Georgetown Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What seems be your hardest class?

Ks
5%
Civ Pro
37%
Torts
11%
Con Law
No votes
Crim
No votes
LRW
11%
I'm in §3...
37%

Total votes: 19

awoodard

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby awoodard » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:47 pm

Did everyone who asked to be considered for scholarships get a response that they were/were not receiving one?

I was got the email telling me I was being considered, I responded, etc. etc., and haven't heard back yet. But I got an email last Thursday (which was weirdly sent to my secondary email and in my spam folder) that said my financial aid info was ready, and it was all loans.

Would they do this to let you know you weren't receiving merit aid? I emailed them, I guess we'll see what happens.

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:58 pm

awoodard wrote:Did everyone who asked to be considered for scholarships get a response that they were/were not receiving one?

I was got the email telling me I was being considered, I responded, etc. etc., and haven't heard back yet. But I got an email last Thursday (which was weirdly sent to my secondary email and in my spam folder) that said my financial aid info was ready, and it was all loans.

Would they do this to let you know you weren't receiving merit aid? I emailed them, I guess we'll see what happens.

I asked to be considered and they responded with a generic "everyone is considered" response. A few weeks later I got the official scholarship consideration email with why GULC/how much money/what will you be doing in a year questions to answer. I'm not sure if they would let you know that you are NOT being considered for merit aid, but I bet they'll respond definitely to your email at this point.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:02 pm

What have peoples' experiences been with need aid? I still haven't received any word.

cactusflower

Postby cactusflower » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:54 pm

linkx13 wrote:What have peoples' experiences been with need aid? I still haven't received any word.

+1 I've combed past threads and can't find too much.

ForLawSchool

Postby ForLawSchool » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:57 pm

I emailed GULC asking for a merit aid increase over their original offer and ended up getting an extra 7.5k per year

deuceindc

Postby deuceindc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:26 pm

ForLawSchool wrote:I emailed GULC asking for a merit aid increase over their original offer and ended up getting an extra 7.5k per year

Did you use another scholarship/admission as leverage? Congrats on the bump regardless.

kershka

Postby kershka » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:36 pm

I've withdrawn my acceptance so checking out, but I hope one of you fantastic people get my scholarship! Good luck to you all on the rest of your cycles.

linkx13 wrote:What have peoples' experiences been with need aid? I still haven't received any word.

I received a merit aid offer a couple weeks ago but never received any need-based aid. It could be that they're just taking a little longer to process merit aid before they start calculating need.

FOM

Postby FOM » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:41 pm

ForLawSchool wrote:I emailed GULC asking for a merit aid increase over their original offer and ended up getting an extra 7.5k per year

Did you simply reply to the initial email containing your aid offer or did you send a whole new email to finaid@law.georgetown.edu?

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:02 pm

cactusflower wrote:

Submitted all my info Friday, got nothing today. Really really bummed.

uncreative

Postby uncreative » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:17 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
cactusflower wrote:

Don't sweat it yet. At ASW last Friday, the Dean of financial aid said they were caught up on everyone who had sent their info in as of the Tuesday before that. I'd give it another week till its time to start worrying.

mraemorris

Postby mraemorris » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:19 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
cactusflower wrote:

With an EFC of about 13k, everything was covered by federal loans (Direct + Grad Plus). I think this should be the worst case scenario for most in grad school, so as long as you have good credit or a cosigner, you should be good. I'm PT, so I wasn't eligible for need-based grants, but I don't think I would've gotten any anyway. Good luck!

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:23 pm

uncreative wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
cactusflower wrote:

Don't sweat it yet. At ASW last Friday, the Dean of financial aid said they were caught up on everyone who had sent their info in as of the Tuesday before that. I'd give it another week till its time to start worrying.

I meant got $0 financial aid.

uncreative

Postby uncreative » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:32 pm

I meant got $0 financial aid.

Oh shit. Sorry...that really sucks.

ForLawSchool

Postby ForLawSchool » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:12 am

FOM wrote:

Did you simply reply to the initial email containing your aid offer or did you send a whole new email to finaid@law.georgetown.edu?

I sent an entirely new email, although I doubt that either would have made a difference

FOM

Postby FOM » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:14 pm

OK, so today I received an email informing me that I have been selected for a "law center scholarship". Is this in addition to the previous email they sent containing a Dean's tuition grant? Do you get the combined total of both or do you just get the higher of the two?

waddle

Postby waddle » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:17 pm

FOM wrote:OK, so today I received an email informing me that I have been selected for a "law center scholarship". Is this in addition to the previous email they sent containing a Dean's tuition grant? Do you get the combined total of both or do you just get the higher of the two?

Same situation. I emailed back asking that question - no response yet.

FOM

Postby FOM » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:20 pm

waddle wrote:
FOM wrote:OK, so today I received an email informing me that I have been selected for a "law center scholarship". Is this in addition to the previous email they sent containing a Dean's tuition grant? Do you get the combined total of both or do you just get the higher of the two?

Same situation. I emailed back asking that question - no response yet.

Awesome, was about to do the same, let me know when they get back to you please :)

deuceindc

Postby deuceindc » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Based on the FinAid session at last week's open house, my understand is that you get the higher of the two.

For example, if you get 20k/yr in merit aid and 15k/yr in need-based aid, you'll get a total of 20k/yr -- the 15k/yr in need-based aid, and the balance in merit aid. If you get 15k/yr in merit and 20k/yr in need-based, you get 20k, all need-based aid.

Good move contacting the FinAid office - I'm sure they can explain it better.

waddle

Postby waddle » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Yeah, that's what logically hit my mind also - but then they also said in the email the scholarship is "in combination with any need-based grants you may receive or have received from Georgetown"

That seems to imply that they're being combined. But yeah, when we're talking this level of money, I had to ask to confirm.

nicholasavallone

Postby nicholasavallone » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:00 am

waddle wrote:Yeah, that's what logically hit my mind also - but then they also said in the email the scholarship is "in combination with any need-based grants you may receive or have received from Georgetown"

That seems to imply that they're being combined. But yeah, when we're talking this level of money, I had to ask to confirm.

Got the email as well...mine said I was now guaranteed 25k per year, combined between merit and need, where before I had 20k need based for the first year with no guarantee for the second or third. Never got an email asking how much I needed to consider Georgetown, didn't negotiate, so this was a nice surprise, especially since I really wasn't expecting to get much of anything at all.

nicholasavallone

Postby nicholasavallone » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:01 am

cactusflower wrote:

Sorry for the double post, not great with the TLS html business. I was emailed with an exclusively need based offer last week, and this week Georgetown emailed with an increased offer for need and merit based. The need based offer was contingent on this year's FAFSA/Need Access and was subject to change 2L and 3L. The new grant is 25k per year between merit and need, but frankly it doesn't seem to matter, in the end it's all grant money.

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:31 am

Does everyone else who received a scholarship in this wave have a deadline of April 14? It's cutting it really close for me because I still haven't heard from NU or Columbia about scholarship money. I don't think I have a good reason to ask for a deadline extension either. Oh the pressure :(

On another note, has anyone ever received a full tuition offer? I looked back a few years on LSN and the highest amount I've seen was 45K/year (135K total).

arivtal

Postby arivtal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:49 am

What does it actually mean to send in the "intent to enroll" form to accept the scholarship? Is it a binding decision, does it affect other acceptances, etc.. Anyone know?

FOM

Postby FOM » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:04 pm

kenwash wrote:Does everyone else who received a scholarship in this wave have a deadline of April 14? It's cutting it really close for me because I still haven't heard from NU or Columbia about scholarship money. I don't think I have a good reason to ask for a deadline extension either. Oh the pressure :(

On another note, has anyone ever received a full tuition offer? I looked back a few years on LSN and the highest amount I've seen was 45K/year (135K total).

I don't see why that's not a valid excuse. I won't be committing to Georgetown before I see all my offers, and I think they would understand that. I'll probably ask for an extension later this week if I haven't received all my offers yet.

scoobysnax

Postby scoobysnax » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Withdrew today- hope one of you gets my scholarship money!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”