Georgetown Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What seems be your hardest class?

Ks
1
5%
Civ Pro
7
37%
Torts
2
11%
Con Law
0
No votes
Crim
0
No votes
LRW
2
11%
I'm in §3...
7
37%
 
Total votes: 19

User avatar
ZipWhenSheMoves
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby ZipWhenSheMoves » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:17 pm

redial38 wrote:So does that mean that if you didn't get the e-mail, unless you request for consideration, you won't get ANY money at ALL from GT? It's very unlikely I'll be getting any need-based aid, and if I have to pay full price at GULC that would definitely sway my ultimate decision...


The consensus seems to be...maybe. Ha. If I'd been accepted later in the cycle I may just have chalked it up to that, but I was admitted in November so I feel like not getting the email means I'm not currently being considering for merit aid (until I ask and hopefully change that! maybe).

redial38
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby redial38 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:41 pm

ZipWhenSheMoves wrote:
redial38 wrote:So does that mean that if you didn't get the e-mail, unless you request for consideration, you won't get ANY money at ALL from GT? It's very unlikely I'll be getting any need-based aid, and if I have to pay full price at GULC that would definitely sway my ultimate decision...


The consensus seems to be...maybe. Ha. If I'd been accepted later in the cycle I may just have chalked it up to that, but I was admitted in November so I feel like not getting the email means I'm not currently being considering for merit aid (until I ask and hopefully change that! maybe).


So I just talked to a friend who is a 1L at Georgetown now. She said she had to ask to be considered, then wrote a short paragraph, and she did receive a scholarship. So all hope for us may not be lost!

User avatar
ZipWhenSheMoves
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby ZipWhenSheMoves » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:43 pm

redial38 wrote:
ZipWhenSheMoves wrote:
redial38 wrote:So does that mean that if you didn't get the e-mail, unless you request for consideration, you won't get ANY money at ALL from GT? It's very unlikely I'll be getting any need-based aid, and if I have to pay full price at GULC that would definitely sway my ultimate decision...


The consensus seems to be...maybe. Ha. If I'd been accepted later in the cycle I may just have chalked it up to that, but I was admitted in November so I feel like not getting the email means I'm not currently being considering for merit aid (until I ask and hopefully change that! maybe).


So I just talked to a friend who is a 1L at Georgetown now. She said she had to ask to be considered, then wrote a short paragraph, and she did receive a scholarship. So all hope for us may not be lost!


Excellent! Ya, in my email, I asked if there was anything I should do to be considered, hopefully they will present me with the option to do that.

Will keep you all updated.

kcdc1
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby kcdc1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Communicated to Gtown the other day and asked about schollies. They said all applicants will be considered and awards would begin in early March. No additional steps necessary at this time. Georgetown is one of my top 2, so I'll probably start inquiring further in March if I don't hear anything.

User avatar
ZipWhenSheMoves
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby ZipWhenSheMoves » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:04 pm

kcdc1 wrote:Communicated to Gtown the other day and asked about schollies. They said all applicants will be considered and awards would begin in early March. No additional steps necessary at this time. Georgetown is one of my top 2, so I'll probably start inquiring further in March if I don't hear anything.


I am so glad this contradicts me!

User avatar
ShrimpToastMasters
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby ShrimpToastMasters » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Anyone going to NYC reception tomorrow?

blackbirdfly
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby blackbirdfly » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:45 pm

kcdc1 wrote:Communicated to Gtown the other day and asked about schollies. They said all applicants will be considered and awards would begin in early March. No additional steps necessary at this time. Georgetown is one of my top 2, so I'll probably start inquiring further in March if I don't hear anything.


Good to know!

linkx13
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby linkx13 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:33 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:Anyone going to NYC reception tomorrow?


I'm still not clear exactly what this reception is and what it is for

mraemorris
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby mraemorris » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:26 pm

I'm sad the Admitted Student day tomorrow was cancelled. On the upside, I won't likely have work... :)

kls120
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby kls120 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Has anybody done a self-guided tour? How did that work out? Today's admitted students day was the only date I was able to make but it got cancelled.

mraemorris
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby mraemorris » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:21 pm

kls120 wrote:Has anybody done a self-guided tour? How did that work out? Today's admitted students day was the only date I was able to make but it got cancelled.


I may or may not have snuck in the weekend before last (I happened to be running in the neighborhood when I spontaneously decided to check it out, and there was no one at the door, so I just walked in). I wouldn't recommend it, at least on the weekend when most stuff is closed. I did get to see some of the classrooms, but I couldn't get into the library or the student center (building with the gym) - those were both staffed entrances. Maybe when the weather is warmer, especially during the week - I would email admissions and ask. I'm sure they can spare someone for half an hour to show you around. Admissions has been surprisingly responsive for me, given their crazy work load this time of year.

Good luck!

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2310
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby Slytherpuff » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Is anyone going to the March 6th Admitted Students Day?

User avatar
UserNameHere
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby UserNameHere » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:40 pm

fkt18 wrote:Is anyone going to the March 6th Admitted Students Day?


If you're actually Emma Watson, then count me in! :wink:

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Got a big like, book thing in the mail today.

It was nice to get something from Georgetown that was more than a minuscule letter.

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby kershka » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:12 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:Got a big like, book thing in the mail today.

It was nice to get something from Georgetown that was more than a minuscule letter.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4119
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:25 am

Imagine...dancing in the National Portrait Gallery? :?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:27 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:Got a big like, book thing in the mail today.

It was nice to get something from Georgetown that was more than a minuscule letter.


Got that too. It was pretty lengthy, and hard to keep open. But nice. I especially liked the part at the end that described the various neighborhoods that GULC people tend to live in. I wish other schools did that.

User avatar
cactusflower
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby cactusflower » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:44 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:Got a big like, book thing in the mail today.

It was nice to get something from Georgetown that was more than a minuscule letter.


Got that too. It was pretty lengthy, and hard to keep open. But nice. I especially liked the part at the end that described the various neighborhoods that GULC people tend to live in. I wish other schools did that.


Ooooo. Got my two pieces of paper in the mail yesterday. Excited for something more substantial lol

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby politics89 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Can anyone clarify the difference between the single admit days and the two-day "weekends"?

User avatar
UserNameHere
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby UserNameHere » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:36 pm

politics89 wrote:Can anyone clarify the difference between the single admit days and the two-day "weekends"?


One is one day, the other is two days? :lol:

Honestly, I think the whole point is to afford you flexibility. I wouldn't get worked up over which is better etc. etc. They're just trying to get you to campus.

Londonbear
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:19 am

Anyone ED?

Postby Londonbear » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 am

Has anyone that's ED received any merit aid information at all?

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Anyone ED?

Postby BmoreOrLess » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:12 pm

Londonbear wrote:Has anyone that's ED received any merit aid information at all?


Didn't the app say not to apply ED if you need merit aid?

User avatar
cactusflower
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Re: Anyone ED?

Postby cactusflower » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:18 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
Londonbear wrote:Has anyone that's ED received any merit aid information at all?


Didn't the app say not to apply ED if you need merit aid?



I can't see them denying need-based aid to an applicant simply because they applied ED but merit aid, perhaps.
Last edited by cactusflower on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Londonbear
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:19 am

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby Londonbear » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:30 pm

According to their website it says:
"Any candidate for whom receipt of institutional financial aid is a prerequisite for enrolling should not apply through the Early Decision process."

But I'm wondering if it's wishful thinking that they might just grant some kind of aid to ED students in the past or current.

User avatar
cactusflower
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Postby cactusflower » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Londonbear wrote:According to their website it says:
"Any candidate for whom receipt of institutional financial aid is a prerequisite for enrolling should not apply through the Early Decision process."

But I'm wondering if it's wishful thinking that they might just grant some kind of aid to ED students in the past or current.


I'm thinking merit-based aid might be a bit of wishful thinking... depending on your numbers... I'm a splitter so I'm not super hopeful.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest