Georgetown Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What seems be your hardest class?

Ks
1
5%
Civ Pro
7
37%
Torts
2
11%
Con Law
0
No votes
Crim
0
No votes
LRW
2
11%
I'm in §3...
7
37%
 
Total votes: 19

arivtal
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:39 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby arivtal » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi everyone,

Initially received 15k/year. Negotiated with similar scholarship from MVP, but higher scholarships from Lower T-14 and T-20.

Had scholarship upped to 22.5k/year. Turnaround was a couple of days. Good luck!

168 and International "Superior." K-JD with unique softs

User avatar
lastsamurai
Posts: 978
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby lastsamurai » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:05 pm

Withdrew my application today...it was really hard to press send. Should free up some money for those negotiating though. Best of luck to the rest of you with making your decisions!

User avatar
coachcowher
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby coachcowher » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:34 pm

W$RKliveWELL wrote:Just got what I believe to be my need based package. Actually I'm sure is need based and it was little to nothing. Time to really go all in on this merit scholarship reconsideration efforts.


Did you receive it via email?

kenwash
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby kenwash » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:59 pm

I received my scholarship offer today via email. I asked for an amount on the higher end, but happy they came within 10K. They do need to come up some though! Since we have to reapply each year, is it dangerous to assume that your scholly amount will remain the same all three years?

Edit - I think I got the need based grant. Looks like the merit grant will come separately.
Last edited by kenwash on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:50 am

I don't think we reapply each year. My offer letter says "for each of three years of study at the Law Center".

User avatar
nicholasavallone
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:50 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby nicholasavallone » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:38 pm

There's hope for need-based...got 20k this year via email yesterday. Reading between the lines of the disclaimer, it says to expect similar numbers in the second year, then third year depends on whether or not you get an SA position (if you do, I'm assuming the "need" goes away).

User avatar
outlawscr10
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:37 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby outlawscr10 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:04 pm

nicholasavallone wrote:There's hope for need-based...got 20k this year via email yesterday. Reading between the lines of the disclaimer, it says to expect similar numbers in the second year, then third year depends on whether or not you get an SA position (if you do, I'm assuming the "need" goes away).


When did you submit your financial aid application?

User avatar
nicholasavallone
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:50 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby nicholasavallone » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:14 pm

I filed first day for both FAFSA and NeedAccess, and sent in the Yellow Form on March 12. I included info about my UT and Vandy scholarship offers in the "is there anything you would like us to know" section of the yellow form.

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby deuceindc » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Just got back from the Open House (had to bail on hanging out after to walk my dog) but I was honestly not too impressed with the program. Bear in mind that I didn't attend yesterday's section (alumni and career panel, meet/greet with profs).

First session was financial aid. COA this year is 79,800 - 53k and change for tuition. FinAid rep said to expect 3-4% increases annually. Median combined need/merit aid is 19,200/yr. Median debt at graduation is 147,600. Plenty of discussion of PAYE/IBR/LRAP - more LRAP details upon request.

Second session was SCOUTS Moot Court, they did a mock moot for Town of Greece vs Galloway. Their program moots something like 95% of the advocates that present at SCOTUS, which is really impressive. I thought it was silly to spend so much time on it during an Admits Day, though. That said, on the off chance I ever advocate, I know where to go to get a good trial run.

Lunch was breakout panels - I'm in the PT program so I have no clue what was covered in the FT panels, maybe uncreative or Frozenite can tackle that. PT stuff was pretty standard -- PM me if you're interested in anything specific.

Next was campus tours and student group recruiting. Skipped the tour because I can go visit whenever, and the student groups had nothing interesting to offer to me.

Last was Office Hours for some of the departments. I went to Career Services and thought it was excellent. GULC is moving to a hybrid pre-selection/lottery system for OCI (referred to as Early Interview Week) - 6/21 slots will be pre-select, 15/21 will be lottery. They were previously pure lottery, so this is decidedly a move to satisfy firms, which makes sense if you're one of the biggest law schools in the country. Also was surprised to learn that the #1 state for grads to sit for the bar is NY, and CA is in the top 3.

All in all it was a pretty mixed bag. I was pretty set on GULC until recently, and I was really hoping this would sell me on the school, but it didn't.

Speaking of mixed bags -- the swag bag included a t-shirt, waterbottle, sunglasses, luggage tag, a Hoya Lawya dog stress-ball-thing, and trail mix.

riverwater
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby riverwater » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:08 am

Does anyone know if we can submit the Intent to Enroll form and back out later? Or do we have to withdraw our apps from other schools? I'm digging my scholarship offer from Georgetown but haven't heard back on aid from three or four other schools (and I'm guessing I won't before April 4). Apologies if this question has already been asked.

mraemorris
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby mraemorris » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:32 am

deuceindc wrote:Just got back from the Open House (had to bail on hanging out after to walk my dog) but I was honestly not too impressed with the program. Bear in mind that I didn't attend yesterday's section (alumni and career panel, meet/greet with profs).

First session was financial aid. COA this year is 79,800 - 53k and change for tuition. FinAid rep said to expect 3-4% increases annually. Median combined need/merit aid is 19,200/yr. Median debt at graduation is 147,600. Plenty of discussion of PAYE/IBR/LRAP - more LRAP details upon request.

Second session was SCOUTS Moot Court, they did a mock moot for Town of Greece vs Galloway. Their program moots something like 95% of the advocates that present at SCOTUS, which is really impressive. I thought it was silly to spend so much time on it during an Admits Day, though. That said, on the off chance I ever advocate, I know where to go to get a good trial run.

Lunch was breakout panels - I'm in the PT program so I have no clue what was covered in the FT panels, maybe uncreative or Frozenite can tackle that. PT stuff was pretty standard -- PM me if you're interested in anything specific.

Next was campus tours and student group recruiting. Skipped the tour because I can go visit whenever, and the student groups had nothing interesting to offer to me.

Last was Office Hours for some of the departments. I went to Career Services and thought it was excellent. GULC is moving to a hybrid pre-selection/lottery system for OCI (referred to as Early Interview Week) - 6/21 slots will be pre-select, 15/21 will be lottery. They were previously pure lottery, so this is decidedly a move to satisfy firms, which makes sense if you're one of the biggest law schools in the country. Also was surprised to learn that the #1 state for grads to sit for the bar is NY, and CA is in the top 3.

All in all it was a pretty mixed bag. I was pretty set on GULC until recently, and I was really hoping this would sell me on the school, but it didn't.

Speaking of mixed bags -- the swag bag included a t-shirt, waterbottle, sunglasses, luggage tag, a Hoya Lawya dog stress-ball-thing, and trail mix.


I liked 2 or 3 of the tables at the Student Activities fair, but a lot of them didn't seem to be prepared or have anything to talk about - many tables actually only had the sign on the table, and maybe some candy. But there were a few standouts. I liked what I heard about part-timers still being able to participate in clinics and/or journals. I loved the moot case, but wish they'd included one part-timer in the alumni panel.

User avatar
leezabee
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby leezabee » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:54 am

riverwater wrote:Does anyone know if we can submit the Intent to Enroll form and back out later? Or do we have to withdraw our apps from other schools? I'm digging my scholarship offer from Georgetown but haven't heard back on aid from three or four other schools (and I'm guessing I won't before April 4). Apologies if this question has already been asked.


Technically, the intent to enroll form does not say anything about withdrawing from other schools. I'm toying with the idea as well, but I'm concerned about getting in trouble. I'd be interested to know if anyone's done this successfully in other years.

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby Robbin Blue » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:37 pm

Just got my scholly offer upped as well, pretty happy with their new offer.

User avatar
MidnightinParis
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby MidnightinParis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:17 pm

Anyone heard about PILS yet?

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby JustHawkin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 pm

MidnightinParis wrote:Anyone heard about PILS yet?

+1

User avatar
Robbin Blue
Posts: 647
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby Robbin Blue » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:04 am

MidnightinParis wrote:Anyone heard about PILS yet?


Just got an e-mail saying I didn't get it. I forgot that I applied, so whatever. :lol:

musicdiplomacy
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:20 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby musicdiplomacy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:10 am

Robbin Blue wrote:
MidnightinParis wrote:Anyone heard about PILS yet?


Just got an e-mail saying I didn't get it. I forgot that I applied, so whatever. :lol:


+1 (or a -1, however you define it). Anyway, no, I didn't get the PILS. Congrats to those who did though!

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4149
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:12 am

Also didn't get the PILS, pretty sure I didn't apply for it though...whatever

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:12 am

musicdiplomacy wrote:
Robbin Blue wrote:
MidnightinParis wrote:Anyone heard about PILS yet?


Just got an e-mail saying I didn't get it. I forgot that I applied, so whatever. :lol:


+1 (or a -1, however you define it). Anyway, no, I didn't get the PILS. Congrats to those who did though!


Same here.

User avatar
theotherone823
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby theotherone823 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:25 am

politics89 wrote:
musicdiplomacy wrote:
Robbin Blue wrote:
MidnightinParis wrote:Anyone heard about PILS yet?


Just got an e-mail saying I didn't get it. I forgot that I applied, so whatever. :lol:


+1 (or a -1, however you define it). Anyway, no, I didn't get the PILS. Congrats to those who did though!


Same here.


+1

User avatar
sunfem
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby sunfem » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:36 am

JustHawkin wrote:
MidnightinParis wrote:Anyone heard about PILS yet?

+1

Got a call yesterday with a PILS offer! Super excited. They asked for a response by 4/11.

User avatar
theotherone823
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby theotherone823 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:38 am

sunfem wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:
MidnightinParis wrote:Anyone heard about PILS yet?

+1

Got a call yesterday with a PILS offer! Super excited. They asked for a response by 4/11.


Congrats!

User avatar
scoobysnax
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby scoobysnax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:47 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Also didn't get the PILS, pretty sure I didn't apply for it though...whatever

Same here, pretty okay with not getting into a program I didn't apply for :lol:

linkx13
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby linkx13 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:48 pm

scoobysnax wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:Also didn't get the PILS, pretty sure I didn't apply for it though...whatever

Same here, pretty okay with not getting into a program I didn't apply for :lol:


Did this seem like a mass email? Can you copy and paste?

I haven't received a call or an email, and am struggling to figure out what that may mean.

heirloom
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:47 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby heirloom » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:09 pm

MidnightinParis wrote:Anyone heard about PILS yet?


Got a phone call Monday afternoon with PILS acceptance.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest