comstock should have a list of the people who have worked there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”