Georgetown Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What seems be your hardest class?

Ks
5%
Civ Pro
35%
Torts
10%
Con Law
5%
Crim
No votes
LRW
10%
I'm in §3...
35%

Total votes: 20

leezabee

New

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Post by leezabee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:17 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
kraffcook wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:
Michigan1442 wrote:
Coming from work too- alright, business casual it is.
It's all casual, just dress warm. We always end up with a wide range of people wearing everything from gym shorts to full business suits, mainly because no one knows what they should wear. Seriously though, anything is good as long as you're dressed
In that case, I'll be wearing my business suit....kidding....but only because it's freezing outside.
I'll be showing up later in a look I'm calling as-many-layers-as-I-can-pull-off-and-still-be-work-appropriate. The dress pants are because I couldn't fit my leggings under jeans.

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks to everyone who came to the January Open House! There's a good chance I met some of you there (I was working the sign-in table for a while, was at most of the social events, and led a tour group). Anyway, the event went great and I hope you are all now totally committed to coming to GULC next year.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:04 am

Had a really great time at ASW! I definitely heard some references to TLS this weekend, but I didn't bother to ask for any usernames. Mock supreme court was very interesting, sessions were informative, , the bar was a good time, and I thought that altogether it was a really well put together event.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Edit: nevermind. Just want to say this Need Access bullshit is annoying.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Anyone else get an email about confirming you want to be considered for merit scholarships? There was no essay prompt, so I'm not entirely sure what materials to send in or if I should send anything in at all. Excited to be considered though!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:18 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Anyone else get an email about confirming you want to be considered for merit scholarships? There was no essay prompt, so I'm not entirely sure what materials to send in or if I should send anything in at all. Excited to be considered though!
I did. There is a link to a form that has an essay question on it. No guideline on length. Any thoughts?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:21 pm

lastsamurai wrote:Anyone else get an email about confirming you want to be considered for merit scholarships? There was no essay prompt, so I'm not entirely sure what materials to send in or if I should send anything in at all. Excited to be considered though!
I did not receive this.

waddle

New

Post by waddle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Leo wrote:
I did. There is a link to a form that has an essay question on it. No guideline on length. Any thoughts?
Yeah, I got the email and link to the same form. Length is a good question - I can't imagine them wanting it very long.

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:31 pm

"Tell us such thing as...what level of funding would make a difference in your decision."

This is tricky.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 pm

waddle wrote:
Leo wrote:
Yeah, I got the email and link to the same form. Length is a good question - I can't imagine them wanting it very long.
I received this as well. It's an interesting form but I agree, the essay length is probably suppose to be kept rather short. Going to have to think my answers over carefully before I submit.

anubis1911

Bronze

Post by anubis1911 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:41 pm

kershka wrote:
waddle wrote:
Leo wrote:
I received this as well. It's an interesting form but I agree, the essay length is probably suppose to be kept rather short. Going to have to think my answers over carefully before I submit.
Got one also

leezabee

New

Post by leezabee » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:10 pm

kershka wrote:
waddle wrote:
Leo wrote:
I got the email. Happy to be included. I was expecting this based on the read through I did of last year's thread. A lot of people were frustrated with their process of asking how much $ we want. I second having to think over things carefully.

Also, I just got a scholarship offer from another T14. Should I mention the exact amount?

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:18 pm

I got it as well, and already responded. I guess I didn't think over my answers as much as you guys are... oops

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:20 pm

leezabee wrote:
I got the email. Happy to be included. I was expecting this based on the read through I did of last year's thread. A lot of people were frustrated with their process of asking how much $ we want. I second having to think over things carefully.

Also, I just got a scholarship offer from another T14. Should I mention the exact amount?
I wouldn't unless it is a full ride. GULC might be willing to go much higher than you anticipate, but if you show all your cards then you will likely get less. Just my $.02 though.

ETA: even if it is a full ride, I probably wouldn't mention the exact amount. Vagueness generally helps in the earliest stages of negotiation.

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:30 pm

+1

Anyone know if they've done this in years past? It'd be nice to have some intel as to how this process played itself out for others.

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:52 pm

kemosabe wrote:
+1

Anyone know if they've done this in years past? It'd be nice to have some intel as to how this process played itself out for others.
Yeah, they have. The discussion starts here http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1850 I think people first started hearing back on page 85ish.

Summary of what I've read of the thread so far: people who asked for six figure scholarships to compete with other scholarships and had high stats didn't do as well (this is tentative because some people asked for a lot and still made it to the final round). People who emphasized how much they loved GULC did better. A small group of people from those in the "select group" (i.e. those of us who get this form to fill out) become finalists and are asked to submit a 150 word essay about their biggest mistake. The rest received notice that they were not going to be offered merit aid.

Still reading, but will update later with more info.

Edit: people start announcing actual scholarship amounts on page 101. Lowest was around 15k/year, highest I've seen so far was 27k/year. Seems like people who stated scholarship amounts from other T14s (within this range) received a matching offer.

Edit 2: It also sounds like if you get need based aid in excess of your merit aid, they replace your merit award with the need-based one instead of combining them. Not sure if this was true or not; just how some of last year's applicants read their scholarship award emails.
Last edited by kershka on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:16 pm

kershka wrote:
kemosabe wrote:
+1

Yeah, they have. The discussion starts here http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1850 I think people first started hearing back on page 85ish.

Summary of what I've read of the thread so far: people who asked for six figure scholarships to compete with other scholarships and had high stats didn't do as well (this is tentative because some people asked for a lot and still made it to the final round). People who emphasized how much they loved GULC did better. A small group of people from those in the "select group" (i.e. those of us who get this form to fill out) become finalists and are asked to submit a 150 word essay about their biggest mistake. The rest received notice that they were not going to be offered merit aid.

Nice! Glad to have received this email. Didn't write an exact sum of money, just stated that finances were going to be the make or break in my decision most likely because I'm funding law school on my own, K-JD.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:28 pm

Georgetown wrote:For those students who are offered merit scholarship awards, the response deadline will be in early April.
Wait... Does that mean we have to make our decision then? Or are they just saying that that's the latest they'll award scholarships?

kemosabe

Bronze

Post by kemosabe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:44 pm

kershka wrote:
kemosabe wrote:
+1

Edit: people start announcing actual scholarship amounts on page 101. Lowest was around 15k/year, highest I've seen so far was 27k/year. Seems like people who stated scholarship amounts from other T14s (within this range) received a matching offer.

Edit 2: It also sounds like if you get need based aid in excess of your merit aid, they replace your merit award with the need-based one instead of combining them. Not sure if this was true or not; just how some of last year's applicants read their scholarship award emails.
Thanks for the info! I'll take a look through that thread.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:22 am

Checking in, just got accepted today! Sad I missed the first ASW (and the odd scholarship email).

ZipWhenSheMoves

Bronze

Post by ZipWhenSheMoves » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:16 am

lawschool22 wrote:
I did not receive this.
Yea, me neither...any thoughts on what that means?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:39 pm

This scholarship process is frustrating. Some T14s are now waiting until mid February or March to release scholarship offers, and it is still somewhat early in the cycle for receiving actual decisions from some schools.

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:25 pm

kershka wrote:
kemosabe wrote:
+1

This advice applies to all schools, not just Georgetown:
That sounds about right. Last year, I didn't receive one of those e-mails, but I contacted them myself and basically asked to be considered and then they sent me one. The process is annoying, but it's worth trying. Even if they tell you you're not being considered anymore, it's sometimes still possible to get something if you keep emphasizing that money is a big concern. If you got an award from another school, I don't recommend giving exact numbers. Maybe say "A competitive law school offered me half-tuition" or something else broad like that. It lets them know they've got serious competition without showing your hand.

The awards themselves vary a lot. I know people that got 5k/year and people who got 40k/year. 10-15 is probably the average. In my experience talking to my classmates, mentioning other schools is usually your best bet to get more.

The thing about need/merit aid is true of all the top law schools. Essentially, what they do is calculate your overall need, then subtract your merit award and make up the difference in need-based aid. So, if your need exceeds your merit award, the merit award is basically meaningless (and conversely, if your merit award exceeds your need, you won't get much need-based aid). When I got my award, they gave me a large need-based grant then said, "hey, here's a little more on top of that because we like you". The need-based aid I got from Gtown was actually higher than any other top 20 school, so that made my decision easy.

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:23 pm

Anyone else just get the scholarship update email saying that we should just email our responses rather than use the form? Are people planning to just write their responses in the body of the message or attach a document?

alinor

New

Post by alinor » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:42 pm

kershka wrote:Anyone else just get the scholarship update email saying that we should just email our responses rather than use the form? Are people planning to just write their responses in the body of the message or attach a document?
I was planning on writing my response in the body of the email, but attaching my additional response. I probably won't submit it until the end of the weekend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”